Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Players - WEATHER & Day/Night Cycle -tell us about it

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
Two must have features in any MMO to me is a Day Night cycle and weather in zones, Dynamically generated weather is always a bonus. So what does AAR have ?
  • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Comments

• PolvoronPolvoron Member Posts: 2

There is a day-night cycle, but it's shorter than the real one. 

For weather: http://xivdb.com/?weather

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Originally posted by Polvoron

Awesome , is the weather dynamically spawned like WOW ? Or is it fixed to zones like Tera ? 

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• SkaioverrideSkaioverride Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by thunderC

Awesome , is the weather dynamically spawned like WOW ? Or is it fixed to zones like Tera ? 

its dynamic, sometimes its sunny or raining or just cloudy, still don't know if it snows as I'v mostly played in Ul'dah which is a desert area. and the clear starry skies at night look awesome.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I could've sworn that I saw clouds just roll into the area at some point.  Though there will be cloudy days, rainy days, etc.  In 1.0 there were sandstorms, but I don't recall seeing that in ARR yet.  It's pretty much randomly generated, though they talked about implementing some type of weather report NPC in the game in the future.  One that can tell you the forecast days in advance if you wanted.  There might also be a bit of foggy weather as well, as I remember not being able to see as far as in clear weather at times (it was also in 1.0 so I'm sure there will be if not).

The Eorzea time is roughly one minute for every three seconds (I didn't pay much attention aside from casually glancing at how fast it went).  So day and night cycles last a fair amount of time.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SkaioverrideSkaioverride Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I could've sworn that I saw clouds just roll into the area at some point.  Though there will be cloudy days, rainy days, etc.  In 1.0 there were sandstorms, but I don't recall seeing that in ARR yet.  It's pretty much randomly generated, though they talked about implementing some type of weather report NPC in the game in the future.  One that can tell you the forecast days in advance if you wanted.  There might also be a bit of foggy weather as well, as I remember not being able to see as far as in clear weather at times (it was also in 1.0 so I'm sure there will be if not).

The Eorzea time is roughly one minute for every three seconds (I didn't pay much attention aside from casually glancing at how fast it went).  So day and night cycles last a fair amount of time.

now that you mention it i do recall seeing screenshots of a town being engulfed by a sand storm, so i think theres still a lot more weather patterns to be implemented in game.

and a 24 hour cycle is 70 min real time, its all here http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Time , tho this is based on FFXIV1.0 and i dont know how similar it will be to ARR but it uses the same timescales 

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Weather and day/night cycles are two VERY important things to me as well. This game nails both as far as I am concerned. I am very happy with both here. Also, the ability to sit on furniture, all furniture... including tree stumps around campfires, benches in the wilderness, seats in taverns, etc... it's all there :)

• rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117
    I wish the time & elements played a greater role in the game as they did in FFXI. I am very excited to see that the day night cycle is back along with the realistic weather patterns... now do something with them Square! 
  • ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

I got into the beta test this weekend and well. Yes there is a night and day cycle, similar to final fantasy 11 and not like wow. so for a while it will be day, then night and so forth.  Cities light up during the night and all that and well things are still being implemented. So what we are seeing now is not final. There is even word that after launch things will be improved on.

The same goes for the weather. For now it is basic. It rains randomly and all that. But its also a work in progress. Once again what we are getting for weather for now is not final and for the next beta phase and onwards it will be improved on. Think like how wow had no weather at all when it came out then the system was added later, then improved on.

The Night and day cycle will also affect what you might be fighting. so  nocturnal creatures might come out n all.

One thing they are doing is trying to keep the engine (and seeing the notes which they really repeat this aloooooot) as open to as many pc builds as possible. They are avoiding anything that can demand to push the lower requirements to a higher standard that could push people from playing the game because of it. But that does not mean they are not stopping from improving.

What we are seeing visually right now is not final. There are plans to support direct x 11 and support higher resolutions in windowed mode and textures. So i guess we will have to wait n see. So far I am impressed with the day / night cycle and that I can experience it in its entirety and not based on what time i play (like wows time cycle)

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by rhavok
    I wish the time & elements played a greater role in the game as they did in FFXI. I am very excited to see that the day night cycle is back along with the realistic weather patterns... now do something with them Square! 
    Unfortunately, those go into MMOs with virtual worlds. Not many of those made anymore.

Thanks for the responses, though. This is sounds great :)

(I have not been following this game much, but will look into it more, now.)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Unfortunately, those go into MMOs with virtual worlds. Not many of those made anymore.

Thanks for the responses, though. This is sounds great :)

(I have not been following this game much, but will look into it more, now.)

You are correct, and lol for some reason this made me think "What if it was really like real life, how would weather and time truly affect our characters?"

The first thing that came to my mind was my character standing on his virtual lawn frustrated because he needed to mow the lawn, except it was getting dark, and the grass was still wet from the recent rain storm.  

"I will just get one those Aldgoats near Camp Drybone to keep the grass trimmed before the neighborhood HOA gets on my back"

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

The only effects confirmed for weather are on fishing outcomes.  Though I imagine there will be special weather based mob spawns since there was in 1.0.

I'm still waiting to see summoned primals (not summoners, but captured roaming primals) drastically change the weather of zones when summoned in PvP or other content.

I'll be honest though I can do without a boatload of quests requiring me to wait at a certain hour, weather affecting elemental resistances, and other negative affects on gameplay however minute.  I know you like them for immersion sake, but playing an MMO for years (like I tend to, rather than quitting in a month to game hop to the next FotM game) these things become more cumbersome than "enchanting".

I do wonder how weather, time, etc. will play a role in chocobo breeding and gardening with the housing system.  I hope I can set my retainer to perform certain tasks on a schedule/based on criteria if that is the case.

• kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130

Man the day/night cycle is AMAZING !!!  Like if you go inside a Tavern its darker on the inside and all the tables have little lamps that actually glow. Attention to detail....Amazing amazing amazing.

Its funny recent MMO's have really forgotten how important atmoshpere is in these games...FF14 knocks it out of the park.

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by thunderC

Its fully dynamic and same weather in the zone affects weather in dungeons and guildhests in the same zone.

Weather even changes in dungeons.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

It's random and day/night is done in a very unique way. The area around you is dimmed and everything further away is really dark.

You can see some examples on my screenshot collection (200+) just click on the banner in my signature.

Cheers

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• macarter0327macarter0327 Member Posts: 23
    The rain in Ul'dah was a really great touch, I love the environment in FF:ARR
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by kaz350

Man the day/night cycle is AMAZING !!!  Like if you go inside a Tavern its darker on the inside and all the tables have little lamps that actually glow. Attention to detail....Amazing amazing amazing.

Its funny recent MMO's have really forgotten how important atmoshpere is in these games...FF14 knocks it out of the park.

You are so right. There is an enormous amount of attention to detail in this games's ambiance and atmosphere. 

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    They did a good job on the weather and day/night cycles. Granted I haven't seen most of what it offers other than rain at the moment, but from what I saw it's pretty good. Should be standard in MMO's.