Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your idea of the perfect EQN sandbox?

2»

Comments

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

I am against pvp but as long as there is no class balancing because of pvp and that not everybody can do everything ( tanks heal as good as clerics ect. ) i think pvp could work if it uses the original EQ faction system.

So for me that type of pvp, open worlds and dungeons,none tethered mobs, only way to get exp but from using things or killings things, Player made gear is the most important gear and it has to be none repairable/degradable, boss/raid mobs that can drop very special items used for building gear or items but no over powering gear drops and epic quests that can take weeks or months to complete and need the help of many people and when you have it completed it can be seen on you and players will wow he has that epic.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    SWG pre-cu except set in the Everquest universe.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by DMKano

A believable virtual world with complex dynamic systems that can be influenced by players:

Example:

Damming off a river to create a lake? No game supports this yet.

or imagine natural disasters like floods destroying your crop fields or homes?

How about digging out mines, and then you discover underground caverns?

Seasons that affect the world and NPCs, if there's a blizzard rolling through, animals and other NPCs are not going to be leisurely strolling about as they did when it was sunny.

NPC factions electing their own leaders, forming alliances and building their own kingdoms. Basically an evolving living world even without any players.

A finite closed system of resources that would be sought out by players and NPCs.

That would be revolutionary - a dynamic living and breathing virtual world, where every action has a ripple effect. 

Most current games have systems that are isolated and have zero impact on the virtual world - infinite resource nodes, crafting systems that are just games within themselves and have no connection to the rest of the world. 

Actually this is what i want.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Heres my perfect sandbox -

World the size of D&L (40k sq KM)

Housing system of SWG

Can plant crops and trees like AA appears to be.

Dynamic weather systems like Vanguard

Seasons like D&L where snow builds up, lakes freeze and melt in the spring.

NON instanced dungeons where mobs arent magically 10x harder inside

I want trains!

The ability to flag yourself for pvp like SWG.

Be KOS in certain cities depending on class and race

No ! or ? above NPC heads.  Quest giver interaction like EQ.

Quests for items only, not XP

Mining where you dig under the ground

Ships!

Dynamic mob camps like SWG had

Mobs AI like DF where they aggro from a long distance, not where you can stand 30 ft from them and they somehow dont see you.

Long term buffs like EQ which almost becomes a market in itself

Druid and wiz transports like EQ no other fast travel

Crafting with like SWG!

No cars.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• sjettonsjetton Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by ElderRat
    Shadowbane in Norrath is my answer.

Was going to say the same thing. It's too bad that game couldn't get it's sh!t together because the concept was awesome. 

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

EQSWG

Beyond that 

1. Players designing their own quests ( a posssbility if the Story Bricks thing is for players to use).

2. Players creating their own unique graphic items (also possible with EQ studio).

3. Slow progesion.

4. A unique style of combat that breaks away from MMO tropes.

5. Fully interactive environment.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by bcbully
    To you, what would be perfect?

There will never be a perfect mmo, even with your love for GW2 i'm sure you don't consider that game perfect. If EQN really is a true sandbox game then it must have everything you find in WurmOnline which is a true sandbox mmo. Forget EVE, DF, MO or all these other mmo's that people claim to be sandbox, against WurmOnline they are not true sandbox mmo's. I have a feeling that EQN will be a sandpark and Smed will come under attack for claiming the game is a sandbox.

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

These are my personal wishes which I know probably won't come true

1 - PvE centric with deep lore, no personal stories at all except maybe some class quests at certain levels. Keep the danger coming and make it so even though I'm supposed to be a hero, I'm pretty puny in the grand scheme of the world by myself.

2 - No instancing at all with a sense of danger in the world (as mentioned before). I don't want areas to be like, well this is the level 5-15 zone and this is level 20-25 zone. Mix and mesh the monsters so I can have a real sense of danger, where the world is bigger than I am (in a figurative sense), and if I decide to go look in that big empty cave, a dragon may bite my puny 4th level head off.

3 - I don't need it to be totally solo friendly, though I would appreciate a duo friendly game. I don't mean that everything in the game is soloable or even duoable, I mean have your group dungeons and areas if intensity and major danger, but also have some areas where a small team of 2-3 could do some stuff too (i know this probably won't happen). In a sandbox not every major place should need the exact same amount of people to accomplish a task.

