Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm tired of theme parks. Am I wrong for not giving ARR a chance?

Comments

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

Way too much hand holding imo!

Quests you pick up and mobs are already tagged for you with ICONS over there heads!

Ah, another game for the "i dont get it" folx, eh ?

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Mannish
    I would say try the game and see for your self because all theme parks don't feel the same.

Agreed.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I wouldn't say you're wrong for not giving it a chance.

Though it would be a shame, as you could in fact be missing out on something you really end up enjoying.

If you manage to get a beta key or into the Open Beta, then I'd say at least play it until you unlock the Air Ship pass and seen the four villains (you'll know when you get there).  By then you will see the true soul of the game.

It's a game that pretty much perfects the Theme Park experience in a lot of ways; the initial 1-10 might be a little rough to get through, but it really begins to open up once you unlock the Armory and progress in the multiple storylines.

Also, it's a game that pretty much requires team work starting from level 15 up; you are still able to get to 50 solo if you really want to, but it's much more efficient with a group (especially on your second and third classes).

It's a game that requires a lot of hard work and dedication.  But boy do you feel accomplished by the time when you even do something as simple as unlock the Chocobo systems.  It also pretty much takes you off the rails once you're done with questing, and expects you to do stuff for yourself without it having to hold your hand (which goes back to the point of Team Work and dedication to max out all your classes).

Though lastly, it's important to note that it's a Final Fantasy game at it's core.  That means a lot of reading and (again) Team Work.  They game constantly releases new systems every give levels or so, and new classes will be implemented in patches down the road (as well as new features they work on).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by rawfox

Way too much hand holding imo!

Quests you pick up and mobs are already tagged for you with ICONS over there heads!

Ah, another game for the "i dont get it" folx, eh ?

It so much worst, i can't even wrap my head around!

It makes me feel like a fucking dumbass!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • xausxaus Member Posts: 34

"I'm tired of theme parks. Am I wrong for not giving ARR a chance?"

Try Alton Towers Theme Park, as for the rest I don't give a shit if you do or don't play FFXIV.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by DMKano

BC - you'd hate it, knowing how much you like AoWs style of play I don't see any of those qualities in ARR. None.

Just my opinion.

image If the character customization is really good, I might be able to get my competitive jones off that way.

its not the best, still feels very limited compared to other MMOs with this feature.!

I'd say a handful of MMOs have more customization options than ARR. TERA, Aion and MMOs in that vein do. Compared to most others, though, ARR is pretty damn open now. They've increased the options substantially over 1.0.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I'm in the same camp as BC, while this looks like a well made MMORPG, it still seems to be just "a better (or different)" theme-park and I am most definitely burned out on that design right now.

For now I'm going to take a wait and see attitude, perhaps my burn-out will one day pass and I'll give this title a serious look at that time.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376

Every time I see a video, It looks so damn good, i try to dismiss my issues. 

Am I wrong for just dismissing this mmorpg? Yes, I know I can try for myself, but I'm so burnt out on the traditional themepark style,  I don't even want to compromise my pc performance while downloading one in the background. 

Yes, I know there will be a hand full of haters who respond. I've been around these boards long enough to spot one, don't worry about them. Can you tell me, "BC, you're missing a real gem"?

Thank you for your time.

The short answer here is NO, you are not wrong for just dismissing this mmorpg. I have said before these are just games, you feel as if you want to try something different do so.  Don't simply play a game because a few people tell you to do so, There is nothing wrong with themeparks, or so called open world games, PvE or PvP, play what you to want to play.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Wylf

The short answer here is NO, you are not wrong for just dismissing this mmorpg. I have said before these are just games, you feel as if you want to try something different do so.  Don't simply play a game because a few people tell you to do so, There is nothing wrong with themeparks, or so called open world games, PvE or PvP, play what you to want to play.

This really is the sanest, most reasonable answer.

If you've had your fill of a certain playstyle, then take some time away from it and pursue other options. Can always come back to it later when it's out of your system, and perhaps get a fresh perspective on it.

When people tire of any kind of activity, they'll take a break from it. MMOs are no different. If "themepark" style MMOs are long in the tooth for ya, then just take a break from them.

ARR will be there if/when you decide to give it a shot.

Just play what you enjoy and enjoy what you play. That's all that matters.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Every time I see a video, It looks so damn good, i try to dismiss my issues. 

