Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Good It's Scary

Comments

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Are you saying it isnt F2P because I purchased it?

Either way...it is a completely functional mmo that charged money to buy and absolutely doesnt require any more money. No gimmicks.

A model like that is hard to compete with when you charge 15 a month
  • WittenWitten Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by DrWookie
    Are you saying it isnt F2P because I purchased it?

Either way...it is a completely functional mmo that charged money to buy and absolutely doesnt require any more money. No gimmicks.

A model like that is hard to compete with when you charge 15 a month

Yes, my friend, because you purchased it.

• h0tNstilettosh0tNstilettos Member Posts: 25

To those saying ridiculous things like FFXIV is the same old same old, obviously have no experience with the genre.

I have played almost every MMO under the sun, both sandbox, theme park, free to play, pay to play, etc, including major ones like WoW, and for a beta that has many features unavailable, FFXIV: ARR is already one the best MMOs I have ever played.

I'm going to go through these ridiculous complaints people are making. Before I do, I should make it clear I am not speaking as a fangirl. I am speaking as someone that has a ton of experience in MMORPGs, and yes I made my account the other day just to post for this game. I have been using this site for years, but just never became a member. This is the first MMO that sparked me to do so. People also forget that in this beta many things are made easier for testing purposes so it is easier for players to progress for testing. On top of that, it is suppose to be easier for the first 15 levels or so. The game is designed to cater to both casual gamers and hardcore. On top of that people need to look at the game as a whole. It's presentation.

Complaint #1: FFXIV has the same questing system that has been done time and time again, kill x, fetch this, etc.

My response: FFXIV takes the MMO basics, plus features that have been done in other MMOs, BUT it does them better. The questing system in this game is very varied. There are multiple questing systems presenting different styles of questing. Aside from basic questing (an MMORPG staple, just like how people FPS games involve shooting others), you have levequests, guildhests, grand company quests, free company quests, and the excellent story quests which are more immersive and well made when compared to other MMO's story quests. Killing mobs and completing quests/objectives IS the MMORPG genre, just like shooting others in FPS/TPS games is why they are shooters. It's how the games do it that makes things a little refreshing, but the core mechanics are the same for the genre. Sure, you can argue WoW or other MMOs do it better because they make it easier to track/find quest markers and where you have to go. Some people don't like their hands to be held, while others do. I can't say one is better than the other. It's a minor problem.

Complaint #2: Combat is too easy

My response: It's beta, and most making that claim are not even beyond level 20 yet, and those that are are forgetting the beta is purposely made easier with no end game content available yet as of time of writing this. Questing doesn't even go beyond 30 yet. Yoshida already said there will be very hardcore content in the game. People are jumping to conclusions about stuff they have never tried yet, and easier beta difficulty in general compared to release.

Complaint #3: Game should be free to play.

My response: If you're old enough to have a job and not disabled, you have bigger things to worry about than playing this. If you're disabled, you can get government assistance to pay for your bills, plus a little extra each month to spend on leisure/entertainment. I can't speak for other countries as I'm unsure of how many countries have such an option.

Complaint #4: FFXIV does nothing revolutionary

My response: This is where you are wrong. FFXIV: ARR takes familiar MMO features and does them better, plus adding features post-release that are new to the MMORPG genre, like the Gold Saucer like mini-game attraction park, which is just one more thing to keep you entertained if you're tired of questing, fighting mobs, and crafting. There will be in-depth player housing. There's so many aspects to the housing they are implementing that there's too much to list as this post isn't about that. Let's just say it's your typical tacked on housing of other MMOs. It will have more purpose in ARR with ability bonuses, plus neighborhoods, building house from ground up, chocobo stall for raising and breeding your chocobos, and being able to buy or sale houses. They are revolutionizing player housing in this game. Let's look at crafting, another MMO feature that has been done time and time again. FFXIV's crafting system actually makes me want to craft as compared to other MMOs. They even have their own classes. They have revolutionized crafting with this game.

Complaint #5: The graphics are horrible for PS3.

My response: If you are judging a game based on graphics rather than gameplay, you really shouldn't be playing games. The graphics aren't going to affect my gameplay, and they aren't terrible graphics anyways.

