Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When is enough.. well... enough

RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
I don't start threads here often but can we stop the speculation of what EQN can be and will be.. So many posts of what if this, what if that.. Honestly, we have no idea.. speculation is a dangerous road. Yes I'd love for EQN to be the next greatest MMO, but  due to the limited information available we just have to wait it out.

Comments

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Rynet
    I don't start threads here often but can we stop the speculation of what EQN can be and will be.. So many posts of what if this, what if that.. Honestly, we have no idea.. speculation is a dangerous road. Yes I'd love for EQN to be the next greatest MMO, but  due to the limited information available we just have to wait it out.

I can understand that sentiment.  I am watching this game quietly in my peripheral view and you are correct, all we can do is wait.  However, a lot of members on this website enjoy speculation.  It is a form of expression that we see quite often here on these boards and while it does often start wars, it is a way for a lot of people to express what they miss from other games of old.  As long as it doesn't get crazy, i usually see no problem with it, though i can understand the irritation of seeing the feed eaten up entirely by these threads.  It just shows the excitement for the game.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    I have to agree with you!
  • ClassicEQClassicEQ Member Posts: 145

Ok we will stop. No one post anything until August 2.

See you guys. This forum was fun while it lasted.

• ClassicEQClassicEQ Member Posts: 145

I wish he would have posted this thread sooner, we could have avoided a lot of fun and enjoyable discussions.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

When you've been around here long enough you realize it's inevitable. Most recently the talk of Camelot Unchained was so bad you couldn't see talk about anything else on the front page forum activity.  I just stay out of it now.  

I got really involved in the discussion boards for The Secret World years ago because I loved the concept.  We had so many good ideas on those boards, and ultimately the game was completely different than we imagined.  A dungeon grind themepark instead of something so much more.  Granted, it's one of the better themeparks ever made, but still not even close to the game we imagined.

EQNext is far along in development, and speculating about it at this stage is about as futile as anything can be.  We will have some official information soon, and then people will have something tangible to discuss.

I wouldn't tell people not to discuss it though.  I would warn them not to get their hopes up about any of their ideas.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

This is a video game, who cares if a million people want to speculate over what it may or may not be? It has no effect on anything whatsoever, since its such a meaningless thing.

People just feel the need to log into an internet forum and start imposing their own viewpoints on everyone else. You've done it just there, pot meet kettle.

• IakXasturIakXastur Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I'm not a big poster on forms myself, but I'm really wanting to play EQNext. If it's as good as EQ Classic, I would be stoked. As for all the topics getting posted, everyone has something they want from the game and with the lack of information out about the game, speculation is all anyone can do. Heck, as soon as the game is shown, the forum will be flooded with even more half wrought ideas that are as far off as all the ones coming out. All the current topics are doing, is keeping the interest in this game going. If the forum was completely dead, I would be worried about the game in entirety.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Or you could choose to ignore those threads...
  • RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

When you've been around here long enough you realize it's inevitable. Most recently the talk of Camelot Unchained was so bad you couldn't see talk about anything else on the front page forum activity.  I just stay out of it now.  

I got really involved in the discussion boards for The Secret World years ago because I loved the concept.  We had so many good ideas on those boards, and ultimately the game was completely different than we imagined.  A dungeon grind themepark instead of something so much more.  Granted, it's one of the better themeparks ever made, but still not even close to the game we imagined.

EQNext is far along in development, and speculating about it at this stage is about as futile as anything can be.  We will have some official information soon, and then people will have something tangible to discuss.

I wouldn't tell people not to discuss it though.  I would warn them not to get their hopes up about any of their ideas.

Great post, and yes I agree with your sentiment about not discussing it. I just hope they don't give their hopes up about their ideas. Like I said it would be amazing if half of these intrigues comes true. But don't rest yourself on it. It could be amazing or just another game to shove underneath the bed.

• RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by IakXastur
    I'm not a big poster on forms myself, but I'm really wanting to play EQNext. If it's as good as EQ Classic, I would be stoked. As for all the topics getting posted, everyone has something they want from the game and with the lack of information out about the game, speculation is all anyone can do. Heck, as soon as the game is shown, the forum will be flooded with even more half wrought ideas that are as far off as all the ones coming out. All the current topics are doing, is keeping the interest in this game going. If the forum was completely dead, I would be worried about the game in entirety.

A lot of us would love to relive the past that was EQ classic. I for one loved it. I still play it today, but it's not the same as the thrill we had many years ago. I personally think it was the community and the the fear of losing everything we had acquired when we died.. We miss the unknown behind every corner.. 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

So you are here reading the forum and then saying don't read the forum? I'm currently mmorpg homeless and am patiently waiting for EQN. This is all I have until then, so I'll continue to peacefully discuss away until Aug 2nd. You are free to leave or join us. Still got 30 days to go, so we have plenty of time to beat every possible horse to death, rez it, and kill it all over again. I get where you're coming from, but I think a lot of us are just bored and hoping things are good on Aug 2nd. Hopefully not many think what they say here has an effect on the game.

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by IakXastur

A lot of us would love to relive the past that was EQ classic. I for one loved it. I still play it today, but it's not the same as the thrill we had many years ago. I personally think it was the community and the the fear of losing everything we had acquired when we died.. We miss the unknown behind every corner.. 

