Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player made content: where and what is it?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
What's the player made content in CU, and where will it be?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    apparently the majority of the game can be built upon in CU. There will be specific locations that'll have good resource nodes for PvP incentives.  

I believe you trying to say something. Now whats the player made content again? and how will it work?

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    apparently the majority of the game can be built upon in CU. There will be specific locations that'll have good resource nodes for PvP incentives.  

I believe you trying to say something. Now whats the player made content again? and how will it work?

He's referring to the sandboxey elements of the game, whereas you, I think, are referring to UGC, no? Well, I have no idea, don't think Mark's touched on this too much (to my knowledge). We know we can edit the UI of course, using JavaScript, other than that, there's not too much info out there I don't think.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

He's referring to the sandboxey elements of the game, whereas you, I think, are referring to UGC, no? Well, I have no idea, don't think Mark's touched on this too much (to my knowledge). We know we can edit the UI of course, using JavaScript, other than that, there's not too much info out there I don't think.

Yes I mean sandbox elements. What does he mean by built upon.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Pretty sure he's referring to the fact that players build houses, keeps, etc. I would definitely read through all the FP's if you're interested in the game, there's a lot of great info in there on how it's going to happen.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Simple example:

You own a castle.

Someone attacks your castle to expand their realm (to get more resources, reputation, whatever)

Now you have a reason to get your castle back.

That is called emergent gameplay/content and is player made content. And that is just one scenario.

With other words pvp generates emergent gameplay, and if you deliver reasons to fight in your game you will increase the amount of emergent content. Like castles to conquer(with advantages), or resources to protect, or access to the Depth.

Everything you can conquer,  hold and be able to defend and will give you advantages will create player made content.

Edit/PS:

And now look at the open world pvp in World of Warcraft. Do you have any reason to attack another player albeit from griefing him or just to fight? No not really. And even in battlegrounds the only reason is either to get to max level or for some leaderboards. Leaderboards are good and nice.. but do i really care about it? No. And usually only the players at the top of any leaderboard really care about a leaderboard.

But if you get some advantage from a fight you have another reason to fight and not just for the sake of competition.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Simple example:

You own a castle.

Someone attacks your castle to expand their realm (to get more resources, reputation, whatever)

Now you have a reason to get your castle back.

That is called emergent gameplay/content and is player made content. And that is just one scenario.

With other words pvp generates emergent gameplay, and if you deliver reasons to fight in your game you will increase the amount of emergent content. Like castles to conquer(with advantages), or resources to protect, or access to the Depth.

Everything you can conquer,  hold and be able to defend and will give you advantages will create player made content.

Sorry - castle seiges is not player made content - it is a game mechanic and inherent in the game. All you have described in mechanics in a PvP driven game - that in NOT player made content. Player made content is like in Neverwinter - please understand the difference....

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Emergent gameplay is player made content. We don't talk about pve content. Some quests made from other players.

If situations or reasons arise in a game to give you incentive to do something it is defacto content. And because it was caused by other players it is player made content.

PS/Edit: To describe it more into your thought structure a little example.

Clan A conquer city/castle from Clan B.

Clan B is a trader/crafter Clan.

Clan B gives out a Quest to conquer the castle/city back from Clan A

Clan C a mercenary clan takes that quest and conquer the castle back for clan B and gets a bounty.

Tools required:

- conquerable castles

- ingame bulletin board to announce Quests

- some way to give bounties for certain tasks