There are more complaints, but I am covering the main ones. Now I am going to point out some key things that make this MMORPG a very high quality MMO. Many things have been done in past MMOs, but not as well or fun, while some is new. Take CoD Modern Warfare 3 for example, it had the same stuff that has been done in other FPS game, and that's because that is what makes it a FPS, BUT it did them better, or with new ideas or approach to similar concepts. It's the same with ARR. The minion system is the only thing that is not done better or different than past MMOs.

#1 The armory class-switching system

#2 Companions and barding.

#3 Chocobo breeding and raising

#4 Duty finder

#5 The mini-game attraction park type area similar to the Gold Saucer from FFVII

#6 Superior crafting, housing, and breeding/raising (if what I read about housing and breeding/raising is true).

#7 Limit breaks

#8 Plenty of quest system variations (I'm not saying no other MMO had various quest systems, but fewer do than those those that don't. The norm does not include a plethora of quest systems.)

#9 The way they ease you into the game is done at a perfect pace, without being too confusing, and without piling on too much text or info at once.

and more . . .

Ultimately, ARR is easily one of the best MMOs out there even before the other features are made available, AND still in beta with limits. That's saying a lot. Fast forward this game years forward so it has had as much time to grow as games like WoW, and it's easy to realize this is going to be an MMO juggernaut. If I had to bet on any MMO being the next big MMO on the success level of WoW, this is one I would bet on. Sadly, I believe the original release of FFXIV will prevent this from happening due to people refusing to try this as a result, but going by quality it is superb. Plus the developers are very active in their relationship with the players and making this game as good as they can based on the feedback. Sure, they can't do everything requested, but they have listened and done a lot compared to most developers. This is a good sign for the future.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972

Agree i dont get what peoples see in this game that is so great ?  For me it's the same old, same old.....

By this logic you might as well just not play video games in general ever again...every shooter is the same old, every fighter is the same old, every racer is the same old, every jrpg/rpg is the same old, every rts is the same old, every turn based strategy is the same old.

Your logic is even worse. You can't compare single or multiplayer games to massive multiplayer games. In a single player game you have a story that is actually good, and you buy the game just for that, like a book. So they can have same mechanics and they will never get bored. Mmo's suck at telling stories so it's just basically pounding the keyboard for numbers. There's basically no story or no one cares, so it all goes down to gameplay. After few months of pounding, when you change a game you would at least except to have a little different type of pounding... This genre should have innovation, because it's so specific.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by kuujo
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972

Agree i dont get what peoples see in this game that is so great ?  For me it's the same old, same old.....

By this logic you might as well just not play video games in general ever again...every shooter is the same old, every fighter is the same old, every racer is the same old, every jrpg/rpg is the same old, every rts is the same old, every turn based strategy is the same old.

Your logic is even worse. You can't compare single or multiplayer games to massive multiplayer games. In a single player game you have a story that is actually good, and you buy the game just for that, like a book. So they can have same mechanics and they will never get bored. Mmo's suck at telling stories so it's just basically pounding the keyboard for numbers. There's basically no story or no one cares, so it all goes down to gameplay. After few months of pounding, when you change a game you would at least except to have a little different type of pounding... This genre should have innovation, because it's so specific.

The way you describe how/why you play MMO's sounds very boring to me.   I would be surprised if you stuck with any game for more than a few months.  Innovation can be good or bad, but I don't play games for feature lists/# of different mechanics from X game.  I'm not jaded so I can enjoy games for what they are and judge them as a whole

Which if you did you would find they all suck I'm sure, but instead you are saying you just focus on certain mechanics that are "new" to you?  That is what drives your decision to play a game, so tell me how is that working out for you?  Have you found that revolutionary MMO you love (despite the story/setting sucking so much)?  Or are you still waiting on some distant MMO that promises to finally amaze you?

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by h0tNstilettos

To those saying ridiculous things like FFXIV is the same old same old, obviously have no experience with the genre.

I have played almost every MMO under the sun, both sandbox, theme park, free to play, pay to play, etc, including major ones like WoW, and for a beta that has many features unavailable, FFXIV: ARR is already one the best MMOs I have ever played.

