Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 is a success no matter how you feel about it.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Rusque

If only it were as interesting in practice as it is on paper.

You don't have to pay attention to your skills, you only have a handful of skills to use, and you can have them all unlocked by level 3/4. Not only do you have a small amount of skills, but you can generally kill anything with only 1-3 of them! So no, you don't have to think much at all.

Yes, dodging exists and it does matter for escaping those big blows. And it doesn't take much to do so. I'll be fair and honest and say that dodging is actually done well in GW2, but it doesn't prevent the combat from being generally dull.

GW2 is not engaging, and yes I've unlocked every skill on every class with the Ele being the most involved class since you can switch between schools of magic. And even then, there is little synergy between the schools AND spells cooldown so quickly that it's often slower and more work to kill mobs creatively than it is to just quickly spam them to death with a few basic skills.

Anyway, you feel it's engaging, that's fine enjoy it. I personally feel that it's one of the most shallow combat experiences you can get these days.

Wow.. you never bothered to look at the secondary or even tertiary effects of skills? Most of your skills are "best" used situationally due to secondary effects (applying, removing boons/conditions for example). Range matters, as does LoS. Traits add additional effects to the skills, and even dodging can be used offensively if you trait for it. 

As far as "I've unlocked every skill no every class"... I'm going to have to admit to having a healthy dose of skepticism there. You call the most involved due to attunement switching but then claim to not see the synergies and elementalist has? The more you say the less you seem to know. Hell, we haven't even talked about being able to actually cast on the move. GW2 provides one of the most active, flowing combat systems to date.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by kjempff
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Lets face it GW2 is the rare gem that manage to break the WOW mold and made it B2P with monthly updates far more worthy than the traditional pay to use/sub model.

Yes I know some people dont enjoy GW2 and thats perfectly fine thats just human nature, we all can't enjoy the same thing that would be absurb, but you cant say GW2 i not a success in MMORPG industry.

Is GW2 success such a bad thing in grand scheme of it all?

I dont think so, GW2 made a dent that WoW clones are not the absolute in MMO there are rooms for changes and improvements. 

I must be thinking about games in different ways than You Gw2 lovers. The Gw2 I played did not break the WoW mold at all, it was WoW taken to the next level, more WoW than WoW will ever be. Maybe I don't put as much into specific features but more to the overall feel of the game, and if the WoW I left for good was the defintion of Themepark, Gw2 just took this definition and doubled up. As much as I like alot of the technical features in Gw2, as a whole the game feels hollow to me. 

I would have loved to see another kind of game in that beatiful world and much better uses of all those nice mechanics. With that in mind it has failed to be something for me, but it surely is a success to others. I think Gw2 presented some interesting technical ideas, but I hope those who copy these will not copy the formula, which a continuation of the last 10 years Themepark trend (aka WoW cloning).

Rift is more like WoW - where you go from one quest hub to the next in a Rail fashion. GW2 does not do any of that or do you have to.

Please stop with the 'WoW clone'talk because WoW is a clone of the games that came before it.....

I must be thinking about games in different ways than You Gw2 lovers. The Gw2 I played did not break the WoW mold at all, it was WoW taken to the next level, more WoW than WoW will ever be. Maybe I don't put as much into specific features but more to the overall feel of the game, and if the WoW I left for good was the defintion of Themepark, Gw2 just took this definition and doubled up. As much as I like alot of the technical features in Gw2, as a whole the game feels hollow to me. 

I would have loved to see another kind of game in that beatiful world and much better uses of all those nice mechanics. With that in mind it has failed to be something for me, but it surely is a success to others. I think Gw2 presented some interesting technical ideas, but I hope those who copy these will not copy the formula, which a continuation of the last 10 years Themepark trend (aka WoW cloning).

Ugh... the WoW clone fallacy with a complete lack of comparisons as to how GW2 is in any way a WoW clone. Again. Seriously, if you're going to go down that road and expect to have a shred of credibility you're going to have to come up with a list of comparisons, otherwise you look like nothing more than an ill-informed hater.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Lets face it GW2 is the rare gem that manage to break the WOW mold and made it B2P with monthly updates far more worthy than the traditional pay to use/sub model.

