Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Media] General: Name

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this bi-weekly comic, artist Blaz Klaric brings us his irreverent look into the foibles of the MMO worlds we love, and love to hate. Check out this week's installment, Mount!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• drowelfdrowelf Member UncommonPosts: 114
    that is why you need a good name book ..like Elthalerod the unready, or Harold Bluetooth, Maximus Minor  Old English names can be a lot of fun,  and are rarely  used.
  • ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Been there lol. I have changed servers in games to get the name I want. 

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• ellebishopellebishop Member UncommonPosts: 28
    lol D: dunno why, but naming the char is so important to me... often times i've spent more time on making my chars and naming them, than playing them.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I have a pretty short list of Go To character names. If I can't use those names in some way, I find I'm much less invested in the characters, as if all my avatars are an extended family of adventurers, who have dispersed across all dimensions in search of loot.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• PsycospankPsycospank Member UncommonPosts: 36

I used to care allot about naming my characters but for the simple reason shared above I would rather play than die trying to find the right name. Now I just select random and tweak the name to suit seems to work. Would be nice to get the wish list names but hey all in all its just a game.

Very Good depiction all the same :)

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    He looks like Doff Galoff

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

More than once, I've been pleasantly surprised to get the name I wanted, only to realize a few days later that I made a spelling mistake.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985
    Nice one, but was the toon designed just right for a Saints Row MMO?
  • caiozetcaiozet Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I think that MMO's should change the way players are identified. Like, every character has an ID such as "TF567H8", that is used when tracking the player, identifying or finding him, while making it possible for two players to have the same name without confusion or random numbers at the end.
  • SandricSandric Member UncommonPosts: 103
    You think that's bad.  Sandric is a name I have used in MMO's, forums and FPS's for almost 15 years now.  It originally was a name I randomly made up almost 20 years ago for a thief for a AD&D game my cousins were running for all the kids at my grandparents ranch as we stayed there a few weeks during the summer.  Now, unless I am in a beta I tend to not be able to use it as it is often taken.  SInce I have been using it as long as I have, I tend to believe its others leeching off it.  Heck I even have taken to using Sandrics (or Sandric's) Death on a few games/forums cuz of the irritation.  My goto wizard name Zanzopan isn't as often used nor is my Captain/Minstrel/Healer/etc Sutton, but they also sometimes pop us as used.

Major or Current Characters
    AC - The Brute lvl 85 macer -HG (retired)
    SWG - Lihone Su'alkn Master Ranger/ MCH - Flurry (Retired)
    EVE - Sulone - Cruiser Lover (Retired)
    LOTRO - Sandric lvl 50 Burg (and others)- Brandywine (Retired)
    GW2 - Sandric lvl 80 Thief - Dragonbrand (Retired)
    NeverWinter - Sandric lvl 60 Rogue - Dragonshard (Retired)
    Archage - Sandric lvl 50 everything - Naima (Active)
    Others (Lots) (Retired)

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Lol - that was great. There is so much going on in that comic with the shirt, pics on the wall, shaving, plus he can't think of a name. That's the least of his problems.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I've seen that guy in the comic before. He was on these very forums complaining about how easy the games have become. He also spent his life savings on Neverwinter packs and beat it one day. He said " Neverwinter was so easy I beat it in one day" Then he rolled this forest rogue and ate a hot pocket.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    I have quit character creation cause I couldn't think of a name. So this hits close to home. lol

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    I admit, I obsess over naming my characters in every game I play. But this is because I like to use the same name across different games, so it annoys me to no end when I put in the familiar name and get that hateful message "Name is not available". Lol, then I spend up to another 20 minutes trying different spelling variations until something takes.
  • ApocalypseSunriseApocalypseSunrise Member Posts: 80
    This is why I usually come up with character ideas and possible names in advance. No matter how original you think you are chances are that someone has already thought about that one special name you've got your heart set on. Being prepared with a couple of alternates makes things a lot easier once you're finally ready to enter a name.

Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

Ehh if I can't get the name I want I start creating variances of it.

Rachel

Raychel

Raychul

and so forth and so on.

• STAUDERWALKIESTAUDERWALKIE Member Posts: 18
    Yeah I agree with this comic..the stains on this gamer's shirt remind of a certain mmo player in southpark..good times :)

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I have two files of names, one male and one female. Both have over a 100 names. That may not sound impressive until you consider that I only add names to the lists when none of them are available and I eventually (uuughhh) find a new one to claim and add to a list.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

All databases do have a unique key, "TF567H8".  And MMOs are just databases with a GUI.

So each player record is:

Key  : TF567H8

Character Name : Darrel

Character Stats : Str, Con, Dex, Int, Wis,...

The lock on character names has nothing to do with database design and everything to do with player tolerance with seeing their character named used by other people.  I think I have seen a chat system as you described used in the last 15 years.  /w CharName:Key "R U there?"  I just can't remember where I saw it used and when. 

Such a system may make customer service difficult.  If customer #1 didn't get the key of customer #2.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by caiozet
    I think that MMO's should change the way players are identified. Like, every character has an ID such as "TF567H8", that is used when tracking the player, identifying or finding him, while making it possible for two players to have the same name without confusion or random numbers at the end.

I thought of this once but came to the conclusing that it might not work. Let's say you have 3 Guy's/girls in your friendslist with all the same name. One of them is your closest ingame friend and you want to send him/her something. How does the system know to which of the 3 persons you want to send it and perhaps there are more with the same name on the server or just a simple /tell, how would the system know to who you want to /tell?

On topic: I definitly "feel" to comic :D

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Problem is the limitation of the way these games are itemized now.  I remember in SWG you could actually play without name tags on and be able to tell people apart by not only how they dressed but by their faces.  Now a days they skimp on all that crap because little johnny jealousy is whining that he can't look as nifty as some other dude on the server.  In real life two chicks will come to blows over dressing alike but in our games they force us all to look like lemmings.  hmmm
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Well done  Blaz Klaric. That Cartoon is SO true. like many other I have spent hours trying to get the right name for my toons.
  • mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

Eve online uses last names, if everyone just had a different last name, or Star Trek Online was using e-mails I think... 

WoW has real ID, so it would put your real name on all of your characters and then even with a list of 6 Rand Al'thor's there would be 6 different people behind them popping up... 

In fact, this is a must have for WoW, because the name taken is a nightmare there and everyone has french accents and misspelled names ... Other MMO's actually allow numbers which is odd, because unless its a game about robots, it really doesn't make sense for people to be going around being Rachel289 , like they are all a bunch of mass-reproduced Cylon clones... 

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Gotta Love Ascii Codes, except when trying to invite people to groups or friend lists... Lol ) 
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Originally posted by ellebishop
    lol D: dunno why, but naming the char is so important to me... often times i've spent more time on making my chars and naming them, than playing them.

Same here, I come up with character concepts and everything.  Even if I end up not roleplaying them ever :p