Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What feature would EQN have to implement to make you go ‘OMG I can’t believe they did that’ ?

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Non consensual Pvp would make me go Wtf

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• greenblood82greenblood82 Member UncommonPosts: 29

For me it would be if eqnext didn't have dumbed down casual friendly gameplay.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    No class only a long list of skills from wich you choose some you want to develop.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Rhonen

"OMG I can't believe they DID That!"

Voluntarily discard half of their available player base (with either no pvp, or no way to avoid pvp).

Kind of the "I can't believe they voluntarily cut their own throat financially" disbelief.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by SneakyTurtle

I'd go ‘OMG I can’t believe they did that’

If EQN added the Drachnid as a playable race.. hehe *Spider lover here*

You would have loved playing a Spider Weaver in Lord of The Rings Online as part of the Monster Play Creeps

Spider Weaver: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Spider_Weaver

I played a Warg Stalker and played alongside a Spider Weaver named Abomination and I haven't had that much fun stalking Free People (Freeps) as I did in that game. Imagine that Lord of the Rings Online was released in 2007 by Turbine (same company behind Asheron's Call) and I played 2007 til 2009 I figure and I haven't had as much fun since I participated in Creeps vs Freeps play in that game. It wasn't easy to rank up a Creep as it required killing players which was so hard in the beginning that Creeps were so inferior and when they finally took down a Freep it was like a huge rush and everyone on Creep Side would go berserk and alot of compradery formed to the point where the Creeps organized with good strategies which resulted in some of the best Player vs Monster Player immersion I have ever experienced; I helped alot being the first Freep to 50 on that server and fighting against them made me really feel for their disadvantages and how long/hard they worked to overcome them before developers started taking notice and gave them some hard earned love and appreciation for how many hours many of the dedicated Creeps played dying repeatedly for weeks and months on end without regard.

I already posted in my thread along these lines and I believe this is the future of MMORPGs (players play all sides in a dynamic factional system)

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

The most amazing, and probably most unlikely change would be to implement an interesting, detailed system not based on hit points.   RPGs have been using hit points since the dawn of the genre, and nothing has come along that has taken hold.   Artificial HPs, and the related HP increase per level, are at the root of almost all mud-flation,  EQ1 and EQ2 have not been immune to this creeping rise in HPs.   A raid-equipped tank from the Kunark days simply doesn't compare to a generic solo-molo tank who is only online 3-4 hours a week.

I'd love to see a system for simulating the human body that doesn't rely on HPs.   I'd absolutely love it and be completely boggled by it; I just don't see EQNext delivering that.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Mendel

I'd love to see a system for simulating the human body that doesn't rely on HPs.   I'd absolutely love it and be completely boggled by it; I just don't see EQNext delivering that.

RuneQuest did rely on health but it was seperated to body parts

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Dullahan

We really shouldn't be that shocked by completely open world, but here we are in 2013 and everyone is lining up to take the easy way out.

I'd just be blown away if they could make a world as immersive as classic Everquest.  That means no instances, no instant travel, a dangerous world, challenging content that severely limits soloing, and so on and so forth.

I agree with some of this ^.  I would very much like EQN to be like EQ1 in having no instant travel (pre-pop), a dangerous world & challenging content that limits soloing, but I do not fully agree with no instancing.  No instances creates a lot of problems in MMOs.  SOE learned that and eventually made raids instanced.  Having raids not instanced turns players against players and cuts out end game play for 90% of the population.  Everyone should have the ability to try raid content.  Not everyone will beat it, but they should have the ability to try..  Elitists always have some defence on why they deserve the exclusive right to raid content in this way but the truth is that most players cannot afford to play games 24/7 or wake up at 3:00am to hit a raid target. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Nadia

omg RQ...no, please just no. Might as well drag the Rolemaster out. Critical systems survived (just barely) into the dawn of the mmo era (Unreal Tournament and "boom headshot!").

Just shovel on another mound of dirt and leave them well and happily buried, imo.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Nadia

omg RQ...no, please just no. Might as well drag the Rolemaster out. Critical systems survived (just barely) into the dawn of the mmo era (Unreal Tournament and "boom headshot!").

Just shovel on another mound of dirt and leave them well and happily buried, imo.

Agreed.   Critical hits were almost unusable as a gaming system.

And RuneQuest (at least in the Chaosium Games version -- I can't attest to the Avalon Hills version) used HPs, just a relatively fixed number of HPs per hit location.   I did love the look on players faces when a +2 Left Greave was in the loot pile one day/

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

"What feature would EQN have to implement to make you go ‘OMG I can’t believe they did that’ ?"

An MMO that is actually interesting and enjoyable to play to the point of actually wanting to play it longer than a month.

Oh yeah, I just went there.

To those who will fly off the handle at such a remark, it isn't because it is SOE (Although I do view them as a pretty terrible company), it is that there hasn't been a truly innovative, interesting, and deeply enjoyable MMO made in a good 5-6 years now (maybe longer). So at this point it would amaze me if anyone ever did so again.

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Stylized cartoony graphics, that would kill the immersion for me and i would not buy it.

You may not be buying it then..

• MalagarrMalagarr Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by LateBrake1

For me it would be a NON-INSTANCED full Collision Detection implemented would.