Yes I know some people dont enjoy GW2 and thats perfectly fine thats just human nature, we all can't enjoy the same thing that would be absurb, but you cant say GW2 i not a success in MMORPG industry.

I dont think so, GW2 made a dent that WoW clones are not the absolute in MMO there are rooms for changes and improvements. 

I stopped reading right there no point in arguing with you with that kind of statement.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Clearly, some people make it a life mission to go after specific games. But such has always been the case.

Yet without Defenders to combat, they would wither away in frustration. All a part of the same dance.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    I'm always amused when people say GW2 doesn't have "meaningful crafting", since it's basically the only theme park MMORPG where you can craft the best gear of the game and also aren't required to raid with an army of other people to do so.

Yup, it does not have meaningful crafting. Just make sure you have crap you need and press button to craft it. Even Lotro had better crafting. Seen worse than GW2 but GW2 crafting is still bloody brainless.

Originally posted by Piiritus
    I'm always amused when people say GW2 doesn't have "meaningful crafting", since it's basically the only theme park MMORPG where you can craft the best gear of the game and also aren't required to raid with an army of other people to do so.

Yup, it does not have meaningful crafting. Just make sure you have crap you need and press button to craft it. Even Lotro had better crafting. Seen worse than GW2 but GW2 crafting is still bloody brainless.

You're going to have to share what definition of "meaningful" you're using then. I have 400 tailoring, 400 jewelry making, 400 cooking, 400 artificing... I can fully equip my clothies with new exotics whenever I choose. I didn't even have to make 500 pieces o' crap along the way to get there. To me, that's meaningful crafting. So please, tell us what you think "meaningful" is.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

You're going to have to share what definition of "meaningful" you're using then. I have 400 tailoring, 400 jewelry making, 400 cooking, 400 artificing... I can fully equip my clothies with new exotics whenever I choose. I didn't even have to make 500 pieces o' crap along the way to get there. To me, that's meaningful crafting. So please, tell us what you think "meaningful" is.

I agree here - crafting in LOTRO was really I have to make all this junk? that is not good crafting - please find a better example....

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Success compared to what? Everything that came before it? Or everything that came after it? In either case an example can be named where it had yet to surpass, yet alone equal that example. Are you measuring box sales or retention rate? Because again, in either of those cases, an example can be given where when compared to GW2's predecessor, the count for box sales is too early to call and retention is a poor measurement when it comes to subless mmorpgs.

Personally I judge it on the merit of personal satisfaction. What it a success for me? As oppose to was it a success for all of you. This is the only type of success that can be verified without getting direct answers from ArenaNET themselves. So for me GW2 was a minor success when I compare my personal satisfaction of it against something like Neverwinter. The saving grace for GW2 is that it requires no commitment. Neither monetary or time wise. Neverwinter still manages to get me to log in every 24 hours though, even if it's only to pray and receive my daily coins. Cannot say the same for GW2. Hmmm now that I think about it, would you really consider that a success?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Personally I judge it on the merit of personal satisfaction. What it a success for me? As oppose to was it a success for all of you. This is the only type of success that can be verified without getting direct answers from ArenaNET themselves. So for me GW2 was a minor success when I compare my personal satisfaction of it against something like Neverwinter. The saving grace for GW2 is that it requires no commitment. Neither monetary or time wise. Neverwinter still manages to get me to log in every 24 hours though, even if it's only to pray and receive my daily coins. Cannot say the same for GW2. Hmmm now that I think about it, would you really consider that a success?

If you wish, you can log in daily for your dailies for laurels to use for ascended items, so that's comparable I suppose. But I don't know of anyone that logs in only for that... at least with my guild it's to get into WvW, do guild events, have drunk naked PvP nights, things of that nature. We've about 200 active members in our guild so it's easy to see success in the game from our perspective.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Randayn
    I have to disagree.  I believe its a monumental failure for the MMORPG enthusiast.   It sets a tone that will eventually be the death of the real MMORPG.