4 - I need stuff to do other than quest and kill stuff!!!! I want to be able to get a vocation, be a merchant, make and sell scrolls do something other than just log in and kill stuff. This is an absolute MUST!

5 - Keep leveling, but add a skill system for things you use (think oblivion). I'm not a fan of not having a leveling system, but I am a fan of leveling up with crafting, tradeskill and weapon skills you actually use in game not genericly leveling them up just because I gained a certain level. Level's to me should be more for HP gain, ability gain (IE hotbar skills) and that's about it.

6 - Bring back different level spell abilities for each spell. Once you get a spell it's say Drain Life I and you need to find or research the Drain Life II to upgrade it. Make it more dynamic than EQ2 was though and make it tie into the lore somehow.

7 - Player housing is something I want and have enjoyed in the past. In a perfect sandbox you can shape the world and this means the landscape as well. I'd even be for having to have some sort of insurance on your house so if it does have realm v realm PvP your homestead can get destroyed but you have insurance on your items but lose your house and need to rebuild.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

To be dumbfound by awesomeness by something I had never dreamed of.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    A good open world housing system that works with PVP would be to have player houses around a keep and its wall and gatehouse, with a wall also around the houses. Enemy guilds or factions would have to break down the outer wall, and take over the keep, in order to run the town, collect taxes, etc, but the player houses themselves would not be destoyed. They would be part of the prize (the land deed), but still owned by those that build them. That way you wouldnt have to rebuild your own house over, and over, and over, but contribute to the town's defences, which would be much less repetitious, and build a sense of community and a political angle, some may resent the new bosses and conspire to weaken the defences so their previous owners could re-take it, for e.g..
  • SneakyTurtleSneakyTurtle Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Dullahan

First and foremost a sandbox needs PVE.

PVE progression is something every sandbox game in the past failed to produce, and why the pvp side of the game becomes so dry and meaningless.  Players need more than just resources and territory to fight over.  They need common objectives to compete over which create rivalries organically.  (Worked perfectly on EQ PvP servers)

Proper itemization from both pve and crafting.

Rarity of items to promote a good economy (see EQ1), no loot pinatas.

Completely open world, absolutely no instances.  Everything is contested.

No questing for exp, but dynamic meaningful questing that yield lore and rewards.

Not just the building of structures, but the creation of actual cities that thrive and become homes to surrounding players.

Crafted player housing (non-instanced obviously).

Tradeskills with depth and that allow creativity.  Players should be engaged in tradeskills, not see them as a chore.  Ideally, there should be enough to enjoy with the crafting and building spheres of the game that players actually play the game solely to craft.

PvP.  

It absolutely has to have PvP.  It doesn't have to be no holds barred, no safe zones, completely FFA pvp, but there has to be some PvP in a sandbox where cities can be built and destroyed, and so many parts of the game exist for the sake of competition.  PvP must exist somewhere in the world.

My preference for PvP is FFA with relatively safe cities and player cities.  Guards should exist to protect players and should be for hire in player cities.  Players should also be safe in their castles or houses until such a time as those castles and houses are burnt to the ground because they weren't smart enough to hire guards or seek alliances with other players.

For EQ Next, I hope there are servers with varying PvP rulesets to please everyone.  I'm fairly certain PvP will exist in all server but that the general servers will only allow pvp in certain areas or continents where players build and will have plenty of safe zones.  Then I'd hope for a race wars server with FFA pvp.  Then I'd hope for PvP with some sort of partial loot system.  That should just about please everyone except for the whiners who don't want pvp at all.

yay for Non-instanced player housing! :D 

- SneakyTurtle

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

There will never be a perfect mmo, even with your love for GW2 i'm sure you don't consider that game perfect. If EQN really is a true sandbox game then it must have everything you find in WurmOnline which is a true sandbox mmo. Forget EVE, DF, MO or all these other mmo's that people claim to be sandbox, against WurmOnline they are not true sandbox mmo's. I have a feeling that EQN will be a sandpark and Smed will come under attack for claiming the game is a sandbox.

