Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Citizen: E3 2013: Chatting Star Citizen with Chris Roberts

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We caught up with Cloud Imperium Games' Chris Roberts to discuss Star Citizen at this year's E3 event in Los Angeles. Read on to find out what we learned!

Chris Roberts has a pretty interesting development plan for Star Citizen. Most of us are used to waiting with bated breath for our favorite games for an often overly extensive period of time. Some publishers or developers have mercy on us from time to time and don’t even announce their games until around six months out, but this isn’t often the case. Instead of waiting around with nothing to show for your backing until the game fully releases, Cloud Imperium Games will be releasing Star Citizen bit-by-bit in the form of modules.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Citizen: E3 2013: Chatting Star Citizen with Chris Roberts.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I am hopeful for this game. 2015 can't come soon enough!

Smile

• Star-CitizenStar-Citizen Member Posts: 2

Just some clarification

• You have till July 6th to get lifetime insurance or new 300 series ship (there will be grace period)
    • The website is now down, the new site will be launched on Friday (16:00 GMT, I think)
    • Original goal was $2M, $500k was kickstarter goal, kickstarter campaign was added later because the site was not prepared for the number of space sim fans, that is one of the reasons why they are launching new site.
    • They were going to prove interest for private investors, but the interest was so big that they are trying to crowdfund AAA game without them, they will need ~$20M to do that.

• mightpyromightpyro Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Also to ad to that the largest playable ship in the game is the Bengal Carrier, which can manned by up to 750 players tbd after testing.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    I've been sold on this game for quite sometime. I still won't contribute until something concrete is released. Just the risk I'm comfortable taking. This line told me all I really needed to hear though. "PC gaming as a whole has been held back by the current generation of consoles for too long and Star Citizen looks to show us what a truly next-generation space sim can be like while also championing the power of the PC platform." I'm actually starting to anticipate this game.

• Star-CitizenStar-Citizen Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by mightpyro
    Also to ad to that the largest playable ship in the game is the Bengal Carrier, which can manned by up to 750 players tbd after testing.

Yeah, the carrier will be the largest playable ship, I am not so sure about 750 players though, the crew of 750 is more or less lore number. It will be probably determined in the game but I think that  the actual player crew will be much lower, I would say that maximum will be 25 + pilots of docked ships. We will see.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    God this game seems too good to be true. lol

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by nethervoid
    God this game seems too good to be true. lol

That's what I'm afraid of. If it's on par with Freelancer and X-wing , I'll be happy though.

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

It's been quite a while since Chris Roberts forced us to buy new hardware for our PCs eh?

I backed this project for an amount I'm not comfortable divulging...or remembering. Their goal of including the community isn't just a marketing line. They give us updates literally every week day since around November 2012. There are devs in their chat room every weekday and sometimes weekends.

I'm loving this I'm having fun and the game isn't anywhere near release.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Ya this will take a good CPU and GPU for sure. 

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• tfokillswitchtfokillswitch Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Star-Citizen
    Originally posted by mightpyro

Yeah, the carrier will be the largest playable ship, I am not so sure about 750 players though, the crew of 750 is more or less lore number. It will be probably determined in the game but I think that  the actual player crew will be much lower, I would say that maximum will be 25 + pilots of docked ships. We will see.

that ship is going to be a persistent ships. they are going to be like clan star bases. Roberts has stated that  you will need 24hr round the clock protection for it because it will stay on the server and is venerable for some one to steal it form you and will need other player to man stations to move it around. not just one person will be able to have  it. the corvette is the biggest  ships that one person can own

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I'll admit the game has my interest. Been watching the livestream with him and he's very open to answering questions. He's taking in ideas as well as trying to be transparent (without giving away too much) on what they are trying to accomplish with this game.

It sounds very promising and looks equally as appealing. This may be the true upgrade to something like EVE online. It will take more time to see how the information keeps flowing on this project. Although I'm not as commited to the title as some others with donations, it's not something I'm totally closed to.

I hope the team can maintain their ethusiasm and focus for however long it takes for a release. Fans in waiting and those looking for something new should be hopeful they take their time on crafting this. With not being under the thumb of some corporate logo it's going to be exciting to see where this all ends up.

/Officially paying attention

Star Citizen / World of Darkness

Next-Gen GAMEPLAY MMO's?

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• DolnorDolnor Member UncommonPosts: 32

Let me tell you about the deep-pocket supporters of this game.  During their recent 24-hour Live Streaming event, they offered a large ship for sale.  They offered 150 of them at $1250USD each.  And they were sold out in 9 minutes!!!  So they later offered another 50 to allow for the European community to have a shot at getting one...and those sold out in minutes!

So yeah, many people are very very hyper about the game!

TQQdles™,

Dolnor Numbwit

Eternal Testing Newbie

• RewhymoRewhymo Member Posts: 53

what i want to see and i thought i saw it in a gameplay video is being able to fly like in battlestar galactica. Being able to use the zero gravity to your advantage.

• Sorien88Sorien88 Member Posts: 15

God I had been ignoring this game but after reading the website I just want to throw money at it.. It's like every sentence i read makes me want to give them $$$$$ lol.

Hopefully they live up to what they are promising us. But OMFG a good space game with OCCULUS RIFT OMGWTFBBQ YES PLZZLZLZ