Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm tired of theme parks. Am I wrong for not giving ARR a chance?

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Every time I see a video, It looks so damn good, i try to dismiss my issues. 

Am I wrong for just dismissing this mmorpg? Yes, I know I can try for myself, but I'm so burnt out on the traditional themepark style,  I don't even want to compromise my pc performance while downloading one in the background. 

Yes, I know there will be a hand full of haters who respond. I've been around these boards long enough to spot one, don't worry about them. Can you tell me, "BC, you're missing a real gem"?

Thank you for your time.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by bcbully

Am I wrong for just dismissing this mmorpg? .

Not if you are tired of themeparks.

Sure, like you said, you might miss a gem, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Well to me if you look at the list of features that makes up the game and still the only thing attracting you is the look of it then no you're not wrong for dismissing it. Even if people tell you how great it is to them if you're tired of themepark you're tired of themepark. I'm still undecided myself if I'm going to give it a go.
  • terroniterroni Member Posts: 935
    Seems to me you'd hate it due to lack of PvP. The original had really great crafting and nice character customization. I haven't played the reboot, but I believe those two aspects remain.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by terroni
    Seems to me you'd hate it due to lack of PvP. The original had really great crafting and nice character customization. I haven't played the reboot, but I believe those two aspects remain.

When I played WoW, I prided myself on be good at the game, not just pvp, or pve. In fact, I was probably better at pve than pvp. I was world ranking on pve end. Aren't there battle grounds and dueling in ARR though?

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Way too much hand holding imo!

Quests you pick up and mobs are already tagged for you with ICONS over there heads!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • ValirekValirek Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by terroni

Actually FFXIV: ARR does have PVP this time around, it just hasn't been added in the beta yet, but if I remember correctly, will be added for release.

However, to the OP's question, I have played the beta and can only give you my impressions of it, hopefully it helps. In my opinion, what makes FFXIV a "gem" isn't necessarily its mechanics or combat or anything. What FFXIV does well is that it feels like you are living in an actual world. The world feels more alive than any other MMO I have ever played. Its other strength is in story, as you may have heard, the story is great and if you are a player who plays games for stories, I would highly recommend this one. 

To sum it all up, if you are the type of player that levels quickly through an MMO just for the sake of leveling or to get to max level, this isn't the game for you. FFXIV becomes an amazing game when you take your time and actually become part of the world and story. I personally am loving it, and yes it is a basic quest system, but so far the story and the overall design of the game has kept me interested. I would definitely recommend trying it, to me it really is an MMO "gem".

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by DMKano

BC - you'd hate it, knowing how much you like AoWs style of play I don't see any of those qualities in ARR. None.

Just my opinion.

image If the character customization is really good, I might be able to get my competitive jones off that way.

BC - you'd hate it, knowing how much you like AoWs style of play I don't see any of those qualities in ARR. None.

Just my opinion.

image If the character customization is really good, I might be able to get my competitive jones off that way.

its not the best, still feels very limited compared to other MMOs with this feature.!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

there is more freedom in ARR than in your run of the mill themepark but there's no really "open ended" play a la eve or wushu.

it's somewhere in between as was the original FF online.

i would certainly say it has a lot of depth and if you are a fan of FF games it's worth trying.  i wouldnt have said that about pre-reborn ff14.  I am enjoying it quite a bit and i'm not too much of a themepark fan (see my games playing)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

OP -- If you're purely talking about a quest system, method of leveling, character development, or what end-game activities you choose to participate in, you probably won't find much new in FFXIV. What I enjoy (so far) is the combination of game elements and how they are put together. It's difficult to sum up in one post.

However, if you're a Final Fantasy fan (or just a fan of FFXI) there is much to like in FFXIV. As a poster above stated, char customization and crafting (classes) are pretty deep. Many of my old complaints about the original game have been addressed head-on: a much improved UI design, slightly faster combat, and ability to solo at higher levels. SE accomplished this while keeping many of FFXI's ideals in-tact -- bonuses for groups, open-world bosses, etc.

For this long-time themepark player, there isn't much I haven't seen in one form or another. Final Fantasy happens to be in a beautiful world with a fantastic engine, and in a universe I've enjoyed since early FF.

• ValirekValirek Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

Just my opinion.

its not the best, still feels very limited compared to other MMOs with this feature.!

Yeah I would have to agree lol, customization is not that great. However it is better than AoW in my opinion ;)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Am I wrong for just dismissing this mmorpg? .

Not if you are tired of themeparks.