I'm going to go through these ridiculous complaints people are making. Before I do, I should make it clear I am not speaking as a fangirl. I am speaking as someone that has a ton of experience in MMORPGs, and yes I made my account the other day just to post for this game. I have been using this site for years, but just never became a member. This is the first MMO that sparked me to do so. People also forget that in this beta many things are made easier for testing purposes so it is easier for players to progress for testing. On top of that, it is suppose to be easier for the first 15 levels or so. The game is designed to cater to both casual gamers and hardcore. On top of that people need to look at the game as a whole. It's presentation.

Complaint #1: FFXIV has the same questing system that has been done time and time again, kill x, fetch this, etc.

My response: FFXIV takes the MMO basics, plus features that have been done in other MMOs, BUT it does them better. The questing system in this game is very varied. There are multiple questing systems presenting different styles of questing. Aside from basic questing (an MMORPG staple, just like how people FPS games involve shooting others), you have levequests, guildhests, grand company quests, free company quests, and the excellent story quests which are more immersive and well made when compared to other MMO's story quests. Killing mobs and completing quests/objectives IS the MMORPG genre, just like shooting others in FPS/TPS games is why they are shooters. It's how the games do it that makes things a little refreshing, but the core mechanics are the same for the genre. Sure, you can argue WoW or other MMOs do it better because they make it easier to track/find quest markers and where you have to go. Some people don't like their hands to be held, while others do. I can't say one is better than the other. It's a minor problem.

My response: It's beta, and most making that claim are not even beyond level 20 yet, and those that are are forgetting the beta is purposely made easier with no end game content available yet as of time of writing this. Questing doesn't even go beyond 30 yet. Yoshida already said there will be very hardcore content in the game. People are jumping to conclusions about stuff they have never tried yet, and easier beta difficulty in general compared to release.

My response: If you're old enough to have a job and not disabled, you have bigger things to worry about than playing this. If you're disabled, you can get government assistance to pay for your bills, plus a little extra each month to spend on leisure/entertainment. I can't speak for other countries as I'm unsure of how many countries have such an option.

My response: This is where you are wrong. FFXIV: ARR takes familiar MMO features and does them better, plus adding features post-release that are new to the MMORPG genre, like the Gold Saucer like mini-game attraction park, which is just one more thing to keep you entertained if you're tired of questing, fighting mobs, and crafting. There will be in-depth player housing. There's so many aspects to the housing they are implementing that there's too much to list as this post isn't about that. Let's just say it's your typical tacked on housing of other MMOs. It will have more purpose in ARR with ability bonuses, plus neighborhoods, building house from ground up, chocobo stall for raising and breeding your chocobos, and being able to buy or sale houses. They are revolutionizing player housing in this game. Let's look at crafting, another MMO feature that has been done time and time again. FFXIV's crafting system actually makes me want to craft as compared to other MMOs. They even have their own classes. They have revolutionized crafting with this game.

My response: If you are judging a game based on graphics rather than gameplay, you really shouldn't be playing games. The graphics aren't going to affect my gameplay, and they aren't terrible graphics anyways.

There are more complaints, but I am covering the main ones. Now I am going to point out some key things that make this MMORPG a very high quality MMO. Many things have been done in past MMOs, but not as well or fun, while some is new. Take CoD Modern Warfare 3 for example, it had the same stuff that has been done in other FPS game, and that's because that is what makes it a FPS, BUT it did them better, or with new ideas or approach to similar concepts. It's the same with ARR. The minion system is the only thing that is not done better or different than past MMOs.

#4 Duty finder

#5 The mini-game attraction park type area similar to the Gold Saucer from FFVII

#6 Superior crafting, housing, and breeding/raising (if what I read about housing and breeding/raising is true).

#7 Limit breaks

#8 Plenty of quest system variations (I'm not saying no other MMO had various quest systems, but fewer do than those those that don't. The norm does not include a plethora of quest systems.)

#9 The way they ease you into the game is done at a perfect pace, without being too confusing, and without piling on too much text or info at once.

and more . . .

