Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will wildstar be a huge hit?

unusunus Member Posts: 3

Hey everyone,

Episode 1. of a three part series is up. The first one we discuss why wildstar will be a Huge Hit. The next episode we discuss why wildstar will be a epic FAIL. And the third " i am going to kick some ass" we are going to duke it out.

Subscribe in iTunes:
https://itunes.apple...ast/id666416174

Subscribe via RSS:
http://feeds.feedbur...arNationPodcast

And website has direct link on it. But the site will not be live for a week or two.
http://www.wildstarnation.com

Comments

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Depends on your definition of "huge". I definitely think it will be successful.
  • rufiljrufilj Member CommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by newbinator

Blows my mind how you haven't been banned from selling a Wildstar CBT account.. 

I will definitely check it out OP

• wh0?wh0? Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by newbinator

Someone please ban this guy for selling Wildstar Beta key......

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

WIldstar will be undoubtedly be a major flop.   Even a lot of industry journalists are tired of seeing it at the various expos.  

Coming to market in 2013 /2014 with traditional themepark quest and end-game mechanics isn't going to impress many players and certainly won't keep them engaged past the first month or two.  

It's good to see housing making a comeback though. 

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428
    im pretty sure wildstar beta keys are tied to your email addy so can't be sold. i wont say how i know this ill just say im pretty sure. 
  • ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I am very much looking forward to this game. Let all the naysayers and doombringers cry all they want, I think the game will be a success and a FUN game to play. Some will just grind and beat it in 20 hours and think they have won something and then spend large amounts of time whining. These are the same people that think relationships are purely about sex. Just my honest opinion and happy to share it.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

I dont really see anything special about it. I do like however their approach to beta, fact they begin public testing raids and endgame now gives a tiny chance there might be decent amount of polished endgame content at launch.

Will it be a  huge hit? I dont think so. It might be a first successful wow clone tho, that would be a no small feat.

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    No one can predict the future... so to answer your question : No one can tell.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Their big dice roll is wether raiding guilds from wow buy-in and treat wildstar as their next stage for progression - possible.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Heck I don't know, but I'm going to be playing it.  I love the overall style and personality.  All those "realistic" MMO's just fall flat.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I think a lot of people will try it out for the novelty value. After that I don't think there is enough compelling and original stuff there for it to compete wirh eqnext etc
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I predict success like Rift had.
  • NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185

Because people are bored shitless with the same old formula they will try it out looking for something different only to find it isn't anything that can counter their time investment in other MMO's. This process usually lasts till people start hitting level cap.

Drip feeding us groundhog day isn't something we buy into anymore and the next big thing will something that changes that.

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

I think some of you need to go watch the last interview MMORPG had with their Design/Content director.. It was pretty informative. He said yea if you only care about getting to the end of the game aka lvling then you will be done with the game in a few days and would have missed the whole point of the game.

They are trying to make a game that is enjoyable all the way thru not just when you get to max lvl and want to do raiding and such. To many of the current mmo gamers only give a crap about what is there to do at end game and that is now and forever in the future going to be a losing scenario if your a game developer. They might as well just say lvl 1 is max lvl and there is the dungeon now start grinding for that fabled +1 sword etc etc and when you do that 10 times you get to spend one skill pt. do it again and again for one skill pt. I dont think it is the mmo games necessarily that are bad( but yea there are some bad ones) but that to much focus is only about the end game. Of course just my opinion.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Xssiv

WIldstar will be undoubtedly be a major flop.   Even a lot of industry journalists are tired of seeing it at the various expos.  

Coming to market in 2013 /2014 with traditional themepark quest and end-game mechanics isn't going to impress many players and certainly won't keep them engaged past the first month or two.  

It's good to see housing making a comeback though. 

with that comment im assuming you have the exact same feelings of major flop for ArcheAge? since it has the exact same generic questing and as far as i know(which may be wrong) they dont have dynamic content while Wildstar do have those as well.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Why would you talk about two assertive statements, in your mind? It will be a huge hit and it will be a huge fail cancel each other out. Thanks for making the decision to not watch these easy. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Heck I don't know, but I'm going to be playing it.  I love the overall style and personality.  All those "realistic" MMO's just fall flat.

same here. I like what ive seen so far. Specially the art style. I prefer stylized visuals on my mmorpgs and jrpgs while keeping the realistic over the top graphics for non-japanese single player rpgs (Skyrim?)

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by DMKano

Define huge hit.

Millions of players several months post launch - highly doubtful.

Couple of hundred thousand players, possibly.

Themepark space is fiercely competitive, also we have no clue when Wildstar will release, EQN and TESO, ArcheAge are also on the horizon.

Example if Wildstar launches anywhere close to AA or EQN release, I won't even bother with Wildstar period, just gonna skip it.

I don't always agree with your posts but I do with this one.  Not only is the themepark space overcrowded but people are just getting increasingly tired of that style mmo.  And RIFT is scooping up a lot of the remaining theme park fans with the FTP conversion.  Sure Wildstar will get some of those since everyone likes trying out a new game - plus there are a few new things the game is offering that look pretty fun.  But realistically, a year after release I have an extremely hard time seeing it being anything like a MAJOR hit.  Slight success, probably.  Big hit, extremely doubtful.  I think EQNext and Archeage are going to be the next real hits - with EQNext probably leading the pack.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I'm not sure if it will succeed. It's way too cartoonish for many and also does not offer anything groundbreaking to grab attention imho. 
  • LukekiniLukekini Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    I'm not sure if it will succeed. It's way too cartoonish for many and also does not offer anything groundbreaking to grab attention imho. 