I agree and feel he should have been a little less specific and said open world or something a little more ambiguous, Sandbox is ambiguous in itself, but it also means something very specific to many people. Saying open world and then showing something very close to a sandbox would of blown many away, instead whatever we get is going to anger just as many probably because it doesn't have X Y Z that a sandbox "must" have. Oh well, hopefully turns out great either way.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 427

I would really like them to surprise me with something I've never even though of.

Barring that...

Lots like EQ1, with better crafting. Gathering can be in-depth, but not as retarded as SWG was (was like having a job to go to after work)

Playermade and placed housing, within established cities (Hated the SWG method of tossing them everywhere).

giant open world with multiple continents. Fast travel limited to between major cities within the same continent with ships between.

open world dungeons would be like eq1 with no instancing of them.

So lots like EQ1, not so much like SWG.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Alright here is my perfect model for a Sandbox, whether it be EQ or not, doesn't matter this is what I want to see but I'll never see a game like this.  Seeing as I never played the first Everquest my comments are from a PvE sandbox game I would love to play.

• First things first, Separate PvE and PvP servers.  It has worked for every game who's tried it and seeing as my favorite sandbox game of all time used this too it makes perfect sense.  An optional Questing mechanic to flag for PvP on the White (PvE) servers for those of us who only7 wish to partake in PvP when it suits us.
    • Level cap that takes a minimum of 6 months to a year of hardcore commitment to reach. i.e. 4-6 hours per day to reach this cap.  Seeing as I like large numbers lets round this out to level 300.
    • Progression doesn't happen at the "level ding" but instead your skills grow and you earn skill points based on an exponentially harder to reach threshold.  I.e. raising Strength from 1-2 costs a lot less XP then from going from 100 to 101.  Or some other type of progression based stat/skill accumulation that happens at any time but it is not tied to the actual gaining of a level.  In other words Levels and stat/ability progression are not mutually exclusive.
    • Large seemless open world with many fauna and geophysical areas to explore.  I'm talking like 6+ hours to travel from 1 side of the world to another as the crow fly's.
    • Many hundreds/thousands of different types of Elder Scrolls style Points of interest through out the world.  Mini-dungeons, caverns, ruins, castles, dungeons, keeps, forts, towns, villas, hamlets, and anything you can think of.
    • A skill based system which uses skill lines and abilities from just about any type of fantasy based game you can dream of.  Want to be a Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior...then pick up those skill lines.
    • Action based combat system similar to Nevrwinter, Tera, or Skyrim.  With a limited humber of hotbar slots to create an immersive deck building class system.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Wurm is a building based sandbox.  It is no less or more a sandbox then Eve or DF.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Wurm is a building based sandbox.  It is no less or more a sandbox then Eve or DF.

Wurm is a lot more than a building based sandbox lol, 3 kingdom artifact fvfvf pvp, land control, city building and total freedom to build anywhere in the world. You can own a dockyard and employ people to build ships, you can own cities and tax players to live in the cities.

DF is not as free form as Wurm Online and Wurm online has everything that DF has and more. And unlike eve Wurm Online let's you cultivate or break the world utterly. Anyone can take their shovel and dig pits, mines and tunnels. Anyone can equip a sickle and pluck flowers and seeds from trees and bushes to plant them elsewhere. But that’s just the start, and more importantly nobody can avoid making this kind of impact on the world.

If you want to make arrows… no, scratch that. If you want to do something as simple as cook then you need kindling for a fire, and that involves whittling away at something made of wood in your inventory or permanently chopping down a tree.

So you have a true sandbox game that offers some features that EvE and DF do not offer yet Wurm Online offers the same sandbox  PVP that both games offer.

So i'll say iy again, EVE and DF are not true total sandbox games when you compare them to Wurm Online which is far more than a building based sandbox which EvE and DF are not.

I played EQ for 6 years straight and still log in now and again but Smed has set himself up for flack by declaring EQN a sandbox imo.

If it's a sandbox then i expect everything i can do in Wurm Online to be in the game and that includes the type of terrorforming you find in Wurm.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

No dailies.

If I want a second job, I'll find one where I get paid.

I want to log on because it's fun to play, not as a chore to get my daily tokens.

We need projects that takes litterally forever to complete.

I want to be able to keep building on my castle untill I'm grey and old. Not because I have to or else I'll miss the new shiny armorset, but because it is fun to mess around adding to what you've been doing on and off for years on end.