Ultimately, ARR is easily one of the best MMOs out there even before the other features are made available, AND still in beta with limits. That's saying a lot. Fast forward this game years forward so it has had as much time to grow as games like WoW, and it's easy to realize this is going to be an MMO juggernaut. If I had to bet on any MMO being the next big MMO on the success level of WoW, this is one I would bet on. Sadly, I believe the original release of FFXIV will prevent this from happening due to people refusing to try this as a result, but going by quality it is superb. Plus the developers are very active in their relationship with the players and making this game as good as they can based on the feedback. Sure, they can't do everything requested, but they have listened and done a lot compared to most developers. This is a good sign for the future.

You addressed none of the issues I had with the game. And things being said like the highlighted example above is why it's going to be funny watching the train derail, not because I want the game to fail. I came into beta with high hopes. I grew up with FF and  other Square classics. Things just seem to not be the same with that Enix tacked on at the end. Just look at FFXVI. I died a little inside.

Originally posted by wordiz

#4 Duty finder

#7 Limit breaks

and more . . .

You addressed none of the issues I had with the game. And things being said like the highlighted example above is why it's going to be funny watching the train derail, not because I want the game to fail. I came into beta with high hopes. I grew up with FF and  other Square classics. Things just seem to not be the same with that Enix tacked on at the end. Just look at FFXVI. I died a little inside.

I won't lie, I didn't read that behemoth. But to be fair, you never stated your issues. You just expressed your dislike is all.

But the man definitely put in some effort in there, I won't lie. Just to cater to ya, you special guy.

• xenomonk123xenomonk123 Member Posts: 15
    This game is terrible, as many have said before, it's simply another tab targetted combat fedex quests game with a storyline. Cool, good graphics. Wow... Next.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I feel this game is rather horrible from an MMO longevity perspective.  It appeals to the same sort of characteristics that has driven the MMO genre into the casual doldrums of the current iterations.  Each game appeals to different types and I personally dislike everything the game has to offer.  I have played cheaply made F2P games longer then I played this game.  From the art style to the boring combat system, nothing of this game screams play me and for the life of me I do not see how anyone could spend more then a few minutes playing this style of MMO.  But then again that's why everyone is different and if everyone was identical the world would be boring.  Have fun enjoying your game of choice and I'll enjoy mine.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by xenomonk123
    This game is terrible, as many have said before, it's simply another tab targetted combat fedex quests game with a storyline. Cool, good graphics. Wow... Next.

Are you saying this because you have participated in the beta, tried it when it was the previous version that does not represent the current state, or because you have only seen and heard what other people think and are parotting their opinions without even trying the game for yourself.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

#4 Duty finder

#7 Limit breaks

and more . . .

I swear not to derail this thread but this post could of been made a year ago at the height of the GW2 fandom.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Witten
    Originally posted by wordiz

#4 Duty finder

#7 Limit breaks

and more . . .

I won't lie, I didn't read that behemoth. But to be fair, you never stated your issues. You just expressed your dislike is all.

But the man definitely put in some effort in there, I won't lie. Just to cater to ya, you special guy.

Oh, I enjoyed what they wrote. I DID read it.  They addressed the major concerns raised in the forum as of late, and I agree with most of their points. I usually like to read and THEN respond.

I don't have to state my issues. This thread wasn't titled, "Why I'm skeptical of FFXIV" it was titled "So Good It's Scary." I wasn't here to state my concerns about an unfinished game that most people haven't seen the later levels of. 

I was here, drawn by the title of the thread to say:

Hype much?

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369

its called a mmorpg

don't like it go play a different genre , first noobs whine on threads and ask for nerf this nerf that then its change this add that waaaaaagh i dont liek running to dungeons i wants teleports! omg riding mounts takes too long i wants flying mounts give now whaaaaaagh  omg its not fair raiders get all the best loot  i wants loot too for doing nothing otherwise its not fair whaaaaag and now its noobs again trying to change the genre into something else.

don't like questing and kill x mobs deliver a to b quests then play modern warfare or some shit, sometimes i wish mmorpgs would die off completely just so all the new generation can go back to COD/Fifa or whatever and let the players who played mmorpgs back in the day when it was just a niche group of players who enjoyed the games and just played without the whining its too hard and nerf this spam and now.. "we dont like doing quests" or we "dont like tab targeting" crap

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

Are you saying this because you have participated in the beta, tried it when it was the previous version that does not represent the current state, or because you have only seen and heard what other people think and are parotting their opinions without even trying the game for yourself.