Check out EVE or Darkfall

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Allein

So you are here reading the forum and then saying don't read the forum? I'm currently mmorpg homeless and am patiently waiting for EQN. This is all I have until then, so I'll continue to peacefully discuss away until Aug 2nd. You are free to leave or join us. Still got 30 days to go, so we have plenty of time to beat every possible horse to death, rez it, and kill it all over again. I get where you're coming from, but I think a lot of us are just bored and hoping things are good on Aug 2nd. Hopefully not many think what they say here has an effect on the game.

<sigh/>   Six months now and no MMORPG.  I am hoping that the launch is amazing and I can get back to gaming soon.

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

Patience is in very short supply around here, and people (in general) are so desperate for something new and innovative that they are chomping at the bit on the forums. Wishing for their dream game and such.. ;)

I'm personally keeping an open mind and open heart that allot of the community of EQ1 will at least give it a try and we can go from there. Because like many here I think its the people and the community that will make or break the game as long as there is no outright failings in gameplay. But yeh getting your hopes set on something you have no control over is futile and patience is a virtue ;D

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Meh, people are excited and want to talk about it.  And since there is no info to really talk about all there is to do is speculate endlessly lol.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Without an official forum, I think all of us secretly hope our feedback here will in some way shape EQ Next as they finish it up.  Sure, they are far along, but if they see great ideas and support for their game, you never know how it might influence their decisions.  A tweak here, a feature there, who knows.  Smedley is diligent and an information junkie, I wouldn't put it past him to look over the EQ Next section of the biggest mmorpg site on the net.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Do you honestly think your topic have any effect on this tsunami of hype EQN topics?

Do you?

Its getting worse and worse with every new AAA game and with help of mmorpg.com staff hyping it who can stop it?

Ever reply or topic in EQN section your in a way helping them more with hype.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by plaxidia

Patience is in very short supply around here, and people (in general) are so desperate for something new and innovative that they are chomping at the bit on the forums. Wishing for their dream game and such.. ;)

I'm personally keeping an open mind and open heart that allot of the community of EQ1 will at least give it a try and we can go from there. Because like many here I think its the people and the community that will make or break the game as long as there is no outright failings in gameplay. But yeh getting your hopes set on something you have no control over is futile and patience is a virtue ;D

If the game is true sandbox and have harsh rules concerning travel or death penalty's EQN fail for sure, today's gamers maybe looking for something new and are desperate but they want easy no risk mmo's.

It looks like people want old days back, but they dont realy its only a very small group that still can handle timesink and harcore gameplay or harsh enviroment with high penalty my gues 99% don't have that anymore, they want easy safe gameplay.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

You guys are under the idea that a lot of MMORPG players use this site?

I bet for every 20 MMORPG players you line up, only 1 of them knows about or goes to this website. It isnt as popular as youre making it out to be.  It could be even higher odds, but I was being generous. I've been an avid MMO player for years, and I just learned about this site in March. Imagine people who dont care for talking about games or researching them.

Most my friends (That have also played MMOs) probably dont even know when the EQN reveal is and probably wont think about the game until a few days before it comes out.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by hMJem

You guys are under the idea that a lot of MMORPG players use this site?

I bet for every 20 MMORPG players you line up, only 1 of them knows about or goes to this website. It isnt as popular as youre making it out to be.  It could be even higher odds, but I was being generous. I've been an avid MMO player for years, and I just learned about this site in March. Imagine people who dont care for talking about games or researching them.

Most my friends (That have also played MMOs) probably dont even know when the EQN reveal is and probably wont think about the game until a few days before it comes out.

people who have a solid home in a MMO are not found on this site often hence why their are so many WoW haters and no a lot of supporters.

I my self did not realy start comeing to this site regular until CoH went down.

so this basicly will tell you is a good chunk of people here are the ones who are going to protest about the current way of MMO cause there isn't anything they like themselves.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I'm so sorry that I have offended you with my speculation .

The dangerous road I have been treading was thwart with many hidden dangers.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

This thread neatly circumvents my idea for a sarcastic thread / poll on what type of ogre flatulence audio that we want in EQ Next.  (I must admit I'm torn between 'moist and fruity' and 'quake-makers'.)

There is simply too much unknown about this game to discuss, and speculation simply adds to the misinformation.   It's only a month until it is revealed; let's just wait and see, shall we?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

I completely agree. It is sad and I wonder if these people even play mmos or is this site the game for them?

A classic reference

Ben Affleck explains the internet to Jay and Silent Bob

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

If Smedley runs EQN like he did PS2, things will be pretty great for EQN. 

He put someone in charge that knows how to make a game fun and have them listen to the community. Planetside 2 is a great game and the fact that they listened to what the veterans had to say about how thing should be done was pretty cool.

I am not saying they did everything that was asked but they actually used the info to make the game awesome.

If PS2 is an example of how they are going to run EQN from a launch standpoint, we should be in Closed Beta in the Fall. Maybe even as soon as October. Then a release in the Spring/Summer.... or maybe even sooner. They have had like 5 years of development and the content has to be huge by now.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

But but...

(Is this your first rodeo, here on mmorpg.com? Because we've got a long, long, long way to go yet.)

It'll get lots worse, before it gets better. Note: "Better" is at least a full year after release.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.