Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

List of Sandbox MMOs - Sticky Please

Comments

• dalewjdalewj woburn, MAPosts: 86Member Uncommon
    a true sandbox is controlled a good deal by the players..  not easy but yes i have seen it

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

• mCalvertmCalvert Tallahassee, FLPosts: 1,283Member

Anyhoo, back to the list, I don't mind removing things if theres a debate as to whether it qualifies. I supposed I will have to define my criteria since its not as obvious as I thought.

All obvious sandbox MMORPGs have some things in common:

freedom - the player is given tools and a general nudge in the right the direction to start but can then basically do whatever they want

open world - limited instancing and walls

massive number of players possible in one logical space

role playing - a general lore or story which sets the background

competition of some form

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by mCalvert

That's what a sandbox is. The players control whether its a gankfest or not. They are given tools and decide what to do with them.

Wrong. The "real world" is a sandbox, yet people most of the times don't kill each others in the streets mindlessly.

The big flaw of most of those "sandbox wannabe" PvP gank fest games is that they didn't implement the drawbacks for being a serial killer properly. They forgot that in a video game, you have unlimited lives, therefore people don't care about the pathetic consequences those games implement for being an ass.

A few games managed to do it properly, and they flourish. The others remain crappy niche games only played by those who enjoy killing each other all day long without any kind of depth to the gameplay.

In mortal you don't HAVE to kill each other. Same as in EVE. You can exist by avoiding everyone. Its also a GAME. Its fun because there is competition, be it trade or combat. This is not a virtual world, this is a game.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon

That's what a sandbox is. The players control whether its a gankfest or not. They are given tools and decide what to do with them.

Wrong. The "real world" is a sandbox, yet people most of the times don't kill each others in the streets mindlessly.

The big flaw of most of those "sandbox wannabe" PvP gank fest games is that they didn't implement the drawbacks for being a serial killer properly. They forgot that in a video game, you have unlimited lives, therefore people don't care about the pathetic consequences those games implement for being an ass.

A few games managed to do it properly, and they flourish. The others remain crappy niche games only played by those who enjoy killing each other all day long without any kind of depth to the gameplay.

In mortal you don't HAVE to kill each other. Same as in EVE. You can exist by avoiding everyone. Its also a GAME. Its fun because there is competition, be it trade or combat. This is not a virtual world, this is a game.

Comparing EvE to MO is killing your credibility. The second is a badly designed gank fest played by a small niche, while the first one (EvE) is the most successful sandbox MMORPG for now.

You never have to kill each other, yet when no well designed safeguards are implemented, some people will just do it because they can and don't have to fear any noticeable repercussions. That's the difference between a poorly designed game and a masterwork like EvE.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    Admins should steer clear from the minefield and not sticky any thread similar to this. It would be just asking for trouble.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon

Wrong. The "real world" is a sandbox, yet people most of the times don't kill each others in the streets mindlessly, and when they do, there are VERY harsh consequences often ending with the permanent loss of their own life.

I'm not sure the american suburbia is a good sample of the real world, sir. 

Comparing EvE to MO is killing your credibility. The second is a badly designed gank fest played by a small niche, while the first one (EvE) is the most successful sandbox MMORPG for now.

You never have to kill each other, yet when no well designed safeguards are implemented, some people will just do it because they can and don't have to fear any noticeable repercussions. That's the difference between a poorly designed game and a masterwork like EvE.

Whatever.

Originally posted by Quirhid
    Admins should steer clear from the minefield and not sticky any thread similar to this. It would be just asking for trouble.

They already did. Look at the stickies.

• usuckmmorpgcomusuckmmorpgcom c, KYPosts: 1,348Member

And hopefully there NEVER will be a way to filter it.

Sandbox means too many things to too many people for it to be seen as a defined category. Just think of the rage threads against MMORPG.com every time someone didn't like their interpretation of the word 'sandbox'. What a waste of forum space that would be.

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by azzamasin

AC is a sandbox because yo ucan do anything go anywhere and progress, not only that you can progress how you want or not progress at all and still play the game.  Total freedom.

Anyone who played AC1 knows this is totally wrong. Go to the obsidian plains at level 1, and you won't even touch the mobs, if you ever make it there. You'll be bashed so hard that your lifestone will flinch.

But that has nothing to do with what a sandbox is anyway. UO is a sandbox, yet you can't get into Hyloth and kill a dragon with a new character either, you'll get your ass handed to you properly and end a roasted newbie dragon meal. Sandbox never meant lack of progression, lack of character power increase.

I'm a big AC1 fan, but I won't try to turn the game into what it never was. You don't build anything in AC1 (except crafting, like in all other MMOs). You don't alter the world, the developers do that. A sandbox is a place where players alter the world actively, without developer intervention. They mold the sand.

AC1 is not a sandbox for the same reasons Age of Wushu or Guild Wars 2 aren't sandboxes.

And yet the powers that be call it one.  I wonder why that is?  Could it be because sandbox means something other then building?  Perhaps so. I'll not delve into this matter any more but suffice it to say AC is a sandbox, although a different type of sandbox then say UO.  Games like Just Cause 2 are also called a sandbox but that is for a different genre.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Richmond, VAPosts: 1,538Member Common

freedom - the player is given tools and a general nudge in the right the direction to start but can then basically do whatever they want

competition of some form

If this is the criteria than Everquest 1 is a sandbox.

But I think ability for the players to alter the world is a defining sandbox feature.

Some of the stuff on here is not remotely sandbox defining, such as limited walls, number of people, roleplaying, and especially competition.   

