Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of Sandbox MMOs - Sticky Please

mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Theres no way to filter for Sandbox type games in the game list, so thought I would start making one. Apologies if there is one somewhere. Maybe the Devs can sticky that one instead.

Whats a sandbox?  Argue about it there... Ill will stick to the obvious ones, but I haven't played every sandbox yet, so feel free to point out what I missed.

The List

• EVE Online
  • Darkfall
  • WURM
  • Perpetuum
  • Ultima Online
  • Anarchy Online
  • Xsyon
  • Mortal Online
  • Ryzom
  • Age of Wushu
  • Entropia
  • Asherons Call
  • Faldon
Edit - since there was some confusion.

All obvious sandbox MMORPGs have some things in common:

freedom - the player is given tools and a general nudge in the right the direction to start but can then basically do whatever they want

open world - limited instancing or walls

massive number of players possible in one logical space

role playing - a general lore or story which sets the background

competition of some form

If you feel any of these games don't include this, Im happy to remove them. I am most interested in collecting a list of purist sandbox MMORPGs.

Comments

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Ryzom is arguably better than most games on that list, please add it.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu. 

add to your list. It's probably the best on the list. if you like people more than space ships 15-20 million worldwide. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by legendsolo
    there is already a list http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349518

Ah well then, 1. mmorpg search box sucks and 2. mods, please sticky THAT thread, although mines a bit more strict I guess. Fallen Earth is not an obvious sandbox. It just has some elements.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Yeah... Perpetuum that is on past life support and where a few Devs are left....

Mortal Online that has failed to get the Greenlight on Steam or how it has cheated it's customers is buggy/exploitive as hell and the only reason it's not shut down is because spoiled lil rich kid's daddy is paying to keep it running...

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Fallen Earth is missing. 

Also, if you consider AO a sandbox, you can probably consider AoC one too, in terms of being able to build cities, attack other people's cities, etc.  They're both hybrids really.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by mCalvert

Ah well then, 1. mmorpg search box sucks and 2. mods, please sticky THAT thread, although mines a bit more strict I guess. Fallen Earth is not an obvious sandbox. It just has some elements.

That thread is just a bunch of ppl arguing about what a sandbox is and the OP almost never comes to the forums to update it.

This one of course will become just another argument but atleast you're active...for now :P

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Entropia Universe

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111
    Divergence Online should be on the list, even though its not out yet.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by bcbully

Age of Wushu. 

add to your list. It's probably the best on the list. if you like people more than space ships 15-20 million worldwide. 

How exactly is age of wushu a sandbox? You can't build things in that game.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Triadninja
    Divergence Online should be on the list, even though its not out yet.

A game that is not even complete and hasn't it's features flesh out should be on this list? Right...

Originally posted by DamonVile

That thread is just a bunch of ppl arguing about what a sandbox is and the OP almost never comes to the forums to update it.

This one of course will become just another argument but atleast you're active...for now :P

because there is no need to update it? As far as I know there isnt a new one released.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Asheron's Call is missing from the list as well.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

Some playable Alphas (terraforming/crafting/multiplayer):

• StarForge (on STEAM)
    • Planet Explorers (free download, playable)
    • Starmade (free download, playable, multiplayer servers active)

Also a decent listing here for upcoming sandbox games from STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135773904

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Age of Wushu. 

Show me in the definition of where you need to be able to build something to label it a sandbox.  Sandbox means non-linear, open ended gameplay. Period.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

Age of Wushu. 

Show me in the definition of where you need to be able to build something to label it a sandbox.  Sandbox means non-linear, open ended gameplay. Period.

That's your definition. In my sandbox I built things...a game without "sand" isn't a sandbox to me.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

You don't like it so it sucks.  Ok.  The world doesn't really work that way.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Age of Wushu. 

that's how you define 'sandbox'.

how i see it: you have openworlds and sandboxes. In an open world the player can roam freely through the virtual world and is given freedom in how or when to approach objectives.No invisible walls and loading screens that block you from certain parts of the world.In a sandbox, the player has tools to modify the world themselves and create how they play. openworlds dont necessarily imply a sandbox. For me AoW is a openworld.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

World of Darkness

Black Desert

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

Age of Wushu. 

so in your term a sandbox is a open world theme park with no content, ok then I have a simple solution for you go play WoW and ignore the content there you go perfect sandbox. tell all your friends.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

You should probably restrict your list to games that have actually launched. Everyone knows that when you say sandbox ppl go all zealot fan over the game, but until you actually play the game we don't really know it's going to be a "sandbox "

Neverwinter could of called itself a sandbox. The foundry is a building tool. I wouldn't want to see it on a sandbox list though.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

Shores of Hazeron is another.

On sandbox definition: My opinion is that a sandbox must have some sort of free build or world editing element.  Other games are simply open-world, non-linear games.  If I see a tree, can I cut it down is always a good test.  Even games like DF and MO, where you can only build in certain areas, are semi-sandbox in my opinion.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

World of Warcraft. It's as much a "sandbox" as most of the rest of that list

Not that, beyond something like Second Life or Minecraft, that the term "sandbox" is anything more than mental masturbation anyway.