Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Ewok Companions Revealed

Comments

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126

With the power of this IP and the amount of time that has passed since launch, this is quite honestly embarrassing. Like I cant even believe this is news on MMORPG.com.

I swear I lose more and more hope for this genre everyday. Devs seems so damn disconnected.

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Tribbles RULE!
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    Originally posted by C_Glass
    Ewoks have been in Star Wars (and kicking ass in star wars) since the original trilogy, how people have a problem with this is beyond me. Oh, that's right, it's cool and edgy to have irrational hate for SWTOR.

Ewoks were not in the Original Trilogy. They didnt show up until Ep6. The "last" movie in the series.

The original Trilogy included episode 6. I think you confused original trilogy for original movie!

And The Old Republic is thousands of years before the original trilogy and the two-legged chihuahuas  were introduced. So the argument is rather pointless.

The Old Republic was introduced about 20 years after the Original Trilogy

The Ewoks may have not been introduced until episode 6 but I doubt they just materialised in Episode 6, as there was a community of them, and there were even baby ewoks, so they would have existed in episode 4

I guess now they even existed in The Old Republic, or is there evidence that they did not?

It's really hard to argue that logic. Seriously.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Cutesy crap.  Tired of it all.  How about some MMOs for adults?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Really a dumb move.  I guess no one on the staff is a Star Wars fan, its not exactly a secret that Ewoks are disliked by the majority.
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Cutesy crap.  Tired of it all.  How about some MMOs for adults?

Oh gawd that worked out well.  The best part of Age of Conan was that one episode of Big Bang Theory.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Just goes to show that just when you think EA/BW can't make any more bad decisions about TOR, they prove time and again that they can. With all the stuff they could spend money on to improve this game, and they choose... ewoks. Yeah........
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Emeraq
    Originally posted by Astropuyo
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

No the guy talking wookies is 100% correct, anyone who searches it will find it but since you are all a bunch of lazy arses hell bent on making cites.

Behind the Scenes

George Lucas intended that a primitive race should overthrow the Empire in the final episode, and had originally planned to use Wookiees, but decided against it after it had been established that Chewbacca was proficient with technology. His answer was to create a new race called Ewoks, which is "Wookiee" with the syllables reversed.

It is believed that Ewoks are modelled after Hobbits, the short and easily overlooked people who caused the dark lord Sauron's demise in Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Lucas chose the word Endor for the moon's planet to honour this, since it is the Elvish name of Middle-earth, the setting of most of Tolkien's stories.

Bite his hairy sack he is correct.

------------

How many of you knew Ewok was wookie? Yeah exactly. It cracks me up how some folks can straight up be stalwart when they are wrong. You know who you are. And yes you were wrong. Chances are? Everything you know is wrong !

Yeah because that says all the changes were for merchandising reasons.......

Whatever, he's right. Doesn't matter if his motivations were wrong. He is 100% correct.

Ewoks were supposed to be wookies.

You want to look at the small stuff that's fine. It's your little world, with your little thoughts.

The over picture is: He is right. Some of you are wrong.

I personally learned a bunch of stuff today!

Then again my head isn't up my ass like alot of you. It's only semi wedged in the cheeks.

According to the information you supplied he is right but he is only right about the fact that wookies were to be used, he is not correct about the reasoning.

With that said, no one can argue that Ewoks are not a part of canon.Regardless of the reasoning, if GL put them in, being the man that created it all, ANYTHING he decides to include whether it be for financial gain, random brainstorming or what have you, he added it, then it is what it is.  Like it or not.

No doubt and that's the only information that matters.

The information on wookiepedia supplies more detailed information.

Such as the fact the majority of fans have felt he rewrote them for merchandising.

This isn't me, or him. This is the starwars fandom saying this stuff.

I just look at the base facts: He was correct about ewoks and anyone who says otherwise is just plain silly. Merchandising or not.

