Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If all MMO die tomorrow, will you ....

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

First I'd be like, "Did I step into the twilight zone or something?  On the same day every MMO died, and instead of discussing this incredibly unlikely and weird event all these gamers are just playing games like nothing happened!"

Then I'd continue playing all the other games I normally play, but also search for a long-form PVE game to sate that need.  Things like Skyrim don't really do it for me, on account of the combat starting out dull and becoming outright broken after you've progressed a bit.  I need a game which continues to present interesting challenges to me, and Skyrim just breaks.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Assuming MMOs were gone and were never coming back, I'd just keep doing what I'm doing now, playing whatever fun games I can find and not worrying too much about games that aren't fun.  I'm sure these forums would either go away or adapt to the new reality and I'd make my decision whether to spend time her or not based on that.

Would I miss MMOs?  Nope, I don't miss them now.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

The new Shadowrun reloaded game comes out at the end of the month. Supposed to be a pretty robust set of editing tools so you can make your own multiplayer fun. 

If that game turns out well, I'll be MMOless for at least the next  months.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Ill be like OMG FINALY!!! maybe we can start making good MMOs again and not copy WoW's rubbish :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't need MMO's,i actually did not like gaming period in my younger days.It is just now a convenient and cheap form of entertainment to keep me out of bars and wasting money other ways.Being older now i also cannot go out and play sports every night of the week,so gaming fills those boring slots.If no MMOs no biggie,i'll work out,watch movies visit friends,chat with friends,watch the boob tube,take dogs for walks ,tons of stuff to do when you feel bored.watch UFC :D

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Ill be like OMG FINALY!!! maybe we can start making good MMOs again and not copy WoW's rubbish :)

If the genre died, and I was a developer, I wouldn't waste my time trying to revive it. It died for a reason...

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

play my single player games..

MMOs today are so single player and anti social anyways.Games like Fallout 3/Vegas, Elder Scrolls,The Witcher and the like would suffice in place of MMO's

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by IridescentOrk
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Pretty much what I do now, play my single player games. Minus coming here, though. Most likely, I would not delete my account on MMORPG.com, for somehow I can not seem to give up hope.

^^ this

Same.  All MMOs have already died for me as I can never stay in any MMO for any moderate period of time and have more commitment to single player games than MMOs ever since the release of WoW's Cata.

Would actually be thrilled if all MMOs died as hopefully there will be a commitment to producing good single player games again.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    If MMORPGs were to suddenly stop and cease to exist, I would not shed a tear.  If I wanted to play Online-Only-SPRPGs, I have some fine SPRPGs already that do not require that online connection to play, nor the possibility of trying to take my money on a regular basis.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ThebozzThebozz Member UncommonPosts: 117
    I would just continue to play D&D as I currently do and continue to wish there was a good replacement for the times when I want to play, but can't get the group together.
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I am one of just 3 other people who voted honestly that they would came here and rant. If all the MMOs announced they were closing tomorrow this forum would be on fire with endless debate for months or even years as to what "killed" the MMO. I would be working over time to convince everyone it was WoW's fault.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    if mmos die tomorrow i jump off..........the mmo wagon to other great genres less life consuming and equally or more fun. Oh wait, i do that already when i take breaks from the same sameness in mmos.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well im not even playing any mmorpgs at the moment as there are no good ones out there..

So i will carry on playing the other games i play.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I would not miss MMOs because this genre has become all about selling pixels in cash shop to enhance otherwise shallow content and limited gameplay. My hopes are on EQN, because previous two were very good games. If it flops then I think I'm done with MMOs for at least couple of years.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

I could live without MMO's. I could live without films, or books for that matter.

An interesting question would have been. "Given a choice of losing MMO's, fantasy films, fantasy books or solo rpgs" which would you pick? As nearly all MMO's have a fantasy theme, that would be a fair one to ask. :)

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

I have so many games i still need to play or finish if all mmo's stopped i would move on to solo/multi/co-op player games.

And rant here:P

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Interesting results. Most voted they will move on.

However, there is plenty of rant here for those who claim the market no longer produces MMOs they like and they are not playing one. So while the question is not exactly the same, it shows an interesting phenomenon here.

Which is, the vote does not seem to match behavior. I wonder if this is a case of cognitive dissonance. Too bad none of this information is gathered in a scientific manner. Otherwise, it can probably be the basis of an interesting psy paper.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

However, there is plenty of rant here for those who claim the market no longer produces MMOs they like and they are not playing one. So while the question is not exactly the same, it shows an interesting phenomenon here.

Which is, the vote does not seem to match behavior. I wonder if this is a case of cognitive dissonance. Too bad none of this information is gathered in a scientific manner. Otherwise, it can probably be the basis of an interesting psy paper.

Or the poll was so flawed, you can take whatever you want from it, and run with it..  Just saying..

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I would start a kick starter campaign and be in a long line of people who took money for little to know work and/or experience. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    In all honesty it would be quite a relief; something less to waste my time on, perhaps I would find something more productive to do instead.  
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I was brainstorming about how to translate my pencil and paper world into an virtual one for a decade before MMOs even existed.  I'd just go back to doing more of that.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Or the poll was so flawed, you can take whatever you want from it, and run with it..  Just saying..

That is what i take from it .. most don't admit they like to rant here .. probably because of cognitive dissonance.

And of course it is flawed. If it is scientific, i wouldn't be ruminating about it here, but working on a paper already.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    I know myself, and probably many would hardly even notice.  I mean I keep up with the news and all but yeah been doing a lot of other things for a while now.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    I would wonder how such an absurd scenario came to be. Then watch some series.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

One of the stranger polls I've seen.

Anyway, I'm glad mostly everyone seems to be pretty level headed, going by the poll results.

I would just move on and find something else to do.