Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite aspect of FFXIV ARR so far?

Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59

Based on your experience with Phase 3 of FFXIV ARR, what is your favorite aspect so far?

I'd have to say mine is the job system. It's great being able to level all of the jobs/classes on one character and not having to worry about making an alt character.

Comments

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

All of the features in this game have been done many times before in past games.

So, what really is the reason to play and best "feature" in this game is the setting, it is in the Final Fantasy world. 

So, the classes, enemies, items, MUSIC!!, art, all bring back memories of all the great games in this series and this is another one of them.

If this game was not final fantasy, nobody would play it, it would be another generic mmorpg because the quests, combat, and everything else in it have nothing new about them. Everything in this game is solid, but still I doubt it would keep many players if it was not FF.

But hey this is why this game is so great, it is actually based on a world and series millions of people have loved over the past 20+ years and is solid at everything it does.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Edit:  Let's please all try and keep this on topic as it seems to be a positive thread for those who enjoy gaming.  :)   There are other threads for negative opinions for the game.  :)  Thank you!

I'm enjoying how it ramps up in difficulty and unlocks new system after new system to learn and get acclimated to.

Also how party centric it is when doing story quests, almost like I have my own adventure in a Final Fantasy game with a group of set friends.  Also the exceptional writing that is within it and not held back simply because some do not like to read.

It's really simple at the beginning, but just starts getting more and more complex.  The controller is also a fairly good feature as well and you can tell they spent quite a bit of time on it.

That feeling of accomplishment after each group outing, or even something such as finally being able to get your chocobo and use him as a companion.

The feeling when you level multiple classes and get all the benefits from it... but most of all, I think all of the features combined make it something worth playing.  Who knows how long it will keep one interested, but it definitely is worth the purchase in my opinion (from someone who has made a level 35 from scratch and a level 50 and experienced most of the systems available as you progress in the game).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Mine is also the job system, however I also really like the Armory Chest.

Having 25 spaces per equipment slots and being able to change to any new gear sets with the click of a button (not changing a whole macro around) is a huge convenience.  In most MMO's (geaer swapping allowed or not) 90%+ of my inventory is taken up by equipment.

Oh and best part is I didn't have to pay the cash shop for bag space.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

There is just so much to do and see in this game, and the production quality is just so remarkably AAA in all aspects. I love the controller setup and the fact I was playing this very well put together MMO from my couch on my PS3 Friday morning.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

1.  The Day/Night cycles and changing music as the day goes into night, vice versa. (Ul'dah night music reason enough to buy the game).

2.  The random chat between NPCs is very funny.

3. When in a crowded area with other players, the ambient sounds are like being in a crowded marketplace.  

4. Being able to play on a gamepad, sitting back and lounging on the couch.

5. The combat animations.

6. The emotes, especially the /happy emote on Elezen.

(all of those just off the top of my head).

Originally posted by khameleon

-snip-

If this game was not final fantasy, nobody would play it, it would be another generic mmorpg because the quests, combat, and everything else in it have nothing new about them. Everything in this game is solid, but still I doubt it would keep many players if it was not FF.

But hey this is why this game is so great, it is actually based on a world and series millions of people have loved over the past 20+ years and is solid at everything it does.

That's an interesting assertion and it may have a lot of credible thought behind it.  Though most of the systems have been "Final Fantasized", therefore it would technically be true as the writing, the way the story and villains are presented, a lot of the systems, the world, most of the NPCs and mobs, the music, the team work, materia system, chocobo system and companion system, etc. would simply be taken out or turned into a bland representation of something else if not for the Final Fantasy Feeling.

Even noticeable places such as Costa Del Sol, characters like Cid, and many other things would be taken out.  Guildhests / behests / halmets etc. would likely be a little similar, minus the final fantasy fanfare music, abilities and in some cases NPCs.

I've said it before in that it doesn't hide that it's a Themepark.  But they sure do go overboard (in a good way) to make it a Final Fantasy themed one and really ramp up the difficulty and complexity of systems after about the level 15 main storyline quests.

Though they would likely still have the Armory and the ability to level every class on the same character and use pretty much any ability on any class.  Limit breaks will be out.  Hmm.

Well, it's a thing to ponder on at least.  Though I'm sure many would find it hard to argue that it's Final Fantasy at it's core.  It's pretty much it's very soul.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • WittenWitten Member UncommonPosts: 48

Warning: Potential Spoiler

Having not been able to experience PVP yet, I had my doubts. FFXI PVP was terrible, I didn't have to play it to know. Youtube can justify that.