Everyone has his own definition of "real MMORPG".

To me, GW2 is closer to the original pioneers not based on EQ cloning (UO and AC1) than any other game released since November 2, 1999.

A true mmo >> RP << g is not about repeating dungeons to farm gear. It's about a living changing world, exploration, adventure. Are we players, or are we hamsters on a wheel?

a key component in any MMORPG is progression...GW2 lacks this all around.   I also think that the story in GW2 could fly in a platformer game for pre-teens, but not in an MMORPG.  

Changing world - Everytime I went to a new zone I felt like I was doing the same things I had just done in the zone prior

Exploration - Everytime I went to a new zone I felt like I was in the same atmosphere but different setting....didnt really lead to me feeling as though i was "exploring"

Adventure - Again, it felt like I was doing repeatable quests over and over.  Add to that Dungeons that appeared to be half-assed together without little care or attention and you have no reason to seek out GW2's "adventure".

This game was purposely made to appeal to the "pop" culture of gamers...not necessarily MMORPG gamers.  

BTW, this is coming from a person that started my time in MMO's playing Anarchy Online.  The MMO I consider to be the best I've ever played.

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Success compared to what? Everything that came before it? Or everything that came after it? In either case an example can be named where it had yet to surpass, yet alone equal that example. Are you measuring box sales or retention rate? Because again, in either of those cases, an example can be given where when compared to GW2's predecessor, the count for box sales is too early to call and retention is a poor measurement when it comes to subless mmorpgs.

For now - what will Neverwinter be when the game is 6 months old? You are comparing games of different ages. I played Neverwinter and found it so mediocre and the mechanics were terrible. To each his own.

One person does not make a game a success, many do. You are only one person.

*push tongue firmly into cheek* For that matter, any game that pisses the majority of people on this board off, I consider it a success. *remove tongue from cheek*

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Guild Wars is a success in that they are able to keep things running and make money.

Guild Wars is not successful in the regard of keeping my attention for more than a month.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Nah I think I will pass on getting involved in that wordbattle. My points are invalid and uninformed because I don't share Your views and present a page of details we all know but don't agree on anyways. All Gw2 posts are like this anyways, I shoulda kept quit.
    Nah I think I will pass on getting involved in that wordbattle. My points are invalid and uninformed because I don't share Your views and present a page of details we all know but don't agree on anyways. All Gw2 posts are like this anyways, I shoulda kept quit.

Well there in lies the rub. What you claim "we all know" appears to be something that resides purely in your mind. If you're going to make ridiculous claims then you have the burden of backing them up.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

I think GW2 made quite a few mistakes....however I think there successes outweighed their mistakes in a staggering way...That being said I think comparing GW2 to WoW is like comparing apples to oranges yes they are both fruit and most of the time quite delicious but have very different tastes and make ups as well as how you eat them.. GW2 is without the trinity, that in and of itself makes it more comparable to D3 in the sense that group make up mean little so you and your friend can play whatever they want and still experience content...in a game where the trinity is still functional there is an inherent difference composition and make-up matter much more to play as a successful group someone has to make the sacrifice and be the healer another must be the tank. Would I want to see the trinity implemented into GW2....absolutely not, it would be more a GW1 then...but I think to in order to compare it to WoW you must first recognize thats its a very different model and has features designed for the game that make it so that another company such as blizzard are unable to duplicate in their games simply because of the design they chose

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Scalpless

I remember how fighting two normal mobs at once was a real challenge during the first beta weekend and three mobs? Damn, you're dead. Too bad they nerfed the difficulty, but it seems to have made a comeback in some of the new content. Those Aetherblades are mean.

Then again, I also remember all those "GW2 is too difficult" and "you can't solo most DEs" complaints, which are ridiculous, but still there. I still wonder how some people are unable to solo non-group DEs. They're so easy.

In terms of difficulty, just move to a different zone. GW2 is not quest chain driven so you will not miss story content or items by going to a harder area. 