• legendsololegendsolo gentPosts: 81Member
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

competition of some form

But I think ability for the players to alter the world is a defining sandbox feature.

Some of the stuff on here is not remotely sandbox defining, such as limited walls, number of people, roleplaying, and especially competition.   

True, but we are talking about sandbox MMORPGs.

competition of some form

If you think it qualifies, I can add it. Ive never played it.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Richmond, VAPosts: 1,538Member Common

competition of some form

Its not.  Your criteria allows for it though, which means you need to rethink your criteria.  FFXI fits your criteria as well.

competition of some form

Its not.  Your criteria allows for it though, which means you need to rethink your criteria.  FFXI fits your criteria as well.

If FFXI meets the critera, then I can add it too. It seemed pretty much on rails though.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Posts: 5,290Member Uncommon

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon
    How about sticky into the LFG forum

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon

Theres no way to filter for Sandbox type games in the game list, so thought I would start making one. Apologies if there is one somewhere. Maybe the Devs can sticky that one instead.

Whats a sandbox?  Argue about it there... Ill will stick to the obvious ones, but I haven't played every sandbox yet, so feel free to point out what I missed.

The List

• EVE Online
    • Darkfall
    • WURM
    • Perpetuum
    • Ultima Online
    • Anarchy Online
    • Xsyon
    • Mortal Online
    • Ryzom
    • Age of Wushu
    • Entropia
    • Asherons Call
    Edit - since there was some confusion.

open world - limited instancing or walls

competition of some form

If you feel any of these games don't include this, Im happy to remove them. I am most interested in collecting a list of purist sandbox MMORPGs.

lol you missed runescape.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member

I dislike this form of definition for a sandbox because all it is, is a complex description of a open world MMO with no content.

in my opinion this is less of a step forwards and more of a lazy design.

I don't understand why people think the term sandbox means that, the term sandbox hasn't even been around for more then a few years and it first really started getting used in applications to games that where about building or changing the world.

but no one is ever going to agree on this subject, which is why I ignore the term when it is applied to games cause even gaming companies cant seem to agree on a set term for what it means and several have started just slapping it on there cause they know it makes gamers rush for it in droves.

people are free to hold their own opinion but I would like people to stop calling others idiots  or other such thing cause they don't agree with you, just because someone dose not agree with you dose not mean they are stupid, and stating what you think something means is not concrete proof, of what it is.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,538Member Uncommon

You chose Anarchy Online and Asheron's Call , but not Fallen Earth. This list is all bias. Asking for a sticky while you are not allowed to discuss first what a sandbox is and the OP simply decides what makes the list is laughable.

A sticky would be a list that most of the readers here on these forums would agree about.

• someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,538Member Uncommon

competition of some form

Yeah and Vanguard and Fallen Earth too. There are a lot of MMO's that fit those criteria. This is the problem with this thread. It always goes back to what people see as a sandbox. Ultima Online , WURM and SWG come closest as far as I've seen. Other's you could debate if they are even RPG's (MMO yes MMORPG no). Some even debate that having no quests means it is a sandbox. Lol.

I think there are only singleplayer/multiplayer sandboxes. Minecraft, Terraria, those kind of games.

• LugorsLugors colorado springs, COPosts: 180Member
    I find it interesting that I have only heard of 5 of the games on that list, and played none of them.  Having played EQ, EQ2, WoW, Rift, TSW, FFXI, LotRO, and SWTOR, either I'm stuck on a theme park rut, or your sandbox type titles have poor marketing, limited appeal, or mix of both.   Not trying to throw spears, but is the niche like appeal of sandbox titles because of the gameplay, or the lack of a quality game meeting the criteria?
  • ApraxisApraxis RegensburgPosts: 1,515Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lugors
    I find it interesting that I have only heard of 5 of the games on that list, and played none of them.  Having played EQ, EQ2, WoW, Rift, TSW, FFXI, LotRO, and SWTOR, either I'm stuck on a theme park rut, or your sandbox type titles have poor marketing, limited appeal, or mix of both.   Not trying to throw spears, but is the niche like appeal of sandbox titles because of the gameplay, or the lack of a quality game meeting the criteria?

It is rather simple. Up to now just only 3 AAA sandbox mmorpgs have been released, and all of them a long time ago. To name it its UO, SWG and EvE. And from that list EvE did not start as a AAA mmo. SWG was more or less converted into a more themeparkish game and shut down later. So there is indeed a lack of quality in sandbox mmorpgs in the recent years.

But with the sandbox revival thankfully through Minecraft we may soon see a lot more AAA sandbox mmos, and so the picture may change. Like games such as ArcheAge, Everquest Next, World of Darkness and more. But also a lot of indy sandbox games coming like Repopulation, Pathfinder Online and even more.

On the other side this list http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349518 is most probably the better one. At least i would not consider Anarchy Online nor Asheron Call sandbox games.. they are classic open world games, but not really a lot of tools to change or influence the game world. (or to be exactly no tools at all)

Originally posted by someforumguy

You chose Anarchy Online and Asheron's Call , but not Fallen Earth. This list is all bias. Asking for a sticky while you are not allowed to discuss first what a sandbox is and the OP simply decides what makes the list is laughable.

A sticky would be a list that most of the readers here on these forums would agree about.

Which is why im modifying it based on consensus. I haven't played every game so Im ralying on yall to make a case that something should or shouldn't be on the list.

Originally posted by Lugors

They are typically niche games due to their difficulty. They aren't supposed to appeal to everyone like a themepark does. Its the difference between going to an actual themepark, or exploring some city youre new to.