Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lots of gamers make sick sarcastic jokes, but one guy is facing 8 years for his comment

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by wolffin

Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas-teen-makes-violent-joke-during-video-game-is-jailed-for-months/

its pure idiocy to lock him up but he made the comment on FACEBOOK - not in a videogame

http://globalnews.ca/news/679742/u-s-teen-jailed-for-terrorist-threats-after-comments-he-made-on-facebook/

18-year-old Justin Carter engaged in an argument on Facebook over the online game “League of Legends” in February when another user started calling him crazy and saying he was “messed up in the head.”

http://www.wetpaint.com/moms/articles/2013-06-28-facebook-comment-teen-prison

19-year-old Justin Carter had just finished a game of League of Legends when he became involved in a conversation with someone on Facebook.

Teen faces 8 years in prison for making a (terrifying) Facebook joke

http://now.msn.com/justin-carter-teen-faces-prison-for-facebook-sarcastic-threat

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Bullshit like this makes me angry at American laws.  Instead of putting him in Jail for 8 years and ruining his life for something he didnt even do other than write one irresponsible sentence why not just have him in probation and keep an eye on him for a while if they take it that seriously.  Or would that cost more than just caging him up? This is so stupid.

The prison system is corrupt in america.  "Prisons" and "youth correctional facilities" are run by businesses who become friends with "judges" who when passing sentences make the prison service KERCHING.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Giddian

"But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police."

That right there is the whole crux of the problem. "Some lady" decided he was serious and called the authorities. In the atmosphere of League of Legends, this "some lady" should be charged for the waste of time, money, and resources she wasted.

I applaud the petition and the poignant "First Amendment" rights reiteration.

Next Stop: Thought Police.

Thought Police? Really?

This is a threat, Joke or Not it IS a terrorist threat.

No. It is NOT a terrorist threat. I highly doubt, though I could be wrong, he is associated with any known or unknown terrorist organization. Maybe he is a splinter cell of 1. Who knows?

Was it a smart thing to post on Facebook? Of course not. It was very stupid. There is no law making stupidity against the law, unfortunately.

I will quote good old Benjamin Franklin here:
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Think on that for a bit.

Yes it is 100% a Terrorist threat. there is NO doubt about it. as for the rest? The only person quoted is the Father. His word is 100% correct? The police are the gestopo? Rush in and Not only take in But CHARGE him on the word of 1 caller? You are the type of person this article targets. This is entirely 1 sided. Do you Know who his associates are? do you Know this is the ONLY comment made? Do you Know ANYTHING other than what the DAD Said? Do you think the Dad is going to say ANYTHING that shows MAYBE His son is Wrong?  

Think about that.    Wait,,,, Is that a black Helicopter?????

No. It is NOT terrorist threat. It IS a joke. A bad joke, I agree, but a joke nonetheless. I could be wrong. Perhaps he DID intend to go shoot up a school and eat the beating hearts. I really do not know and am assuming on the side of humanity and innocence. Remember that fundamental precept of America Justice: Innocent until proven guilty. Or does that get thrown out the window so that you can feel safe inside your suburban home?

From what *I* have read, I have seen ONLY the ONE report from a Canadian woman. Perhaps you could link me to what you have read about that cites more than this? Since he did post it on Facebook, anyone and everyone could log on and see what he wrote. And like most internet users, they will not make the effort to research what transpired before (him being called "insane"), stopping as soon as they find what they agree with. That is shoddy work, especially for police.

Now, if he had told the Canadian woman that he was going to rape or kill her specifically, harm her specifically in any way, I am all for arresting him. Had he specified which school he was going to shoot up, by all means, keep an eye on him. Investigate him. See if he has motive and means to do so. Maybe they did, I do not know. Information is very lacking in the few reports I've seen.

The fact that you believe what he said, not what he did, warrants his incarceration makes me sad.

Again, context is missing or neglected.

Nope. No black helicopters spotted over here.

first. it is a terrorist threat.

Terroristic Threat Law & Legal Definition

A terroristic threat is a crime generally involving a threat to commit violence communicated with the intent to terrorize another, to cause evacuation of a building, or to cause serious public inconvenience, in reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience. It may mean an offense against property or involving danger to another person that may include but is not limited to recklessly endangering another person, harassment, stalking, ethnic intimidation, and criminal mischief.