So yeah, I had my doubts. This not being an action MMO like GW2, and has a slower GCD than RIFT (although it does show semblance of a third-person RIFT-type), I'll say it again, I had my doubts. I even posted several complaints. Then P3 came and they: lowered the GCD (there were several complaints), and unlocked the other classes.

My main is THM, and I autoleveled every other class to 15.  By doing so, opened a wide array of abilities I could choose from to maximize my output. I know now why they went with a 2.5 GCD initially. You better be fast mentally.

So to answer your question, it was the quest before Ifrit, where you had NPCs in your party, and you were battling enemy NPC classes. That was when I saw their vision for PVP and what it would and can look like. Needless to say I will be ready.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    gamepad, limit breaks, job system, crafting, story, ambient sounds and visual effects/graphics, oh and its FINAL FANTASY
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

i'm probably what most people would consider a power gamer / pvper / min-maxer

i sat and read through all the quest text with this game...

:|

Originally posted by evilized

i'm probably what most people would consider a power gamer / pvper / min-maxer

i sat and read through all the quest text with this game...

:|

It's definitely well written, that's for sure.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by Maik36

Based on your experience with Phase 3 of FFXIV ARR, what is your favorite aspect so far?

I'd have to say mine is the job system. It's great being able to level all of the jobs/classes on one character and not having to worry about making an alt character.

I'm a big fan of the job system too. I have never really been a person to play alt characters but being able to level all of the jobs on one character is awesome.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    It has a FF feel to it and it seems like it's very party focused.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

The world, the atmosphere, the setting/story, the dialog, the touches of detail that add flavor and depth to everything... the Armoury system, the sounds, the music (the music!), the Limit Break system, my FreeCompany/Linkshelll...

... and of course, my character, through whom I get to experience it all :D

• WittenWitten Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Ayulin

The world, the atmosphere, the setting/story, the dialog, the touches of detail that add flavor and depth to everything... the Armoury system, the Limit Break system, my FreeCompany/Linkshelll...

My character :D

I just had to comment on Murugan's quote. He's always spitting out the truth.

• Anfere31Anfere31 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    By far the world. Didn't see a world as well done as this one since ages. It's just beautiful and entertaining and amazing. Always mind blown by the world of eorza
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    •  It being a Final Fantasy game
    •  The crafting system
    •  Being P2P
    •  The Stories
    •  Gameplay
    •  The multi class and job system
    •  It's really beautiful

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Witten

The world, the atmosphere, the setting/story, the dialog, the touches of detail that add flavor and depth to everything... the Armoury system, the Limit Break system, my FreeCompany/Linkshelll...

LOL your post has been censored by Ayulin's screenshot (it blocks out your whole post I can only make out something about "murugan's quote".  Anyways I'm sorry if you were writing to say I offended you (I don't hate people just because they play/enjoy F2P games; I just don't like the model and consider it diametrically opposed to what I value in entertainment, and the way people patronize the arts).

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

level syncing, caus ei hate having to try and keep up with my friends who get more game time and somehow level way faster then me even when we get same amount of gaem time in.

I like to stop and smell the roses, check out the scenery, read all the abscure text, stick in a area till I find all the ideen stuff.

in otherwords I like to enjoy my leveling trip not run through it and wonder why there isn't more to do and the goal.

but anyway level syncing is always been important to me in game very few do it and even fewer do it well. ( don't mention GW2 please that was implimeted badly great idea but bad implementation).

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

The ambiance and atmosphere... as a single entity, including but not limited to :

day/night, the way everything lights up at night, torches and windows, taverns, etc...

weather, the way the fog rolls in, the rain storms are perfect, the way your feet splash water when you run through the grass during rainfall, and grass flies from your feet when it's dry. etc...

the ambient sounds of the environments, the chatter of people growing louder as an area gets more congested with players...

the fact that you can actually sit on stumps and logs, chairs and benches, anywhere and everywhere, etc...

so many little details that are very important to me, that complement an already great game and make is truly shine.

/nod

The ambiance and atmosphere...

