Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Marvel Heroes: MMO-lite

13»

Comments

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    No mention of the incredibly long loading screens?
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I am still having fun, but I don't play it everyday. I played games I liked a lot everyday when I younger.  I found I hit this wall where I just decided to sit back and enjoy the ride.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Now someone should make "Marvel Villains" and let me play as trickster mage Loki with clones, teleport, shapeshifting, minions, powerful nukes and shiny throwing knives, kthxbai. :D
  • OtakkunOtakkun Member Posts: 11

Great idea ... crappy game.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Talin

If they added some solid content and "end game" options post-storyline completion, the game would retain a lot more people.

The "end game" starts around L30 (first time you down Doom). Beyond that, it's endless repetition.

Think Diablo; except with one Act.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CaptFabulousCaptFabulous Member UncommonPosts: 36

Wow, it seems to me you went in completely clueless and came out the same way. Almost as if you had preconceived notions that you weren't going to like it. Anti-shill?

It's not a classic RPG or MMORPG, it's an action RPG or ARPG, in the same vein as Diablo or Torchlight. It's as if you've never played, or even heard of those games before. So that whole long rant on this topic was pretty much pointless.

And I for one am glad I don't have to make my own character. Cause for once I can play the characters I like, instead of having to create my own knockoff character called Thundergod or Feenix. Again, another completely clueless rant.

Where does MMORPG.com get these "reviewers" from anyway? It's like they've all lived under a rock for the past 15 years.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by CaptFabulous

Wow, it seems to me you went in completely clueless and came out the same way. Almost as if you had preconceived notions that you weren't going to like it. Anti-shill?
    It's not a classic RPG or MMORPG, it's an action RPG or ARPG, in the same vein as Diablo or Torchlight. It's as if you've never played, or even heard of those games before. So that whole long rant on this topic was pretty much pointless.
    And I for one am glad I don't have to make my own character. Cause for once I can play the characters I like, instead of having to create my own knockoff character called Thundergod or Feenix. Again, another completely clueless rant.
    Where does MMORPG.com get these "reviewers" from anyway? It's like they've all lived under a rock for the past 15 years.

Well, by you own admission, since it is not an MMORPG anyway, it shouldn't even appear on this site. So why complain about a bad review, when it does not even deserve to be on here? (And really, they should tighten up the definition of what is considered an MMO for the purposes of being on this site, because right now, there are so many "multiplayer" games out there now that the definition of MMO has lost almost all meaning.)
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Something to note, is the auto grouper stops functioning for "end-game" content. Also known as dailies.
  • TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by moosecatlol
    Something to note, is the auto grouper stops functioning for "end-game" content. Also known as dailies.

Not completely - it works on the lower level 'end game' consoles - the green ones - I don't really understand why they don't have it all the way through, it's like they suddenly decided 'oh we should make people team at some point'.

The auto-grouping thing is a blessing and a curse - it makes the game amazingly casual; you don't need friends to play - heck you don't even need to say 'hello' to auto-grouped members, most auto-groups form and dissolve without a word being said and don't last more than a single mission.

If it wasn't for the occasional dispute between Boss-Rushers vs Map-Clearers or the odd idiot that insta-kicks you from their team because they didn't want an auto-team but haven't worked out how to turn the option off, you could be forgiven for thinking the other team members were nothing but NPCs with slightly erratic AI, provided purely so un-social types aren't locked out of the end game.

For an hour of no-commitment blasting, it has its place and I've enjoyed it for that; but even with all the other players around, it doesn't encourage you to interact with them - almost the reverse.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    reading comments here i understand most of the people who are commenting didn't play marvel ultimate alliance. this game is just re-skinned marvel ultimate alliance. lame.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43
    Havent seen any adds on this game so the score didnt suprise me. 
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

When they announced the Binary costume for Ms. Marvel, I almost gave this game a shot (what can I say, that costume makes me tingly).

But, as I have both UA games on my PSP, I'll stick with those.

Aside: Notice how the majority of the original Diablo 1/2 devs have failed in their endeavors since those successes? Flukes?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• MisalignedMisaligned Member UncommonPosts: 45
    It seems like a decent game, for what it is, but I got bored of it after several hours.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Timassin
    This has more build options then mmorpgs. You can skill how ever you in what ever trees. Mmorpgs are 95% have 2 builds per char that everyone puts the same points in.

You still have to use their avatar instead of one of your own.  So what ever you call it, it is NOT a MMO in any shape or form

• HoliceHolice Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989 

On their own website it states that the game is not classified as an MMORPG, yet here it is on your list as an MMORPG. These games are not MMO's they're Action RPG's.

They are MMOARPG's. Why are people getting hung up about a term being used? It is a massive game(or will be when its done with its 1-60 content), its multiplayer(unlike diablo where 100 people can't all kill the same world boss), and its online.

What is the issue here?

• jtravisjtravis Member UncommonPosts: 24

"My biggest gripe with this game (aside from the fact that it isn’t really an MMO, or an RPG) is that you can’t create your own original character."

Once again, Marvel demonstrates it's utter ignorance of the online game player market. They did the same thing with the (long defunct) PnP RPG. You're playing in Their Universe, so you must play Their Characters, Their Way. Game developers should really stop wasting their development time on this IP.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    reading comments here i understand most of the people who are commenting didn't play marvel ultimate alliance. this game is just re-skinned marvel ultimate alliance. lame.

I strongly disagree, while at its core it may be the same marvel ultimate alliance was a MUCH better game and I played the shit out of it.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Did diablo or PoE let you customize your character ? Do any ARPGs ?
  • BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

The game is a lot of fun, at least I think so.. when it works properly. Me and many others have issues with FPS drops, freezing and game lag even though we are well over the minimum reqs. to play the game. 

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by jesteralways

That's an insult to Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. MUA was far more immersive and fun, with actual destructible environments and talent trees than had actual impact on the characters. MH is a sham.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Did diablo or PoE let you customize your character ? Do any ARPGs ?

Torchlight 2. And to some degree, Path of Exile.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• UncleanOutcast13UncleanOutcast13 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Originally posted by VikingGamer

yeah, it is pretty much Diablo with shared maps and auto grouped boss levels but it is fun and it is the game that I might have hoped D3 could have been.

What?! If D3 was so bad how is this the game it should be?

• ZellmontZellmont Member Posts: 1

all I can say about the reviewer and most of the people commenting is wow...most of you clearly don't know what you are talking about to have the gripes you have. As for all the commotion about this being an mmorpg, it isn't...end story. It IS an mmoarpg however, and fits very well in the genre. Let me break it down for you.

MMO as everyone on here should know stands for massively multiplayer online. So what does that actually mean? Well a multiplayer can best be described as a 2-10 player game. Massively multiplayer means multiplayer on a larger scale. In MH 100 ppl can be fighting the same world boss so that definitely qualifies it for being massively multiplayer and it is also definitely online thus it does in fact deserve to be described as an mmo despite what many of you are griping about.

Next we have the ARPG aspect of the genre. Well basically anyone who knows their arpg can tell ya that for the most part(def some exceptions to this) that means its a diablo-like title. Is this in fact a diablo-like title? Ofcourse it is, and nobody is arguing that point so why is it apparently so difficult for so many to be able to fit this into the mmoarpg genre where it belongs?

Another major gripe that I been seeing is the whining over, "I don't get to make my own character" and a lack of customizability. This is another gripe that for the genre seems very out of place. Diablo 1, 2 ,3 were the same as well as MANY other arpg titles, so to whine over that seems very out of place for this genre. There are some arpg's that stand apart from that but that is what is meant to stand them apart. That's not what this title set out to do at all. As it stands, Diablo 2 you had a chose of 5 characters to chose from, MH has 20+ with plans to keep adding more. Most of the heroes have 4 costumes or more so definitely out does many of the other ARPG's out there as it is.

Further more on the not creating your OWN character gripe, look to many of the complaints about DCUO. A LOT of ppl were and are upset that they are playing a super hero/villain knock off and not the actual heroes/villains. I for one love being Wolverine and not a Wolverine knock off. This game was made for THOSE gamers. And it was known from the outset that this game was to be based that way so a nonsensical gripe given what the game set out to be.

The only real gripe that I have seen as being reasonable at all is the lack of content. It is quick to beat and not much after you do. That is very true. But we ain't talking about the same deal as diablo 2 where you could spend years developing the title before release. Games are rarely in development very long(especially online ones) before initial release. This game is still very early on and it easy to see them releasing more content without any real difficulty. So while this is a legitimate concern it is one that I feel will be seen to in the not too distant future.

See the game for what it is and its a wonderful title especially the "free" aspect. I am quite enjoying this game but I also didn't look for it to be something it isn't but took it for what it was. Far better experience that the utter disappointment that is D3 for sure.