Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Got to 80 again, now what?

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I got to 80 again. I like this game. But I just feel like I'm out of stuff to do. I dont care about gear, I'm more of a PVPer but the lack of depth and meaning to the PVP, and the fact that its not on my server simply doesn't draw me in. I was going to start a 3rd toon but I just dont feel up for that. Have I ran my GW2 course? I was thinking of taking my tank and doing 100% World Comp.

Comments

• terroniterroni Ya, INPosts: 935Member
    In Guild Wars 1 I picked up the habit of going for titles and completion. What about the ...ranked pvp?

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Frankfort, KYPosts: 474Member Uncommon

Actually 100% world completion is kind of fun if you don't approach it as a chore. There are a number of events and areas that can be pretty fun and though you are down-leveled you are still more powerful than a zone level character so helping others out on their quests can be rewarding.

GW2 is the kind of game you can take a break from and come back with some renewed interest because of the pricing structure and the fairly regular updates so perhaps that might be a good path too. Have a good one

• VaselVasel ausin, TXPosts: 90Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MuffinStump

Actually 100% world completion is kind of fun if you don't approach it as a chore. There are a number of events and areas that can be pretty fun and though you are down-leveled you are still more powerful then a zone level character so helping others out on their quests can be rewarding.

GW2 is the kind of game you can take a break from and come back with some renewed interest because of the pricing structure and the fairly regular updates so perhaps that might be a good path too. Have a good one

There was a lot about GW2 I liked but the total absence of any character progression past 80 made me quit. When the difference from a dungeon drop and the legendary weapon is practically nothing it kind of makes all the work pointless. I don't want to be the ubar leet player but I want my character to grow with time played. your toon at 80  is about as strong as it ever will be.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

If they had collections and houses to decorate with them that would keep me going for a long time. Right now everything just feels so WOW pointless. Like nothing I do matters, which for me is a big part of the fun.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people express this sentiment.  I stopped for almost 3 months and didn't think I could get back into it, but I logged in, patched, etc. and I've been playing all June.  I can't even remember why I quit. 

Like someone else said, if going for titles is your thing, that's one option.  I did the same thing in WoW when I ran out of things that interested me in the standard content, I ground out achievements, etc.  There's weapon master, slayer, and the temporary content to do for me.  Some of the others like the cultural armor achievements cost more gold, but that'll come later.

• PiechunksPiechunks ProvincePosts: 136Member

The same thing you did (well if you played it) when you beat Skyrim: you play something else!

That's the beauty of b2p titles. You pay once, you never pay again (except for expansions if you want) and you're never obligated to log in to make yourself feel like that 15 per month is worth it.

GW2 isn't a gear grinding game. You're supposed to quit if you're a normal human being after hitting 80 sufficiently many times (probably 5).

• 1vald21vald2 StuttgartPosts: 75Member

IMO, even if Guild Wars 2 is labeled an MMO, it feels more like a single-player game with multiplayer built-in. Now don't get me wrong. Obviously it is still an MMO but not in the traditional sense where you invest A LOT of time in it. 

GW2 could act like a mini-game type MMO in between your real/main MMOs, since you will be spending a lot less time in GW2 and this game is very much just a "jump in for the quick fun" type, like a mini-game. :)

The B2P model also encourages the jump in and jump out mentality.

• HokieHokie Vancouver Wa.Posts: 1,063Member Uncommon

Thats been my problem. I love the game. The exploration aspect of it is just awesome.

But every time I log into play after a few hours I start to think, "so what do I do after level cap?" I dont like running dungeons. PvP is fun and it is something Im looking forward to. But there has to be more than that for me at end game.

And so I kinda get depressed (not really the word I wanted to use), and log out.

Ive been looking at EVE again. It was my 1st true love of an MMO, not my first played even. But I just cant bring myself to reinstall. Its a game that requires some serious dedication to play and succeed. Not sure if I can dedicate 4-6 hours a night playing and 10+ on the weekends anymore. Although there is a part of me that wants too.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    @Hokie - if you don't like the casual nature of GW2 and you don't have time for a hardcore MMO, then what do you want to play?  Serious question since I can't think of a happy medium.  Have you tried LoL?
  • Soki123Soki123 Kelowna, BCPosts: 1,478Member Uncommon

Actually 100% world completion is kind of fun if you don't approach it as a chore. There are a number of events and areas that can be pretty fun and though you are down-leveled you are still more powerful than a zone level character so helping others out on their quests can be rewarding.

Problem is, if you take a break too long you ll miss out on the oh so great "Living Story".  Another great design decision, along with the RvR wannabe attempt, that is WvW.

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,949Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tierless

I got to 80 again. I like this game. But I just feel like I'm out of stuff to do. I dont care about gear, I'm more of a PVPer but the lack of depth and meaning to the PVP, and the fact that its not on my server simply doesn't draw me in. I was going to start a 3rd toon but I just dont feel up for that. Have I ran my GW2 course? I was thinking of taking my tank and doing 100% World Comp.

