Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ Next; Right Place, Right Time?

2»

Comments

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by dejoblue

Are they trying to bring back those elements of exploration and wonder that many cite as simply obnoxious time wasting features such as no mounts, no gates except via druids and wizards, etc. under the guise or with the intent of having useful benefit or at least meaningful implementation? Is old EQ where you had to hail NPCs and interact with them to discover the lore and get quests the new "sandbox"?

We will have to wait until August to see.

I agree with almost all of your skepticism about the release.  The above was rather interesting.  I do think they want to bring back time wasters, but at the same time provide enough options for the player to point their character in a different direction for the duration of the recovery. 

It seems everyone has a different definition of sandbox ... my hope is that a player will be able to prepare multiple pathways through the world with quests or customization of 'grinding' as Georg was hinting at.  When they fail, hop to a different one to continue progressing.  That is stated very abstractly ... 

Reference: "Grinding is ... fun". 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVIIIZ6ETtY

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by wizardanim

players that enjoy grinding exist

- I've met a few in different mmos that hated questing and would rather "mob grind"

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Nadia

- I've met a few in different mmos that hated questing and would rather "mob grind"

I prefer EQ style mob grind over questing shite any time. It required skill and offered many merry hours with nice people. After 10 years of quest grinding I'm kinda tired of it. TSW is the only MMO where quests are actually fun but not doing them for 10th time.

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by Piiritus

I prefer EQ style mob grind over questing shite any time. It required skill and offered many merry hours with nice people. After 10 years of quest grinding I'm kinda tired of it. TSW is the only MMO where quests are actually fun but not doing them for 10th time.

Depending on the XP curve, I have found that pulling non-stop will often give you more xp than running from point A, B, to C and killing mobs along the way.  This is exceptionally true in EQ1.  Up until the point of the crazy task add era - where you could get 25+% of a level or 15-20aa for an alt by sitting them in PoK.  Don't get me started on RAF.

Immersion is important, but for straight advancement, there sometimes isn't any better way.  They really need to augment what grinding is, 

To tie this back to the thread ... the hope becomes that EQN was indeed in the right place at the right time ... on August 2nd, with the right ideas.  Promoting a new system that combines the positives from these two mechanics - at the same time adds some new ones.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Depending on the XP curve, I have found that pulling non-stop will often give you more xp than running from point A, B, to C and killing mobs along the way.  This is exceptionally true in EQ1.  Up until the point of the crazy task add era - where you could get 25+% of a level or 15-20aa for an alt by sitting them in PoK.  Don't get me started on RAF.

Immersion is important, but for straight advancement, there sometimes isn't any better way.  They really need to augment what grinding is, 

To tie this back to the thread ... the hope becomes that EQN was indeed in the right place at the right time ... on August 2nd, with the right ideas.  Promoting a new system that combines the positives from these two mechanics - at the same time adds some new ones.

Amen!

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

If the combat is complex, fun, challenging, and rewarding; grinding can be lots of fun. Back when you had to grind in EQ1 in a group, it was so fun because if anyone was off their game, it could cause a group wipe, which then would require corpse runs to reclaim your gear. Players were friendly and helpful because the play style required it.

If you were rude or "trolling" no one would play with you and it was nearly impossible to advance very far solo. I miss that old community, where people would help each other and there weren't random queues to hide behind.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307
    I prefer grinding or dungeon running because it is me choosing to do something. I hate quests unless they are meaningful, like epic or legendary weapon meaningful or class specific and immersive. You simply cannot have runner, fetching and rat killing quests that are immersive. Great for initial training but by level 5 I am ready to jsut go kill whatever I feel like I can handle, or get a group and go! :)
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446

People are excited about it because no one knows anything about it.  Right now, this game is the prefect game for you becaues you can make it be whatever it is you desire. 

Since there is nothing saying what it is or isn't then there is no barrier in your mind stopping you from thinking it's going to be everything you've longed for.

Oh, and everything else out there right now is shit.  Neverwinter...wft!  Games are horrible these days.

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by Notimeforbs

Well for one, I think it's a little premature to stipulate if EQN will be the next... anything.  Seriously... people are getting their hopes up for nothing.  And I'm actually surprised by it.  Why am I suprised?

I think people were ready with SWTOR.  And because of that, I think it's past overdue.  SWTOR failed to deliver what people were ready to admit they wanted out of an MMO.  It turned out to be nothing more than the same old thing.  Honestly, EA and Bioware totally blew it.  People talk about how WoW had that perfect storm element going for it that made it so successful.  SWTOR had it too... and it simply did not deliver.  Not that it was a completely bad game.... it just didn't have that level of invention people were hoping it would have.

