Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Convince me to to get this game

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Vasel

I am skeptical its going to be the same Asian mmo ported to western market that we have seen before. that's originaly designed for spoiled rich Asian kids spending 16 hours a day playing. I am not apposed to some  game time as I put in 40 hours a week if I find it enjoyable. But I have been burned before Lineage 1 and 2, Aion Tera ect. Tell me how this is not going to be more of the same?

Why would anyone want to convince you with that attitude, it's going to be more of the same.

Bye.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

I am skeptical its going to be the same Asian mmo ported to western market that we have seen before. that's originaly designed for spoiled rich Asian kids spending 16 hours a day playing. I am not apposed to some  game time as I put in 40 hours a week if I find it enjoyable. But I have been burned before Lineage 1 and 2, Aion Tera ect. Tell me how this is not going to be more of the same?

This is what I've never understood...

You would consider not playing a game because other people can play it more than you and advance faster ? Why would it matter if it took 500 hours to reach end-game ? That's one of the major problems in games now since 2004 (eq2/wow). Endgame is "the game" and everything before is just prepping you for it..you should take the time to enjoy the whole game.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    It's only $30. Even if you end up disliking it probably still get your monies worth.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    If this becomes B2P, I will buy it in a heartbeat, but if it remains S2P, probably not.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I dont think he cares about time to level. The problem with most Asian MMOs is the grind. Anyone who played FFXI (or like me, fell asleep watching a friend play) remembers forming groups, picking a spot on the map, and having one of the teamates pull mobs to the group to kill repeatedly for hours on end. That was pretty much how people leveled in FFXI, atleast back then. Its mind numbing and boring to most players who want quest and objectives to mask the grind, and it makes a huge difference, believe it or not. I personally couldnt take more than a few days of that and can definitely relate with OPs concern after playing games like CoH, FFXI, and more recently, Aion. I wouldnt care if it took 3 years to reach end game so long as the game has the content (quests, story, dungeons, etc) to back it up and keep things fresh.

To answer you OP. No this game isnt a grinder. Obviously no one has reached end game but from what im hearing there is enough content to level about 2 classes/jobs and they plan to add more later. Obviously you will eventually grind mobs, FATES and dungeons on your 4th+ class but on the other hand you can always just go the traditional route and roll alts.

Crafting looks like itll be a bit grindy, but thats mostly since its more involved by design. Honestly though .. when hasnt leveling crafting/gathering been grindy?
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

No one can can or should convince you to play any game.  Do your own research from the abundance of information available to you.  Also, if you can, try the Beta out before you purchase the game.  You know what you like to play more than anyone else does so take control of your inner-gamer and make your own decision.

Ratero.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by spankybus
    No....play open beta and make up your own mind, mate.

^This

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    With that attitude?  Please look elsewhere, PLEASE!!!!
  • BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

Okay, let me just roll up my sleeves and spend a bunch of my time convincing someone else who doesn't want to do the work themselves  that they should play a particular computer game.

I don't think so..

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

It is a game of a franchise with strong western roots. Every game since the 6th has been released in the West. It is faithful to the series' past.

It is not out-sourced to some western publisher a year after the official launch and then left to rot.

I won't convince you though. If you want to find the signs of "ur typical asian mmo", then you will most likely find them, whether it's true or not.

Too bad for you.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    If you need to be convinced don't buy it or simply try the open beta coming up in a few weeks.
  • rmacknerrmackner Member Posts: 29
    If you like very linear games that only have one way to progress in the game and you don't even need to ask friends or open a web browser to find the way then FFXIV is for you. FFXIV is another run of the mill theme park mmo that is nothing like the game that came before it and has learned nothing from it other then to copy whatever else is doing to cash in for a few months to a year. Then again FFXI was a straight rip off the classic EQ model and now FFXIV is a straight rip off the wow model.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by rmackner
    If you like very linear games that only have one way to progress in the game and you don't even need to ask friends or open a web browser to find the way then FFXIV is for you. FFXIV is another run of the mill theme park mmo that is nothing like the game that came before it and has learned nothing from it other then to copy whatever else is doing to cash in for a few months to a year. Then again FFXI was a straight rip off the classic EQ model and now FFXIV is a straight rip off the wow model.