The following is an example of a Texas statute dealing with terroristic threats:

TERRORISTIC THREAT

(a) A person commits an offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with intent to:

1. cause a reaction of any type to his threat[s] by an official or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies;
    2. place any person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury;
    3. prevent or interrupt the occupation or use of a building; room; place of assembly; place to which the public has access; place of employment or occupation; aircraft, automobile, or other form of conveyance; or other public place;
    4. cause impairment or interruption of public communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power supply or other public service;
    5. place the public or a substantial group of the public in fear of serious bodily injury; or
    6. influence the conduct or activities of a branch or agency of the federal government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state.

He is  Innocent until proven guilty. he hasn't been convicted. Only Charged.

look at other school shootings. Similar thing were said by the killers and dismissed. Maybe you would prefer people wait until the act is committed before doing anything?

The Law is the Law. Freedom of speech only takes you so far. doesn't absolve you of consequences of you comments

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas-teen-makes-violent-joke-during-video-game-is-jailed-for-months/

I'm glad they done this. I'm tired of cyber bullies, trolls and you name it. its time to clamp down on them. I live in the UK and our laws are sickening. A person who commits a murder here will get around that much as that kid is having. I wish our laws were like Texas, at least people here will learn their place.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

What a joke. And I can't believe some people are defending this.

How did that Canadian woman find out this guys identity anyway?

Originally posted by thekid1

What a joke. And I can't believe some people are defending this.

How did that Canadian woman find out this guys identity anyway?

OPs link was sloppy reporting

the conversation took place on Facebook

Teen faces 8 years in prison for making a (terrifying) Facebook joke

http://now.msn.com/justin-carter-teen-faces-prison-for-facebook-sarcastic-threat

• SkatrandySkatrandy Member Posts: 5

So for all of the people who agree that there should be a form of accountability for statements made on the internet, what do you think about the previously mentioned article http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06/27/if-zimmerman-get-off-ima-go-kill-a-white-boy-trayvon-martin-supporters-make-shocking-threats-ahead-of-verdict/ ?

If you think this kid deserves to be jailed / investigated for his comments, how do you feel about the comments made in the article? Should they be treated the same way (arrested and investigated)?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    What law was broken? Especially if the kid said he was just kidding around which would easily be provable via chat logs provided by Riot. It's a tasteless statement, but it's not illegal. Absolutely insane that they want to charge this kid with eight years for this. It saddens me that this type of harassment by authority is allowed to continue in The Land of The Free. 

Yeah not the land of the free anymore. It's more like an illusion of freedom. 

We haven't been the land of the free since the Patriot Act and the implementation of Homeland Security.  You can't even speak against the military without being hounded by someone, even your neighbors.  Free speech is fast becoming a relic of the past.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by GrumpyHobbit

Originally posted by GrumpyHobbit
    Why is everyone so focused on what was or was not said rather then the fact it took a month for the authorities to do anything about it if it was considered a possible threat?

Building Evidence, surveillance. Gathering internet conversations. people are not arrested and held on the word of one caller. They could bring him in for questioning. All this makes this article more and more one sided or 100% fake.

Shame they didn't have the same dedication to finding the people behind 9/11.

Er, besides having a 10 year manhunt and violating the borders of a sovereign nation to hunt down and kill the primary organizer and several family members. Even dumped the body at sea so there could be no memorial. Yeah, I think they did a pretty good job of follow through on that one. Israel would have been proud.

Back to the OP, I think the story is BS myself, will wait and see if it can be verified.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran
     Back to the OP, I think the story is BS myself, will wait and see if it can be verified.

its mostly true - except it took place on facebook

google: news teen facebook 8 years

Originally posted by Jorl

I'm glad they done this. I'm tired of cyber bullies, trolls and you name it. its time to clamp down on them. I live in the UK and our laws are sickening. A person who commits a murder here will get around that much as that kid is having. I wish our laws were like Texas, at least people here will learn their place.

Living in Texas, I can affirm that strict laws and the death penalty have been absolutely no deterrent from continued misbehavior and murders, including those committed by the lawmakers themselves.  We are suffering under a corrupt government that is making every effort to pass laws that control anyone who doesn't think like they do.  I despise Governor Rick Perry and his Tea Party cronies.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

For those of you thinking this is a hoax, he didn't make the comments on League of Legends. The dumbass made it on Facebook (in an argument about LoL) so it was very easy for the mother and police to track him down and see his threat.