Now, we come to EQN, and people are getting excited all over again.  Except this time, it doesn't even make sense.  Bioware had an edge going for it.  It was basically the story of Blizzard all over again: their first MMO; unpresidented history of releasing top quality games that fans adore; excellent experience with online compatibility; proven competence in successful game design that improved with each game; that rare standard of quality you only receive from the best studios.  But with EQN... we have SOE.  They are THE studio to hate for all eternity.  They invented the jaded MMO gamer.  They regularly produce broken games for release.  They are the epitome of terrible customer service.

Still, I can understand the interest.  SOE used to be the beez-neez in MMO's.  And boy did they fall hard.  Their only saving grace, I think, is the slim possibility that they ate the bakery lot of humble pie and truly plan to bring back that magic they had with the origin EQ.  I can't say I feel good about rooting for them.... but I believe in second chances and my interest is piqued if only to see if maybe the impossible could happen.

We shall see soon enough.

Basically, what you said. That's exactly how I feel, and I'd actually love to be proven wrong, but I'm highly skeptical due to the past.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

I agree 100% with what you said there. I much rather just go out and explore and hunt with a group of people for a few hours than gather up a bunch of quests, go hunt mobs for those quests, when everyone's done with their batch, run back for turn-ins, wash, rinse and repeat. Doesn't feel like as much of an adventure when you're constantly going back and forth like that. I hope EQN can return that feeling of an actual hunt or adventure rather than the recent honey-do list MMOs of recent.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• sartoksartok Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

Well if it's any good and came out christmas time this year or something, it'd definitely be at the right time.

There isn't crap for anything decent out right now.   They would be mobbed with players.

Is there any advantage for a F2P game to release at Christmas and compete with the slew of other new holiday PC/console titles?

I suppose a pre-paid station cash card (or whatever currency EQN will use) would make a nice stocking stuffer.

LOL

I'd like to see it come out ON Christmas Day too.   Just to destroy family relationships, which is part of the everquest classic experience.  =P

Originally posted by Trudge34

I agree 100% with what you said there. I much rather just go out and explore and hunt with a group of people for a few hours than gather up a bunch of quests, go hunt mobs for those quests, when everyone's done with their batch, run back for turn-ins, wash, rinse and repeat. Doesn't feel like as much of an adventure when you're constantly going back and forth like that. I hope EQN can return that feeling of an actual hunt or adventure rather than the recent honey-do list MMOs of recent.

Oh I know and it is even worse when in a  game that has single player personal story crap where everyone is a special snowflake and the whole group has to go alllll the way across the map so that one player can kill miniboss X for their personal story quest line, so horrible in SWTOR and going to be the same in ESO or even worse because ESO says they are phasing you out so it looks to be a Diablo 3 type game, single player with multiplayer available.

Bleh so much trash out these days, holdin my hand telling em how special I am...how about no one is special until they are the best crafter with all the recipes on the server or the server first warrior tank in full tier gear or the uber ganker whose name everyone on the server knows, or even better yet, simply a guild tag. I remember getting into my first server first guild back in the day and getting whispers as I stood around congratulating me. I was part of a successful guild, that is what made me "special".

GAH I am ranting again, haha!

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Amazing how much people will hype up a game off of a few buzzy PR words and just inflate it in their heads to the next coming of Jesus.

So instead of people getting so caught up in the hype train that they keep asking what is EQ Next causes all other MMOs to die because 50 million people jump in to play it (which I will guarantee you will never happen or even get close to happening) maybe, just maybe, all those people who say they can't wait for this next game which is going to be sandbox to come out...... GO PLAY ALL OF THE SANDBOX GAMES THAT EXIST.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Amazing how much people will hype up a game off of a few buzzy PR words and just inflate it in their heads to the next coming of Jesus.

So instead of people getting so caught up in the hype train that they keep asking what is EQ Next causes all other MMOs to die because 50 million people jump in to play it (which I will guarantee you will never happen or even get close to happening) maybe, just maybe, all those people who say they can't wait for this next game which is going to be sandbox to come out...... GO PLAY ALL OF THE SANDBOX GAMES THAT EXIST.

Such as?

UO is 2d isometric and old.

Darkfall is action based and not full sandbox.

EVE is a spaceship spreadsheet.

Wurm is basically MINECRAFT.

MINECRAFT is MINECRAFT.

Age of Wushu/Wulin is a martial arts game.

ArcheAge is still being localized by Trion.

Everything elsee I can think of is post apoc or sci fi.

What high fantasy MMORPG sandbox is out there for us to play?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    This song comes around again on the mmorpg.com jukebox at least once a year.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Such as?

