Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

123457»

Comments

• InfinityDInfinityD Member Posts: 33

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Absolutely. In fact, probably too much so. It looked like a mix of KOTOR and WoW that had been brought into a new generation.

Do you currently play this game?:

No.

If yes, please explain why:

N/A

If no, please explain why:

1.) Lack of polish and systems that had already been implemented in other games (namely WoW). A MMO coming out post 2010 should not have sluggish responsiveness or wooden feeling cities that dont move or interact with you. Expanded guild recruitment features and dungeon/raid finders are mandatory.

2.) The illusion of choice didn't really pull me in. 85% of the choices you make in the game are completely irrelevant and often times wont even change what the NPC your talking to says. You are forced to pick between light and dark for the remainder of the choices or you risk missing out on items and other things that you cannot recieve while neutral. I hated feeling cornholed into being a completely light or dark character.

Plenty of other reasons but I feel those two are sufficient enough for this.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

Currently only EVE Online, and only sparingly. I enjoy the sandbox and creating content to enjoy myself.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

The Forum Activity panel on the front page, generally.

• rakattrakatt Member UncommonPosts: 14

No. I was not aware of its existence until December 2012.  A friend talked me into trying it. I am glad he did! 

Yes. I play almost every day.

I love the storyline and such. It sucks you right into it. Even though I am kinda new to MMOs, I like games that tells a good story.  It also has a large replayable value. The choices you make each time can change what happens.  I like being able to play solo or with friends. Sometimes, I want to be own my own.  You aren't "forced" to group up all the time.  I also like the voice acting. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

I am giving Neverwinter a chance. It was suggested by a friend. I also play Anarchy Online.  Recently, I have developed a thing for Sci-fi games.  I am waiting on Wildstar to be released.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I've been a lurker for several weeks.  While searching for new games, I decided to register and join.  The peoplehere seem friendly and helpful while being opinionated!  A debate of sorts can be fun occasionally.

• chevyownerchevyowner Member Posts: 3

No, did not know about it before release.

No.

Game is broken, new charector creation is impossible.

None.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

For me it will likely be infrequent as i am going to uninstall the PoS game, that I can't play.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

• I was slightly interested because it was a new mmorpg.

• No

• I never bought it.

• I'm not invested in any.  I'm trying out Dragon's Prophet, Firefall CB, Age of Wushu, Uncharted Waters Online, and a few others.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

• I do not unless it is a generalized thread within the subforum, i.e. "What should SWTOR do to get more players."

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

Yes I was, partially because of Bioware and Star Wars and the reason of wanting to try something new.

No

/

Stopped before the initial free month ran out due to:

Very bland MMORPG, lifeless world, vast open spaces with no real function. Hardly no worthwhile additional content.

Very linear, they gave up or had no vision the moment it didn't seem like the success they expected it to be.

Gameplay did not feel very fluid/polished. Animations were horrible, character models were boring and mostly the same.

Needed more races especially less humanoid looking, even a hairy wookie would have broken the mold a bit (that's how bad it was).

Guild Wars 2

Less time at this moment, No subcription, Do whatever I want whenever I want (with hardly any restriction). World feels lively. Waiting for the next MMORPG that brings me back a virtual world.

Just noticed it on the front page. And that is when I usually make a post.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?    Yes.  I liked the focus on story.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes.

If yes, please explain why:  I still like the game, but the over-use of instancing has put a damper on my enjoyment  and I don't play it as often as I would with a more open world style MMO.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Star Wars the Old Republic:  Story.  Aion:  Trying the new Songweaver class and it's decent.  Planetside 2:  I play it a couple times per month for about an hour per session, when I'm in the mood for a shooter.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?   I rarely ever visit a subforum.  I primarily pay attention to the 'Current Forum Activity' window on the main page, which seems to feature SWTOR on a regular basis.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Yes, because it's my favorite IP made by Bioware. The combination was perfect.

Yes i do, as a subscriber.

Because SW TOR together with WoW are by far the best theme park MMO's on the market in terms of polish and quality content. Playing casually the game offers me a plethora of things to do and, most important, i'm having fun.

I play DnD Neverwinter.  I'm a big fan of the Forgotten Realms. I approached this game with low expectations but it turned out to be very decent with a beautiful world (okay, maybe too instanced) and a good community. 

I'm not a frequent poster here, not any more. Why? I play MMO's since DAoC and i have never experienced the degree of hatred and spite towards a game like the one displayed on these boards. Even from people who are no more in TOR. I can understand someone disliking a MMO but some individuals here (their names emerge all the time) really need to focus on something more productive.

• SynthanSynthan Member Posts: 4
    I recently began playing SWTOR, and fell in LOVE! I played WoW for a few years but I decided to give SWTOR a chance. The stories are incredibly fun, and entertaining and the PvP is good as well! Although the high amounts of stuns and knockoffs can get VERY frustrating at points. Overall it's a very solid game to me! :D
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Yes, played SWG when it came out and wanted to see how this one plays.

