Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Custom PC on Craigslist

FaliceFalice Member Posts: 329

I was browsing Craigslist and I found the build below ~ I'm not familiar with AMD processors anymore, so I was wondering whether this is worth the $1K the owner is asking. The rest of the unit seems legit to me... Also if I were to purchase it, what can I do to ensure it is bug/issue free?

Selling my custom built AMD gaming desktop that I built last month. This thing has handled any game in full spec with no issues at all. My index rating is 7.7. This pc is a beast and will definitely last for the days to come. Take a look;

Case: AMD Fusion Limited Edition Cooler Master HAF X case
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor, Black Edition
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Blue LED
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2666 CMD16GX3M4A2666C11
Video Card: MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
PS: CORSAIR HX Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular
SSD: CORSAIR Neutron Series 240GB SSD SATA 3 6Gb/s

Comments

• WulfkindWulfkind Member UncommonPosts: 12

Everything seems OK... The CPU is pretty ancient though. The 1090T was a solid CPU and out performed most of it's 8 core successors in single threaded applications for a long time. I can't attest for the later series FX 8-cores but the earlier ones were horrible. I do generally recommend people steer clear of the AMD processors these days even though I was a huge fan boy a few years ago but since converting to Intel with the 3rd gen i7, I haven't looked back.

Looking at the rest of the hardware though, it looks like it is worth the price. I'm assuming the reason you're looking on Craigslist and not building your own PC is because you're not comfortable/not competent of doing so (not bashing you here) so I'm not going to recommend that.

The only real recommendation I have is that you'd steer clear of the CPU and Motherboard combo if you planned on overclocking. I have specifically run that exact setup and it was horrible for such a purpose. The 1090T is a great little overclocking CPU but having said that, I personally don't like OCing anything, never really enjoyed the gains from it and the tweaking involved takes way too much time

edit: spelling

• FaliceFalice Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by Wulfkind

Everything seems OK... The CPU is pretty ancient though. The 1090T was a solid CPU and out performed most of it's 8 core successors in single threaded applications for a long time. I can't attest for the later series FX 8-cores but the earlier ones were horrible. I do generally recommend people steer clear of the AMD processors these days even though I was a huge fan boy a few years ago but since converting to Intel with the 3rd gen i7, I haven't looked back.

Looking at the rest of the hardware though, it looks like it is worth the price. I'm assuming the reason you're looking on Craigslist and not building your own PC is because you're not comfortable/not competent of doing so (not bashing you here) so I'm not going to recommend that.

The only real recommendation I have is that you'd steer clear of the CPU and Motherboard combo if you planned on overclocking. I have specifically run that exact setup and it was horrible for such a purpose. The 1090T is a great little overclocking CPU but having said that, I personally don't like OCing anything, never really enjoyed the gains from it and the tweaking involved takes way too much time

edit: spelling

I just ran a comparison - which I should have done in the first place on AnandTech, and yes I am steering clear of this "deal". Thank you for the reply.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Eh, not really worth it. I mean, it's technically at the price of building it yourself - I went to price the individual pieces and it's just about $1000, but you can build a new rig for that and grab some good deals while your at it. Cpu+mobo combos, a cheaper  HDD could save you a ton of money even though SSD's are nice. The video card is the biggest ticket item in that build.

If you don't know how or don't want to build your own rig, then it's not a bad deal, but it's also not a great deal. Meaning, you're not really getting a discount.

• WulfkindWulfkind Member UncommonPosts: 12

I suppose warranty was another point, you're paying top dollar for the individual parts and not really getting any warranty out of it. I don't know about in the US, but here in Australia we have a few well priced computer component vendors that have a 'build your own system' option where you select the parts and they will assemble it for you. Does someone like newegg do that over there? Most of the places here don't even charge an assembly fee, they're just happy to make some cash on the hardware.

Might be an option to consider if you can find a well priced hardware retailer?

Prior to having kids I had built a few systems, including my current PC. Due to a lack of time, it just isn't feasible any longer - so I've been keeping an eye open for premade "deals".
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Falice
    Prior to having kids I had built a few systems, including my current PC. Due to a lack of time, it just isn't feasible any longer - so I've been keeping an eye open for premade "deals".

Then wait until he drops the price on it significantly, which he probably will as its unlikely it will sell for what he's asking.  Even after the fact though, you'll probably update and switch out parts in any custom PC eventually.

But for 1K dollars, you can buy yourself a pretty great PC almost anywhere online - for less - and just upgrade to the parts you want to upgrade if you don't want to custom build.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Then wait until he drops the price on it significantly, which he probably will as its unlikely it will sell for what he's asking.  Even after the fact though, you'll probably update and switch out parts in any custom PC eventually.

But for 1K dollars, you can buy yourself a pretty great PC almost anywhere online - for less - and just upgrade to the parts you want to upgrade if you don't want to custom build.

No, I don't want this any longer - I'll stick to Intel, my current rig has a i7 920 which is slightly faster than that AMD. I'll just save a bit more for a current gen i7 or the next Intel processors.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Not here to pick a fight. But that staement makes no sense. If you can drop 1k on a prebuild you could drop 1k on components.

Building a PC now is nothing like it was even 5 years ago. If you can literally snap together lego bricks you can build a PC. No more fucking around with bios.

Most websites New Egg and Tiger Direct will even have combo deals where all you have to do is decided what size of video card and what memory. And what linked as recomended is compatable with the combo they're offering.

Overclocking- not a fan of it. 6%-17% increase in "whatever" for the reduction in component life, not worth it in my opinion. And yes twice Ive built a near matching (ecept for mem total) and a 100% matching rig and my friend who over-clocks started replacing items 2 years in. Mine is 6 years old and still runs perfefct. Albeit as a back up for the last year.

My advice. Dont overclock especially if youre on a 3-4 year PC build/buy budget. And, build your own.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Whoever built that system put a lot of money into the wrong places (2666 MHz memory, 1050 W power supply, 990FX motherboard, etc.), so if gaming performance is the goal, you could probably do about as well buying brand new parts on the same $1000 budget.
  • wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    You can get a better rig from newegg, cyberpower or tigerdirect with a warranty. you're just setting yourself up for failure messing with craigslist.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by Quizzical Whoever built that system put a lot of money into the wrong places (2666 MHz memory, 1050 W power supply, 990FX motherboard, etc.), so if gaming performance is the goal, you could probably do about as well buying brand new parts on the same $1000 budget.
    Agree with the memory and the board but not with the power supply if he got a good deal on it and planned to SLI down the road it was a good choice. I picked up a 1000 watt Antec for a 150$ so it was worth it. Still runs like a champ after 4 years. I've upgraded everything in my system over the years but the PSU.

Just because you bought one and it didn't die doesn't make it a good idea for everyone else, SLI notwithstanding. Not to mention that the original post doesn't mention anything about Antec - it's a Corsair... so your not even looking at apples to apples here.

Additionally, upgrading all your parts 4 years later and keeping the same power supply may not be the best of ideas, for various other reasons.

• H.A.M.AH.A.M.A Member UncommonPosts: 29
    imo you should buy the brand new parts, and build your own pc like I did, which is what a couple of people suggested to me on this website :)