He is correct. I deal in absolutes as there is only +/- in this world.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    -face palm- lololol
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Kinda funny to see the hate of a new companion in a video game. Swtor is considered canon so I guess this ewok is too which probably makes certain fans even more angry.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• jarretjarret Member Posts: 9
    All I can say about this is, When does Wildstar come out.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

THat is one ugly creature.

So.... lvl 40 legacy and 1 million credits to get this companion. Nice move to entice people to look on the cash shop to get it. Oh it will be there, wait for it. Since not every one has 1 mil credit or make 1 mil easy, and only subbers can have 1 mil on their pockets.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

C3-PO could speak to them when they got caught in RotJ , anyways and other such cannon.

So she isn't a bloody teddy she will kick your asss slowly as a tank meet up and i will sit back and watch you die!!

Don't mess with Treeg!

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Soooo if Ewok's were around this many years before Ep.6 they are incapable of evolving? They're still just furry savages? This is so cheesy lol.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    What's ironic is I know a few posters above who complain about this being 'childish' when it actually fits into the IP, yet thinks a game where you can buy boxing gloves and wear stuffed mobs as backpacks is the bees knees. Only MMORPG.com for ya.

And before anyone jumps on this comment, I'm not saying GW2 is childish. But if you're going to say something that fits lore is childish and like a Disney themepark and not call out a certain game (cough GW2 cough) for there laughable cash shop items then you need to stop with the bias.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    They are really messing with the lore right? From what I was told ewoks were not even known of until much later in the world of Starwars.....so yeah GG if that is right.....

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119
    Wow. This pretty much proves that EAWare knows almost nothing about Star Wars. If they did, they'd realize that pretty much every SW fan over the age of 10 despises Ewoks.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Honestly, I am more interested in the full movie of

"Ewoks: The battle of endor".  God lol...What a movie...

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    At first I was like "What a hilarious April Fool's Day Prank". Then...

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Since SWTOR has LA's stamp of 'official canon' (which Disney has accepted), guess Ewok in the Old Republic is canon now.

Whether some Star Wars fan thinks it should be or not is irrelevant.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Draron
    What's ironic is I know a few posters above who complain about this being 'childish' when it actually fits into the IP, yet thinks a game where you can buy boxing gloves and wear stuffed mobs as backpacks is the bees knees. Only MMORPG.com for ya.

And before anyone jumps on this comment, I'm not saying GW2 is childish. But if you're going to say something that fits lore is childish and like a Disney themepark and not call out a certain game (cough GW2 cough) for there laughable cash shop items then you need to stop with the bias.

I have come to realise this now that people on these forums are really oblivious to  irony. GW2 fans calling Ewoks childish is just another example.

We all know that grown ups play with stuffed charr plushies.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

i believe family guy sums up ewoks best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMDQXb1WR-k

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Ewoks have been in Star Wars (and kicking ass in star wars) since the original trilogy

No, implementing the most annoying race of the original trilogy is the reason why ppl take the p*ss on this, not the game.

Swtor is already in heavy seas, no need to add more irritating stuff from the movies, unless they aim for the audience that actually likes muppets in SW...maybe trying to get the Disney target audience on board?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Muke
    Ewoks have been in Star Wars (and kicking ass in star wars) since the original trilogy

No, implementing the most annoying race of the original trilogy is the reason why ppl take the p*ss on this, not the game.

Swtor is already in heavy seas, no need to add more irritating stuff from the movies, unless they aim for the audience that actually likes muppets in SW...maybe trying to get the Disney target audience on board?

What about original SW triology then? was it also meant for disney crowd? and to add to irony..SW is now indeed owned by disney. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek
    Wow. This pretty much proves that EAWare knows almost nothing about Star Wars. If they did, they'd realize that pretty much every SW fan over the age of 10 despises Ewoks.

Well if you look at the official forum atm you will notice people are going wild about this Ewok , arguing in many threads about how they aren't legacy level 40 and want it lowered. They re also arguing that it is now P2W because you can buy the ewok with CC. It's quite mental really. Otherwise I agree with you a lot of SW fans do indeed hate the Ewok's , poor things. Maybe they want one so badly to actually get it killed over and over ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]