Play some PvP, then take a break for a while. 100% world completion is a good goal though, and if you are up for the grind a legendary item is a worthy goal as well.

Games like GW1 & 2 are games where a few months off either playing other games or doing other stuff actually helps though, I usually take the entire summers off drinking beer, playing pen and paper games and doing other stuff instead, that is how I was able to play GW for over 5 years. It have always been more fun when I actually come back.

Just making alts all the time isn't really that fun in the long run. It would be nice if they announced an expansion soon. :)

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Greencastle, INPosts: 2,594Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Loke666

Play some PvP, then take a break for a while. 100% world completion is a good goal though, and if you are up for the grind a legendary item is a worthy goal as well.

Games like GW1 & 2 are games where a few months off either playing other games or doing other stuff actually helps though, I usually take the entire summers off drinking beer, playing pen and paper games and doing other stuff instead, that is how I was able to play GW for over 5 years. It have always been more fun when I actually come back.

Just making alts all the time isn't really that fun in the long run. It would be nice if they announced an expansion soon. :)

Beer is a most worthy goal anytime.

• RecoreRecore Posts: 5,091Member Uncommon
    Try other games because there are a lot of better ones out there.
    Raptr Gamercard
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,537Member Uncommon

I personally knew that Guild Wars 2 wouldn't last me longer than five months or so.  Though I figured the expansions would be put out quick to give me another three months of play time.  It's due to this not being the case that I'm at an interesting transition period.  I enjoy the adventure feeling the game still gives me, but hate how it's so RNG based.  I spent about six months trying to get a precursor that I never got, and every time I log in I'm unable to afford a 30g piece of armor from the racial vendor simply because there's no real reliable way to make money (used to farm dragons on all my characters, but they nerfed that to once per account... or spending time playing the auction house for hours a day... of which I would just go to Diablo III for that).

While I have most dungeon armor sets, I'm still unable to complete most of my tier 3 racial armor sets and that just makes me depressed whenever I log in.  Kind've makes me miss daily quests with a guaranteed income so long as you work hard at it.  Though there may be the "new next thing" that I just haven't kept up with in making fast gold.

The only thing I can therefore suggest is just leveling another character or trying to complete all the puzzles and or the map completion.  Though I might start logging into the original guild wars more so than the second soon.  Still have a few characters that I haven't finished the Guild Wars Beyond quests with.

When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

• BjelarBjelar RullumpPosts: 384Member
    Originally posted by Piechunks

The same thing you did (well if you played it) when you beat Skyrim: you play something else!

That's the beauty of b2p titles. You pay once, you never pay again (except for expansions if you want) and you're never obligated to log in to make yourself feel like that 15 per month is worth it.

GW2 isn't a gear grinding game. You're supposed to quit if you're a normal human being after hitting 80 sufficiently many times (probably 5).

Well said. I've played through GW2 twice, and I will probably pick it up again in a year or so and play through it again.

That's what I did/do with Skyrim too.

It's not good or bad, it's just different from some MMOs which I play for ten years.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Posts: 758Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mannish

Oh right like Tera cause it's got soo much to offer!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Hokie

Thats been my problem. I love the game. The exploration aspect of it is just awesome.

But every time I log into play after a few hours I start to think, "so what do I do after level cap?" I dont like running dungeons. PvP is fun and it is something Im looking forward to. But there has to be more than that for me at end game.

And so I kinda get depressed (not really the word I wanted to use), and log out.

Ive been looking at EVE again. It was my 1st true love of an MMO, not my first played even. But I just cant bring myself to reinstall. Its a game that requires some serious dedication to play and succeed. Not sure if I can dedicate 4-6 hours a night playing and 10+ on the weekends anymore. Although there is a part of me that wants too.

WvW Spvp and legendary crafting has been my to do list lately for my main.  Other than that I have 2 other characters that im having a blast with.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

• HokieHokie Vancouver Wa.Posts: 1,063Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    @Hokie - if you don't like the casual nature of GW2 and you don't have time for a hardcore MMO, then what do you want to play?  Serious question since I can't think of a happy medium.  Have you tried LoL?

Yeah, I didnt really explain that well.

Its not that I dont like casual. Its that at end-level I need more to do than just dungeons/raiding (which I very rarely do) or PvP, which is really all that GW2 offers atm.

EVE on the other hand. If you get tired of mining, you can, run missons, or trade runs, or production, or play the market, or scan anomolies, or do worm holes, or rat, I could go on with about 5 more. But EVE does take some serious commitment of time to payoff on anyone of those.

I think part of my problem is that Im maybe to casual now. I probably put in 4+ hours of gaming in during week nights and 10+ on week ends if I have nothing going on. But its 1 1-1/2 in Planetside2, then maybe a few playing SWToR or GW2, then maybe an hour playing Skyrim, or Kerbal, or Towns.

In the end no one game/MMO has grabbed me enough to make me see the benefits of extended invested play, except for EVE. And I did EVE for 4 years hardcore, I just need something different.

And it seems that MMO's now are so casual friendly that there is no real payoff for time invested besides hitting level cap. They've made it so causal and easy to hop into and out of that their player base is now transient.

Kinda like ******* yourself in **** *** ***. May have sound great at the time, but yeah its not all what its cut out to be.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• drakaenadrakaena Posts: 488Member Uncommon

I'll first start by saying I think GW2 is better than nearly every MMO out right now. However, I play exactly 0 MMO's out right now so imo it is king of the hill made of garbage. 

I never thought the game itself justified devoting meaningful hours when played with mouse and keyboard. But when played with an XBox controller it is actually kinda fun and the UI is much more adaptable to gaming controllers because of the F key feature and limited skills. 

So that would be my recommendation... hookup a gamepad and kill shyt. It's not optimal but due to that it actually makes the game somewhat challenging. Not really but it's something. 

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon

Do it again! Because they're not currently planning an expansion any time soon! I hope you enjoy the temporary content they call living stories. 

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • RecoreRecore Posts: 5,091Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    Originally posted by Mannish

Oh right like Tera cause it's got soo much to offer!

Yes, it does but most importantly it offers the feel of a real mmo which GW2 does not.. Currently with 18 servers in the west and a major update coming July 2nd bringing the much anticipated Guild Alliance System, Sieges and Guild Halls.image

Raptr Gamercard
  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member

The thing to keep in mind with GW2 is that they're not, once you hit 80, forcing you down a single, narrow path of things to do like raid gear treadmill based games. WoW, for example (having played that in the past), forces you down a very narrow path once you hit max level. Only the latest raids exist as viable content since you've made obsolete all prior content. Really... what is there to do in WoW for end game? The latest raid. Add some PvP and that's it. Sure, you get the illusion of progression through the endless gear treadmill, but all that really does is allow you to obsolete what you're doing and wait for the next raid which will be power boosted enough that your "progression" from the last raid is now obsolete.

By removing the gear treadmill you're not being confined to the illusion of progression like in treadmill based games. You still can do any and all of the content you wish and have it viable. You can run all the dungeons with challenge. You can do the world events and open world dungeons. Exploration has its challenges in any zone. Jumping puzzles, sPvP (arena style), WvW, map completion, etc. all remain viable.

People are so used to the older games funneling you through a single door when you hit max level that in a game like GW2, with no forced "progression" funneling it can feel like there's nothing to do when you get there. You just need to realize you still have everything to do you've been doing up to this point. Choose what you enjoy doing, don't accept being told what you're only path is at max level.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainPosts: 1,673Member

Get a commander icon, work at your reputation for coordinating WvW successfully, lead your world up the ranks. That's about as far as 'doing something that matters' goes.

Other than that, as Volkon pointed out, GW2 doesn't guide you into meaningless repetitions. Do whatever you feel like doing, and if you really don't feel like doing anything at all, take some time off and come back later. I know, not continuing to play after it stopped being fun is a very novel idea to most MMO veterans, but try it out, you might be surprised.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel houston, TXPosts: 7,275Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Volkon

The thing to keep in mind with GW2 is that they're not, once you hit 80, forcing you down a single, narrow path of things to do like raid gear treadmill based games. WoW, for example (having played that in the past), forces you down a very narrow path once you hit max level. Only the latest raids exist as viable content since you've made obsolete all prior content. Really... what is there to do in WoW for end game? The latest raid. Add some PvP and that's it. Sure, you get the illusion of progression through the endless gear treadmill, but all that really does is allow you to obsolete what you're doing and wait for the next raid which will be power boosted enough that your "progression" from the last raid is now obsolete.

By removing the gear treadmill you're not being confined to the illusion of progression like in treadmill based games. You still can do any and all of the content you wish and have it viable. You can run all the dungeons with challenge. You can do the world events and open world dungeons. Exploration has its challenges in any zone. Jumping puzzles, sPvP (arena style), WvW, map completion, etc. all remain viable.

People are so used to the older games funneling you through a single door when you hit max level that in a game like GW2, with no forced "progression" funneling it can feel like there's nothing to do when you get there. You just need to realize you still have everything to do you've been doing up to this point. Choose what you enjoy doing, don't accept being told what you're only path is at max level.

I think what you meant to say about no forced "progression" is really no progression at all. There are other games out there that allow you to explore places, find things, complete special acts, gain different gear, compete in world PvP, compete in arena PvP, complete raids and dungeons and challenges, and at the end of the day, any single one of those avenues will aid in the progression of your character, instead of putting you on a cycle of earning  a lot of extras for absolutely no gains.

"Loan me a Dragon I wanna see space"

• NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainPosts: 1,673Member
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

I think what you meant to say about no forced "progression" is really no progression at all. There are other games out there that allow you to explore places, find things, complete special acts, gain different gear, compete in world PvP, compete in arena PvP, complete raids and dungeons and challenges, and at the end of the day, any single one of those avenues will aid in the progression of your character, instead of putting you on a cycle of earning  a lot of extras for absolutely no gains.

I'll gladly do all of those things, provided they are entertaining, without any attached progression of my character. Specifically when said progression is just an illusion to begin with that stopped being effective 3 games ago.