In fairness, I can see where he is coming from. While I think the game is fun, it is a clone of Rift/GW2. So while it will get a steady amount of niche subs from FF fans, it will hardly be a blip amongst MMO releases this year because it is same old, same old.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

Originally posted by azzamasin
    I feel this game is rather horrible from an MMO longevity perspective.  It appeals to the same sort of characteristics that has driven the MMO genre into the casual doldrums of the current iterations.  Each game appeals to different types and I personally dislike everything the game has to offer.  I have played cheaply made F2P games longer then I played this game.  From the art style to the boring combat system, nothing of this game screams play me and for the life of me I do not see how anyone could spend more then a few minutes playing this style of MMO.  But then again that's why everyone is different and if everyone was identical the world would be boring.  Have fun enjoying your game of choice and I'll enjoy mine.

Thank you for sharing that with us, as you did so vehemently yesterday as well. We got you the first time. :P

Originally posted by rush1984

its called a mmorpg

don't like it go play a different genre , first noobs whine on threads and ask for nerf this nerf that then its change this add that waaaaaagh i dont liek running to dungeons i wants teleports! omg riding mounts takes too long i wants flying mounts give now whaaaaaagh  omg its not fair raiders get all the best loot  i wants loot too for doing nothing otherwise its not fair whaaaaag and now its noobs again trying to change the genre into something else.

don't like questing and kill x mobs deliver a to b quests then play modern warfare or some shit, sometimes i wish mmorpgs would die off completely just so all the new generation can go back to COD/Fifa or whatever and let the players who played mmorpgs back in the day when it was just a niche group of players who enjoyed the games and just played without the whining its too hard and nerf this spam and now.. "we dont like doing quests" or we "dont like tab targeting" crap

Don't bother with that guy, his mind was made up before he played the game. Next he'll be jumping on the next one, and then on to the next.

You'll be fine with your well made fantasy MMO.

• KorzeamKorzeam Member UncommonPosts: 15

What a surprise, sandbox fans don't like FF14.

Yes it's a themepark (and a good one), so live with it !

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Korzeam

Most of them are intelligent enough to not come flood the threads with the obvious.

Should it be somehow a negative to the game that someone who doesn't like themepark MMO's comes in here telling everyone he doesn't like themepark MMO's? Next a Halo player goes to a Forza forum to proclaim that Forza 6 sucks I guess.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451

The funny thing is people think the other games coming out will be something new and amazing. TESO, Archage, ect are all going to be exactly the same action combat game with some gimic in them to try to "Revolutionize" the genre. Aka a sales pitch to try to get people to try it out.

XIV from everything I seen has a higher chance of long term success then any of the other "Big" mmos coming out on the horizon. Higher quality story and graphics, more content variety, simply more content at launch the other new mmos, bigger financial backing for updates and expansions.

The funny part is for the majority of the mmo players tab target > action mmo. And you cannot disagree with that because far far more people are playing the tab target games then the new action mmos. Honestly the action mmos seem to be doing fairly poorly atm.

Is the action mmo scene expanding yes, but currently the tab target games player wise is still over 80% of the total mmo genre. There are many people who plain hate the action mmos. This mmo is not for someone who wants the action style game. Final Fantasy Traditionally is not a series for someone who wants the action style game. (Will see if Verses/FFXV works with that style)

As for pointless questing to level up name 1 mmo made post WoW that does not have them, that is a AAA title and is successful. It is what the genre is now. I personally hate it but it is what the mmo has become. Thankyou WoW.......... That is also the great part of XIV this game is not designed to be only pointless leveling quest... they are there for an option. There are many other methods of getting XP. Honestly you cannot even fully level a character (all classes) on quest alone because there is not enough, and it was done intentionally.