No.

Bcs the Storys became boring after 6 weeks and i never made it beyond 3 months.
    There is no good MMO in it aside of the to soon boring and predictable Storys.

Mechwarrior Online - like the Universe and Combat and hope it will grow up to something big.

I have seen the thread on the mainpage in the current activites window - i would not have looked into the SWTOR-Forum as i have no longer any interest in it.
    The Thread-Title made me curious.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not??

Yes and No. I was interested in this game because it was Star Wars. I was also not interested because I saw game play footage as well as where the game was going before release and knew it was going to fail. If you followed the game from its inception, you saw a general degradation across the board. It just kept getting worse. Then, they delayed things constantly and eventually released a product that wasn't even ready. The whole game smelled of fail.

No.

-------

Where to begin. I could honestly write a 20 page paper describing all the terrible things about this game, so I'm going to just list key features that drove me away from this title.

1. The game felt nothing like SW.

2. The game was generic.

3. The combat did not flow.

4. The game engine created all kinda of problems.

5. The PvP was terrible and generic.

6. There was no endgame.

7. The crafting system was detached and boring.

8. The questlines (The main part bragged about the game), while seemingly good, were shallow and repetitive when rerolling other characters.

9. The Scaling, cities, vehicles, zoning, dungeons, questing, etc, etc, etc, were all wrong when considering where the game design should have gone (Star Wars).

I do not play any MMO's right now.

I would say my posting in this forum is infrequent. I did express my general disgust towards SWTOR in the past, however that was more targeted at my own disappointment, rather than SWTOR the game.

What prompted me to post now? I generally watch the area on the main page of MMORPG.com. That section with the 'most recent forum post'. When I saw this one, I felt that the way you laid out the discussion was interesting and it encouraged my curiosity to read through other peoples ideas. After reading, I figured felt I was invested enough to chime in.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Yes.

Main reason it was Star Wars. Second and most important I was looking forward to the fully voiced quests and story line, and the ability to choose dark or light.

It wasnt overly violent, but when you would choose darkside as either Empire or Rebel they were usually "dark " choices PG 13 for most and some really evil ones - Lord Drowl. I was happy to get away from the overly G and PG MMOs

Yes. As a subscriber and have been since early release.

Its a fun game. I enjoy the story lines and the quests, I enjoy the crafting, I even enjoy watching other peoples choices when were teamed and there is dialog, its like watching a movie.

And I especially enjoy the PvP. Since this game has the trinity even when you pub pop a warzone most people know how to play their class. There are tactics and strategy involved, unlike say GW2 where everyone just mass zerg DPSs.

Hutt Ball being my favorite and most hated at the same time. Its fun when you get a group that actually employs teamwork vs when you get a bunch of dumbasses who think that ganking and the most kills somehow wins the match.

I also enjoy my companion. I enjoy their storylines and for the most part dont mind soloing with them present. And I love their snarky comments. Kaliyo being my absolute favorite, what a bitch, love her.

I have to say this, I enjoy having "lots" of skill choices on the action bars. In some situations Im using one set of offensive abilities and in another I may use a completely different set, or sometimes a combo of them both.

Swtor - see above

Planetside 2 - enjoy a good FPS that takes skill, has large maps, although I really wouldnt call it a MMO in the true sense. But Ive also gotten a little bored with it. Or maybe I should day a little more interested in SWTOR lately.

GW2 - I love the world design in how its large open it is, and rewards you for exploring all the hidden things.

I dislike the combat because it has no trinity and only 4 buttons to push. Those two reason alone- because there is no variety in combat from level 5- 80, I can only take it in small doses about 3-5 hours max a week and then I burnout about level 40ish.

When someone asks for an opinion, no matter what forum, I like to post something.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I was interested in the game before it came out, but was very dissapointed with the direction it took, particularly the storylines and the space part of the game.

Yes, and currently subscribe.

It is very casual friendly, not sure it would suit a hard core player but for the odd 30 mins/ hour it makes for an okay game. and despite the space game not worth bothering with, the storylines do sometimes throw the odd funny moment.

Eve Online which is my 'mainstay' game, for reasons that would take far too long to explain, but i've been playing it since 2004 and while the game still needs work, particularly the WIS part, which would be great for role players and gamblers alike image  being able to do a level 3 security mission in a Rifter just doesnt get old, though some sod infiltrating our corp and stealing a bunch of ships worth billions from our WH Pos.... including my SKIFF...  i'll get you yet Brody!

Planetside 2, its a MMOFPS, about the only one i know of, barring Planetside 1, still too many hackers for my liking, but for the odd half hour or so it can be fun

Waiting for FF XIV;ARR, impatiently of course, but i have the game already and my sub details are registered, just waiting .... amazing how slowly time passes sometimes.

Passion and a sense of humour even the wife doesnt appreciate - they never do you know image

But as her idea of enjoyment is playing online bingo, i can live with that image

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Yes. STAR WARS!!!!!!

No.

Because it's a themepark and therefore doesn't feel like there's any point to anything I do. I want to make unique choices and have natural progression.

None. Until recently I was playing Darkfall but I ended up quitting because the game doesn't have enough sandbox content in it. It's basically just a big pvp game.

I'm not sure I've ever posted here.

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Yes

its starwars :P i like pve and pvp in this game. combat feels great. and the community is great

i jump on my wow account here and there. burned out i think!  why to talk with friends :P

dont know

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Yes because I'm a Star Wars fan and I loved the KOTOR games

No

Poorly handled game, terrible pvp even though I did plenty of it and my entire guild originally from SWG jumped ship from SWTOR to GW2

Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2, Aion, Landmark beta (although I no longer can log in), SWG*emu, Marvel Heroes

Not frequently, but MMORPG's forum is far less toxic than SWTOR's official forum.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by MikeB

very interested because i expected a game familiar to WoW but within the SW world.

No, although some times i log in to see if the model has changed or improved.

I enjoy the game but the current hybrid model killed it completely for me. Its understandable for Free players to have limitations because its a trial, but as a preferred player the limitations are just ridiculous (money cap, no raids,  and gear limitation specifically). I cant support a game that wants to keep me badly limited even if i give them more money than a subscriber. No ty.

1) GW2 because its my favorite mmo. It needs more content (new land to explore and weapons per class, etc) but its IMO the best mmo out there since WoW, overall (gameplay, mechanics, combat, visuals, etc).
    2) Sometimes i sub to WoW because and only because Warcraft is my favorite fantasy lore in games.
    3) Sometimes i play a bit of The Secret World because it has a really good and appealing setting and investigation quests are sweet.
    4) Sometimes i log in to ArcheAge Russian server because aside from the boring generic questing the rest of the game is pretty good.
    5) Like i said before, I sometimes log in to Swtor hoping the preferred model is fixed, do a few quests then log out for like another month.
    6) Im playing also some Wildstar until the free month ends.

If i post anything about Swtor its most likely related to the hybrid model. I want a model that is more fair to preferred players because we also pay money to support the game but our limitations not only are awful, they stay there. Rendering our money wasted. Which is why i dont bother with it at all and just hope for a better management to come along.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

I was interested, because it was 1st mmorpg from Bioware(now known as EAWare) and Bioware was my 2nd favorite game developer right after Blizzard. 

Yes

I have made some nice friends in this game and i want to continue playing with them.

N/A

Rift, SWTOR, WoW sometimes when my friend takes break and allow me to play in her account.

i play Rift as an experiment, i wanna see how far a truly free AAA mmorpg can go; so far they are not doing bad; acceptable in many ways.

SWTOR, well it is f2p(sort of) and Bioware's mmorpg. currently i am sub and i became sub because i have made some very nice friends in this game and i wanna continue playing with them without hampering their gameplay with my f2p restrictions.

As for wow there is nothing much to tell; IT IS WOW!!! 

I try to reply to false info, zealotry, hatred. i have no love for those and when i see them i just reply to them

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    No...not currently.  As a game locust my interest waxes and wanes.  So currently i dont play SWTOR...but that has no bearing on if I might play some tommorrow..or next week etc etc

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Stiles223Stiles223 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Yes! Star Wars!

No.

n/a

At level cap it was boring. I left before the cash shop came and cash shop keeps me from going back along with potential lack of content (I don't know if it lacks content today but I am hesitant to try).

Not playing any at the moment...but I am looking.

It came up on the "recent postings".

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

If you are going to participate, please remember to answer all questions.

Why do you need this to be public?  Make a private version of this.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

*derp*  - I had already replied back in January.  sorry.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• ThasriThasri Member UncommonPosts: 90

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, I'm a Star Wars fan and an MMO fan.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes. Subscriber.

If yes, please explain why: Even though the game was not what I was expecting I took it for what it was and have learned to enjoy it. But, if some other developer out there decides to make another Star Wars IP game I'll check it out also.

If no, please explain why: :P

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: I'm only playing SWTOR at the moment. See above.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I usually don't post in forms.

• montgomerymontgomery Member Posts: 1
    but just because he didn??t make that jump doesn??t mean he??s not smart. the view is of forested crags: on screen, who was born in India though she has lived in England since she was five.99 and has apologised. It works by promising the Government will foot some of the banks?? bills if borrowers fall behind on payments.They found that a protein known to be a marker of inflammation was up to a third higher in the brains of depressed patients compared to healthy ones. 32 per cent higher in the anterior cingulate cortex and 33 per cent higher in the insula area of the brain. three plus one,"It's a good challenge. In initial trials.
    Montgomery
    [url=http://www.kohinoorfoods.co.uk/cheapcurtainszt02.asp?montgomery]Montgomery[/url]