Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Over a Million Register for Beta

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Square Enix has announced that over a million potential players have registered for a chance to play the beta, proving that interest in the 'rebirth' of Final Fantasy XIV is indeed high.

A massive-scale RPG true to the legendary franchise, the title features new and unique gameplay mechanics, such as the “Limit Break” system (originally introduced in FINAL FANTASY® VII), and the Armoury system which allows users to experience all of the classes in the game on a single character, and cross-platform gameplay between PC and PlayStation®3 system.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Saw this a little while ago as well.

Not too bad.  Would've expected less given it's history.

Despite being incredibly low for the longest time, their facebook page is now reaching 200k likes.  That's probably an increase of 150,000 or so since the beta has started.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Despite being incredibly low for the longest time, their facebook page is now reaching 200k likes.  That's probably an increase of 150,000 or so since the beta has started.

^Yeah exactly. I've been anticipating this game eagerly for quite some time now, however despite how impressed I've been with Yoshi-P and this game I would have never expected the recent rise in popularity.

I have friends who normally wouldn't consider such a game given it a second shot, yet I still didn't expect this recent surge of turnouts.  Although it will recede from it's initial launch due to those realizing it isn't the mmo for them, it certainly will retain more than previously anticipated numbers with the number of beta testers enjoying their experiences.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    one million strong....And growing . Each week there are fresh new invites sent out . And next month is Open Beta . Witch will attract about 1/2 to as much as two times the amount of people who have been wanting to try it out. My opinion this is one hell of a good game. A little old school mixed with new school and done just right.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

I think as more people praise the game, there are more people who want to see if the game is for them.

I liked the beta so I pre-orderd.

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126
    I just wish I could get a beta invite as I really want to play this game. Like really, really badly
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

who the hell gives a crap about likes on facebook

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by voltt

who the hell gives a crap about likes on facebook

Trying to see the purpose of this post.  Just to attack my own for a simple observation that related to the numbers regarding another system (beta)?  Has no other qualities it seems.

I'm sorry you feel the need to personally attack people to try and get them to respond to you in a hostile way.  I'm equally sorry if I offended you with my observation that I believe has some relation to the post created by a staff member.

Have a good one.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    The beta weekends may be the most fun I have had on an MMO gamewise. Looking forward to release.
  • BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184
    The beta weekends have been a LOT of fun! I can't wait for release :D

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Now how many of this million will subscribe is the question?

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• adeladel Member UncommonPosts: 24
    This game is 100 % better than the original release.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by MondoA2J

Exactly.  Of course everyone wants to try the game out before they take the plunge and buy it.  As solid of a game it might be, how much of it is "been there, done that?"  Are people just looking for a filler until the next big title releases?  Or are these applicants truly anxious to get their hands on this title?  Time will tell. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I know I will have two subs...oen for myself and the other for the wife. 

Perfectly happy paying a sub for a great game...especially if it means keeping the cheap-ass F2P trash out.

prolly less gold-spmmers too..

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Tierless
    So many of so starved for a decent MMO, so sad.

arr is pretty decent to and it will only get better

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Pre-ordered, and can't wait for the release :)

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    I was excited about the game when it first launched. I'm willing to give it a try again after this re-launch and I want to help them make it better, hence why I signed on for beta.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I'm waiting for open beta before I pre-order the collector's edition...I never buy a game unless I've played it before...never.  I always planned on buying this though, but rules are rules, and that's one of my rules hehe.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I'm waiting for open beta before I pre-order the collector's edition...I never buy a game unless I've played it before...never.  I always planned on buying this though, but rules are rules, and that's one of my rules hehe.

I heard that the Collectors physical pc edition is already sold out on the Square store. And apparently that's the only place to get the pc collectors edition.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

We'll see I guess.  But seeing as F2P games constantly use "registrations" as somehow being proof of how successful they are I think it is just as relevant.  Also it is a lot more than were interested in the first version at this point in its development.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

It is not surprising seeing this game become so popular. There are a lot of situations that have boosted interest in this game without people even knowing what FF is about. I'd say the biggest has been the discovery that ARR is going to be the only MMORPG released this year. After that, there is the poor showing of its competitors - ESO, Wildstar, ArcheAge, All of which showed poorly or didn't show at all. I think a million is just the beginning, there will be a lot more.

Originally posted by Coated

It is not surprising seeing this game become so popular. There are a lot of situations that have boosted interest in this game without people even knowing what FF is about. I'd say the biggest has been the discovery that ARR is going to be the only MMORPG released this year. After that, there is the poor showing of its competitors - ESO, Wildstar, ArcheAge, All of which showed poorly or didn't show at all. I think a million is just the beginning, there will be a lot more.

True.

I honestly think the competition is almost as weak as it can get at this point for it's launch window.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    What other recent betas does this remind me of and how did they turn out in the end?

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    What other recent betas does this remind me of and how did they turn out in the end?

Although such statements rarely are followed up by the poster returning to the thread, I am curious as to what other betas your referring to?

Seriously i'll wait lemme know what game in recent MMO launch history had 1mil+ registered beta users...

Oh and if we throw in subscription game into the criteria i'm going to have to make some popcorn... Haters go'n hate

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

The denial is strong with this one.

Let us hear how you correlate the high number of beta applications to the failure of the games in question. This'll be amusing.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by jskeets916

Although such statements rarely are followed up by the poster returning to the thread, I am curious as to what other betas your referring to?

Seriously i'll wait lemme know what game in recent MMO launch history had 1mil+ registered beta users...

Oh and if we throw in subscription game into the criteria i'm going to have to make some popcorn... Haters go'n hate

GW2 had over 1mil in 48hour when they opened beta reg