Darkfall is action based and not full sandbox. Agree

EVE is a spaceship spreadsheet. Agree

Wurm is basically MINECRAFT. Not it's not, does minecraft have all these features 

• Modify the terrain; dig, raise, flatten and sculpt the land around you!
    • Make your home on either the PvP or PvE server.
    • Craft and use thousands of unique items.
    • Wage war on other kingdoms, and lead yours to victory.
    • Discover and fight over religious artifacts on the PvP server.
    • Capture and breed animals from the environment.
    • Train 133 Skills, 10 Player Characteristics, and 3 Religion Characteristics.
    • Follow one of four unique deities and religions.
    • Hunt creatures such as the unique red dragon, forest giant, kyklops, troll king and others!
    • Become a priest or champion of your religion and learn powerful spells and enchantments.
    • Choose one of five meditation paths and take advantage of special meditation abilities.
    • Earn as many of our 200+ skill and achievement titles as you have time for!
    • Mount various creatures, from horses and carts to unicorns, bears and even dragons!
    • Construct, crew or even captain six different ship types with other players, from small rowing boats to impressive caravels.
    • Explore huge, diverse landmasses extending over 512sq km in total!Build a variety of structures, from guard towers to stone houses to fences and statues.
    • Found your own settlement wherever you desire; own land, build a farm, a castle, or perhaps an entire village!
    • Pave roads to connect settlements and plant signs to improve local infrastructure.
    • Live off the land by creating fields to farm a variety of crops including potatoes, garlic, cotton, wheat, strawberries, pumpkins and more!
    • Cook food using a huge range of ingredients.

http://wurmonline.

MINECRAFT is MINECRAFT. You got that right, it's not Wurm Online that's for sure.

Age of Wushu/Wulin is a martial arts game. It's a hybrid and not a sandbox but Smed would do well to look at some of the rev features this game has, esspecially the offline system and the new weather system with seasons and npc's and skills that system effects.

ArcheAge is still being localized by Trion. And is another hybrid but imo EQN biggest competitor, the games has some rev features that  expect EQN to have, if EQN does not have the same features then it really can claim the crown.

So one thing we have figure out is you don't actually know what i true sandbox mmo is because Wurm Online is way more than mine craft and a true sandbox mmo.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    the Theme Park era nears its end, about time
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    the Theme Park era nears its end, about time

The Hybrid era is now starting to take a hold imo.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Yes. It is the right place. Yes, it is the right time.

Whether this is the right game is yet to be seen.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Such as?

Darkfall is action based and not full sandbox. Agree

EVE is a spaceship spreadsheet. Agree

Wurm is basically MINECRAFT. Not it's not, does minecraft have all these features 

• Modify the terrain; dig, raise, flatten and sculpt the land around you!
    • Make your home on either the PvP or PvE server.
    • Craft and use thousands of unique items.
    • Wage war on other kingdoms, and lead yours to victory.
    • Discover and fight over religious artifacts on the PvP server.
    • Capture and breed animals from the environment.
    • Train 133 Skills, 10 Player Characteristics, and 3 Religion Characteristics.
    • Follow one of four unique deities and religions.
    • Hunt creatures such as the unique red dragon, forest giant, kyklops, troll king and others!
    • Become a priest or champion of your religion and learn powerful spells and enchantments.
    • Choose one of five meditation paths and take advantage of special meditation abilities.
    • Earn as many of our 200+ skill and achievement titles as you have time for!
    • Mount various creatures, from horses and carts to unicorns, bears and even dragons!
    • Construct, crew or even captain six different ship types with other players, from small rowing boats to impressive caravels.
    • Explore huge, diverse landmasses extending over 512sq km in total!Build a variety of structures, from guard towers to stone houses to fences and statues.
    • Found your own settlement wherever you desire; own land, build a farm, a castle, or perhaps an entire village!
    • Pave roads to connect settlements and plant signs to improve local infrastructure.
    • Live off the land by creating fields to farm a variety of crops including potatoes, garlic, cotton, wheat, strawberries, pumpkins and more!
    • Cook food using a huge range of ingredients.

http://wurmonline.

MINECRAFT is MINECRAFT. You got that right, it's not Wurm Online that's for sure.

Age of Wushu/Wulin is a martial arts game. It's a hybrid and not a sandbox but Smed would do well to look at some of the rev features this game has, esspecially the offline system and the new weather system with seasons and npc's and skills that system effects.

ArcheAge is still being localized by Trion. And is another hybrid but imo EQN biggest competitor, the games has some rev features that  expect EQN to have, if EQN does not have the same features then it really can claim the crown.

So one thing we have figure out is you don't actually know what i true sandbox mmo is because Wurm Online is way more than mine craft and a true sandbox mmo.

MINECRAFT can have whatever I put into it. I can even set up a cash shop on a MINECRAFT server.

Sorry to offend you, perhaps I should have said MINECRAFT is WURM but sorry WURM is pretty generic as a sandbox and reminds me of Second Life only in the woods.

Also, as I stated, there is NO, ZERO, NONE, ZIP, NADA high fantasy MMORPG SANDBOX game out there, except for EQNext and Archeage and AA looks to be a sandpark.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    This is the only game i care about, every other mmo is content with being a wow clone with zero community dependency.