Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old School Ownage

the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

This game is Freaking so refreshing..

It is not a cotton candy easy mode game like most games nowadays which is indeed the "popular" thing, but this game ignores the popular and they have created an old school game like early UO / shadowbane / Underlight  or other old school games where you truely do Risk things to gain rewards.

Im so tired of easy mode games with no penalty's even just the simple fact you lose your stuff when you die makes people play the game so much different than say a WoWesque game.  If we were playing wow out solo and you see a group of players you might run in and fight them since you really risk nothing but a few second corpse walk.  In DFUW players wont and dont make foolish choices and engage poorly as well as they will run for there bloody lifes for 30 mins if necessary to avoid losing there gear.

to any1 that thinks losing all your gear is just to much well your probably thinking wrong about what gear is in dfuw..  You dont make a raid work on strats and eventualy drop a big raid boss where you get mighty items after a lot of work just to go out and woops died and lost it.  Gear all comes from crafting, the crafting in dfuw is excellent and everything is disposable.  Once you are established in game it is very easy to have 10 fully setup gear bags in your bank to just grab and equip all top tier stuff as you lose 1 boom you grab another.  Unless you are really bad you also get some pvp wins and add there gear to your gear sets its all disposable and easy come by you dont lose much outside of harvest time of materials.

THIS IS A HARDCORE GAME..  and I dont mean you cant play it casualy because you can but everything about the game is hardcore like old games.  You build cities, you do politics / alliances, you destroy cities, you craft, you train in duels anywhere from 1-1 to 100-100, you roam for pvp, you fish for cash, you do whatever the heck you want.  If you like old difficult punishing games were your actions have real consequences... Check this game out..

Comments

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by the420kid

It is not a cotton candy easy mode game like most games nowadays which is indeed the "popular" thing, but this game ignores the popular and they have created an old school game like early UO / shadowbane / Underlight  or other old school games where you truely do Risk things to gain rewards.

Im so tired of easy mode games with no penalty's even just the simple fact you lose your stuff when you die makes people play the game so much different than say a WoWesque game.  If we were playing wow out solo and you see a group of players you might run in and fight them since you really risk nothing but a few second corpse walk.  In DFUW players wont and dont make foolish choices and engage poorly as well as they will run for there bloody lifes for 30 mins if necessary to avoid losing there gear.

to any1 that thinks losing all your gear is just to much well your probably thinking wrong about what gear is in dfuw..  You dont make a raid work on strats and eventualy drop a big raid boss where you get mighty items after a lot of work just to go out and woops died and lost it.  Gear all comes from crafting, the crafting in dfuw is excellent and everything is disposable.  Once you are established in game it is very easy to have 10 fully setup gear bags in your bank to just grab and equip all top tier stuff as you lose 1 boom you grab another.  Unless you are really bad you also get some pvp wins and add there gear to your gear sets its all disposable and easy come by you dont lose much outside of harvest time of materials.

THIS IS A HARDCORE GAME..  and I dont mean you cant play it casualy because you can but everything about the game is hardcore like old games.  You build cities, you do politics / alliances, you destroy cities, you craft, you train in duels anywhere from 1-1 to 100-100, you roam for pvp, you fish for cash, you do whatever the heck you want.  If you like old difficult punishing games were your actions have real consequences... Check this game out..

lol.  If you think DF:UW is a hardcore game you are surely an inexperienced and ill-informed new player to the game/genre.  Darkfall 1 was lightyears ahead of DF:UW in every aspect you are speaking to.

DF:UW has safezones, meaningless gear/weapons/crafting, meaningless cities that provide no benefit to owning them, and meaningless PvP because there is no wealth in the game.

The gear and weapons in DF:UW is cheap, easy to obtain, and un-modifiable because there is no enchanting system.  Losing all your gear/items doesn't matter when there is an infinite supply of them in your bank because they are so cheap and easy to come by.

The game is nothing other than a PvE grindfest.  There is no content other than grinding mobs.  PvP is stale, slow, and un-inspired compared to the old game.

