Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC. Will using a pad for XIV be a hindrance?

SefirusoSefiruso Member Posts: 23

With my setup currently in limbo and needing some investment and a fix I've been playing the Beta with a Xbox 360 pad via USB purely for comfort. 

The only issue so far is some of the targeting is a bit iffy especially during FATES. My question is really are other people using a pad to play? And will it eventually lead to issues in groups and end game not using or being familiar to using the keyboard set up (Not like it would take long to get used to)

I've been quite content with the pad so far but is it just a waste of time and should i be switching to keyboard and mouse asap?

Comments

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    KB+M is the way too go, i try using both controllers xbox and ps3 its a learn curve when targeting and hotbars.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Keyboard and mouse is the way to go, especially if you're used to it.

That said, the controller is actually decent and people who are primarily console gamers will quite possibly enjoy it.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I had the same back and forth for XI.  Personally, for XI my gamepad worked the best.  I TRIED so hard to use the Gamepad for FFXIV ARR and it wasn't the same.  So much easier to KBM it :-)
  • SefirusoSefiruso Member Posts: 23

Yeah my main concern is the group aspect of the game especially if i decide to tank or heal. Not played an MMO seriously since WOTLK. 

The need of micro's to be efficient was a must back then you could get away with not using micro's but they made things a lot easier. I'm guessing mapping micro's to a pad won't be good :) 

Has anyone done any instances with a pad healing or tanking? Might just fork out to get my set up right to be comfortable with a K&M getting lazy in my old age to have a room purely set up for PC gaming :D

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    While I am primarily a PC gamer I have found that for me using the controller is a a much more satisfying experience while playing the beta of FFXIV. That being said my highest character is only level 16 so it remains to be seen if the switching action bars will seems as fluid after I gain even more skills.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• RyvellaRyvella Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Personally I enjoyed using a gamepad more than mouse/keyboard. Healing in dungeons is really nice as you can simply lock into your tank and click up/down to cycle through your party members list and left/right to target enemies. FATE's are tricky to target but I found it just as tricky with tab targetting. 
    Think I'll stick with the gamepad for my first character then when i get into dungeons I'll reevaluate :)
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I dont play with a pad so Im not sure what their problem with targetting is, but Ill just say that keyboard tab targetting is a little buggy atm as well.  Manual says its supposed to target the nearest first but often it does the opposite.  
  • Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    I didnt read any of the posts besides OP, but if anyone hasnt stated it, you can set up filters that you can switch at any time to target only enemies, only allies, or a mixture using the dpad...it helps alot that way ur not fighting through ally targeting to get to that one single enemy, instead you swap filters and its one button away.
    Originally posted by Odinthedark1
    I didnt read any of the posts besides OP, but if anyone hasnt stated it, you can set up filters that you can switch at any time to target only enemies, only allies, or a mixture using the dpad...it helps alot that way ur not fighting through ally targeting to get to that one single enemy, instead you swap filters and its one button away.

This sounds really good i only got to level 9 before the beta closed this weekend gives me a decent insight on how simple it will be to switch targets with these filters. 

Game pad it is. Not been this hyped for a MMO for a long time. 

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Sefiruso
    Originally posted by Odinthedark1

This sounds really good i only got to level 9 before the beta closed this weekend gives me a decent insight on how simple it will be to switch targets with these filters. 

Game pad it is. Not been this hyped for a MMO for a long time. 

You dont' say what class you are playing, but also useful is "target nearest enemy" which always targets the nearest enemy to you. Then there is focus target (sub target you can lock in/switch to easily), target of target (like an assist but can be used on mobs for example to quickly switch to whoever has aggro).

There are a ton of targeting options that people aren't using, they have in-game tutorials for them but I know a lot of people skip those.  After launch I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of guides on people's setups for gamepad etc.

I know quite a few people who are excellent MMO players who have switched to gamepad for ARR because the way they have it setup is really awesome.

Yeah. I didn't state my class as well I've played for about 8 hours as a Gladiator but i might roll a different class for the full game. Really unsure what i want to do at the moment for launch. 

But my main fear has been put to one side and the gamepad will be viable to use in instances and end game well it looks that way :)

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633

With my setup currently in limbo and needing some investment and a fix I've been playing the Beta with a Xbox 360 pad via USB purely for comfort. 

The only issue so far is some of the targeting is a bit iffy especially during FATES. My question is really are other people using a pad to play? And will it eventually lead to issues in groups and end game not using or being familiar to using the keyboard set up (Not like it would take long to get used to)

I've been quite content with the pad so far but is it just a waste of time and should i be switching to keyboard and mouse asap?

Normally Id say kb and mouse, but this game is designed for the controller first. Both FFXI and XIV have atrocious keyboard and mouse controls.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Its too much of a pain for me. Too many "hold this+press that" combinations and scrolling through targets instead of just clicking it is annoying as hell to me. Still some people are defending it in the forums so I suppose its good enough. Itll definitely take some getting used to ... a lot actually.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire

Normally Id say kb and mouse, but this game is designed for the controller first. Both FFXI and XIV have atrocious keyboard and mouse controls.

I strongly disagree.  The keyboard/mouse controls are as good as any mmo out there, with the single exception of bugged tab targetting which Im sure will be fixed before release.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    It depends on the person. I'm sure a lot of controller users will out perform some KB+M users.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I use a PS3 gamepad i like it a lot more than k/m
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire

the keyboard and mouse controls is exactly the same as any other traditional mmorpg out there for FFXIV

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    The only hindrance will be for PVP or if there's a lot of ground targeted abilities that requires constant moving.
    Originally posted by Alders
    The only hindrance will be for PVP or if there's a lot of ground targeted abilities that requires constant moving.

moving with the left stick is a lot better than wasd

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I'll probably be kb+m for group content but if I feel like farming mats or just relaxing xbox controller while in bed :P.
  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    I use a gamepad and I have healed and tanked with no problems. It's not hard its based on personal preference.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• comicguycomicguy Member Posts: 123

I'm going to use a KB/Mouse for Group and pad for solo.

I can't figure an easy way to target using pad or avoid holding R2 just to use an ability.

ITS TOO HARD TOO HARD FOR ME AAAA

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    OP......................MY suggestion...get a PC.
  • megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    OP......................MY suggestion...get a PC.

Why didn't you read the OP before posting?