As for the many saying it is terrible.. That many is the vast minority. most are either saying it is average/above average or really good.

To sum it up this will be a game for people who want to play a Final Fantasy MMO in the modern casual mmo style. If you do not want to play a Final Fantasy game you will probably say it is horrible. Just like there are millions who say Final Fantasy VII was a horrible game.

This is not overhype in XIV atm. Because the majority went into beta expecting the game to be garbage because of 1.0. So negative hype going into it? The current hype is being caused because the remake is really that good, and people are honestly impressed.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'm tired of narrow path driven MMORPGs.  I want an open, exploration driven MMO and it looks like I'll have to wait for either Wildstar or EverQuest Next to get it, because it doesn't even remotely exist in FFXIV.

I love themeparks and I think the game is horrible.  Mainly because it brings nothing new to the genre like say GW2 or even SWTOR did.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Most of them are intelligent enough to not come flood the threads with the obvious.

Should it be somehow a negative to the game that someone who doesn't like themepark MMO's comes in here telling everyone he doesn't like themepark MMO's? Next a Halo player goes to a Forza forum to proclaim that Forza 6 sucks I guess.

You can go through the positive reactions to the game on this forum and see a lot of people with pro-sandbox in their signatures too.  Some people just like games and aren't radical idealists hellbent on the destruction of all that is not pure,  But this is an internet forum, so those types certainly are going to wage their great crusade here.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I'm tired of narrow path driven MMORPGs.  I want an open, exploration driven MMO and it looks like I'll have to wait for either Wildstar or EverQuest Next to get it, because it doesn't even remotely exist in FFXIV.

Nope its as linear as a game can get.

Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

In fairness, I can see where he is coming from. While I think the game is fun, it is a clone of Rift/GW2. So while it will get a steady amount of niche subs from FF fans, it will hardly be a blip amongst MMO releases this year because it is same old, same old.

We all know MMOs take something from their predecessors, that's just how things work in general.

Like RIFT and GW2 took from WoW, it's a trend that just keeps going. I guess the question is when will players finally be content enough to stick with just one game?

I guess that's how I feel about FFXIV.

Originally posted by Xatsh

The funny thing is people think the other games coming out will be something new and amazing. TESO, Archage, ect are all going to be exactly the same action combat game with some gimic in them to try to "Revolutionize" the genre. Aka a sales pitch to try to get people to try it out.

XIV from everything I seen has a higher chance of long term success then any of the other "Big" mmos coming out on the horizon. Higher quality story and graphics, more content variety, simply more content at launch the other new mmos, bigger financial backing for updates and expansions.

The funny part is for the majority of the mmo players tab target > action mmo. And you cannot disagree with that because far far more people are playing the tab target games then the new action mmos. Honestly the action mmos seem to be doing fairly poorly atm.

Is the action mmo scene expanding yes, but currently the tab target games player wise is still over 80% of the total mmo genre. There are many people who plain hate the action mmos. This mmo is not for someone who wants the action style game. Final Fantasy Traditionally is not a series for someone who wants the action style game. (Will see if Verses/FFXV works with that style)

As for pointless questing to level up name 1 mmo made post WoW that does not have them, that is a AAA title and is successful. It is what the genre is now. I personally hate it but it is what the mmo has become. Thankyou WoW.......... That is also the great part of XIV this game is not designed to be only pointless leveling quest... they are there for an option. There are many other methods of getting XP. Honestly you cannot even fully level a character (all classes) on quest alone because there is not enough, and it was done intentionally.

As for the many saying it is terrible.. That many is the vast minority. most are either saying it is average/above average or really good.

To sum it up this will be a game for people who want to play a Final Fantasy MMO in the modern casual mmo style. If you do not want to play a Final Fantasy game you will probably say it is horrible. Just like there are millions who say Final Fantasy VII was a horrible game.

This is not overhype in XIV atm. Because the majority went into beta expecting the game to be garbage because of 1.0. So negative hype going into it? The current hype is being caused because the remake is really that good, and people are honestly impressed.

Why is the majority of every new triple-A MMO coming out with some sort of action type combat?  I assure you business executives do not make money on things people do not want.  Its part of the laws of economics.