I know WoW was released a long long time ago.. About when my MMORPG account was created. But that was what many of my friends stated about WoW when it first came out. Only me and one other friend pre-ordered it. A year later those other friends were playing non-stop 7 days a week.

Cartoonish can be nice with the right shading/animations/fluidity. Shaders are especially important in these matters.

What a lot of games have left out over the years was well tied together lore with game-play that is essentially simple in the end, but highly customizable. Take WoW again for example. Everyone still remembers what the Cross Roads were like.. and when you jumped into Hillsbrad what to expect on a PvP server. Your memories were tied to these places with unique experiences. When you hit level 40, it was a huge feeling of fulfillment.  Gear was awesome because it really made a difference even at the lower levels. So while you level to max, you really had a good time leveling to max.

While in games today, you want to get to max level in hopes of some "fun" content later on. In these other games, they either throw the content at you without an end-game(STO), or throw a half done end-game with promises of more in the months to come(SWTotR). All while creating an environment that lets you casually grind to the max level in a week because of the lack of any real content. (NeverWinter)

- ya I'm here

• ThreetownsThreetowns Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Lukekini
    Originally posted by Piiritus

I know WoW was released a long long time ago.. About when my MMORPG account was created. But that was what many of my friends stated about WoW when it first came out. Only me and one other friend pre-ordered it. A year later those other friends were playing non-stop 7 days a week.

Cartoonish can be nice with the right shading/animations/fluidity. Shaders are especially important in these matters.

What a lot of games have left out over the years was well tied together lore with game-play that is essentially simple in the end, but highly customizable. Take WoW again for example. Everyone still remembers what the Cross Roads were like.. and when you jumped into Hillsbrad what to expect on a PvP server. Your memories were tied to these places with unique experiences. When you hit level 40, it was a huge feeling of fulfillment.  Gear was awesome because it really made a difference even at the lower levels. So while you level to max, you really had a good time leveling to max.

While in games today, you want to get to max level in hopes of some "fun" content later on. In these other games, they either throw the content at you without an end-game(STO), or throw a half done end-game with promises of more in the months to come(SWTotR). All while creating an environment that lets you casually grind to the max level in a week because of the lack of any real content. (NeverWinter)

Back when WOW was just  1-60 it was a blast, the zones were alive, on a PVP server before Battle Grounds there was huge amount people doing Open World PVP!  They did not fight for armor or fame?  No they did cause it was fun!  

I miss that time, now we get spoon feeding - Rift  could been much more, they just hand you the stuff, there no need to work for it.   I am trying to find that feeling I had back in 2004 will we ever see it again?

Cartoonish  I don't mind, I just want the game to be fun- Zones done up were you get so lost in it,  the way its set up!   LOTRO has the best zones I have seen in a game!  But the Characters was horribly made up and being on a mount looked really bad!       So if this going to be any were close to a WoW clone?  Build it like the old school 1-60..  that was great times!

• LukekiniLukekini Member UncommonPosts: 75

Exactly my feelings Threetowns.

I played WoW from its first beta till about a few years ago. Did not get the last expansion.

I remember when many were complaining that there was nothing to do with World PvP(reward wise), and CTF was only so fun. How foolish we were to not make our demands more specific. Ohh I should mention we got some world pvp nodes.. had to collect some sand or something, I forgot about it since well everyone did it for the first few hours then left shaking their heads. 

Then BGs came into play. Sure the old AV was an epic feat to say the least, but the day after day people cared less about things things like TM/SS being attacked. No longer were parties created and higher levels called into support from all over the world. This got even worse once cross server BGs began.  The community just started to dwindle away. Everyone seemed to either cared to afk or rarely actually fight in Battlegrounds or just wanted to do daily dungeons. Things became a damn chore. 

Hell I played on an RP server that had a hell of a time with world PvP. Players created huge events for their servers with 0 help from GMs and they did live feeds, had DJs, had a set story line that they stuck to while everyone celebrated some holiday. Next thing you know, it was horde versus alliance in an all out brawl in a zone not even "technically" open yet :-p

Again, this has been almost discouraged with the current direction of WoW. So many are looking for that Vanilla WoW feel, and Wildstar seems to be keeping this in mind. We should keep our expectations reasonable, however, the foundation they are building with Wildstar is very interesting to say the least.

- ya I'm here

• panzerghostpanzerghost Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I don't think it's a stretch to say wildstar and firefall will be suprisingly well received from a market  saturated by goblins and orcs.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I really like what I've seen so far and there are a number of major features that are new or rare in current MMOs.

For me, world size will be one thing I need to know more about. Will it be at least as big as the GW2 world at launch? How much content is there? Much more important than time to level cap. If you use 90% of all content to get to the level cap in two weeks, that's a problem. If you reach the level cap and have barely scratched the surface of content in the game, that's fine, as long as all that content is viable for you.

I need to know more about build variety and whether or not the game has a respectable skill cap. Really, I need to know a lot more than I know now to even try to predict anything.

I think it has attracted my interest better than any other AAA MMOs in development. I originally had a very negative reaction to the art style, based on screen shots, but seeing some videos I've come around on that. I love what we've seen in the Dev Speak videos, I hope we get some more of those soon.

If the game is as big as GW2 and offers as much playability, along with it's style, sense of humor and interesting features, it could be a smash hit. I think it's just way too early to know what we need to know to try to accurately predict the prospects, but nothing I do know makes me pessimistic.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by redcapp
    I predict success like Rift had.

I agree with this.