Sure, like you said, you might miss a gem, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I don't know if it is a gem but if people are tired of themeparks they will get bored of FFXIV with in days.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

Am I wrong for just dismissing this mmorpg? Yes, I know I can try for myself, but I'm so burnt out on the traditional themepark style,  I don't even want to compromise my pc performance while downloading one in the background. 

Yes, I know there will be a hand full of haters who respond. I've been around these boards long enough to spot one, don't worry about them. Can you tell me, "BC, you're missing a real gem"?

Thank you for your time.

I'm in the same boat, I am so fucking tired of themeparks. I'll be skipping Wildstar and this.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

It isn't a hardcore themepark like say Neverwinter or The Secret World where you feel like the maps are generic and small with little to do other than a handful of quests.

The maps are larger and the F.A.T.E. system is modeled after the system in Rift to make player interaction happen more often as one can spring up right in front of your face, lol.

I wouldn't say you are wrong for not wanting to try it, but I would say you are wrong for tagging as just another themepark game cause it has alot more atmosphere and player interaction than the standard themepark where you feel almost completely alone even when you do find people.

Originally posted by Iadien

Thank you for your time.

I'm in the same boat, I am so fucking tired of themeparks. I'll be skipping Wildstar and this.

The bar was set very high in terms of railed.

Apparently it's too hard to explore and look for mobs or NPC.

Even Anet gave in and marked locations on the map where events were happening.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

I agree with the majority of responses you've received.

I say skip it or try the open beta at most. This game will not cure burn-out.

Originally posted by Braindome

It isn't a hardcore themepark like say Neverwinter or The Secret World where you feel like the maps are generic and small with little to do other than a handful of quests.

The maps are larger and the F.A.T.E. system is modeled after the system in Rift to make player interaction happen more often as one can spring up right in front of your face, lol.

I wouldn't say you are wrong for not wanting to try it, but I would say you are wrong for tagging as just another themepark game cause it has alot more atmosphere and player interaction than the standard themepark where you feel almost completely alone even when you do find people.

Lol!

How is Nevewinter hardcore?

• wblastynwblastyn Member Posts: 13
    You're not wrong, I got bored after 5 minutes. Same old boring quests we've seen since WoW.
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Thank you for your time.

It is the first game I've played where I didn't have to get used to it. I didn't even have to look at the key-mapping. I know this game because I've played themeparks before.

But you are right. It does look great. I would have played it if I could get past the fact that the NPCs are babies. You don't want to find yourself fighting a dragon by yourself because the tank and the mage in your group are crying because their binky fell out.

Lol!

Lol, I wasn't saying Neverwinter is hardcore "by any means". I was saying it is a hardcore "themepark", lol. Big difference.

If you want true hardcore go play Firefall cause that game is coming along awesomely and is one of my favorite MMO's out atm. I love the challenge and the structure, reminds me of games I played as a kid in the NES days it is really magically what they are doing, since we started talking hardcore had to mention it. :p

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Lol!

I think he meant "Hardcore" in the sense of HARDCORE THEMEPARK like he said. He was talking about the overall design of zones and how exploration really does not exist in that game because the maps are so small and linear.  

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Lol!

Lol, I wasn't saying Neverwinter is hardcore "by any means". I was saying it is a hardcore "themepark", lol. Big difference.

If you want true hardcore go play Firefall cause that game is coming along awesomely and is one of my favorite MMO's out atm. I love the challenge and the structure, reminds me of games I played as a kid in the NES days it is really magically what they are doing, since we started talking hardcore had to mention it. :p

I enjoyed Firefall for like a week. lol! Greet concept not for me.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

I was playing for good amount over the past 2 days and I'm pretty much on the verge of stopping playing themeparks myself, the last real good themepark I've played (and still play) is GW2.

All I can say really is that FFXIV is pretty much the generic Final Fantasy game in MMO outfit. That is, take FF core, add crafting and remove team battles from your control. Also add monthly fees.

Character creation was rather lackluster but enough for someone who just wants to make pretty or stylish characters.

I didnt get my hands on crafting yet, but I'd assume its the standard gather, mix and combine schema that's all too familiar from every MMO before it.

I can safely say that unless you enjoyed previous Final Fantasy games and are a fan to the title, you can safely skip it.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I would say try the game and see for your self because all theme parks don't feel the same.

Lol!

I enjoyed Firefall for like a week. lol! Greet concept not for me.

If you haven't tried it within the last 2 months you should, they have changed alot, much more mission structure, changes to Frame leveling, graphics and many other things, it is alot better than it was a couple months ago. The main thing is how much better the mission structure is coming along.

Didn't mean to derail thread, maybe we should get back on topic...