Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you want EQN to come to the PS4? Poll

thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150

Do you want the Everquest Next to come to the PS4? Poll Below

I know there was a thread about would you get it for the PS4 or PC but I am just curious how people feel in general if THEY had to decide whether for it to be on the console or not.

Discuss here what you think the positives and negatives would be from both, and your opinions... please refrain from telling people their wrong... its all friendly speculation here

Comments

• dustmaster91dustmaster91 Member Posts: 4
    Yes! of course.
  • wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

A concern of mine is how they will universally translate all content to both platforms.

Since both platforms have benefits and drawbacks, some being polar opposites of the other (managing a complex inventory on a PS4 vs. a PC - give me a mouse and keyboard please).  

If the primary goal of all new content is to satisfy both platforms, it is a concern knowing that if I pick PC as a platform, the content will need to be modified to also work well on a PS4.  While there will probably be a lot of work done to make this seamless, a targeted  PC or PS4  game wouldn't need to consider this - optimize for target platform.  This means more work for integration and less for development.

With that said, i'm sure they will do an amazing job.  My vote was, 'don't care' - as I am an avid PC user.  Also 'don't care' as Smedley has eluded to the fact that the PS4 and PC servers will be separated if this platform is supported.

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by wizardanim

A concern of mine is how they will universally translate all content to both platforms.

Since both platforms have benefits and drawbacks, some being polar opposites of the other (managing a complex inventory on a PS4 vs. a PC - give me a mouse and keyboard please).  

If the primary goal of all new content is to satisfy both platforms, it is a concern knowing that if I pick PC as a platform, the content will need to be modified to also work well on a PS4.  While there will probably be a lot of work done to make this seamless, a targeted  PC or PS4  game wouldn't need to consider this - optimize for target platform.  This means more work for integration and less for development.

With that said, i'm sure they will do an amazing job.  My vote was, 'don't care' - as I am an avid PC user.  Also 'don't care' as Smedley has eluded to the fact that the PS4 and PC servers will be separated if this platform is supported.

Yeah I was wondering this myself... when you really think about it, it makes me half doubt that it will come to the PS4 despite all the factors and things that have built up to it. I will have to try it on PC and on PS4 before I decide which to play however. I am really leaning towards PS4 though... the idea of playing on a console is much cooler to me.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I have  no concerns for them being on both PC and PS4 seeing as the PS4 for all intent and purpose's is a mid range PC, its just a case of having a good  engine with scalability.  

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If the PS4 can withstand years of patch work AND expansions/DLC,then Im fine with it.

If it is going to hold the MMO back in any way,then Im not ok with it.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Don't care as long as they aren't cross platform. I could see them using the same basic world but have different mechanics and "visions" for each. Hopefully multi-platforms would bring in enough $ to afford more devs to compensate instead of splitting the team and having less focus on either.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    I played final fantasy on my xbox for several years it was ok I think I prefer mmo's on the pc the mouse and keyboard just make it easier.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Abimor
    I played final fantasy on my xbox for several years it was ok I think I prefer mmo's on the pc the mouse and keyboard just make it easier.

Not only easier but more intuitive and more immersive.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• oGMooGMo Member UncommonPosts: 89

Seriously? You can attach a kbd and mouse to a console ... even a ps2 with ffxi supported that.

Plus, sustain updates? The thing has more ram than a PC+gpu and MMO's rarely update their engines (eq2, bitter). I would worry more about having to upgrade your PC at launch to support it at max settings.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

Personally, I don't care anything about ps4.

If it is a good mmo, true to the eq1 experience, then great.

If they streamline and cheapen Everquest to make it more console friendly, they are only hurting themselves in the long run. I know I won't have time for it. My experience with console mmos have been less than stellar, not saying it can't be done, just saying that it has not at this point in time.

long story short, I don't care. I do care about Everquest, but if they drive the name into the dirt, I'll always have the memories.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I do not care how many people they try to reach with it, so console is fine, but if they have to make even 1 compromise to do so, then no.  I would rather them focus 100% on the PC version myself, since that is what I will be playing, but if they don't have to compromise at all, and just have a different UI, then it could be good for the game, as more players means more money, which means more content...

So it all comes down to if they have to make any compromises, or take away time that would of made the PC version better.

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Im pretty surprised at the results of about a 3 way tie between indifferent no and yes... interesting
  • dalingrindalingrin Member Posts: 14
    Before playing the Final Fantasy XIV ARR beta, I would have said no to EQN on PS4. But now, I'd be perfectly fine with a console version being made. I'm continually surprised how well FFXIV plays with a controller. Meanwhile, the mouse/keyboard controls do not feel compromised.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Yes, there is honestly no disadvantage to SOE to bring it to the console.  Most of the disadvantages now are imagined by others.
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by AIMonster
    Yes, there is honestly no disadvantage to SOE to bring it to the console.  Most of the disadvantages now are imagined by others.

Could not have said it better myself mate.  A larger audience is never a bad thing for an oversaturated market that is pc mmo gaming atm.  I believe too many assume that you cannot hook a keyboard and mouse to a ps4, even though you have been able to with the ps2, ps3, and soon the ps4.  The graphics argument is moot since pc games have graphics engines that are scalable typically way below and above the ps4's capabilities.  I fail to see any negatives.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

No, the PS4 only lives for one generation, the PC lives forever. This will only cause Problems.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by dalingrin
    Before playing the Final Fantasy XIV ARR beta, I would have said no to EQN on PS4. But now, I'd be perfectly fine with a console version being made. I'm continually surprised how well FFXIV plays with a controller. Meanwhile, the mouse/keyboard controls do not feel compromised.

I had a lot of doubts on how well a mmorpg could be done on a console, let alone crossplatform until I saw a video the devs did of basic gameplay with a controller.

While I would give keyboard/mouse the upper hand in speed/ease, the UI didn't look to need too much of a change to work well with a controller.

Being I don't own a PS3 and am not a huge console gamer, I hadn't see the Wireless Keypad attachment. While not the most comfortable looking addon, it would serve for communicating, which was my biggest concern with a PS4 version of EQN.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by tank017

If the PS4 can withstand years of patch work AND expansions/DLC,then Im fine with it.

If it is going to hold the MMO back in any way,then Im not ok with it.

PS2 and 360 had 10 years of expansions and updates for final fantasy 11

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Abimor

Not only easier but more intuitive and more immersive.

thats a matter of opinion, cuz i feel more immersed using a gamepad and more comfortable. After playing mmos like FFXIV, GW2, and neverwinter with a gamepad i cant go back to keyboard and mouse other than to chat.

• dalingrindalingrin Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Allein

I had a lot of doubts on how well a mmorpg could be done on a console, let alone crossplatform until I saw a video the devs did of basic gameplay with a controller.

While I would give keyboard/mouse the upper hand in speed/ease, the UI didn't look to need too much of a change to work well with a controller.

Being I don't own a PS3 and am not a huge console gamer, I hadn't see the Wireless Keypad attachment. While not the most comfortable looking addon, it would serve for communicating, which was my biggest concern with a PS4 version of EQN.

Yeah, I think FFXIV is showing that a console/gamepad can very comfortably handle 24 abilities and almost as easily handle 48 abilities.

For those not familar: You hold down either left or right trigger + press one of 8 face buttons. That is 16 abilities. Now, left+right trigger is another 8(24 total). Pressing R1 toggles to another set of 24 for a total 48 abilities. 

Careful planning of the UI allows you to use a controller without doing some type of mouse emulation as seen in FFXIV as well. Though I guess you could just use the touchpad on the DS4 controller but I prefer the FFXIV UI system.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by wizardanim

DCUO is on PC and PS3, same content, same everything. It was meant for consoles from scratch, you can tell by looking at the UI. As for EQN, it is a PC game with PC UI so if they do a console version they will most likely have a console UI for consoles while keeping their more traditional UI for PC. They would have same content just like DCUO, and different UI hopefully

Originally posted by Allein

Yeah, I think FFXIV is showing that a console/gamepad can very comfortably handle 24 abilities and almost as easily handle 48 abilities.

For those not familar: You hold down either left or right trigger + press one of 8 face buttons. That is 16 abilities. Now, left+right trigger is another 8(24 total). Pressing R1 toggles to another set of 24 for a total 48 abilities. 

Careful planning of the UI allows you to use a controller without doing some type of mouse emulation as seen in FFXIV as well. Though I guess you could just use the touchpad on the DS4 controller but I prefer the FFXIV UI system.

They made it so ingenious that they patented it just like their ATB system from their other games.  So now if another developer wants to use it they need to get permission from SE and pay them for it.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Definitely not. UI will be horrid. Also other restrictions from ports always occur. DCUO.... port was horrid. Controls on kb/mouse made the game close to unplayable. Oh wait unless you want to use a controller on your PC...
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by thedood123

Do you want the Everquest Next to come to the PS4? Poll Below

I know there was a thread about would you get it for the PS4 or PC but I am just curious how people feel in general if THEY had to decide whether for it to be on the console or not.

Discuss here what you think the positives and negatives would be from both, and your opinions... please refrain from telling people their wrong... its all friendly speculation here

Nope it's never gonna happen and by some really slim chance it does then fail I wont be bothering to pay to play it. EQ was brilliant in the early days and it was written for PC and imo that's why it worked. I'm really getting pissed off with all this console crap being thrown at every game that gets aired.

IMO MMO's should remain true to mouse and k/board and if by some chance they do develop them I just hope they don't allow cross platform gaming.

Asbo

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I think that bringing it to PS4 will actually have benefits for the PC users as well, tightening up the programming & getting the game to run far more efficiently will pay off dividends such as better memory control & reduced footprint leaving PC users with high end systems more room to upscale the graphics while also letting lower spec pc users run the game with nice frame rates.

The desktop & console platforms will have separate servers & mostly down to input control methods, I don't think the PC/MAC game will suffer UI hamstringing as much as people fear it will, good design is perfectly capable of delivering the game to 2 different control schemes & user bases.

More platforms opens up the game to more revenue & therefore potentially a bigger & faster development of the game post-launch, more time spent on the engine & getting it running on more than 1 platform also breeds expertise with the engine & increases the range of things the programmers can get it to do.

So I'm voting yes, I'm optimistic about the game being multi-platform & think it will prove to be a smart move in the long run, indeed I hope that the game will support PC, MAC, PS4, XB1 (perhaps after a short PS4 exclusivity term) & maybe more.