After half a dozen school shootings across the US, police are bound to start taking threats seriously eventually. Don't you think? It's like if someone was slowly killing off your entire family but you waited until a couple dozen were already dead before buying a gun and preemptively shooting the next person that comes at your family with a weapon.

Plenty of people now believe these threats by kids have been the only 'sign' in several cases that somebody was going to shoot up a school. America isn't scared. It's just determining not to take bullshit from stupid kids that think it's funny making it so easy for the insane ones to act on it since the 'warning signs' were played off as a joke, or 'not a big deal' time and time again. Considering the kid already prompted someone else calling him 'insane', there might have been more leading up to the one line threat in the story. If everyone starts to think 'lol jk' is a way to play off any threat, then kids can just start using that now before shooting up a school. The American government and police clearly aren't afraid to take any steps necessary to preemptively attack and detain any possible threat, at the expense of any other law or freedom that can potentially protect someone planning an attack.

I'm not going to argue if that is 'right' or not. It might be crossing the line in many cases according to the constitution, but this isn't a place for that kind of debate. Some of you seem pitifully ignorant or misinformed about the facts above. At least get your shit straight before picking a side.

My only inclination to respond to the story itself was 'lol wtfpwned'. Back when I was in school, this is remarkably similar to that loser that went around talking shit goofing around like an idiot until someone took him seriously and beat the crap out of him. I was the guy watching with the popcorn (technically soda and muffin most of the time) because some of us just aren't that stupid and it was quite entertaining seeing justice delivered. The kid is lucky he didn't end up in the hospital by the parents of past school-shooting victims tracking him down and teaching him a lesson.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    What law was broken? Especially if the kid said he was just kidding around which would easily be provable via chat logs provided by Riot. It's a tasteless statement, but it's not illegal. Absolutely insane that they want to charge this kid with eight years for this. It saddens me that this type of harassment by authority is allowed to continue in The Land of The Free. 

Yeah not the land of the free anymore. It's more like an illusion of freedom. 

Seriously, it's been an illusion for over a decade now.  I was never ashamed to be an American until certain events.

Originally posted by IrishChai

For those of you thinking this is a hoax, he didn't make the comments on League of Legends. The dumbass made it on Facebook (in an argument about LoL) so it was very easy for the mother and police to track him down and see his threat.

After half a dozen school shootings across the US, police are bound to start taking threats seriously eventually. Don't you think? It's like if someone was slowly killing off your entire family but you waited until a couple dozen were already dead before buying a gun and preemptively shooting the next person that comes at your family with a weapon.

Plenty of people now believe these threats by kids have been the only 'sign' in several cases that somebody was going to shoot up a school. America isn't scared. It's just determining not to take bullshit from stupid kids that think it's funny making it so easy for the insane ones to act on it since the 'warning signs' were played off as a joke, or 'not a big deal' time and time again. Considering the kid already prompted someone else calling him 'insane', there might have been more leading up to the one line threat in the story. If everyone starts to think 'lol jk' is a way to play off any threat, then kids can just start using that now before shooting up a school. The American government and police clearly aren't afraid to take any steps necessary to preemptively attack and detain any possible threat, at the expense of any other law or freedom that can potentially protect someone planning an attack.

I'm not going to argue if that is 'right' or not. It might be crossing the line in many cases according to the constitution, but this isn't a place for that kind of debate. Some of you seem pitifully ignorant or misinformed about the facts above. At least get your shit straight before picking a side.

My only inclination to respond to the story itself was 'lol wtfpwned'. Back when I was in school, this is remarkably similar to that loser that went around talking shit goofing around like an idiot until someone took him seriously and beat the crap out of him. I was the guy watching with the popcorn (technically soda and muffin most of the time) because some of us just aren't that stupid and it was quite entertaining seeing justice delivered. The kid is lucky he didn't end up in the hospital by the parents of past school-shooting victims tracking him down and teaching him a lesson.