Very linear game with one way to progress?

Without restarting, or rolling an "alt" a player in FFXIV can:

Play every single class

Play every job

Level any crafting or gathering profession

Level using small party dungeons, guildhests, guildleves, sidequests, hunting log, or FATEs

Join all the Grand Companies and do all of their quests, obtain all of their gear

PvP to gain all PvP abilities for all classes, all PvP armor sets, and all GC specific PvP abilities

Do every quest available in the entire game

Defeat every encounter/mob available, and obtain all items.

Play any level content anytime they want with level synch.

In short there is nothing someone is ever kept by the game from doing if they want to switch focus or paths.

It is true that for example it doesn't have a dungeon/player-based content creator, and it isn't a sandbox.  I don't know how anyone could get that impression.  But as far as RPG's go there are much more linear games out there, and this one allows quite a bit of freedom for people to enjoy it how they want.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Murugan

Play every single class

Play every job

Level using small party dungeons, guildhests, guildleves, sidequests, hunting log, or FATEs

Join all the Grand Companies and do all of their quests, obtain all of their gear

PvP to gain all PvP abilities for all classes, all PvP armor sets, and all GC specific PvP abilities

In short there is nothing someone is ever kept by the game from doing if they want to switch focus or paths.

It is true that for example it doesn't have a dungeon/player-based content creator, and it isn't a sandbox.  I don't know how anyone could get that impression.  But as far as RPG's go there are much more linear games out there, and this one allows quite a bit of freedom for people to enjoy it how they want.

You really do get baited by everyone don't you...

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • rmacknerrmackner Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Murugan

Play every single class

Play every job

Everything you just said is also in WoW and WoW is known as one of the most linear mmos to ever come out. Themepark games like EQ and FFXI were not as linear because you were dropped in the world without any idea on what to do next or how to progress (you found this out on your own or from friends not from the ingame help windows).

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

The disturbing part so far is that a majority of the NPCs can't possibly be more than eight years old. Even the lassie who signed me up for the adventurer's guild, and said she enjoyed gossip about me and my ladies, can't possibly have turned nine yet.

I knew this kind of content was hidden in the dark corners of the internet, but it is as I said disturbing to see it in a main stream comp game....

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

Please don't play.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Bjelar

The disturbing part so far is that a majority of the NPCs can't possibly be more than eight years old. Even the lassie who signed me up for the adventurer's guild, and said she enjoyed gossip about me and my ladies, can't possibly have turned nine yet.

I knew this kind of content was hidden in the dark corners of the internet, but it is as I said disturbing to see it in a main stream comp game....

What the fug?

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by Bjelar

What the fug?

Justin Bieber's fans look like senior citizens in comparison.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

If you're skeptical about the game, i say pass.

I don't buy games i don't want/like myself no matter what others say about them.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

Its a pretty game.

That's all it has going for it in my opinion. Feels like Tera only a little more grown up. Quests are a bore and feel pointless. Combat is point and click. Its a very typical Asian MMO. If you like them you will like this game. I find it boring.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I don't get these threads. If you can't decide for yourself with all the available info, don't bother.
  • ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

If you need other people to convince you to play a game - there is apparently a little voice in your head saying "nope". Listen to the little voice - I don't care how good the game may be for other people - you don't seem to see it as good. Or you wouldn't need the fans of the game to convince you. Just my opinion. (For the record i've never played it and have no opinion of it - just seems you are off on it).

Currently bored with MMO's.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Convince me to convince you to play FFXIV: ARR.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

We don't get paid to sell you on a game, and don't give a damn if you play it or not.

This has been a public service message by spoiled rich Asian kids.