Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does this game have hype when it's so horrendously crappy?

AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351

Any brief read of the multitude of reviews out there will show that the zombies are a joke in this zombie game, which is mostly about vigilante vs vigilante. If you actually play the game, it is mostly composed of griefing for the sake of griefing, PvP, or concern for your safety (grief just in case they were trying to grief you).

The UI, controls, etc. are horrendously bad. The graphics are total crap, and the animations are absolutely hysterical. Manipulation of the world is very limited (not even close to simulation or a do-anything style of gameplay) and other zombie survival games (ex. Project Zomboid) pull off the design idea infinitely better.

While I understand the IDEA of the game's design is a great IDEA, and the IDEA sounds like a blast- the game is nothing like the idea in any way. IMO, and in the opinion of thousands of players who wouldn't play this even if it is free, I don't understand the cult following it has massed.

Sure it isn't a large following, but it is indeed large enough to be considered a "cult following" number of fans. Fans of what? The idea? The actual horrendously designed griefing?

While I understand there are thousands of players who would literally enjoy a game where all you did was spawn camp newbs from the spawn using cheats (not saying DAY Z is like this, but the example shows that there are players for just about any game, however ridiculous it is, however bad the design, however awful the implementation of the design). I simply don't understand why this game has so much hype.

Many write off those of us who ask this question, thinking we are just carebears, don't have what it takes, or some other irrational attack when someone has a valid point on why the game isn't as good as the cult hype believes. For those of you who won't retaliate against me for making this thread...do you know why people like this?

Or is this another one of those psuedo-games where people claim it's awesome, but don't actually play it? You know... those people who go on and on about how amazing a game is, but don't play it anymore, haven't played it in forever, and barely played it for more than 20 hours but claim it's "one of the best"?

I just don't get people sometimes. And yes, I HAVE read what people say is the "good parts" of the game. However, I don't see how they get past the 99.99% other failures the game has to offer. But then again... there's still a devoted following for WAR Z, and that is one of the biggest scams in the recent history of gaming. Heck, there are even fans of WAR Z's creator's other horrendous games.

If it has zombies and is a FPS game, does that mean free phat lootz for devs no matter how flawed or awful the game is?

Comments

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351

Just to post before some emotional fanboy tries to flame me for saying something unholy about his fave game (which he probably doesn't play anymore)- no, I am not writing this because I died or was "griefed too much."

One only needs to read a few reviews and start the game to realize the hype is very strange. Telling someone to "Give it a shot" is equivalent to "Wasting one's time". Time I wish I could get back by not playing this non-game.

Perhaps it isn't the fault of DAY Z though. It's actually probably more the horrendously bad game interface it was built on: ARMA.

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79

Actually I really enjoy the game, you say that the controls/ ui are crappy, this is because the game is (currently) build out of Arma 2, which is a action simulator, but honestly, DayZ is a great game, absolutly love it... maybe you tried playing it by yourself? try it with 2 or three friends, its great fun honestly.

I just started playing it agian, with a mod, that lets you build custom vehicles, houses/town and adds a ton of new zombies and such, honestly, graphics dont make a game, so that argument is invalid, All in all, great fun, if you have friends to play with of course.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    As a mod they use the engine well. It's buggy yes, but the zombies definately aren't easy to deal with, especially on harder than normal difficulties. Are you thinking of War-Z? Because in that game the zombies sit still while you whack on them with flashlights. The graphics look really nice as well. I'm not sure if you actually watched or played the game based on what you said. I'm not a fanboy of it either in any respect, I've played it maybe 5 or 6 times. The main problem I had was the horrid UI more than anything else. There's too many buttons you have to memorize and it utilizes maybe 60% of the keyboard, and the inventory is horrible to get into and move things around. 
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Because it is one of the better mods to come out in a long time, and it builds on a very solid game.

It is also better then WarZ(now infestation.whatitsface)

It is still not a great game... But very few mods (of TC's for that matter) are.

We will have to see the stand alone to decide if this is a good game or not.

This have been a good conversation

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351

Even those who praise the game agree with its greatest flaw: It is a mod of ARMA.

If it was a mod of any other FPS game, it would have probably been an amazing game.

Unfortunately, it's ARMA.

You said it best, "The main problem I had was the horrid UI more than anything else."

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

Not the worst UI I have ever played with, by far.

I liked the mod and had some fun with it until evading zombies became trivial and I had to learn about bullet drop and could only play when friends were online to have any fun.

Having "realistic" weapon mechanics is fine. But it was a bit of a steep learning curve for a reward that I could more easily get in other games.

So I probably played it for 100 hours and havent really had much reason to try out the mod again. There simply wasnt much replay value for me. Got to try most of the vehicles and all of the guns. Had some fun fights.. But then what?. I ran out of stuff to strive for. It was too simple to get your gear again if you happened to get killed.

I might try the mod again, since I have looked at the latest patch notes and it seems there is or will be a bit more stuff to do. And the Zeds have been buffed... Get me some of that cold sweat going.. 

And hopefully the standalone will have more long term goals than the mod. 

Aside from that DayZ is a great mod.. not quite DOTA standard.. but its a good one. And the Hype is only based on 73 votes. So it really means nothing.

• kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I enjoyed WarZ even with the bugs, though I didn't see any bugs in the hours I played, maybe if I had played day of release I might have found all those problems everyone was complaining about.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Because it was a lot of fun before the world discovered it and the only option when running into other players became kill or be killed. 
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

The only problem.. the biggest problem I had with Day Z was the rampart hacking and spawning of items and people. Hopefully the standalone will be better in that regard.

Other than that, this is the first game where I have actually loved perma death with loot. A feature I usually  loathe. I've had some positive and exciting experiences in Day Z I probably will never find in another game again.

One of them was me and a friend wanting to go to an airstrip and see if we could find some better equipment trying to sneak and not get caught out in the open. All the sudden we hear some shots in the distance and we immediately try and find some cover when suddenly my friend is wounded.

We crawl under a broken truck and just lie there for 5 mins, thinking somebody is going to come finish the job. My friend gets up to look around and is immediately killed. So I'm lying there trying to guard his corpse while he runs back for his things. I'm thinking whomever killed us is going to send his spotter down to collect the loot so I'm just waiting, real paranoid for somebody to show up with my AK47 ready.

After a few minutes I hear some Swedish chatter in the game, two guys talking using the in-game voice system and I can hear them closing in. They are looking around the truck when i crawl out for a better view and I get the drop on them both.

Not only was it an awesome experience to come across two PKers but that they used the ingame voice system, which you can hear if you are close enough just like two people talking in real life. Probably would have been smarter if they had used a third party program but it really lended to the immersive experience which I will never forget.

That's just one out of many cool experiences I have which includes random friendly team-ups and hostile encounters.

Another thing I really love about the game is the realistic bullet drop, wind adjustments and impact loss, you have to adjust to when sniping. I was using my brother as a spotter on a high ridge, trying to shoot a guy at a fairly long range. Using a DMR and trying to adjust with the mildots I got him in the second shot, while he was moving, which was a bit of a feat. for me. Haven't been able to pull of a shot like that since at that distance

Having said all this, it's fine if the OP doesn't like the game. It's not for everyone nor should it be

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by coretex666

Maybe because not everyone shares your opinion that the game is crappy.

That and I dont think he actually voted on the hype meter, Someone who did called it a piece of crap.. but that was 1 out of 20 post (as far as I bothered checking) the other 19 were positive to fanboy.

Now I didnt register my vote on the hype meter for this game. since Im not really sure how I feel about it yet.. (generally positive though). 

I just think its not horrendously crappy, and I know how the hype system works.. So thats 2 ways Im different from the OP

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Can't really disagree with your post OP, but I'd just like to say I also enjoyed the game for a good while. The things that made me stop playing were having to balance between two patches to make sure the game was always up to date.

Interaction with players can vary, some people actually enjoy to immerse themselves within the world. Which is very possible with the ideal group of people. Two or three friends is all you really need and you can have some solid fun, scavaging for supplies and taking the long treks into the dangers around.

With the standalone update there will be many feature updates and improvements. Roaming zombies in the forest, Improved AI of zombies as well as some stuff for the PvP. Different flagging systems to determine if someone is hostile or not. There's also talks of player made structure or shanty towns that will kinda work like "Safer'" zones where player killing should be a bit reduced in those defined parts.

From what I get it seems you see the game can be fun but just didn't have the best experience. This is why folks will suggest you get one or two friends to actually play with. Allowing you guys to communicate whether through the in-game VOIP (it's not the best currently) or something like TS3, or Mumble will increase your enjoyment of the game.

The game is a rough cut out of what Dean Hall (The guy that did the mod) envisioned with more time and actual assets to put into the design though. We should see a marked improvement from this to the standalone. I'd suggest maybe just keeping an eye out for that to release and it will eliviate some of the issues you have with the current game.

Either way.. Do you.. /shrug

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    Because it was a lot of fun before the world discovered it and the only option when running into other players became kill or be killed. 

Yea players sometimes are the reasons to why they stop enjoying their own fun. Getting caught up in a game like DayZ really isn't about the frags or your k/d ratio. I think some players took this mod as not so much a surivival zombie sim and more as just another run-n-gun CoD match. Which is horribly wrong in thinking.

