Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Can you explain classes and jobs?

RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member

I'm reading on the website about classes such as:

Disciples of War  ect

But then I see jobs and it lists bard, summoner, ect....

How do these two things connect?

Comments

• free2playfree2play Toronto, ONPosts: 1,869Member Uncommon

Jobs are class specific unlocks.

At 15 and 30 you do a quest in each class and it unlocks the Job connected to that class.

Pugilist to Monk, Conjurer to White Mage, Gladiator to Paladin. They add actions (specials) They level in tandem and just make you a little stronger.

• RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member
    Which class is bard and is barda buffing class with songs? Can they do damage too?
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,544Member Uncommon

You level your classes and eventually unlock "Job Crystals" in the same way you did in the early Final Fantasy games.  When equipped, these Job Crystals turn you into a powerful group version of that class.  I say group version as they will specialize in being in groups and helping a group achieve their ultimate goal with unique abilities not available elsewhere.  Though the downside is that they are limited in partaking in the Armory System.

Some use classes to solo, and Advanced Jobs while in groups for these reasons (as they were intended by the developers).

You are able to use either at any time once you unlock them, and when one gets experience, the other shares in it.

When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

Originally posted by Raserei
    Which class is bard and is barda buffing class with songs? Can they do damage too?

Archer is the starting class that will lead into Bard.

The Archer will be able to do a lot of damage, but the Bard sacrifices damage for group utility I.E. songs.  For instance, they have a song that reduces their damage output by 20% but vastly increases the Mana Point regeneration of all their allies.  This will make it so the group will be able to do more damage as a whole.

They are classified as a support job.

When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

• RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member

So can I level up all classes and jobs? Any restrictions?

What about crafting? Can I level all?

• drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,253Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Raserei

So can I level up all classes and jobs? Any restrictions?

What about crafting? Can I level all?

In one word Yes.

Though it should be noted that to do so will require a lot of hard work and time.

The game's pretty generous in giving you easy experience for your first class, but to efficiently get experience thereafter you will likely have to find a group of friends to play with to take on group content or partake in group FATES.

There was a comment I smiled at earlier whereby someone mentioned that people always hate being put on wheels, but they they're taken off all they do is complain.  Leveling all those classes is very much being taken off the wheels as you have to rely on yourself to figure out how to level them efficiently and get along with other people.

• TokkenTokken Portland, ORPosts: 1,154Member Uncommon

As an archer.. I reach my job of Bard and embrace the role... does that mean I can't solo anymore after lvl 30 and I am only good for grouping??

Brad McQuaid Quote:  So, God-willing, the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team and I will be able to make or allow that magic to happen a third time, and it too will be not just a great game, but also that catalyst again that brings people together, sometimes out of their comfort zone, learning how to work together not just tactically in a virtual world but also socially in the real world.

You are able to switch to whatever role you want at any given time (once you unlock the armory system and leveled those classes).  You only switch to Advanced Jobs when you equip the Soul Crystal pertaining to that job.

The soul crystal is similar to back in the first Final Fantasies.  When you found / were given / unlocked it then you could change your job.  The soul crystal itself has no stats, and it fits into an equipment slot on your character sheet.  When wearing it, you will essentially be that job.

• NetSageNetSage Lake Geneva, WIPosts: 1,040Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tokken

As an archer.. I reach my job of Bard and embrace the role... does that mean I can't solo anymore after lvl 30 and I am only good for grouping??

Just because you have a job doesn't mean you need to play it.  The archer class is still available to you.

• thunderCthunderC miami flPosts: 473Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by NetSage

Just because you have a job doesn't mean you need to play it.  The archer class is still available to you.

Yes but is it weaker? Are classes in general weaker than Jobs ? Does it become inferior at lvl 30 to run around as your class when your job is unlocked, I'm Going black mage so for me i dont care but for Archers it would be lame to be stuck playing a inferior dps class.

• deveilbladdeveilblad Saint-Constant, QCPosts: 177Member
    Originally posted by thunderC
    Originally posted by NetSage

Yes but is it weaker? Are classes in general weaker than Jobs ? Does it become inferior at lvl 30 to run around as your class when your job is unlocked, I'm Going black mage so for me i dont care but for Archers it would be lame to be stuck playing a inferior dps class.

As an archer you will have good DPS in a group, but you will not have much group utility compared to the advanced jobs. You can still do group content and have a good DPS.

• striderbobstriderbob Sheboygan, WIPosts: 174Member
    Classes are more for soloing and farming or whatever. Jobs are more specific roles for grouping for instances and raids.
  • HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member

You basically equip and unequip your job as you please.  Equipping your job grants you access to that job's abilities, but limits the miscellaneous abilities you can pull from other classes you have leveled.  Going back to just the archer class restricts you from the bard abilities, but opens up many more support and utility abilities from other classes.  

Of course, if you're leveling up for your first time and didn't bother leveling up any other classes yet (aside from 15 conjurer, which is also required to unlock bard), then there will be no reason to not just remain a bard, as you won't be losing any abilities from any other classes because you wouldn't have them unlocked yet.  

• massakremassakre Canby, ORPosts: 42Member

If I'm a level 26 lancer and I decide and I want to try archer (both within Disciple of War), what level does my archer initially start off as assuming I just finished the quest to obtain it?

How about if I want to play a class from Disciple of Magic?

So many questions!

• tokinitokini third hut on the leftPosts: 341Member Common
    silly question here, if i have lancer and pug at 30, can i be either a dragoon or monk, or is the 'job' limited to what my intial class was?

You can unlock and level up any class and job.

You just need to have it's (the jobs) starting class up to level 30,  and it's secondary class up to level 15.  In addition, you have to have completed that classes' storyline up to that point.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,561Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tokini
    silly question here, if i have lancer and pug at 30, can i be either a dragoon or monk, or is the 'job' limited to what my intial class was?

you can be any job and class you want and change whenever you want as long as you done the prerequisites to unlock the job.

• tokinitokini third hut on the leftPosts: 341Member Common
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

You can unlock and level up any class and job.

You just need to have it's (the jobs) starting class up to level 30,  and it's secondary class up to level 15.  In addition, you have to have completed that classes' storyline up to that point.

thanks

Originally posted by massakre

If I'm a level 26 lancer and I decide and I want to try archer (both within Disciple of War), what level does my archer initially start off as assuming I just finished the quest to obtain it?

How about if I want to play a class from Disciple of Magic?

So many questions!

You level every new class from level 1.  It doesn't matter what category the class falls under.  Also, there is no real quest to "obtain" archer.  After you get to a certain point in your story with your main class, you can just visit any class guild, talk to the NPC there, and gain entry.  They might have you perform one small task or something, if that's the "quest" you're talking about.  Other than that, you just purchase a weapon for that class.  From then on, whenever you equip that weapon type, you turn into that class; and your level is changed to whatever you got that particular class up to, which, in the beginning, is 1.  

• IllunariIllunari Aurora, COPosts: 14Member
    Speaking of this, is there a list somewhere of the 2 classes required for each job? I'd like to know what I'm going to have to level for each job.
    Originally posted by Illunari
    Speaking of this, is there a list somewhere of the 2 classes required for each job? I'd like to know what I'm going to have to level for each job.

This is the simplest one to understand that I've come across.  

It's interesting to note the imbalances.  You need conjurer, pugilist and gladiator to at least level 15 to unlock 3 jobs.  Lancer for two jobs.  Then archer, marauder, and thaumaturge for only one job each.  

This doesn't include arcanist, summoner and scholar though, which we don't completely know about yet.