I'm glad you enjoy the new game.  But don't falsely spread garbage like this to try and get people to try the game.  What will happen is people will try it expecting a hardcore-sandbox like you say it is and then they will be very disappointed.  When they quit, they'll take others with them and kill your game even faster.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but....pop.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I agree with you Mr OP, DFUW is a great game and will only improve. I also enjoy it far more than DF1, as do many friends who also played the first.

Looking forward to the continua l game updates that tweak and add¡
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Dfuw is the best MMO on the market. Not perfect but definitely heading in the right direction.  I look at the other mmos on the market and coming down the pipe and I shake my head.  Oh how the genre has fallen.  If an mmo has an npc marker over there head, instances or some kind of funnelling tactic that prevents me from looking over that mountain range...that is no mmo for me.
  • the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by indef

lol.  If you think DF:UW is a hardcore game you are surely an inexperienced and ill-informed new player to the game/genre.  Darkfall 1 was lightyears ahead of DF:UW in every aspect you are speaking to.

DF:UW has safezones, meaningless gear/weapons/crafting, meaningless cities that provide no benefit to owning them, and meaningless PvP because there is no wealth in the game.

The gear and weapons in DF:UW is cheap, easy to obtain, and un-modifiable because there is no enchanting system.  Losing all your gear/items doesn't matter when there is an infinite supply of them in your bank because they are so cheap and easy to come by.

The game is nothing other than a PvE grindfest.  There is no content other than grinding mobs.  PvP is stale, slow, and un-inspired compared to the old game.

I'm glad you enjoy the new game.  But don't falsely spread garbage like this to try and get people to try the game.  What will happen is people will try it expecting a hardcore-sandbox like you say it is and then they will be very disappointed.  When they quit, they'll take others with them and kill your game even faster.

shocker a df1 vet who used to macro his char up to get an edge over legit players that finds himself getting rolled in dfuw so they hate the game and want df1 back..  Dont spread your hate on a positive thread about a game, I played df1 as well and dfuw is far superior, is it perfect?  No not yet but its got a long life ahead of itself and will continue to get better, but its still a lot better than that macro grind fest and script bs you call hardcore.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Sorry but darkfall will never be as good as UO not even close. I would never even put those two in the same league
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Sorry but darkfall will never be as good as UO not even close. I would never even put those two in the same league

And yet, it's far closer than almost all modern MMORPGs.

And to the above nay sayer, if everything was so cheap and easy to get... how come there is only one set of high end armor on the entire server?

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Yeah.. the average set of armour you see isn't rank30/40 because everything is so easy to get. It's always odd how the people who chant this are always the ones in lesser gear.
  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360

I won't say the game is hard, but most game play involves risk which is pretty much missing from most current generation of MMO now days. 

Once you play Dark Fall and go back to a regular MMO, it will be as if salt is missing from your food.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by gamekid2k

I won't say the game is hard, but most game play involves risk which is pretty much missing from most current generation of MMO now days. 

Once you play Dark Fall and go back to a regular MMO, it will be as if salt is missing from your food.

Its hard to be good at pvp, especially if you are new to the game.  It takes a lot of dueling practice.

The trajectory of all the range shots are unlike any other game, different from all FPS games.  Then theres the stat management mid fight, you need to know when to push melee and when to back off and kite range ect.

Its a hard game outside of pve (and even some of the pve can be pretty damn hard).

Mix that with the unforgiving nature of full loot.  Its not a game for everyone that's for sure. 

The game is a lot easier than the original game, a lot...but its still a difficult game given there is no other game that plays like it out  there.  Doesn't take all that long to get decent though, you just have to spend a lot of time in game practicing pvp, which hurts progression and bank building.

shocker a df1 vet who used to macro his char up to get an edge over legit players that finds himself getting rolled in dfuw so they hate the game and want df1 back..  Dont spread your hate on a positive thread about a game, I played df1 as well and dfuw is far superior, is it perfect?  No not yet but its got a long life ahead of itself and will continue to get better, but its still a lot better than that macro grind fest and script bs you call hardcore.

