Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If a single character can switch between a bunch of professions, does storing gear for so many profe

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350

There are two real questions here:

1)  Is it practical to carry gear for a bunch of different professions around with you at all times?

2)  If the answer to the first part is "no", is there ample storage so that you can have good gear for all of your professions, but just not carry the gear for all of your professions with you all of the time?

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    They have an armory that is huge and only for gear that you carry with you.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    They have an armory that is huge and only for gear that you carry with you.

To supplement this, the armory chest is a system whereby you are give an extra 25 slots for each type of equipable item in the game.  These are not a part of your 100 inventory slots, and only armor pertaining to that type is allowed in each section.

With roughly eight classes, this means you can store three entire sets pertaining to each class without taking up any inventory space.  You also are able to store items in your retainers (able to hire multiple retainers) that have about 175 storage slots.  In addition your inn will also have storage, and your house will also likely have storage whenever you buy it.

To put it bluntly, this game has the most storage and inventory slots available of any game I've ever played.  It even exceeds Ultima Online which just had a bag you could put more and more into until you hit a weight limit.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928
    To add on to that, the armor for each class can be saved as a set. Sets allow you to switch class/job without having to individually re-equip your gear. It allows you to change class and armor with just a click of a button.
  • ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    I like how easy they made it with the armory. This definitely isn't going to be a problem.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    My goodness what a fabulous system .I am going for White Mage / Bard so I can switch between the two with nary a worry. Thanks for the explanation on the armoury.
    Chamber of Chains
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    And you can save multiple armor sets!
  • paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240

Yes it truly is a great system.  The Armoury system works similar to how it was in FFXI, however you can change at any time - but there you had extremely limited storage capacity and it became really frustrating with multiple jobs.

The Armoury Chest allows you to store 25 items of each equippable piece of Armour - 25 Hand Items, 25 leg items etc

I really love how you can also easily save Complete sets allowing you to change class/job or just gear in an instant.

The only thing which is slightly annoying is that there's no sorting options in the Armoury Chest or Inventory yet - hope it's on the todo list!

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    The only problem with the current layout is that it's hard to get a clear look of every armor in your bag. You have to look at every item category (legs, feet, hands...) individually.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350

Whether there are storage problems depends both on how much storage you get and also on how much storage you need.  Only having 500 storage slots for a character would be a big problem in A Tale in the Desert, for example, even though that much storage would be effectively infinite in a lot of games.

How many items for each slot of gear does a single class really need?  Is there no real point in having more than one item in a given slot for a given class?  Or will you usually want to switch between several, even for a single class?  Will you commonly use a single piece of gear on several different classes?  (My understanding is that this is impossible for weapons, but I don't know about other gear slots.)  Does it make a difference in this regard if the class in question is combat, crafting, or gathering?

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Whether there are storage problems depends both on how much storage you get and also on how much storage you need.  Only having 500 storage slots for a character would be a big problem in A Tale in the Desert, for example, even though that much storage would be effectively infinite in a lot of games.

How many items for each slot of gear does a single class really need?  Is there no real point in having more than one item in a given slot for a given class?  Or will you usually want to switch between several, even for a single class?  Will you commonly use a single piece of gear on several different classes?  (My understanding is that this is impossible for weapons, but I don't know about other gear slots.)  Does it make a difference in this regard if the class in question is combat, crafting, or gathering?

I really don't see any point in a class having more than one optimal set.  Though once you get an advanced job, you might have two different sets for the class and the job.  This is because the Job is an advanced team version of that class and has a designated party role.  Therefore a Paladin will likely focus on more defense, whereas the Gladiator more offense when soloing.

After leveling from 1-20 on quests, barely 35 slots will be filled in your bag if you didn't sell anything.  Therefore you should have ample inventory given that you still have ample room in your bags, the Inn storage, retainer storage and your house in the future.  Not to mention that you will have eight characters per server with a standard payment model.

Yoshi-P probably wouldn't be adverse to increasing storage if it becomes a problem.  He's been known to do stuff like that, and the Armory chest is in fact in the game due to player feedback when it came to inventory space.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Thanks for the answers.  Some game designers create a bunch of classes but never seem to consider that someone might want to play several of them.  It sounds like Square has at least tried to accommodate it by making class switching easy.
  • LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    The armory system it has now is amazing. I have everything at 50 and I'm not even close to being filled up. I don't see inventory as ever being a problem.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    The inventory is one of the best things about FFXIV imo.  Especially in this age of F2P where bag space is sold :P.  I mean right off the bat they give you a lot of inventory space.  Now I'm sure it won't be hard to fill up if you try doing everything at once but well what do you expect?