Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reality Check

13»

Comments

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    What I tend to do if I am with a party of new people before the dungeon I will say one of two things One "This is my first time here so just putting that out there " and two if it is not my first time I will say before we start has everyone done this dungeon before ? IF I get a No just before Key points in the dungeon ill stop and explain things . Like Copperbella Mines . The Flan do not attack it let the bomb blow it up . Kill the mobs trying to attack the bomb when the Flan is in little pieces then we kill it . Things like that . Guidance and a teachable moment .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Bjelar

Heh, I remember the day TSW launched. I joined a PUG for the first team-dungeon. I got yelled at for not knowing the bossfights.

I politely reminded them that the game launched today, and although I wasn't new to MMOs, I was new to this game -and certainly new to this dungeon.

Then I was told that if I was too stupid to read up on a dungeon before entering, I shouldn't play MMOs. Yes, it did hurt a little. I still remember it  :(

To keep a long and boring story long and boring, I do think the MMO community is its own worst enemy some times. It isn't easy be'in green, but in MMOs you'd better have a thick hide.

Very recognisable...

Espescially the so called pro players have this attitude in their rush to glory before leaving another conquered MMO behind.

And then there is casual players, those spend less time conquering a game and more time being social in it.

A freshly released MMO shows you the worst crowd ever.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by BradD77
    when did video games (MMOs) become life threatning just because its someone first time in a boss fight or what ever???   People needs to get a life and just sit back and think to themselves am i really yelling at this person, this is is first time here and yelling over a game.  These games are meant to have fun not to be controled by and if you let that happen, your pathetic to have your life revolve around a game.

A-effing-men to this, and all of the other posts here with this kind of message. The whole elitism thing has never made any sense in my mind, because it's seriously baffling to me that people can take a video game so seriously -- to the point where they're literally frothing at the mouth in anger just because someone doesn't know a particular dungeon pattern, boss fight, etc.

I really loathe how mean-spirited the atmosphere in the mmorpg genre has seemed to become over the years, and it's a large part of why I haven't been pursuing these games as much anymore. It's also part of the reason I like having the option to solo in online games. In the event I do find one I want to play for the long haul, I'll likely be playing strictly with a guild, preferably with adult players that actually have a life outside of the game and the mentality/personality that goes along with it. PUGs these days, are for the birds.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    Originally posted by tkreep
    if a person tries to lecture me in some online game in a disrespectful manner just because i was new to something i will simply say shut your bitch ass up and /ignore list

Have you ever played Wow? If you didn't, better. Those mentality there of selfproclaimed uber pro players "Hand of Vir'gins" are so toxic, making you want start WWIII. It doesn't matter if you new, if you really nice person, rocket or nuclear scientist, doctor or Nobel prize winner, if you're new to the game - you're n00b. By them, game is too complex too understand and you need bloody experince which is hard to get and require no life, 7 years perhaps.

WoW is famous for my ignore list and the game raises a persons tolerance to douche bags.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by sado2020

Just got off of AoW after I was getting cussed out for failing something in a group, what makes it better is the devs added a middle finger emoticon to really get the point across.  Yeah it was my fault and it was my bad but the silly thing of being virtually screamed at on a computer game is just pointless.  I was ready to toy with the idea of explaining my issue with the others in my group but I was about positive it would have caused more F-bombs.

I also feel youtube and game guide wiki sites help breed the problem too.  Now youre supposed to hunt for these guides before going into something so youre not the weakest link. Like someone else said what happened to experiencing these moments for yourself?

Yep, and sites like "elitistjerks" don't help either. You see that name and think, "Ha, they're just being funny in a satirical kind of way" but really, I bet sites like theirs have played a fairly substantial role in turning more and more people into... elitist jerks.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by plaxidia

Originally posted by rhavok

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989 When I was 14 World of Warcraft originally came out.... I played a Holy Paladin and I raided within the first 4 months of the game. I did MC, Naxx, AQ20, and AQ40 as each of the individual raids were released. Is it so bad to yell at a person for their "first time" when I myself was raiding at the age of 14? Man that was a long time ago... anyways no excuse!
    As I read over your post I am not sure if you agreeing saying yelling at a new person is bad and you shouldn't expect every to know everything starting out.  Or if you are using your experience saying you were 14 and endgame raiding in four months as an example that everyone should know what to do.  If it is the former ignore my post, if it is the latter...

Yes it is bad to yell at someone, being new is a valid excuse for just about anything in life.  

If you don't know how to drive a manual transmission car, what do you think would teach you better? Me yelling at you as the car stalled out for the fifth time, and finally me getting out and slamming the door while I said "I knew how to drive a manual transmission when I was 14, how can you not know. No I don't care that you haven't driven one before. Shut up noob."

Maybe it would be better if I explain how it worked, and helped you understand the basics.

When you were 14 and you rolled a paladin at the character creation screen, did you know how to do MC, Naxx and AQ20 at level 1?  Did you fully understand your role as a Holy Paladin at level 1, or even at level 10?  Sure you had a better idea of it by 30, but you weren't "pro" yet.

You just said you have four months of getting to that point.  You didn't log in the first time and know how to get attuned to molten core,  I venture to say you didn't even know where it was.

Do you think that at the time of character, the priests starting out  at level 1 knew they would have to MC Rasivious' students 60 levels later? 

Projecting your knowledge on the genre upon others is unfair.  I have been playing MMO's longer than you, when you were 14 and cutting your teeth I already had 5 years of MMO's under my belt.  Is it fair to assume that I know more than you because of that?  Absolutely not, nor does it make it true.

You have many years of experience now, but that doesn't give you the right to belittle someone who has zero experience.  How you treat these people has a direct effect on the game.  If you yell at them and belittle them how long do you think they will stick around?  They will probably say something like "This game is not for me, and quit."

Guess what that might have a been a future healer or tank that helped your group.  That person might have ended up being better than you, heaven forbid.

Everyone is new at some point, and sitting there saying being new is not an excuse for not understanding the game is blatant ignorance and is an example of elitism that plagues our genre. 

I like you ;) More of us need to be standing up and taking control of these communities. I am sick to death with the "Noob" mentality and the unwillingness of people to help one another. It seems a great deal of people have stopped teaching our young/new how to be kind instead of hurtful and its sad.

And to the "I was 14 and doing blah blah blah" I had a guildie who behaved this way once, as the main tank raid healer he always wanted to group with me so when he (He also played a pally but in EQ2) decided to roll a wizard he asked to group and as a lesson I would play "How many times can I break your armor". See cause Wizards are not a priority for the healer in a group in the game I am referring to. Eventually he asked why I kept letting him die and I responded with "Why do you keep trying to tank with a wizard?" He did get the point and I actually saw a change in his mentality after that. Even on his main he was far more kind to others. I guess the moral here is that its great to be good at what you do. Its greater to be a teacher so others can be great with you. ;) That and what goes around comes around eventually ;)

you know I fill sad for these kids I didn't get into MMO gmaeing until I was in the military and I needed a time filler at tnight that wouldn't get me in trouble, when I was 14 I didn't play video games I went outside and did things with friends, and im kinda glad I did.

that aside I agree with this not everyone is made equal and EVERYONE is a noob at first, ( hate that phrase ) we all simply learn what to do via trial and error or we got someone to teach us. some people are lucky enough to have someone to teach us right off the bat, and cause of this they think they are better then the people wo didn't. yall got to rember these things not just forget them and assume you where always elite.

the only elite are the ones who ran it the very first time and made all the guide that you use cause your to lazy to figure it out yourself.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya
    What I tend to do if I am with a party of new people before the dungeon I will say one of two things One "This is my first time here so just putting that out there " and two if it is not my first time I will say before we start has everyone done this dungeon before ? IF I get a No just before Key points in the dungeon ill stop and explain things . Like Copperbella Mines . The Flan do not attack it let the bomb blow it up . Kill the mobs trying to attack the bomb when the Flan is in little pieces then we kill it . Things like that . Guidance and a teachable moment .

And, that's how dungeons should be played!  Especially if you're using group finders and what not because you have no idea who those people are at all.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Wish we were to the point with AI where they could make encounters difficult without being scripted. 
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Well op you answered one question I had i.e which classes can tank ;)
  • separateunionseparateunion Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    When I was 14 World of Warcraft originally came out.... I played a Holy Paladin and I raided within the first 4 months of the game. I did MC, Naxx, AQ20, and AQ40 as each of the individual raids were released. Is it so bad to yell at a person for their "first time" when I myself was raiding at the age of 14? Man that was a long time ago... anyways no excuse!

Attitudes like this are what turned me off to WoW. The last straw for me was when one of the guild officers was berating people in guild chat for voicing their concerns that the guild was becoming split into a core group, who did all the raiding, and the outer circle, who constantly got left out in favor of the core group. I tried to step in to mediate, at which point, someone contacted the guild leader, who immediately logged in. He asked me to hop on vent, accused me of white knighting, and then a guild leader from a small guild that raided with us (who is quite possibly the biggest jackass of a 40+ year old I've ever met) logs into vent uninvited and begins verbally assaulting me. At that point, I asked myself why I was bothering with this game anymore, /gquit, and cancelled my account. I haven't gotten into a serious MMO since, partially because I don't want to spend my leisure time mired in online drama.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    ^^ that's exactly why I left - too many very very unhappy people playing without the wit to understand why they are so angry in a game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D