I completely support the belief that a person is innocent until proven guilty.  Until they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he planned on going through with said threat, he does not deserve eight years in prison. While they investigate, he is innocent and should not be painted as a criminal when there is no evidence to support it.

http://rt.com/usa/prison-years-teenager-sarcastic-383/

Justin Carter was only 18 years old when he and a friend got into an online spat over Facebook back in February with another person.

Carter’s trial is expected to begin July 1 in Texas.

Earlier this month, a grand jury in Massachusetts declined to indict an 18-year-old aspiring rapper who was accused of making terrorist threats after posting prose on his Facebook page that referenced the Boston Marathon bombing. Cameron B. D’Ambrosio was detained for one month in jail and stood to serve as much as two decades if convicted.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/28/us-army-blocks-guardian-website-access?CMP=twt_gu

"Network hygiene" is very important. Imagine what would happen if people could read the unfiltered news.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

I completely support the belief that a person is innocent until proven guilty.  Until they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he planned on going through with said threat, then he does not deserve eight years in prison and until they do prove guilt, he is innocent at this point.

He's charged with making a threat of violence against children.  Pretty sure this an open and shut case against him.  What is not known by the legion of internet trolls is whether he has a history of violence, a juvenile record, a history of drug abuse or mental health issues.  The prosecutor doesn't have to try the case in the public, so that side isn't shown in the PR campaign the family is waging.  The simple fact that he has been held without bail is very telling.  That means someone convinced a judge that he was a threat to the public.   

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Bullshit like this makes me angry at American laws.  Instead of putting him in Jail for 8 years and ruining his life for something he didnt even do other than write one irresponsible sentence why not just have him in probation and keep an eye on him for a while if they take it that seriously.  Or would that cost more than just caging him up? This is so stupid.

seriously?

here in Brazil a 17 years old kid can murder/robber whoever he/she wants and will be set free when it complete 18 with the criminal record clean.

i whish my country had a serious jurisdiction like US.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

"But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police."

That right there is the whole crux of the problem. "Some lady" decided he was serious and called the authorities. In the atmosphere of League of Legends, this "some lady" should be charged for the waste of time, money, and resources she wasted.

I applaud the petition and the poignant "First Amendment" rights reiteration.

Next Stop: Thought Police.

Thought Police? Really?

This is a threat, Joke or Not it IS a terrorist threat.

No. It is NOT a terrorist threat. I highly doubt, though I could be wrong, he is associated with any known or unknown terrorist organization. Maybe he is a splinter cell of 1. Who knows?

Was it a smart thing to post on Facebook? Of course not. It was very stupid. There is no law making stupidity against the law, unfortunately.

I will quote good old Benjamin Franklin here:
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Think on that for a bit.

Yes it is 100% a Terrorist threat. there is NO doubt about it. as for the rest? The only person quoted is the Father. His word is 100% correct? The police are the gestopo? Rush in and Not only take in But CHARGE him on the word of 1 caller? You are the type of person this article targets. This is entirely 1 sided. Do you Know who his associates are? do you Know this is the ONLY comment made? Do you Know ANYTHING other than what the DAD Said? Do you think the Dad is going to say ANYTHING that shows MAYBE His son is Wrong?  

Think about that.    Wait,,,, Is that a black Helicopter?????

No. It is NOT terrorist threat. It IS a joke. A bad joke, I agree, but a joke nonetheless. I could be wrong. Perhaps he DID intend to go shoot up a school and eat the beating hearts. I really do not know and am assuming on the side of humanity and innocence. Remember that fundamental precept of America Justice: Innocent until proven guilty. Or does that get thrown out the window so that you can feel safe inside your suburban home?

From what *I* have read, I have seen ONLY the ONE report from a Canadian woman. Perhaps you could link me to what you have read about that cites more than this? Since he did post it on Facebook, anyone and everyone could log on and see what he wrote. And like most internet users, they will not make the effort to research what transpired before (him being called "insane"), stopping as soon as they find what they agree with. That is shoddy work, especially for police.

Now, if he had told the Canadian woman that he was going to rape or kill her specifically, harm her specifically in any way, I am all for arresting him. Had he specified which school he was going to shoot up, by all means, keep an eye on him. Investigate him. See if he has motive and means to do so. Maybe they did, I do not know. Information is very lacking in the few reports I've seen.

The fact that you believe what he said, not what he did, warrants his incarceration makes me sad.

Again, context is missing or neglected.

Nope. No black helicopters spotted over here.

first. it is a terrorist threat. You sure about that? Terroristic Threat Law & Legal Definition  A terroristic threat is a crime generally involving a threat to commit violence communicated with the intent to terrorize another Who was being terrorized?, to cause evacuation of a building What building needed evacuating?, or to cause serious public inconvenience Where was the public inconvenienced?, in reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience Was there reckless disregard and who again was terrorized or inconvenienced?. It may mean an offense against property or involving danger to another person that may include but is not limited to recklessly endangering another person, harassment, stalking, ethnic intimidation, and criminal mischief. Again, who recklessly endangered? The following is an example of a Texas statute dealing with terroristic threats: TERRORISTIC THREAT (a) A person commits an offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with intent to: cause a reaction of any type to his threat[s] by an official or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies; What agency reacted to his Facebook post? place any person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury; Who was in fear of imminent serious bodily injury? prevent or interrupt the occupation or use of a building; room; place of assembly; place to which the public has access; place of employment or occupation; aircraft, automobile, or other form of conveyance; or other public place; What building, room, place of assembly, public access place, place of employment, aircraft, automobile, or other conveyance or public place  was threatened? cause impairment or interruption of public communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power supply or other public service; Which public communications, transportation, utilities, or services were interrupted or impaired? place the public or a substantial group of the public in fear of serious bodily injury; Who was in fear of serious bodily injury? or influence the conduct or activities of a branch or agency of the federal government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state. What activities were influenced of which agency of the federal government, state, or political subdivision of the state?   He is  Innocent until proven guilty. he hasn't been convicted. Only Charged.   look at other school shootings. Similar thing were said by the killers and dismissed. Maybe you would prefer people wait until the act is committed before doing anything?   The Law is the Law. Freedom of speech only takes you so far. doesn't absolve you of consequences of you comments

Tell me, for I do not know, who or what was terrorized?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by Lugors

I completely support the belief that a person is innocent until proven guilty.  Until they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he planned on going through with said threat, then he does not deserve eight years in prison and until they do prove guilt, he is innocent at this point.

He's charged with making a threat of violence against children.  Pretty sure this an open and shut case against him.  What is not known by the legion of internet trolls is whether he has a history of violence, a juvenile record, a history of drug abuse or mental health issues.  The prosecutor doesn't have to try the case in the public, so that side isn't shown in the PR campaign the family is waging.  The simple fact that he has been held without bail is very telling.  That means someone convinced a judge that he was a threat to the public.   

Making a threat does not justify prison.  They have to prove conspiracy.   Notes and plans and second or third party witnesses to prove guilt.  A crime has to be committed or it didn't happen.  At best, they can file a restraining order and keep an eye on him.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by IrishChai

thx for this, great post.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Making a threat does not justify prison.  They have to prove conspiracy.   Notes and plans and second or third party witnesses to prove guilt.  A crime has to be committed or it didn't happen.  At best, they can file a restraining order and keep an eye on him.

he's been in jail for the last 6 months -- awaiting his trial

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/teenager-justin-carter-facebook-comment-jail_n_3512025.html

Originally posted by Nadia

he's been in jail for the last 6 months -- awaiting his trial

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/teenager-justin-carter-facebook-comment-jail_n_3512025.html

That would indicate there is real evidence or there is a travesty taking place all in the name of security.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I will withhold judgement until I know more facts.

Based on just what I read he should not be held or put on trial. However I am sure there is a bit more to the story. Typically a judge would have to see him a few days after the arrest for a bond hearing. Either the bond was revoked or was set so high he could not be bailed out by his parents.

The judge for some reason thought he was an actual danger and did one of those two things. Perhaps this was not the 1st time he was brought before the judge. Perhaps he has made threats in the past. Perhaps the police found evidence that he was a risk for a mass school killing.

I dont know, and neither does anyone else it seems. Follow the trial and see what comes out before rushing to judgement.

Maybe he is being wrongly accused and held, maybe he isnt. Either way the days of making threats to go shoot children are over. Especially on social media sites.

If the kid just made a bad joke then he wont serve any time. The eight years is a maximum sentence I am sure, he will probably get off with a slap on the wrist, unless he actually was a threat and did plan to kill children.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Lugors

No they don't.  Making the threat is enough here.

This discussion has been closed.