I didn't play DF1 until 2 years into the game.  I maxxed out a character in 1 month and never macroed a single thing.  I didn't even use ray scripts.  So shut your mouth kid.

Secondly, I haven't played DF:UW since December when they cancelled the release of the game and switched it to a paid beta.  The game hasn't changed at all since then except the prowess progression system which is nice, but adds no content or fun to the game.

It's funny that you attack me for loving DF1 when it initially was grindy, when literally all the content in DF:UW is "Kill 180 of X" for every mob in the game.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    I didn't play DF1 until 2 years into the game.  I maxxed out a character in 1 month and never macroed a single thing.  I didn't even use ray scripts.  So shut your mouth kid.

Define maxed out.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Don't compair DF1 to DF:UW. Compair DF:UW to all the other mmorpgs you can play right now and you find that DF:UW is really refreshing and finally a real pvp focussed mmorpg.
  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by benseine
    Don't compair DF1 to DF:UW. Compair DF:UW to all the other mmorpgs you can play right now and you find that DF:UW is really refreshing and finally a real pvp focussed mmorpg.

I agree, DF1 is no longer offered yet people keep using DF1 as reference. 

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Dfuw is the best MMO on the market. Not perfect but definitely heading in the right direction.  I look at the other mmos on the market and coming down the pipe and I shake my head.  Oh how the genre has fallen.  If an mmo has an npc marker over there head, instances or some kind of funnelling tactic that prevents me from looking over that mountain range...that is no mmo for me.

I don't agree with this post.

Even if DFUW was heading in the right direction (which I'm not sure it is), the rate of change has a glacier-like slowness.

In my experience, very few MMORPGs change significantly over 2 years (unless maybe it's WoW - but that's what you pay for with each expansion, every subscription, and every online shop purchase etc).

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Even if DFUW was heading in the right direction (which I'm not sure it is), the rate of change has a glacier-like slowness.

In my experience, very few MMORPGs change significantly over 2 years (unless maybe it's WoW - but that's what you pay for with each expansion, every subscription, and every online shop purchase etc).

And I completely disagree with your post.  My point is that Darkfall is already better than the current crop of games out there because of current feature list.  Things like no instances, FFA full loot, ships and sieges.  I also love the payment model.  Sure all this doesn't jive with a lot of other people so it goes without saying that I'm speaking for myself.  The bonus with darkfall is that it is continuously improving.  Granted it is slower than a lot of people would otherwise hope.  So I hope you find your special game because I know I found mine...well at least until World of Darkness comes out.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

And I completely disagree with your post.  My point is that Darkfall is already better than the current crop of games out there because of current feature list.  Things like no instances, FFA full loot, ships and sieges.  I also love the payment model.  Sure all this doesn't jive with a lot of other people so it goes without saying that I'm speaking for myself.  The bonus with darkfall is that it is continuously improving.  Granted it is slower than a lot of people would otherwise hope.  So I hope you find your special game because I know I found mine...well at least until World of Darkness comes out.

Fair enough.

Personally however, I don't expect to be returning to MMORPGs until the Oculus Rift etc. comes out.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Fair enough.

Personally however, I don't expect to be returning to MMORPGs until the Oculus Rift etc. comes out.

I can't wait to get one of those myself.  I almost came off the $300 to get one of the dev kits. 

It's awesome to see people after they have tried it out for the first time.  That look of "Holy Shit" on their face is unmistakable.

~Hairysun

Originally posted by Nizur

Define maxed out.

100 every magic intensify, all spells surging, 100 of knife/GS/pole/bow masteries, 100+ all stats

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Wish more people would see this instead of bashing it and then going back to World of Warcraft.  This game has what WoW will never have.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Define maxed out.

100 every magic intensify, all spells surging, 100 of knife/GS/pole/bow masteries, 100+ all stats

As a  DF1 vet who enjoys DF:UW still, I have to wonder why you spread out lies like that. All that in 1 month? Unless you exploited, macroed, duped or got sponsored finances by a vet, this was simply impossible.

Even if you used one of the few promotional weekends when AV boosted skill gains for 48 hours, I still call your claims bullshit.

But lets ignore what I just said and pretend you're right. You missed more than half of old Darkfall, jumped in an era where everything was easy to grind due to dried out population and increased skill gains, everyone had full banks, even Dragon wasn't really rare anymore. You call that hardcore? lol

----------

Sure there were no safe zones but that hardly changes anything today as they are still nearly non existant for many of us who choose so, except for trading.

Sure there used to be hundred skills that if you had, you could use at any time, which resulted in a clusterfuck of binds. But was that hardcore? Lol no, lots of themeparks has just as much skills and spells, that's hardly a merit of hardcoreness.

The hardcore part was the knowledge and use of scripting (or having friends who gave em to you), which in the right hands made the gameplay about the same as today. Easily big majority of DF1 players in the last 2 years used scripts. Most of those who refused have quit anyway. Or simply played melee/archery left clicking.

It was quite possible to get through with very little scripting, but the fact is, unless you were Mozart on a piano, you were heavily hindered compared to those who used scipts. Why? Because scripts heavily reduced your number of active keybinds.

But once you got yourself a good working script it was quite similar than how it is today in DFUW. Which is quite ironic when I hear those suposed old vets cheering for a non existing game that died for a reason.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

this ^

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Not all players feel the need to collect pixels to feel like they had some fun. You sound like one of those players obsessed with feeling like they "accomplished" something. DF is more about fun.

Basically all you did was slam him without really saying why. The game is more sandboxy than a lot of MMOs out right now, and its not a hand holding themepark for once. Don't we already have enough of those?

You can wait for that "perfect" sandbox if you want, but you will be waiting a loooongg time!

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148

Define maxed out.

lmao, so full of shit.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Define maxed out.

You macro'ed your ass off, gtfo scrub.

Anyone with half a brain knows you didn't grind those out legit.

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Kost

Define maxed out.

You macro'ed your ass off, gtfo scrub.

Anyone with half a brain knows you didn't grind those out legit.

Yeah it was a sad day when the botters took over in DF.  IMO it forever ruined any chances of a skill on use progression system in any game.

It didn't take long before the gap between legit and macro'ers widened so much that the legit players had to choose between getting stomped and actually playing the game or giving in to cheating.  Almost all took the cheating route.

I actually did it legit, after about 3 years I had knives and greatsword near max mastery, archery near maxed with dex being low (god that took forever to legitly level) and magic well below surges and no intensifies maxed, with only a few purchased.

Sad thing was the first game you didn't have a realistic choice to go melee or archery.  Even if you chose destroy (which blocked all major magic use for magic resists) only the top players in top gear stood a chance against mixed magic players in cheap gear (it wasn't worth it other than to prove you were good)

Eventually they put in meditation which helped those with lots of gold get their stats to 100 (but not over with those skills that allowed you to progress past)

I really like the new game for the fact you cant cheat to the top, and of course, now you can actually choose to be melee, archer, or magic primary and succeed.

Its really crazy to see some of these disgruntled elite vets rag on the new games combat considering how aweful the combat in 1.0 was for all but the top end player who cheated, used scripts to overcome the clunky GUI, and often cheated.  Pixel detection was a very common hack used by more than will admit, as well as radar hack...which made sneaking and hiding impossible in 1.0 (people would run up a mile away and go right for you despite being well hidden)

1.0 was a very sad game, with a psychotic playerbase whos now in full torch and pitchfork mode since the new game removes their advantages against normal and new players (thank god)

I stayed in the old game so long because I don't mind losing, made pve more fun and exciting, and the game had endless progression...also my clan was awesome, eventhough most cheated while accusing other clans of doing the same.  Almost none got banned for it either.