Am I wrong for just dismissing this mmorpg? Yes, I know I can try for myself, but I'm so burnt out on the traditional themepark style,  I don't even want to compromise my pc performance while downloading one in the background. 

Yes, I know there will be a hand full of haters who respond. I've been around these boards long enough to spot one, don't worry about them. Can you tell me, "BC, you're missing a real gem"?

Thank you for your time.

You're asking two different questions which require two very different answers.  The only possible answer to the first question, are you wrong for dismissing the game if you're done with themeparks, is, if FFXIV is a themepark, no.  How could you be wrong?  If FFXIV is a themepark, and you don't want to play a themepark, then you won't want to play FFXIV.  It's really pretty simple.  So simple that the question just seems odd.

Then the second question, will you be missing a real gem, can only really be answered a few months after release.  We only have access to the very beginning of the game right now, a portion that *should* comprise less than 10% of the eventual game.  That portion could be fantastic and lead to a pretty bad game (Age of Conan) or be awful and lead to a pretty good game (FFXI).  I'd say that anyone who thinks FFARR is phenomenal or anyone who thinks FFXIV is garbage are both making absurd statements before they have anywhere near enough information to justify them.  

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

Do what you want to do. 

In my opionion, you should give it a try. Some of it may be restrictive to you, as the Main Story Missions are required to unlock fundamental game systems like the Airship, Retainers and Choobos. 

BUT the story is wonderful, and truly Final Fantasy. If people can't be bothered to get invested in the story, might as well stay away (imo).

Also, the game has so many options. If you don't like doing quests, don't do them. There are FATEs, Guildleves (once you unlock them at level 10), Hunting Logs (you unlock at level 5, and each class has their own logs), Guildhest (like leves but for group content also at level 10), and Dungeons (though You do have to unlock each of them from Main Story Quests)

At level 15 you unlock the Airship Pass, and from that point can literally just go wherever and do whatever. 

Crafting *isnt* the standard click and craft. It's pretty deep, (easy at first of course but gets more complicated).

The biggest thing to understand is that the game is designed to be easy at first for people who have never played an MMO, so anyone who is experienced might find it dull or too easy. But rest assured the difficulty does increase, and party play does become required to advance. 

Open Beta is free, what do you have to lose.

That being said, do what you want to do. 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    this game will still be here in 5-10 yrs Sqr E are good at keeping games going. plenty of time for you to enjoy it again.
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

What is it that makes people cling to genres and games they don't enjoy?

Why must every single new MMORPG forum be filled with people like this?

You are so wrong for not giving a themepark MMO a chance when you are tired of them. I can't believe you would do this.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    When have we become so jaded that a new game cannot even peak an interest in us. That is sad really .The day I no longer perk my ears and open my  eyes and try to grab a slot for beta on a Final Fantasy game I mean come on its Final Fantasy and I simply love FF is the day I might as well stop playing MMORPGs altogether.

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I feel the same way but will still be playing it with friends just because it is Final Fantasy. I foresee Black Desert or ArcheAge pulling me away though. Both look like promising sandboxes.
  • SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    [mod edit]

If it is anything like FFXI in later levels, then I have no idea how in the world you could be right.

I played 1.0 and did not hate it, but did not like it enough to keep playing.

I honestly say if you have $39.99 to spend on a game, then go for it. It is a Final Fantasy title and they are trying to "redeem" themselves for the first botch up, it is Square Enix, if you are like me if anyone has earned a second chance its them for providing years and years of entertainment to be TV screen.

Also, like a lot of people said if you are just this burned out of Theme-parks then don't try it, a "gem" is all opinion not fact for everyone.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Serenes
    [mod edit]

If it is anything like FFXI in later levels, then I have no idea how in the world you could be right.

I honestly say if you have $39.99 to spend on a game, then go for it. It is a Final Fantasy title and they are trying to "redeem" themselves for the first botch up, it is Square Enix, if you are like me if anyone has earned a second chance its them for providing years and years of entertainment to be TV screen.

Also, like a lot of people said if you are just this burned out of Theme-parks then don't try it, a "gem" is all opinion not fact for everyone.

I'm only level 10 but I don't see the game changing to be anything like FFXI at later levels. I wish the servers were up now so I could play. Even though I hate the game. :( fml

• separateunionseparateunion Member Posts: 29
    [mod edit]

I'm only level 10 but I don't see the game changing to be anything like FFXI at later levels. I wish the servers were up now so I could play. Even though I hate the game. :( fml

Is this...sarcasm? I can't really tell.