Hopefully the standalone improvements and controlled servers they'll be launching will help that some. It's been suggested before to find the right server for you, whether it be private or not.

I think it's best to almost get your group of friends first, find the private / non-private server that seems to in line with how you want to play and then start up. Just joining any random server makes it a little harder to actually have a solid play session when you don't know if the players on it are about the gameplay or just about the fragging.

I do think the lack of actual danger from the elements and zombies makes it a bit easier to just get into a 'CoD' mindset when playing, so hopefully the standalone brings the right changes to tip the scale back towards the survival aspect and less on just player-killing.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

OP you have so much hate, I mean that's a pretty long rant about how much you dislike a game, why not just not play it, lots of people play it and enjoy it, and people can play what they like.

also world war z was pretty much a attempt to make money off the popularity of day z and steam kicked it out orrignally and most people wont play it, so your stero type that any gamme with zombies and guns will get tons of cash automaticly is fail.

P.S. im one of those care bear ya mentioned that has never played it, but I hate people who bash a game just cause they don't like it, instead of calling this and that crap explain why it is crap. the term horrible, crap and absolutely hysterical don't really lead to much eexplanation in any way or form.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Disatisfied9
    While I understand the IDEA of the game's design is a great IDEA, and the IDEA sounds like a blast- the game is nothing like the idea in any way. IMO, and in the opinion of thousands of players who wouldn't play this even if it is free, I don't understand the cult following it has massed.

Sure it isn't a large following, but it is indeed large enough to be considered a "cult following" number of fans. Fans of what? The idea? The actual horrendously designed griefing?

I think Day Z is a perfect example of what happens when you come up with unique and creative ideas, thinking it's going to work out like that but doesn't by a long shot, simply because human nature isn't taken into consideration

Dean Hall didn't want the game to turn into a frag fest and has/is trying to come up with ways to prevent the 'shoot first' scenario from happening. The problem is, his ideas of how to fix it is still not taking human nature into account.

The funny or not so funny part is, I can recognize a lot of what happens with Day Z to a lot of other discussions on message boards about other MMOs.  How the players want this or that feature or how games would be so much better if you could do this etc. Ideas are often great on paper but in the hands of random gamers, developers like Dean Hall really need to stop over-romantizise  how players react to certain conditions. If you are able to frag people on a whim people will do it plain and simple.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

@OP,

It's simply not a game for you. Now that we have that cleared, why do you care and come here asking us why game is so amazing?

You amaze me as so many you keep comming to forums that discuss games with free for all full loot permadeath and then start WHINING and CRYING about griefers and gankers WHY?

Go play BAMBI online and leave this kind of games to those who enjoy this kind of games seems simple enough right?

And you wont have to hurt your BAMBI(with fairytale thoughts) head over hardcore games anymore ok.

Happy sweet bambi times for you:)

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by StonesDK
    Originally posted by Disatisfied9

I think Day Z is a perfect example of what happens when you come up with unique and creative ideas, thinking it's going to work out like that but doesn't by a long shot, simply because human nature isn't taken into consideration

Dean Hall didn't want the game to turn into a frag fest and has/is trying to come up with ways to prevent the 'shoot first' scenario from happening. The problem is, his ideas of how to fix it is still not taking human nature into account.

The funny or not so funny part is, I can recognize a lot of what happens with Day Z to a lot of other discussions on message boards about other MMOs.  How the players want this or that feature or how games would be so much better if you could do this etc. Ideas are often great on paper but in the hands of random gamers, developers like Dean Hall really need to stop over-romantizise  how players react to certain conditions. If you are able to frag people on a whim people will do it plain and simple.

So why those it work on a server vanilla where you start with 1painkiller 1bandage nothing else no backpack eather and server is always packed and those who whine or cry about been shot as a fresh spawn nobody reply and they eventually leave?

Did this server took human nature in concideration prolly not but it still works perfectly hehe.

Seems rather succeful server to me.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I saw the E3 demo and the zombies were just as glitchy as the mod. So...unless that changes...I'll just stick with the mod, which actually the zombies have been fixed up a lot by the modders.

But dang, that alpha video (warz was alpha too and got hated on, while they did lie whereas dayz does not...it was still a horrid game)...from E3 looked horrible. The zombies were more glitchy than ever. And they added jumping zombies for some reason, with even more broken animations.

A TON of good mods for the Dayz Mod though :D and DayZ mod has been fixed up tons. A lot less hackers too.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

I don't like the game and either hate it.

I would love to have normal control like pressing E to pick up stuff on the ground.......

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~