Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you envision EQN to balance PvE and PvP - A Poll

ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
There has been other threads with discussion of PvE vs PvP so I thought creating a Poll would be interesting.

---
Ethion

Comments

• ZinnabunZinnabun Member Posts: 9

I am hoping for something like EvE. Null-sec for us and high-sec for people that don't like PvP. I wouldn't be upset at all if they went in that direction.

Smedley is a huge fan of EvE, so there is hope.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    Duels on PVE server, level range per zone with safe zones in those zones on a PVP server

Killing dragons is my shit

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

We did that poll this week

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/view/forums/thread/388107/What-type-of-PvP-do-you-want-in-EQN.html

Didn't see that poll but after looking at it I really don't like it.  It isn't really clear and has too many option refering to many different types of games for variations.  Breaking the past game orientation and getting more to the characteristic of PvE vs PvP with the variations not tied to specific games I think gives a less bias mix.  Someone who has played a game you mention might focus on the game and not the characteristic nuance of each game type you list.

---
    Ethion

Originally posted by Zinnabun

I am hoping for something like EvE. Null-sec for us and high-sec for people that don't like PvP. I wouldn't be upset at all if they went in that direction.

EvE is a game designed from the ground up to be PvP and has generally sucky PvE gameplay.  Although SCIFI game play is really more fleet type stuff without a Huge amount of variation in roles.

Fantasy MMO is much more varied and more about individual characters.  Warrior, Rogue, Wizard, Priest at it's base with a large variety of variations like shaman, druids, necromancers, enchanters, beastmasters, mages, monks, paladins, shadowknights, bard and berserker.  Pulling from EQ, https://www.everquest.com/classes

With each class being distinct and unique having a unique strong function it can contribute  to a group providing significant contributions to the group and a wide array of strategies.

Many people likely have no experience with a real PvE oriented game with WOW being the first big game after EQ but offering a watered down PvE experience relative to EQ but still much better than many games that have followed.

---
    Ethion

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    People expecting a themepark PVE experience in EQN are going to be disappointed.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Virtual world style.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by ethion
    There has been other threads with discussion of PvE vs PvP so I thought creating a Poll would be interesting.

The poll is premature.  I want to hear what they are doing with the game in details before seeing a post like this.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Whatever form it takes it will be entirely optional.
  • ZinnabunZinnabun Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Zinnabun I am hoping for something like EvE. Null-sec for us and high-sec for people that don't like PvP. I wouldn't be upset at all if they went in that direction. Smedley is a huge fan of EvE, so there is hope.
    EvE is a game designed from the ground up to be PvP and has generally sucky PvE gameplay.  Although SCIFI game play is really more fleet type stuff without a Huge amount of variation in roles. Fantasy MMO is much more varied and more about individual characters.  Warrior, Rogue, Wizard, Priest at it's base with a large variety of variations like shaman, druids, necromancers, enchanters, beastmasters, mages, monks, paladins, shadowknights, bard and berserker.  Pulling from EQ, https://www.everquest.com/classes With each class being distinct and unique having a unique strong function it can contribute  to a group providing significant contributions to the group and a wide array of strategies. Many people likely have no experience with a real PvE oriented game with WOW being the first big game after EQ but offering a watered down PvE experience relative to EQ but still much better than many games that have followed.

You have never played EvE in your life, have you? No huge amount of variation? Sucky PvE?  

What do you think that EvE is? That we all get the same ships and that's it?

http://eve.battleclinic.com/browse_loadouts.php

I guess that website must be full of s*** because clearly there is no variations in EvE... 

Don't comment on something you clearly haven't played, just as I won't comment on everquest and try to make a comparison. 

Originally posted by Zinnabun I am hoping for something like EvE. Null-sec for us and high-sec for people that don't like PvP. I wouldn't be upset at all if they went in that direction. Smedley is a huge fan of EvE, so there is hope.
    EvE is a game designed from the ground up to be PvP and has generally sucky PvE gameplay.  Although SCIFI game play is really more fleet type stuff without a Huge amount of variation in roles. Fantasy MMO is much more varied and more about individual characters.  Warrior, Rogue, Wizard, Priest at it's base with a large variety of variations like shaman, druids, necromancers, enchanters, beastmasters, mages, monks, paladins, shadowknights, bard and berserker.  Pulling from EQ, https://www.everquest.com/classes With each class being distinct and unique having a unique strong function it can contribute  to a group providing significant contributions to the group and a wide array of strategies. Many people likely have no experience with a real PvE oriented game with WOW being the first big game after EQ but offering a watered down PvE experience relative to EQ but still much better than many games that have followed.

You have never played EvE in your life, have you? No huge amount of variation? Sucky PvE?  

What do you think that EvE is? That we all get the same ships and that's it?

http://eve.battleclinic.com/browse_loadouts.php

I guess that website must be full of s*** because clearly there is no variations in EvE... 

Don't comment on something you clearly haven't played, just as I won't comment on everquest and try to make a comparison. 

I'm no EvE expert but yes I have played EvE and it isn't comparable.  This isn't to say that EvE isn't an amazing game with a lot of depth but it isn't the same as an MMORPG.  But that's my opinion.  