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    The music, the atmosphere, the stars in the nighttime sky. The rainstorms inside the cities. The fish in the lakes. The other day I saw a geyser. The game does not do much new. Its a collection of ideas we have seen before so for those looking for innovation look elsewhere. Personally i'd take a solid mmo than an innovative one at this point.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Oh and the quest writing ,its very adult without talking down to you.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

The main things it's got going for it so far for me are...

1. Nostalgia.  It feels like a classic MMO.  It feels like an FF game.  The cinematic dialogue and cutscenes even carry over the feel of FFXI.  FFXIV makes me nostalgic for all three of these things.  

2. The job system.  No matter how boring leveling is, or how terrible combat is, there will always be something intriguing and interesting about leveling up various jobs.  FFXIV will give you a ton of account-wide progression goals to pursue from the very beginning that are sure to keep you busy for some time.  

3. The writing.  It's a surprisingly well written game so far.  Sure it's filled with the serious-toned but ultimately light-hearted fantasy cheesiness you might expect from the more free-spirited FF games, but the story put forth works, both within the post-cataclysmic lore of the failed first iteration of the game and from the perspective of an aspiring young adventurer trying to master her chosen class.  It's also entertaining and eloquent.  Unfortunately, it's arguable excessive, especially when one of the main things the game has going for it is the aforementioned job system and all its progression glory.  When all you want to do is pump out that next level, or perhaps unlock access to the next dungeon, an hour long cutscene intermission can become bothersome.  

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by Witten

LOL your post has been censored by Ayulin's screenshot (it blocks out your whole post I can only make out something about "murugan's quote".  Anyways I'm sorry if you were writing to say I offended you (I don't hate people just because they play/enjoy F2P games; I just don't like the model and consider it diametrically opposed to what I value in entertainment, and the way people patronize the arts).

That Marugan.  He's always spitting out the truth.  

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

Man when i got into FF14 1.0 beta I was hyped, but after making my char I was utterly disappointed on what a mess it was. I did not get far nor gave the game a chance. For me square made a huge dung pile and damn did it stink.

Then I heard changes were being done and I took it as well its just square putting a coat of paint on their pile of dung. But as news kept on coming I listened. Considered it a sugar coating caramelized pile of dung that maybe, just maybe the taste of dung will me masked away  with all this "new stuff" I was taking with a grain of salt at first.

But then my interest sparked as more news came in, seeing the commitment but i have seen this before, heard this before.

I applied to beta and got in on the 3rd phase. and gave the game a run just a few days ago (i didnt get into the 1st week of 3rd beta)

Holy shit. Square didnt coat the pile of dung they made, all these changes were true, from the ground up. This was a new game and started judging it by that after making my character. Unlike 1.0 I was sucked in. I was hooked, something that has not happened to me in /months/.

Burnt from wow, gw2 was just not my cup of tea, rift didnt reel me in, swtor...... and many more. some games I didnt pass the tutorial i was just that burnt and thought that was the end for me and mmos.

But something in ff14 brought me in, maybe the nostalgia of playing ff11, or that it really felt like final fantasy, something 1.0 did not.

I can get this game is not for everypony but it is the game for me.  I can see why some might be turned off of it but its aspects that might turn off some are what i find appealing.

The ambience of this game made me remember about ff11. some here already pointed out things i love of the game.

many players together in a fate encounter and it sounds more like you are on the field as you here chatter as one said like in a market place or for me a battlefield. it immerses you hearing the sounds of battle, the music, the spells and all that. No its not a group of orcs grunting n stuff you really need to experience this on your own to get the feel of it. Its a really nice touch.

Playing everything with one character, this was something i really loved from ff11 , and eve online. (games i played that let you do all with one character) Just being able to switch jobs and not having to make alts only equates to more investment into one char which leads to more sentimental value.

The day / night cycle and the feel of the areas of the game. Of what I have experenced so far, which i need to admit was not alot since i only had a few days of play, immersed me to hell and back.

I really liked that each race has their own set of stats and their clans brings even more diversity to that. It was something i did like about ff11 . There is more to it when it comes to jobs but i donno if i can speak about that yet XD.

There is still so much for me to explore on the game. this weekend I plan to give crafting a go.

FF14 did change for the better. It is much more appealing that it once was.  For me, the remake of Ff14, now known as arr. reminded me of my first jump into mmos which was ff11. no other game gave me that feeling, not even wow, which i have played from beta till today. This game is what will pull the plug on wow for me.  Maybe because im burnt on wow, or just that the charm of ff14 lures me more.

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    When they turn the servers back on.