The game was developed for casual players, those that are not as "epic" as other players, wouldn't play. Look at how dumb downed WoW has become, it's starter areas are very simple now. Hard content would lose business, so the developers let "you" decide where and how to play.

This game and others are all perfect for RPG. Developers have laid out a platform for us, and yet we want to zoom to level cap and still be gratified. Slow down and make the game an experience and have fun.

The problem is that when you move to a higher zone, mobs just take forever to kill. I can usually complete content around five levels above mine, but it's really slow and not challenging in a good way. Back in BWE1, mobs simply dealt tons of damage. If you were good, you could still kill them quickly.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Volkon

Fallen Earth crafting on release (don't know what it's now like). That was fun and entertaining crafting. I picked Lotro as an example only because to tell that shitty crafting like Lotro had was still better than GW2's. EQ2 was much better.

I already know that arguing with GW2 fanatics is pointless but I just shared my feelings. Game was fun for me for a month, I got my money's worth but for me it's lacking in so many areas that I cannot share your optimism. That's me and I don't hold monopoly of truth here. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I remember how fighting two normal mobs at once was a real challenge during the first beta weekend and three mobs? Damn, you're dead. Too bad they nerfed the difficulty, but it seems to have made a comeback in some of the new content. Those Aetherblades are mean.

Then again, I also remember all those "GW2 is too difficult" and "you can't solo most DEs" complaints, which are ridiculous, but still there. I still wonder how some people are unable to solo non-group DEs. They're so easy.

In terms of difficulty, just move to a different zone. GW2 is not quest chain driven so you will not miss story content or items by going to a harder area. 

The game was developed for casual players, those that are not as "epic" as other players, wouldn't play. Look at how dumb downed WoW has become, it's starter areas are very simple now. Hard content would lose business, so the developers let "you" decide where and how to play.

This game and others are all perfect for RPG. Developers have laid out a platform for us, and yet we want to zoom to level cap and still be gratified. Slow down and make the game an experience and have fun.

The problem is that when you move to a higher zone, mobs just take forever to kill. I can usually complete content around five levels above mine, but it's really slow and not challenging in a good way. Back in BWE1, mobs simply dealt tons of damage. If you were good, you could still kill them quickly.

So, you want to kill the mobs quickly but in a challenging way? 

What we need is a dial to set before we attack the mobs so we can adjust it to the level we like. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    I have to disagree.  I believe its a monumental failure for the MMORPG enthusiast.   It sets a tone that will eventually be the death of the real MMORPG.

Everyone has his own definition of "real MMORPG".

To me, GW2 is closer to the original pioneers not based on EQ cloning (UO and AC1) than any other game released since November 2, 1999.

A true mmo >> RP << g is not about repeating dungeons to farm gear. It's about a living changing world, exploration, adventure. Are we players, or are we hamsters on a wheel?

a key component in any MMORPG is progression...GW2 lacks this all around.

Wrong.

Since when isn't some form of "progression" a tenet in a "roleplaying" game? I would like to see you explain that one.....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Depends on what you measure as success.

How do you measure it?

Future iterations. As all things are measured on the internet.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

I stopped reading right there no point in arguing with you with that kind of statement.

When you title a thread "X is Y no matter how you feel about it" it's kind of laughable to say someone else is being intractable.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Originally posted by RizelStar

POS can still be succesful, it's just a POS though. I swear, like  Lil Wayne now is a POS(rapping wise and direction not him as a person I don't dislike him that much lol), but he's still successful lol. Justin Bei....yea you get the point.

I think everyone is taking successful as if it was a great game for them or not.

WoW was a great game at it's time, it failed to even get me, but I'm not going to be a hater and say overall it's a failure.

WoW's a success, bogus payment model I swear, but still an success.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Originally posted by General-Zod

Hipster Ha! Thats too funny...

When did anyone scream "your world is too mainstream" ?!?!

Good games all depend on preference, a good game to me could be a POS to you and vice versa... popularity has nothing to do with it. Im also not one of those people that "justify" a bad game (bad to me) because alot of people play it. if the game is good (good to me) its good because I like playing it not because (alot of other people like playing it).