---
    Ethion

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    People expecting a themepark PVE experience in EQN are going to be disappointed.

and those expecting EVE set in the everquest, or any other non-consensual PVP ruleset are going to be disappointed as well. this is SOE's flagship they are not going to make it a niche game with indie game type playerbase numbers.

even though they basically say they don't want to be like WoW, they DO want the number of subscribers that WoW has. Adding any sort of non-consensual PVP will make people not even look at their Flagship. there is a reason people type out SOE like this $OE, they are all about making money so they will go where the money is and as much as you PVPers don't want to hear this ...

there are ALOT more PVE'rs and Consensual PVP supporters than pure hardcore PVPers.

so with that said im sure there will be an in-depth PVP system on all servers and maybe even FFA PVP servers but if you're expecting FFA PVP on all servers ... well i think thats a pipedream.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Ecoces

there are ALOT more PVE'rs and Consensual PVP supporters than pure hardcore PVPers.

so with that said im sure there will be an in-depth PVP system on all servers and maybe even FFA PVP servers but if you're expecting FFA PVP on all servers ... well i think thats a pipedream.

For those that want a "open world FFA consensual PvP" on PvE servers, for their sake, I hope that battlegrounds will not take place. If they do, they'll kill most of the world pvp that would be happening.

I saw that battlegrounds was mentioned on the poll, so figured I had to say something. :)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    PvP balancing is possibly the single greatest design principle that lead to the destruction of many MMO's.  To this day, you read the front page of mmochampions.com and see Blizzard still nerfing/buffing.  Get it right in alpha nad beta and change only what breaks your game, perfectly balanced classes is a pipe dream.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

You can have a sandbox PvE world.

People expecting DF:UW or Eve will be sadly disappointed.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

No, you cannot have sandbox in a PvE only game.

In fact sandbox by its nature implies FFA OWPvP, as it provides with the only model for players to engage in complex interaction narratives: rogue factions, treason, espionage, counter-intelligence, piracy, mercs, bounty-hunting, worthy trading, serious politics... That is, the only viable way of ""endgame". And this is what sandbox is about, isn't it?

Ideally, this system (OWPvP FFA) would go along a complex consequence/penalty system to prevent/punish ganking and abuse. Removing it would dramatically damage the game's long-term sustainibility, it'd be much less game and an immersion breaker from an RPG point of view. In other words:  you'd castrate the sandbox to turn it into another thing, something quite dull and lame i can tell you.

Why so many people don't understand this?

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by waynejr2

The poll is premature.  I want to hear what they are doing with the game in details before seeing a post like this.

This poll, along with all the others, are indeed premature.  At this point, with public unveiling in about a month, there's no chance to influence game design, so these polls might as well just have the following options :

• Whatever SOE publishes
    • Something else
    I will give the SOE development team high marks for keeping details of this project from the internet.   When all concrete knowledge of the project is put together and the rumor, speculation and wishing is discarded, we know that SOE will present something with the working title of "EQ Next" at SOE live on August 2.   At this point, EQ Next could be anything from an MMO to a nail fungus removal product.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    So what happened to PVP severs and PVE servers?

People expecting something other than a hybrid/sandpark with separate rule set servers are going to be disappointed imo.

Originally posted by Akerbeltz

You can have a pure sandbox mmo that has different server rules..ie PVE&PVP.

I'll say it again though, EQN will not be a pure sandbox game, anyone clinging to Smeds "sandbox" will be disappointed.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    The less restrictive the better in my opinion..if i seek a hand holding environment i'll play one of the any themeparks available.
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

In fact sandbox by its nature implies FFA OWPvP, as it provides with the only model for players to engage in complex interaction narratives: rogue factions, treason, espionage, counter-intelligence, piracy, mercs, bounty-hunting, worthy trading, serious politics... That is, the only viable way of ""endgame". And this is what sandbox is about, isn't it?

Ideally, this system (OWPvP FFA) would go along a complex consequence/penalty system to prevent/punish ganking and abuse. Removing it would dramatically damage the game's long-term sustainibility, it'd be much less game and an immersion breaker from an RPG point of view. In other words:  you'd castrate the sandbox to turn it into another thing, something quite dull and lame i can tell you.

Not true.

Sandbox by its nature does not imply FFA OWPvP.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by fyerwall

Not true.

Sandbox by its nature does not imply FFA OWPvP.

This a sandbox has nothing to do with PvP or PvE but both can use and be enhanced by Sandbox elements.Anyone who thinks a Sandbox can't be PvP or PvE only or a mix of both shows a distinct lack of imagination or is pushing a personal agenda.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Whether there are a list of servers or a mega shard that has phased "channels" I wonder if this would work:

Have a OWPvP Norrath and a PvE only Norrath running concurrently. In places like warzones or contested spots the two are phased together. Outside of those places each player is with their own.

Smed mentioned having battlegrounds that spanned the whole world so using phasing as a way to control "server types" isn't too far out the realm of possibility.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Agreed.  PvP should not be restricted at all anywhere, it should be just REALLY dumb to try to kill another player in and around the big NPC cities.