I’m tired of seeing the canned response of ‘Well we can’t have 50 people fighting over 1 mob now can we?(snicker, snicker)’. The 50 people fighting over one mob is more a limit of the your world size and  your tech not being able to handle a non-instanced world now isn’t it?

I live in a city of 1,000,000 but I can still get away into the hills, mountains, and go to the heart of the city and my world is not instanced. Developers seem to have forgotten the Massively part of MMO.

Let’s say you had a player made towns, well as more and more people arrived people would build on the outskirts and the town would expand to handle it and so on and so on until people could get around.

Instancing has been a staple of MMO’s lately but with that a certain level of immersion has been lost as your put into instanced copy #28 of the game world.  

So that’s the one thing I would love to see them pull off. It’s not new, if fact it’s old, EQ1 had no instances but the technology to pull it off now has to be cutting edge and I’m not sure we’re there yet but if EQN did pull it off I would say ‘OMG I can’t believe they did that!’.

I'd be all for that, assuming they have multiple servers or a game world that really is large enough to create a true sense of wilderness.  The reason most MMOs move to instancing is because so far no one has been able to develop a world that was truly large enough to feel real.  In fact, most zones are the size of a couple of city blocks at the most.  If you can run from one end to another in ten minutes, you have a one square mile zone.  Rhode Island is a little over 1,500 square miles.  I think you see my point.

As for what would hook me?  A real, intricately involved, complex crafting system that didn't require killing mobs to gather components and could be used to craft top tier equipment.  That would sell me.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Giving my Paladin dual weild!

That would make me dance a jig, the cabbage patch and the Stu all at the same time. No, there is no Stu, I would have made it up at that exact moment.

I would love if EQN at least had a flexible enough costume tab to allow for any weapon and armor to be shown on any class.
  • AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Swing motion combat with weapon collision. SoEMote to cast spells and PS Move to swing/run and VR screen to see I would be speechless... well until I needed to cast a spell on the move :)

Are you wanting this sort of weapon collision to be focused around a first person or third person view? It seems like this type design would favor much more heavily from a first-person combat perspective.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    Dodgeable missiles and spells a la Asheron's Call.  Trainable run speed (not everyone run at the same speed).

Doubt this would make a comeback but alas it would make for a great game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• tedgartedgar Member Posts: 52
    I would go OMG..... If there was Thievery  stealth and hiding... if one steal from another player i would leave every other game and play it and pay as much  as i can.Was hopping Eso would do thievery but it to looks like it going to be a time waster while the game holds your hand and walks you through its mechanics. I guess i Am wishing it would be more like Ultima Online Renaissance. I would cream too see a good graphical game with those thieving bastards arround bank making ppl mad that they lost there non soul bound item and now it on a auction house for the thief to make money
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Death of the TANK, Meatshield etc

No taunts, no aggro transfers, maximum threat dependent on number of people attacking:

2 people - max threat 75%

3 people - max threat 66% min threat 15%

4 people - max threat 55% min threat 10%

5 people - max threat 45% min threat 10%

6 people - max threat 33% min threat  10%

Threat == the chance of being the target for the next attack by the MOB or Boss.

Defensive bonuses for having another player on your flank (side), defense bonus for having a wall on one side.

... and so on.  Shield walls defensive lines, discipline not dancing.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    No in game GPS.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by thedood123
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Stylized cartoony graphics, that would kill the immersion for me and i would not buy it.

1. Its free anyways

2. At the 2011 (or 2010) fan fair they said that they were going for a more stylized graphics and its evident in the leaked animation reel as well UNLESS they changed their mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzSqBYg-xOE around 4:40 to 5:00

"We're not looking for photo-realism, we're gonna do something more stylized"

Ugh. I really hope this got changed along with the design

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by stayBlind
    No in game GPS.

I would prefer a cartography skill that would allow you to make maps to sell to other players - you could map the world by exploring and then craft the maps. Players could then equip the maps and have a general idea where they are going. Also, you be able to use the map, bring back sense heading. So basically give use the lil GPS style map window where all we can see is our dot on a black background. Equip a map and GPS window changes to our dot on a map of the area, but depending on sense heading skill, your dot wont always be heading in the direction you think you are going (or just make the map randomly spin while you move like a broken compass).

This would give people a different soft of crafting class, a map system for those who want it and are willing to work for it and the sense heading skill could make a come back!

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• iFruitiFruit Member UncommonPosts: 98
    OMG I won't believe it if there's actually some FACTS announced about the game. So far it's just a speculating trollfest
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Voice recognition. Being able to cast magic missile by screaming MAGIC MISSILE into my microphone, much to the lament of my group members in voice chat.
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Voice recognition. Being able to cast magic missile by screaming MAGIC MISSILE into my microphone, much to the lament of my group members in voice chat.

Bob: "So when you combine the -"

Evil: "MAGIC MISSLE!!"

Bob: "...."

Bob: "As I was saying, just combin-"

Evil: "MAGIC MISSLE!!"

Tom: "Dude..."

Evil: "THUNDER BOLT!! THUNDERBOLT!!"

Bob: "What the fu-"

Evil: "MAGIC MISS-"

*Evil has been kicked from the server*

Bob: "Anyway, when you combine the reagents..."

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"