Some examples

LoL > Dota 2 > HoN

GW > GW2 > Rift

SWG > Daoc > EQ

The quote 'GW2 is to MMOS is what Lady gaga is to music' and you giving it a like. i think it is self explanatory..no?

That is what hipsters do. They scoff at anything popular and make analogies to bieber, mcdonald and lady gaga. Only because something is popular doesn't mean it is bad by default.

Here let me help you out.

The [like] in my reply was to agree that "successful" and "good game" arent synonymous. Success can be messured with numbers and charts while a "good mmo" cannot ... the reason being is due to varying factors depending on ones perference on what exactly makes a good game.

There are millions of people that wouldnt dare touch a Lady Gaga album and find her music complete and udder trash not because shes "mainstream" its because of "type" of music she does... the same exact thing could be said about Lil Wayne and his music as RizelStar pointed out. With that being said, both these people are multi-plantinum selling recording artist with millions of fans and people that actually support thier music.

You might think im a hipster because I dont like goat meat even though its the widly the most consumed meat on the planet and maybe its too "mainstream" for me... OR it could be that I actually dont like the taste.

This thread is pointless...

• lordmonslordmons Member Posts: 4

This is about the definition of sucess.

SWTOR got a lot of new players and is profitting. It is a sucess? NO.

SWTOR was not made to be F2P in 1 years it was not made to be on par with DDO, AOC. It is created to be an alternative to WoW. And it is not. Not about the game but the sucess with public.

GW2 was not made to be another MMO, not to be on par with Rift, LOTRO. It was made to be another alternative to WoW. And it is not. Play the game if you like, the game is profitable. But is not the sucess with players the market, the players thought before the release.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the game. 

Sorry about my english.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Originally posted by RizelStar

POS can still be succesful, it's just a POS though. I swear, like  Lil Wayne now is a POS(rapping wise and direction not him as a person I don't dislike him that much lol), but he's still successful lol. Justin Bei....yea you get the point.

I think everyone is taking successful as if it was a great game for them or not.

WoW was a great game at it's time, it failed to even get me, but I'm not going to be a hater and say overall it's a failure.

WoW's a success, bogus payment model I swear, but still an success.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Hipster Ha! Thats too funny...

When did anyone scream "your world is too mainstream" ?!?!

Good games all depend on preference, a good game to me could be a POS to you and vice versa... popularity has nothing to do with it. Im also not one of those people that "justify" a bad game (bad to me) because alot of people play it. if the game is good (good to me) its good because I like playing it not because (alot of other people like playing it).

Some examples

LoL > Dota 2 > HoN

GW > GW2 > Rift

SWG > Daoc > EQ

The quote 'GW2 is to MMOS is what Lady gaga is to music' and you giving it a like. i think it is self explanatory..no?

That is what hipsters do. They scoff at anything popular and make analogies to bieber, mcdonald and lady gaga. Only because something is popular doesn't mean it is bad by default.

Here let me help you out.

The [like] in my reply was to agree that "successful" and "good game" arent synonymous. Success can be messured with numbers and charts while a "good mmo" cannot ... the reason being is due to varying factors depending on ones perference on what exactly makes a good game.

There are millions of people that wouldnt dare touch a Lady Gaga album and find her music complete and udder trash not because shes "mainstream" its because of "type" of music she does... the same exact thing could be said about Lil Wayne and his music as RizelStar pointed out. With that being said, both these people are multi-plantinum selling recording artist with millions of fans and people that actually support thier music.

You might think im a hipster because I dont like goat meat even though its the widly the most consumed meat on the planet and maybe its too "mainstream" for me... OR it could be that I actually dont like the taste.

This thread is pointless...

And i am telling you that successful and good game are many times synonymous. I found his post to be a cliche, something you often see used by people to put down anything that is popular.

And i agree that this thread is pointless. The moment people starting throwing in lady gaga, mc donalds and justin beiber analogies you know it si downhill from there.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney