Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Megaserver and being able to play on different alliances, in different guilds? Oookay...

KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

Guess I am still perplexed by Megaserver and how exactly its going to be handled with everyone on a particular platform (PS4, Xbox One, PC/Mac) being on the same Megaserver? Except you may be in different channels?? How would large scale battles and raids be handled?

Doesn't seem like it would work on an immersive level during a big war in Cryodiil. So if I am in the same channel as lets say 100s of players yet there are 1000s on the battlefiend and so I can only see the 100s yet we are losing or winning somehow and the castle is being sieged and walls are falling yet no one can really ascertain whats happening because we are in different channels, this is going to really be rather odd for everyone involved.

Also how strategic will it be if people can play on different alliances using the same account and talk to their buddies on another alliance and find out when the next raid group is heading into Cryodiil?

Alot of this stuff is really up in the air and not very thoroughly informative yet huge dynamics of the game are going to be upset and imbalanced and not very immersive for the gamer if it isnt being thoroughly scrutinized during development and testing.

I can see why alot of people have their doubts and these forums are not very active in comparison to other MMORPGs in development. I for one will be impressed if they can really pull this off but I have my doubts as well as they are releasing on multiple platforms yet insist on having everyone on a particular platforms megaserver with 3 alliances in contention where you can play multiple alliances and be in multiple guilds; all the while being in different channels...huh?!?

Comments

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    I think you may have a couple aspects of the game confused.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

1) This game doesn't look like it is targeting gear grinding raids so right off the bat this may not be the right game for you.

2) If you do just a little research, you will see that they said for PVP that the PVP area on one channel can hold about a 1000 and 200+ on one screen since currently more than that would bring everyone's system to a halt. Since they are a year away, they have stated that they are continuing to try to increase the number on one screen at the same time as they make technological advances. I think even if they didn't, those are healthy numbers.

3) Anyone who determines the amount of posts in a forum is indicative of success when a game is a year from release has no clue. If you go on the home page of this site, you will see that the activity of every forum varies greatly daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc depending on what recent news has been released, what stage of development the project is in, was is just announced or not, is it in open beta, is it already live, is it 6 months post live etc. Right now there is very little new news, thus, activity is low.

4) I have no idea what the rest of your post meant, so hopefully somebody else can respond.

There Is Always Hope!

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I do not believe this game will be cross platform. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm almost 100% on this.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by Lumm
    I do not believe this game will be cross platform. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm almost 100% on this.
    You would be correct.

Source

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Sounds like GW3....No thanks

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by keithian

1) This game doesn't look like it is targeting gear grinding raids so right off the bat this may not be the right game for you.

2) If you do just a little research, you will see that they said for PVP that the PVP area on one channel can hold about a 1000 and 200+ on one screen since currently more than that would bring everyone's system to a halt. Since they are a year away, they have stated that they are continuing to try to increase the number on one screen at the same time as they make technological advances. I think even if they didn't, those are healthy numbers.

3) Anyone who determines the amount of posts in a forum is indicative of success when a game is a year from release has no clue. If you go on the home page of this site, you will see that the activity of every forum varies greatly daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc depending on what recent news has been released, what stage of development the project is in, was is just announced or not, is it in open beta, is it already live, is it 6 months post live etc. Right now there is very little new news, thus, activity is low.

4) I have no idea what the rest of your post meant, so hopefully somebody else can respond.

1) Gear grinding raids are not my passion, as is PvP Raiding and defense of the Realm Raids

2) Had this notion myself when I was pondering how they were going to bring out large scale PvP battles technologically and this is where my hopes lie in wait of what manifests and transpires over time...

3) Considering ESO was initially projected for 2013 release yet pushed back means they already have much of the central game design finished and my hypothesis would be that they are going to tweak graphics and optimize gameplay mechanics, especially technological barriers that have troubled many MMORPGs of the past. A huge mistake that occurs by developers and companies that invest in MMORPGs is everything is done behind closed doors too often and there is a huge experienced, diverse playerbase that trumps anything they find frustrating, annoying, agitating, etc...when its released so how do they circumvent this eventuality? You involve the huge experience diverse playerbase in every aspect of development; instead of incorporating what other MMORPG companies have used as a flowchart of developing MMORPGs since the beginning, wherein many turned out to be multimillion dollars flops involving many resources, much time and energy invested by alot of professionals who could be doing something much more worthwhile and productive in the long run. (Oh btw this website is MMORPG.COM if you hadn't noticed and you can ascertain the pulse and vibe of an anticipated MMORPG currently in development by its forum activity (especially if they don't have their own forums)...believe dat!)

4) Let me clear up some confusion as I have played many MMORPGs and I am really trying to comprehend how your going to have an entire zone (Cryodiil) contested by 3 alliances hoping to gain advantage over the other alliances by capturing lands and keeps so as to gain control and eventually become Emperor of Cryodiil which means supremecy and domination over the other alliances. All while allowing players to play on multiple alliances, whilst being a part of multiple guilds, and being in multiple channels on one big megaserver; no one here sees any issue with this kind of freedom becoming very manipulated and imbalancing unless there is methods of balance and control being implimented from the beginning?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Your problem understanding this is that you're hung-up on the megaserver thing. Maybe this will help: it's for PvE only.

Think of the PvP Cyrodiil campaigns as servers which is what they really are. If you've played games before where the server was faction locked (e.g. DAoC) you could have played all three factions in three different servers. Same thing here except they're called campaigns and except ALL PvE is handled like cross-server LFG PUGs is in other games.

PvE will be much like GW2, TSW and other games where phases are used to control player density in areas. Moving back and forth in those PvE phases will be something you can do nearly at will (provided the phase you want to be in isn't full.)

Not so for Cyrodiil campaigns. Moving from one campaign to another will be as big of a deal as changing servers is in other games: it can be done, but it'll cost you something.

The weirdness here has to do with cross-alliance guilds and being able to join several guilds. That's just asking for trouble and it'll be messy. But we don't know much about how they plan to implement this. Or even if they'll come to their senses and realize what a metagame managing nightmare they're creating.

Cross alliance guilds themselves are not the problem. If all members of a guild who are in Alliance A play in Campaign X, and Alliance B in Y and Alliance C in Z it won't be any different than what my guild did in DAoC. We had versions of our guild in three separate servers, one for each realm. Lots of people did that in DAoC.

It's the hyper social network integration BS that allows multiple guild membership that's causing the problems. If you and your buddies are not in the same guild, well.... first, that's weird, and second, wtf is wrong with using vent or IM if you just have to chat with them?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Your problem understanding this is that you're hung-up on the megaserver thing. Maybe this will help: it's for PvE only.

Think of the PvP Cyrodiil campaigns as servers which is what they really are. If you've played games before where the server was faction locked (e.g. DAoC) you could have played all three factions in three different servers. Same thing here except they're called campaigns and except ALL PvE is handled like cross-server LFG PUGs is in other games.

PvE will be much like GW2, TSW and other games where phases are used to control player density in areas. Moving back and forth in those PvE phases will be something you can do nearly at will (provided the phase you want to be in isn't full.)

Not so for Cyrodiil campaigns. Moving from one campaign to another will be as big of a deal as changing servers is in other games: it can be done, but it'll cost you something.

The weirdness here has to do with cross-alliance guilds and being able to join several guilds. That's just asking for trouble and it'll be messy. But we don't know much about how they plan to implement this. Or even if they'll come to their senses and realize what a metagame managing nightmare they're creating.

Cross alliance guilds themselves are not the problem. If all members of a guild who are in Alliance A play in Campaign X, and Alliance B in Y and Alliance C in Z it won't be any different than what my guild did in DAoC. We had versions of our guild in three separate servers, one for each realm. Lots of people did that in DAoC.

It's the hyper social network integration BS that allows multiple guild membership that's causing the problems. If you and your buddies are not in the same guild, well.... first, that's weird, and second, wtf is wrong with using vent or IM if you just have to chat with them?

Initially I am curious to your information source if you are implying that megaserver is strictly in reference to PvE.

I can see why you mentioned guilds in DAoC being in different realms on different servers as ya'll wanted to be where the action was on a particular time during a given day

Also, how do you know Cryodiil is going to be on different servers, on a given platform?

Guess I am one of the few who are amazed they give mention to technological terms like megaserver without going into great detail, cause simply said, "Once you let the cat out of the bag, you may as well reveal everything pertaining to it".

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Consoles will be on a different megaserver than mac/pc users.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

Guess I am still perplexed by Megaserver and how exactly its going to be handled with everyone on a particular platform (PS4, Xbox One, PC/Mac) being on the same Megaserver? Except you may be in different channels?? How would large scale battles and raids be handled?

Maybe I played too much WAR, but I see their Megaserver crashing and burning launch week constantly. I highly doubt one server can handle all the concentrated players in PvP plus all those in PvE. They may be in different channels or whatever, but it is still one server processing everything.

Originally posted by Tokken

Consoles will be on a different megaserver than mac/pc users.

Ya I know this...yet no one has fully explained how they are going to handle 1000s of players on one platform in a huge PvP war in Cryodiil and this is going to be shortly after everyone hits 50th level; all day, every day, day in and day out until someone gains control of the ruby throne as emperor...

Originally posted by TheMaahes

Maybe I played too much WAR, but I see their Megaserver crashing and burning launch week constantly. I highly doubt one server can handle all the concentrated players in PvP plus all those in PvE. They may be in different channels or whatever, but it is still one server processing everything.

I played WAR in open beta and after release and I am wondering the same thing as well as I don't see it working as they intend it to work with 1000s of players on one huge megaserver....ain't gonna happen in any way players are going to be happy with...I know this is where everything is going but at this point I am not seeing it unless they totally gear everything towards it and cut down on all the rest of the content until they get this part of the game optimized and balanced for everyone to thoroughly participate in and enjoy.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
     how do you know...

Do what everyone else here has been doing for months. Read the development FAQ @ Tamriel Foundry:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

how do you know...

Do what everyone else here has been doing for months. Read the development FAQ @ Tamriel Foundry:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

So this is the answer to my question as to where all the forum activity went to....and I was impressed at the amount of guilds and members who plan on playing ESO listed there.

Couldn't find much information on the Megaserver however

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

It's the hyper social network integration BS that allows multiple guild membership that's causing the problems.

I agree.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo