Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your idea of the perfect EQN sandbox?

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
To you, what would be perfect?
"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by bcbully

You really wanna know? lol

Ok...

SWG 2.0 (pre-cu/NGE), but in the fantasy world of Norrath, what we call Everquest. image

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

No xp quests.

Group-centric game.

Rich PvE experience.

In depth and balanced game economy.

Minimal instances.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Giffen

No xp quests.

Group-centric game.

Rich PvE experience.

In depth and balanced game economy.

Minimal instances.

Oh... and I want to add this to my comment... lol.... 

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Re-launch EQ with newer graphics. Give all classes the ability to solo without the requirement of using mercs.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

First and foremost a sandbox needs PVE.

PVE progression is something every sandbox game in the past failed to produce, and why the pvp side of the game becomes so dry and meaningless.  Players need more than just resources and territory to fight over.  They need common objectives to compete over which create rivalries organically.  (Worked perfectly on EQ PvP servers)

Proper itemization from both pve and crafting.

Rarity of items to promote a good economy (see EQ1), no loot pinatas.

Completely open world, absolutely no instances.  Everything is contested.

No questing for exp, but dynamic meaningful questing that yield lore and rewards.

Not just the building of structures, but the creation of actual cities that thrive and become homes to surrounding players.

Crafted player housing (non-instanced obviously).

Tradeskills with depth and that allow creativity.  Players should be engaged in tradeskills, not see them as a chore.  Ideally, there should be enough to enjoy with the crafting and building spheres of the game that players actually play the game solely to craft.

PvP.  

It absolutely has to have PvP.  It doesn't have to be no holds barred, no safe zones, completely FFA pvp, but there has to be some PvP in a sandbox where cities can be built and destroyed, and so many parts of the game exist for the sake of competition.  PvP must exist somewhere in the world.

My preference for PvP is FFA with relatively safe cities and player cities.  Guards should exist to protect players and should be for hire in player cities.  Players should also be safe in their castles or houses until such a time as those castles and houses are burnt to the ground because they weren't smart enough to hire guards or seek alliances with other players.

For EQ Next, I hope there are servers with varying PvP rulesets to please everyone.  I'm fairly certain PvP will exist in all server but that the general servers will only allow pvp in certain areas or continents where players build and will have plenty of safe zones.  Then I'd hope for a race wars server with FFA pvp.  Then I'd hope for PvP with some sort of partial loot system.  That should just about please everyone except for the whiners who don't want pvp at all.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Shadowbane in Norrath is my answer.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

I want a literal copy of EVE in the EQ universe with EQ questing and raiding added in. EVE has missions and Incursions which are...questing and raiding, so...EVE in EQ.

Realistically I think well get EVE in EQ with no pvp.

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

Remove the concept of a PvE or a PvP game.

Make the world work and leave the details up to the rest of us.

Obey the laws of physics, specifically action/reaction.

Make the world an interactive experience and allow us to become part of the world.

Front end design the game.

Randomess in all things with more then one option.

Give us the tools to allow us to make the tools.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by dejoblue

I want a literal copy of EVE in the EQ universe with EQ questing and raiding added in. EVE has missions and Incursions which are...questing and raiding, so...EVE in EQ.

Realistically I think well get EVE in EQ with no pvp.

EVE has pvp, so to have EVE in EQN you would need pvp.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Only sandbox tools I really want are...

1. Be able to change skills and spells to be mine. Spell effects, change my DD to have a dot at the end. Or remove the dot to make the DD bigger. Things like that.

2. Player housing that impacts the rest of the game. eg, picking flowers for my potion I can on a rare time get seeds I can plant at my house I can harvest.

3. I want a tool set like microsoft Spark demo. To make zones with quests and stories I can share and play. I want rewards that will scale with how hard I make my content.

4. Player created loot. Not just crafted but unique items you can make and I want them as good as top level raid items. 

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Well the only true sandbox I ever played on was a player run persistent world in Neverwinter Nights 2....So if I take my expectations from there....

I want to run my own BDSM Brothel once again and have the tools to make it? Also to use that as a revenue source to fuel my underground drug ring that slowly builds into a slaving empire...I miss that.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Originally posted by Electro057

Well the only true sandbox I ever played on was a player run persistent world in Neverwinter Nights 2....So if I take my expectations from there....

I want to run my own BDSM Brothel once again and have the tools to make it? Also to use that as a revenue source to fuel my underground drug ring that slowly builds into a slaving empire...I miss that.

Me too. Longest time I have kept playing a single game. Played in a world called Avlis. Fully RP oriented with GM's constantly running quests and events (hell I was part of an even revolving around the war between the Elves and Humans for over a year and was a spy with regular solo missions with just myself and a GM who linked my quests into what other GM's were doing for other players).

I also had a shop where I sold all my crafted gear and often I would spend an entire evening just crafting and talking to customers. Good times.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Take normal leveling out.

Use a skill based system. As you use them you gain skill, if you stop they decrease. Have a skill lock to dial in your skills. Skill cap. Once skill cap is reached or you become a master in a skill, you unlock AA advancement for the skill which has it's own cap.

Player houses built from the ground up by crafters. These can't be destroyed unless the castle ground it sits on is conquered and destroyed.

Deep questing system that relies on npc factions similar to many EQ quests.  Have to achieve certain standings by doing stuff for those factions until they like you enuff to interact with you.

Epic PvP battles over resources or desirable areas.

Faction oriented PvP Based on general section of continent your guy hails from, But not completely locked to that. In otherwords you could do some faction quests with npc of a different faction to join that side if you desired.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169

an exact copy of original everquest with Tera-style combat.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz

an exact copy of original everquest with Tera-style combat.

You are going to not be happy come Aug 2nd.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Only sandbox tools I really want are...

1. Be able to change skills and spells to be mine. Spell effects, change my DD to have a dot at the end. Or remove the dot to make the DD bigger. Things like that.

Too complex when scaled for whole server + graphical effects. Will not be implemented.

2. Player housing that impacts the rest of the game. eg, picking flowers for my potion I can on a rare time get seeds I can plant at my house I can harvest.

Was implemented in a number of games already, but an okay feature.

3. I want a tool set like microsoft Spark demo. To make zones with quests and stories I can share and play. I want rewards that will scale with how hard I make my content.

People will make exp/loot farms, so not gonna happen/not gonna be meaningfull in any way.

4. Player created loot. Not just crafted but unique items you can make and I want them as good as top level raid items. 

Not gonna happen. Too complex to implement/raiders will cry and ragequit, and recently the only people staying with games long-time (short of EVE) are raiders. And they'll cry and ragequit, because with non-raider people having gear as powerful as them life has no meaning.

• mcast1234mcast1234 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Wurm online resource gathering, crafting, terraforming and building

Eve economy

Original Everquest classes, world and rich dungeons with updated  zones

No instancing ever

What we will actually get....

Watered down sandbox, which a couple of house build types and some options to create our own quests

Instancing WoW style

Lame economy with f2p "buy now" buttons everywhere

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by mcast1234

Wurm online resource gathering, crafting, terraforming and building

Eve economy

Original Everquest classes, world and rich dungeons with updated  zones

No instancing ever

And nobody (by nobody, I mean not one of our local sandbox huge proponents) plays it because, well, it turns out, true sandboxes are actually tedious, boring and very niche.

What we will actually get....

Watered down sandbox, which a couple of house build types and some options to create our own quests

Instancing WoW style

Lame economy with f2p "buy now" buttons everywhere

Indeed! And we'll love it! At least love it enough to make it really successfull financially, unlike Wurm.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

- A virtual world with a high degree of interaction, with estrategic open world PvP and PVE dependant on PvP. The virtual world would be modifiable by the players' actions and weather would make an impact.

- Strong consequence system for player actions (ie: strong consequence for compulsive ganking). Reputation/Prestige system. Of course, consequences for good/evil morals. Strong banning system (perhaps linking account to credit card number to perma ban for good?)

- Player driven economy and complex crafting. Player generated workshops and vendors. No auction house. Of course, item decay.

- The virtual world would be embedded in the context of a lore. The world changes in accordance with lore's changes. SOE personel acting as Dungeon Masters and generating dynamic events.

- No personal story, just the context of the lore.

- No solo friendly.

- No fixed classes. Progression based on use of skills. Possibility of progression for non-combat character's careers.

- Player generated content: housing, cities. Possibility of becoming Dungeon Masters and commanding NPCs to hardcore players after certain very tough conditions and career progress.

- No PvP and PvE segregation. "Casual Server" with possiblity of flag/unflag for PvP and easier content for the entitled crowd.

- Ideally, integration with mobile devices. Your character would "have a life" when you are not playing and you would give him/her basic orders through a mobile app (sleep/shelter, free for hire, vendor mode, etc).

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Akerbeltz

with estrategic open world PvP and PVE dependant on PvP.

-f flag/unflag for PvP and easier content for the entitled crowd.

Here we go again with the inversions.

Predators (PvP play) are always dependent on prey (PvE play) not the other way round.

Why is it entitled for someone to play a purely PvE style?  It seems to me (based on a number of comments on this site and from actual play in MMORPGs over the last 15 years) that FFA PvP players feel entitled to kill PvE players and feel thwarted by  PvE players not wanting to be killed by them.

• IakXasturIakXastur Member UncommonPosts: 49

- A virtual world with a high degree of interaction, with estrategic open world PvP and PVE dependant on PvP. The virtual world would be modifiable by the players' actions and weather would make an impact.

Agree completely

- Strong consequence system for player actions (ie: strong consequence for compulsive ganking). Reputation/Prestige system. Of course, consequences for good/evil morals. Strong banning system (perhaps linking account to credit card number to perma ban for good?)

Banning system needs to be strong. The thing on morals, really depends on if it's an RP server or not.

- Player driven economy and complex crafting. Player generated workshops and vendors. No auction house. Of course, item decay.

Economy should be COMPLETELY based on players. I have never enjoyed it when the makers "force" the prices of items. Player generated vendors are basically the same as an auction house. And I hate item decay, except when you are able to consistenly get new items easily enough. I'd rather have it harder to get items, and have no decay. Makes you more attached to your items

- The virtual world would be embedded in the context of a lore. The world changes in accordance with lore's changes. SOE personel acting as Dungeon Masters and generating dynamic events.

Yes to dynamic content. So few games do this to any extent any more. I want to see some difficult encounter where you would never expect it to be. OK, cities are still fine too

Agreed

- No solo friendly.

Lets make it limited solo friendly. Not all of us have time, consistently, to join groups. Some limited soloing would be a plus. But make grouping more desirable. Soloing could be good for farming basic mats for TS

- No fixed classes. Progression based on use of skills. Possibility of progression for non-combat character's careers.

Only problem with skill based progression, is that if you spec yourself for one role, and don't have one specific skill up to par, you are often seen as less than wanted. You end up getting a lot of cookie cutters

- Player generated content: housing, cities. Possibility of becoming Dungeon Masters and commanding NPCs to hardcore players after certain very tough conditions and career progress.

Agreed up to becoming Dungeon Master. DM should be a job, even if not payed. It should not be centered around on toon.

- No PvP and PvE segregation. "Casual Server" with possiblity of flag/unflag for PvP and easier content for the entitled crowd.

I'm not a huge PvPer, so I'm jaded here. I like to have some "safe" zones. I don't want to be trying to casually level up, and get randomly ganked by Troll01. Maybe have it flagged PvP, with a timer for starting and stopping PvP, maybe 10minutes?

- Ideally, integration with mobile devices. Your character would "have a life" when you are not playing and you would give him/her basic orders through a mobile app (sleep/shelter, free for hire, vendor mode, etc).

Please god no.  Only reason to integrate with a mobile app would be for an auction house. Or it's a time based skill learning, to change skills. Other than that, no to any mobile integration.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by IakXastur

Agree completely

Banning system needs to be strong. The thing on morals, really depends on if it's an RP server or not.

Economy should be COMPLETELY based on players. I have never enjoyed it when the makers "force" the prices of items. Player generated vendors are basically the same as an auction house. And I hate item decay, except when you are able to consistenly get new items easily enough. I'd rather have it harder to get items, and have no decay. Makes you more attached to your items

Yes to dynamic content. So few games do this to any extent any more. I want to see some difficult encounter where you would never expect it to be. OK, cities are still fine too

Agreed

- No solo friendly.

Lets make it limited solo friendly. Not all of us have time, consistently, to join groups. Some limited soloing would be a plus. But make grouping more desirable. Soloing could be good for farming basic mats for TS

Only problem with skill based progression, is that if you spec yourself for one role, and don't have one specific skill up to par, you are often seen as less than wanted. You end up getting a lot of cookie cutters

Agreed up to becoming Dungeon Master. DM should be a job, even if not payed. It should not be centered around on toon.

I'm not a huge PvPer, so I'm jaded here. I like to have some "safe" zones. I don't want to be trying to casually level up, and get randomly ganked by Troll01. Maybe have it flagged PvP, with a timer for starting and stopping PvP, maybe 10minutes?

Please god no.  Only reason to integrate with a mobile app would be for an auction house. Or it's a time based skill learning, to change skills. Other than that, no to any mobile integration.

Good feebback Iak, I think we have a win-win *ding, ding!*

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• IakXasturIakXastur Member UncommonPosts: 49

All things work out to being how the devs implement ideas. Too often, they are stretched to thin to be able to fully implement their ideas to a workable model. Their backers keep trying to push them to release before things are polished, so things fall out of their sights.

Personally, if we did have a skill based system, I would like them to add something from a book I really enjoyed. When offline, your character performs certain actions based on what you have "programmed" them to do, to increase their abilities. Say you want to get better at casting illusions. You set your character to keep casting Treeform every once in a while. Have gains be less than what you would do yourself, but make it more convenient than creating a macro on your keyboard, to continually do it. I will admit I have a gaming keyboard and I have used it to level up fishing in EQ1, and used it to get divination up, as it didn't want to increase. Being able to be offline and keep leveling up a skill, when you are going for several days would be wonderful.

One thing I would love from an true EQ sandbox. Cities could be founded. Make them instances, so as to keep lag down in the surrounding terrain, even if they take up the space of the city. And then the guild or whoever founds the city levies a tax on the households for upkeep and growth of the city. If you didn't want to join a city, you could be able to have a homestead. Though be warned, random aggressive creatures will want to invade it. Constant upkeep of some sort would be necessary.

• Assailant86Assailant86 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Open World larger then the world of Darkfall: Unholy Wars.

Intricate crafting modeled after Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Ultima Online, which yield useful stuff that cannot be obtained elsewhere.  Give crafting the ability to make some of the best armor in the game, but make the skill that is required to make it fairly high and the materials hard to gather.

True Sandbox MMO with no real pre-destined path of quests, choose your own adventure instead of Level centric "quest Hubs".

RNG style loot with randomized stats a kin to Diablo style ARPGs.  Sick of MMO's having 1,000,000 players end game with the exact same set of armor with the exact same stats.  There is nothing special or unique about it, its boring.

Extreme character custimization somewhat similiar to what Path of Exile Offers.  I would like no two players in the world to be the same.

And last but not least.  I would like the leveling process from 1-Max level to be a grueling process.  Do not follow in the footsteps of all these recent MMO's that cater to those who are used to the World of Warcraft idea that "I MUST GET TO END GAME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE OR I'M GONNA LOOSE MY MIND!!".  I wouldn't be upset if it took me over 15-30 days played before I hit max level.  A game doesn't always have to be about the "end Game"  what about the beginning of a game? Or the middle of a game?  Make us WORK for the end game.

And thats about it =)

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127

While I hate to crash the party, we're all getting excited over a game by SoE. Their absolute best was EQ back in the day, and I'll not dispute that. However, since then, they don't really excel at MMOs, especially not long term. A lot of what they've been saying, is hinting that it may not be a subscription model. I personally hope that is is, and that I am insanely wrong here. EQ2 had amazing crafting, and I still prefer it to everything else out there. Loved the housing and decorating, too!

I just don't think SoE is going to deliver. A lot of their F2P games have been less than desirable, and not something I'd play for months at a time.