If it's not, I'm confused. How can you foresee what the game has to offer at even level 20, much less 50, if you are currently level 10? That's like saying, "I watched the first five minutes of a horror movie, and it wasn't scary, so I can't see the rest of the movie being scary."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I like the game,it gives me a lot to do and has several systems.However if you don't like doing all the content then yes you will get bored because there is a never ending system based on Leves.

However like any game if you can get a group together to hangout with,it opens up both leves and behests.Then you can hit up all the Fate systems that pop up everywhere similar to Rifts.

The game is really to big to explain all the pros and cons in less than several paragraphs.It basically its a super streamlined FFXI and in many cases not done as well.

What Yoshi did was use his personal preferences from other games and try to incorporate them into FFXIV.There are systems to warp and teleport around.There are VERY few Bosses meaning you won't go out and see Notorious monsters pop up.

to just sum it up the game keeps you busy ,allows you to change class at any time,lots of crafting ,typical of FF games in that currency will be tough to come by.Pretty simple game to play a bit over whelming to learn the surroundings large cities with multi levels.The Game does look great,i found it hilarious that a couple people in game kept nit picking stupid things,it was apparent they were trying to hate the game.I know where the game falls badly short but the in game complaints were none of them.

My personal feeling is the game will be good for a lot of people but if looking for game breaking ideas,they are not in the game yet,however the game is far away from being complete,even at launch it won't be where Yoshi wants it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by separateunion
    [mod edit]

If it's not, I'm confused. How can you foresee what the game has to offer at even level 20, much less 50, if you are currently level 10? That's like saying, "I watched the first five minutes of a horror movies, and it wasn't scary, so I can't see the rest of the movie being scary."

I played alpha to max level. I also have pmed lots of high level characters in the beta and talked to them.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I like the game,it gives me a lot to do and has several systems.However if you don't like doing all the content then yes you will get bored because there is a never ending system based on Leves.

However like any game if you can get a group together to hangout with,it opens up both leves and behests.Then you can hit up all the Fate systems that pop up everywhere similar to Rifts.

The game is really to big to explain all the pros and cons in less than several paragraphs.It basically its a super streamlined FFXI and in many cases not done as well.

What Yoshi did was use his personal preferences from other games and try to incorporate them into FFXIV.There are systems to warp and teleport around.There are VERY few Bosses meaning you won't go out and see Notorious monsters pop up.

to just sum it up the game keeps you busy ,allows you to change class at any time,lots of crafting ,typical of FF games in that currency will be tough to come by.Pretty simple game to play a bit over whelming to learn the surroundings large cities with multi levels.The Game does look great,i found it hilarious that a couple people in game kept nit picking stupid things,it was apparent they were trying to hate the game.I know where the game falls badly short but the in game complaints were none of them.

My personal feeling is the game will be good for a lot of people but if looking for game breaking ideas,they are not in the game yet,however the game is far away from being complete,even at launch it won't be where Yoshi wants it.

This is pretty much the same thing I'm saying. "There is a never ending system on Leves." "Super streamlined."

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    If you're in to wildly mediocre themeparks then you might like it, otherwise it'll just be a waste of time, money and effort.
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    ARR is like the ultimate kiddy themepark. The rides and hand holding NEVER stops.

If it's not, I'm confused. How can you foresee what the game has to offer at even level 20, much less 50, if you are currently level 10? That's like saying, "I watched the first five minutes of a horror movies, and it wasn't scary, so I can't see the rest of the movie being scary."

I played alpha to max level. I also have pmed lots of high level characters in the beta and talked to them.

I though the high level stuff wasnt available in either alpha or beta.

• WittenWitten Member UncommonPosts: 48

You can die anytime, but you probably won't really start wiping until level 20. And that's with "new" teammates.

I'm not gonna try to dazzle you because I'm not selling. But let's not slant the game here, it's a good product, it really is.

Edit: I haven't ran one Leve, it's just one option amongst the oh so many other options for leveling, gearing, gilearning, w/e.

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by austriacus
    ARR is like the ultimate kiddy themepark. The rides and hand holding NEVER stops.

I though the high level stuff wasnt available in either alpha or beta.

That's correct.    Both Alpha and Beta had a level restriction. Beta only has content to level 35 and i belive Alpha had a lower level restriction.