Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please, tell me why you hate PVP so much. I just don't understand.

Comments

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

I like to PvP for the most part, but I have serious issues with how it is handled in every MMO I have ever played since SWG.  And I've played more than I care to share:

In short, all I want to say was that there are plenty of reasons why people don't like to PvP, and none of them have anything to do with them losing.  I don't like PvP, because in its current paradigm... it adds absolutely nothing substantial or interesting to an MMO I would potentially want to spend a lot of time with, if developers ever make a game that even accomplishes THAT much in the first place.  PvP does nothing but destroy a game and its playerbase.

1.   The MMO really has nothing to do with skill - ever.  It never has.  The systems are always built on the premise of min-maxing and number crunching.  Even games that try to infuse some kind of a terrain management mechanic where you dodge attacks or whatever... it is still about the numbers.  How people who play MMO's for no other reason but for the PvP somehow fail to realize this, I will never understand.  You aren't a better player.  You aren't winning based on a skill.  You just have higher numbers than the other person.

2.  Tactics are a ruse in PvP.  MMO's are built off of a trinity class system, because that's the only way to do it.  That's exactly what defines each class as a class.  Even GW2, for all its efforts to claim otherwise, it still is based on a trinity system.  The difference is that the trinity is built into every class, and each class approaches that trinity system differently or less effectively than others.  What makes "tactics" a ruse in PvP is that the trinity is completely broken - Tanking does not exist.  You cannot force the other player to attack a specific target.  The Tank is the field tactician because it controls where damage is being dispersed by the opposing team (aggro/hate.)  Without that - you have no tactics whatsoever.

What you are left with is a bunch of zerging/burst damage, after which you try to retreat for the heals before you die, while popping your few seconds of invulnerablility/stealth/get-out-of-jail-free-card... if you even have one.  Why do you think all PvPers care about is damage if they aren't a healer?  And even then, I have never played an MMO where Healers did not produce ridiculous damage in PvP all the same.  And in either case - the winner is still the person who can produce the highest numbers.

This is exactly why in every MMO the same thing happens: the game goes live with PvP, the first class to get nerfed is always the rogue or stealth/burst damage/critical hits class - always.  This makes the Healers ridiculous to kill, because the class responsible for keeping them in check is no longer functional.  So to counter that, the DPS classes are buffed with more damage and better CC.  But now the "Tanks" suck because they can't kill anything, because they weren't designed to do damage.  So they get a DPS buff of some kind.  And so starts the cycle of never-ending PvP re-balancing <- another way of saying giving some classes more or less numbers.  Eventually you are left with a community who leaves the game because "PvP is dead."  I wonder why...

And on top of all of that - no one really cares about whatever tactics they claim PvP has.  When they get completely obliterated by another class on a constant basis, their first reaction is never, "Wow... they sure outplayed me."  No.  They go to the forums and cry nerf on a specific class.  They never consider the bigger picture - like the fact their class is supposed to be weak against the class they are constantly killed by.  Which is even more fuel to my claim that "tactics" are a complete facade that do not matter in PvP... because they do not exist in PvP.

3.  Speaking of rebalances - PvP rebalancing ALWAYS affects PvE.  If your class is nerfed because it performs too well in PvP - guess what.  Your class will now suck in PvE, because the numbers are universal.  So what do people do?  They reroll - either so they can remain "competitive" in PvP, or because the role they want to fill in PvE is better performed by an entirely different class... which means they hurt their team more than they help by playing the borked class - which is also a possibility for PvP purposes too.  Or... they just leave the game for another one, expecting things to be different.  And... surprise - they aren't.

Eventually, everyone who PvP's will only play about 1/3 of the classes available - the long range DPS, the melee scrapper tank/dps, the healer, or the tank (because the Tank is always necessary in PvE.)  The majority of those players will without fail be the melee scrapper.  Why?  Because Dual Wielding Katanas is "dark, mysterious, original, and cool and really expresses the inner turmoil of teenage angst and individuality."  Throw in the option to wear some kind of black armor with a hood that covers half their character's face... what teenager could resist?  Apparently not Legollass21, Dark-Raven, or Nightstalker.  I bet they're all orphans too.

This does a couple of things that destroy a game.  First, whatever PvE community was active, has moved on to another game because they're tired of Devs constantly rewiring their class to a state of dysfunction since it isn't balance for PvP.  Not that the game was designed to have any sort of a long-term PvE end-game anyway, since they're all themeparks with finite content.  Whatever hope they had to stay despite this, has already been castrated by the demands of PvPers.  PvPers do not build communities for a game.  They move from one game to the next with their guild/clan, and they battle the same opponents over and over again in different games.  They do this, because the stuff that is already stated, becomes boring in a very short order.  Add on top of this that these same PvP players will eventually come to the conclusiong the PvEers were saying from the start, "PvP has no point."

But wait - what happened to having good compeition and sport?  You mean.... if there is no long-term point... none of that matters?  Just wait... I'm not done explaining why PvP as you understand it is overrated.

4.  Hardcore PvPers are the absolute biggest whiners in all of creation because there is no universal constant that forces them to keep their rationale and behavior in check: like a referee in a sport or the grave reality of death during a war.  It's the internet... they're free to be as completely intolerable as they want to be.  THEY are the ones who get mad because they can't win.  THEY are the ones who destroyed MMO's, because THEY are the ones who only play a game if it allows them to win.  If they can't win... they just move on to another game.  Or even more poetic - they're "so good" they move on out of boredom.  However, since they can potentially be a large portion of the playerbase (read: monetary income), losing that audience will not allow a game to sustain itself as "successful" by today's investor's ridiculous understanding of the word.  So they force the devs to constantly satiate the PvPers' desires, regardless of how misinformed their lists of demands are.

But let's suppose even if they can't win, they still stick around.  This is how the term cookie-cutter and FOTM were birthed.  No one can even remotely defend these terms as being objects for the betterment of a game.  Why do they exist?  See point 1 about min-maxing.  PvEers can't win, so they resort to min-maxing and unofficial exploiting of the game.  To be fair, min-maxing is not a behavior used only by PvPers.  PvEers can be pretty elitist about it too - which sucks probably just as bad.  But the issue with min-maxing is only more evidence to the fact that the game has absolutely nothing to do with skill... ever.  If skill mattered in these games... min-maxing wouldn't.

"I only exploit to encourage the devs to fix their crappy game."  This is like people who try to justify malicious hacking into secured online accounts.  "If it weren't for me, they wouldn't even know they had a problem in the first place."  True... but also... if it weren't for YOU - they wouldn't need hacking prevention in the first place!  And OH BOY do PvPers use exploits!  It's their favorite thing to do for jollies and trolling - next to cheating.  Here's a hint: they're the same thing.

I could go on and on, but I've been around the internet long enough to know that most people won't even read what I have already written and also, nothing I have said matters beyond answering your question.  And frankly, I really don't even care about that, since I know you will inevitably have some kind of argument for minor tidbits of what I've said, thinking that that statement existed in a vacuum.  In other words, whatever argument you have - I'm sure it will be based on taking something I've said out of context.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I LOVE good PvP when it's on my terms, when I can participate when I decide to.

I dislike badly designed full open PvP now that I'm older with less time to play because I dislike some teenager without a life playing 12+ hours a day being able to camp my lower level character and make me waste time I could spend playing. But that kind of PvP has always been a small niche anyway, UO had to patch in Trammel in a hurry to save the game.

A good designed game with PvP must cater to all play styles, including people who do not want to participate in PvP, or who only want to participate when they feel like it. That's why poorly designed game like Darkfail or Mortal Online will remain tiny niche crap (not to mention the poor production quality of those games of course).

There's a reason why UO and EVE are the two only successful sandbox games with PvP... because both aren't gank fests, they both give players choices. UO with a 100% PvE world, and EVE with different levels of security. The games work because all play styles can enjoy them, and not only the tiny minority of gankers.

"badly designed" "must cater", no and no. There are plenty of games for people who don't enjoy pvping or wishes to play the PVP in battlegrounds, there are really few good games out that have open world pvp these days. L2 did it great. Also small niche? Have you ever heard of EVE, that game can hardly be called niche considering their userbase size. Also EVE is a gank fest, really. If you have something worth taking then people will kill you and take it but people still enjoy the game.

Imo there needs to be downsides to PKing but nothing stupid. Having different security levels seems like a good idea to me as long as its more profitable to be out in the unsafe parts of the world.

Originally posted by maccarthur2004

A good designed game with PvP must cater to all play styles, including people who do not want to participate in PvP, or who only want to participate when they feel like it. That's why poorly designed game like Darkfail or Mortal Online will remain tiny niche crap (not to mention the poor production quality of those games of course).

There's a reason why UO and EVE are the two only successful sandbox games with PvP... because both aren't gank fests, they both give players choices. UO with a 100% PvE world, and EVE with different levels of security. The games work because all play styles can enjoy them, and not only the tiny minority of gankers.

You dont know Lineage 2, one of the most sucessful mmos. And Archeage is coming soon too.

I know every MMORPG released in the last 17 years and played most including L2, and Lineage 2 also has safeguards for mindless PKing.

And as a true MMO veteran, I don't bet on "upcoming games" which look too good to be true, I only trust what my eyes can see.

Safeguards? Say what? There was towns were you were safe and you couldn't use some NPCs but that was hardly an issue, just get a summoner to summon you or clean the karma fast if need be. Still it worked with just that.

Originally posted by Kuro1n

I dislike badly designed full open PvP now that I'm older with less time to play because I dislike some teenager without a life playing 12+ hours a day being able to camp my lower level character and make me waste time I could spend playing. But that kind of PvP has always been a small niche anyway, UO had to patch in Trammel in a hurry to save the game.

"badly designed" "must cater", no and no. There are plenty of games for people who don't enjoy pvping or wishes to play the PVP in battlegrounds, there are really few good games out that have open world pvp these days. L2 did it great. Also small niche? Have you ever heard of EVE, that game can hardly be called niche considering their userbase size. Also EVE is a gank fest, really. If you have something worth taking then people will kill you and take it but people still enjoy the game.

Imo there needs to be downsides to PKing but nothing stupid. Having different security levels seems like a good idea to me as long as its more profitable to be out in the unsafe parts of the world.

Did I ever talk about battlegrounds? Nope.

Stop assuming, comments what I said, not what you "imagine" I said. And also learn to read... I've mentioned EVE in my post, yet you ask me if I have ever heard of it. And no, EVE is not a "gank fest" everywhere, unlike the badly designed crap games like Darkfail or MO.

This actually makes me ask... did you even read my post?

You love PVP when it's on your terms you said, I am assuming that is battlegrounds or such, either way. On your terms means not open world PVP. Yes I know you wrote about it, I read your post. If I didn't read your post I wouldn't have addressed almost every part of it. I just wrote that way because you said it was niche but that is exactly what happens in EVE online. Newbies gets killed all the time, no one cares if you are a newbie or not in EVE. A kill is a kill.

Darkfall and MO are both without and downsides at all for PKing, just upsides. A truly bad system I agree. The best systems I've seen is in Tibia, L2 and EVE, different systems but all of them worked great. Having open world PVP on the gankers terms can work. It just needs to be well designed.

Safeguards? Say what? There was towns were you were safe and you couldn't use some NPCs but that was hardly an issue, just get a summoner to summon you or clean the karma fast if need be. Still it worked with just that.

Seriously... have you even played Lineage 2? You have vastly most people playing it PVE than you have PKs.

Yes, I used lead a clan of 450 players a while back and actually kept playing the game for 9 years straight. I am quite at home with the game. If you play at a competitive level you PK to get people off spots quite often.

• WahrHeitWahrHeit Member UncommonPosts: 57

I love pvp, duels,arenas,bgs, open world...

I dislike a bit mass pvp...i enjoy much more bg than wvwvw in gw2 for example.

Years ago i was really hardcore into pvp, i could waste my time doing pvp all the day lol.

but there is always fags who ruin pvp...its a shame to see videos of "pvp players" hunting lowbies or fighting in way more

advantage.

if you love pvp you will try to search the best players on the server and get the best experience winning or losing.

You love PVP when it's on your terms you said, I am assuming that is battlegrounds or such, either way. On your terms means not open world PVP. Yes I know you wrote about it, I read your post. If I didn't read your post I wouldn't have addressed almost every part of it. I just wrote that way because you said it was niche but that is exactly what happens in EVE online. Newbies gets killed all the time, no one cares if you are a newbie or not in EVE. A kill is a kill.

Darkfall and MO are both without and downsides at all for PKing, just upsides. A truly bad system I agree. The best systems I've seen is in Tibia, L2 and EVE, different systems but all of them worked great. Having open world PVP on the gankers terms can work. It just needs to be well designed.

On your terms can still be open world, don't limit what's possible to the limits of your own imagination. A game doesn't need to be a total gank fest to have open world PvP.

Hell, the "real world" we live in is open PvP, yet you don't see people killing each other mindlessly all the time even if it happens.

Seriously... have you even played Lineage 2? You have vastly most people playing it PVE than you have PKs.

Yes, I lead a clan of 450 players and actually kept playing the game for 9 years straight. I am quite at home with the game. If you play at a competitive level you PK to get people off spots quite often.

How can you be so ignorant about that game then? For me, L2 is a bad game, but definitely not because of the open PvP which was quite controlled when I played (controlled as in "not annoying"). L2 was and is a bad game because of the awful "Asian" grind based design is has.

Originally posted by WahrHeit

I love pvp, duels,arenas,bgs, open world...

I dislike a bit mass pvp...i enjoy much more bg than wvwvw in gw2 for example.

Years ago i was really hardcore into pvp, i could waste my time doing pvp all the day lol.

but there is always fags who ruin pvp...its a shame to see videos of "pvp players" hunting lowbies or fighting in way more

advantage.

if you love pvp you will try to search the best players on the server and get the best experience winning or losing.

Spoke like someone who truly likes PvP for the competition. I couldn't agree more, specially the last sentence. A true PvPer loving PvP doesn't waste his time ganking lowbies, he fights against those better than him for the challenge and to improve and learn.

Well Some downsides for PKing is what I believe is healthy for the game and I already said so, not sure what you are getting at. IRL has quite huge punishments for killing others, where there are no punishments there are plenty of murders, feel free to visit somalia or something.

For you L2 is bad yet you talk to me and think I haven't played it, L2 is probably the game I enjoyed most. The grind is part of what makes it good. Other games are just too easy, if it takes 2 months to get maxlevel it's too easy. I want to be able to work on my character for years, what's the point of playing the game if you are just going to sit on your ass in town after you grinded your way up? Leveling/farming and PVPing for spots or epics is what L2 was always about. Also L2 is a good game, there are lots and lots of players who enjoy the game even though it is so old and that is because it has something very few other games have. I don't think you have any rights to bash L2 anymore, it is a truly good PVP game where you needed some real teamplay to perform good and depended on every memeber of your party in PVP.

Also I agree with you and that other guy, finding the biggest guy and beating him is what it is all about. If you are beating newbies you don't get better. At some point you will be the best though and then what? As long as someone is on equal terms as you or close by the fight is good imo. It is a game afterall and the guy under you sees you as the biggest guy around that he wants to beat.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

I don't hate RvR, WvW, something that takes a team and strategy.  I hate the dueling, I hate the l33t-ness of so called "soloers" (gangers)( oh, and stealthers always think they are better than they really are.)

I hate people taking a game like say, DAoC and whining that they got outnumbered (TAKE YOUR CHANCES IF YOUR GONNA SOLO, don't whine about it)

I don't mind GW2 PvP, because you can never go there if you want.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Wushu, a mind boggling civil FFA world with no safezones. 20 million players world wide, and it's less than 2 years old. There is a reason for this.

A guildie, Shulan, has to be one of my favorite mmorpg players. She does not like pvp for all the reasons listed. In Wushu, she's the #1 farmer, the #1 woodcutter, and top musician. No one messes with her while she's doing these things, because there is no reward for doing so. Only potential punishment. 

During war she is more important than any one player with a sword. She organizes the musicians. Without her we would not be nearly as strong.

Point being even in a FFA world, that makes you check a box that says "Wushu is a pvp world are you ready" before you log in, their can be civility. 

I have high hopes for the future of the genre. It's evolving.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    I just don't enjoy PVP.  I don't care if you can kill me, I don't care if I can kill you.  I don't enjoy and thus don't play FPS games, they bore me to tears no matter who is winning.   If that's all I have to do in a game I'll go read a book instead. 
  • BamboozledBamboozled Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Unfortunately the pvp community is polluted with cowards, psychopaths, a##holes, rude little children (of a variety of ages) who don't know when to stop. I remember one guy who was just a plain sh&t. I was talking to some people who knew him in real life and essentially he really was  an unwashed, cranky, bitter Assh*le.

It's funny, but most people that commit murder in real life fit the same description.

Guns have simply made it easier for cowards to kill.

Back on topic, I love PvP but only with certain checks and balances in place.

For instance, PS1 was a great environment for PvP. Why? Because of a well designed horizontal progression system of advancement. A BR1 has a pretty good chance of taking down a BR20 due to the fact that everyone had the same hit points. Granted the BR20 had more flexibility and some additional skills, but the base metrics were the same.

In most MMOs, winning in PvP comes down to who has the best gear. You can say that tactics win over gear, but I don't believe it. Basically, you have to put the time in to make PvP enjoyable in an MMO. If you don't, you fall behind the curve and get stomped. It's something that I always disliked about PvP.

Now, it games like AA, Battlefield, or any arena based PvP, it's expected and you better have your tactics tight before you walk in there. I can accept getting trounced there. Because I know that we're all on equal footing as far as tactics/gear/damage. Or, there are checks and balances based on what archetype you choose to go in with (glass cannon, tank, ranged, etc).

I suppose my largest dislike of PvP is that it always seems to be put into an MMO as an afterthought. Without careful attention to the checks and balances that need to be in place in order to foster growth, collaboration, and the balance of grief/fun.

I want to acknowledge Shadowrun for a second, which was a great example of PvP IMO. I remember treading out into the world and getting ganked by a rank 5. Then putting the word out and getting a tell from someone asking where he was. I told him, and within 5 minutes a herd of minotaurs came barreling over a hill and proceeded to pound him into the ground.

It was a beautiful thing.

“He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

Not specific enough: Do you mean open world pvp? Battlegrounds? What?

I've outgrown open world pvp. It has always degenerated into a grief/gank fest. It was rarely fun over the 13+ years I participated in it. Getting that surge of adrenaline was fun, but the annoyance at gankers/griefers pretty much outweighed that.

Structured PvP as it's now called, or battlegrounds/arena with fair teams I enjoy. I enjoy it a lot, actually.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's not like you die IRL. It's a game sometimes you win sometimes you lose.  Is it because -

You lose a lot?

You can't get better?

It's scary?

To much adrenalin? 

It makes you angry?

PvP'rs are mean?

Outside of "I just don't like it" which is not an explanation, this is what I ask myself when I hear someone say "I wish there was no pvp" 

I mean to me PVP is the pinnacle off multiplayer gaming. You test your skills against mine. We use what we found in the world and see if it works. 

Why, please tell me. Maybe developers have done studies and stuff, but I haven't, I really don't get it.

Update - Top reasons

Lack of time

Mean player/ Nasty attitudes 

Not a competitive person

OBSERVATION - Every scenario given by those against PvP involves being the person that gets killed. Check it out for yourself. 

There's some really good stuff in here Thank you to those who are giving their time.

edit- they red text is not meant to demean. It's an observation, a true observation. If we reach the heart of the problem maybe it can be fixed. I made the observation text smaller and changed it back to white from red, for sake of civility.

Underlying Issue -The main cause of resentment seems to be bad game designs, with no risk of punishment for the griefer. In the scenarios given people are getting killed/camped with no recourse, and the camper has no fear of punishment. Who would want that? Come on devs you can do better!

Seriously?????? You missed the only reason, how about the majority of PKers are scripting. In basic terms they are cheating which is sooo easy to do in mmorpg's and it' all started back with UO.

There is only two types of PKers:

1. Those that are using some form of cheating, (the vast majority who are always screaming for PvP in mmorpg's or they won't touch it) or

2. The minority that try honestly to PK yet feel compelled to keep trying against the cheats, why I have no idea.

Until a company can actually produce some form of security on their side to prevent the use of scripts and other forms of cheating it will never go away. In fact it's been going strong since 1996 that I can remember and has been unchanged.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by fyerwall
    See, I love the "In Real Life" arguments.You are playing an MMO. Throwing fireballs, riding dragons, running through lava pits, wandering frozen tundras for hours/days while wearing a simple leather tunic and not freezing to death... these you can suspend disbelief for...Not being able to kill a player due to a magic/mystical protection... you cannot ignore because it can't be done in real life?/migraine 
    Same here. Couldn't that "mystical protection" be called "the internet?"

I wonder how many times these people beat up (or get beaten up by) those around them. How many times have they been minding their own business, filing some papers when all of a sudden, BOOM! Attacked.

Maybe I am the strange one, but this happens to me like never.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

90% of the PVP in MMO games is not balanced

Games like Guild Wars 2 that give you both flavors - balanced (spvp) and FOTM (WvW) are booed and spitted on for being boring

.... Go figure

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

I love pvp, it's all I play for, my problem is balance. 

A great example of this was in WAR online.  My buddies and I ran a 6 man, oh about a year or so ago,  I'd call it the prime for WAR,  really good fights, dying population but enough to make it fun.  We got to RR 80+, but slowly figured out that running into rr 100 groups led to defeat no matter what we tried.  We had even been called out in the forums by the high ranks saying that if it weren't for the hidden levels added into the realm ranks, we would had slaughtered them.  It usually ended up in stalemates, they couldn't kill us, but we couldn't even focus down a healer. 

It's hard to find a good balance and I can't imagine it's an easy task for the devs, but let's be honest, there isn't very many "good" pvp games out there that aren't pay to win or completely imbalanced.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I hate PvP coz I suck at it and don't feel like putting forthe the effort to get better.  I'm "ok" at world of tanks and that is my Pvp fix.  I e never been any good at mmo type Pvp so I don't play those games

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158

I think PVP has it's place which is in a true PVP game. What I don't like is an MMORPG that has a mix of PVE and PVP as you simply can't balance the game and have diversity of classes with a mix of both.

An MMO should be either PVP or PVE and nothing more. This way you can balance the game on the way the game was designed to be played. Just look what PVP has done to WOW. Thanks to PVP the PVE content has been dumbed down to the point of it being a joke. They have nerfed classes to death and made even their traits now cookie cutter.

PVP is fun in games it's designed solely for. Planetside, Battlefield 3, Halo etc. Keep that crap out of a PVE game and all is good. There is just simply no reason to have PVP in a PVE game. Did you buy the game to play the game or to run around in a little arena like an idiot.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Bravnik

I think PVP has it's place which is in a true PVP game. What I don't like is an MMORPG that has a mix of PVE and PVP as you simply can't balance the game and have diversity of classes with a mix of both.

I do believe the mix-em-together games do have a lot of issues.

But that's kind of challenging; despite legions of gamers willing to hurl simplistic answers ("Look, it's just this easy...") at the drop of a hat, the complexity adds some richness that the games wouldn't otherwise have.

Unfortunately, developers can't make people who just don't like each other very much live together with happiness and rainbows.

Social problems x asocial wretches... Just add water and run.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RulgothRulgoth Member Posts: 13

I personally feel that the only legitimate reason to hate pvp is if it's implemented incorrectly, such as having no downside to banditry and no punishment to griefing. Not that there is anything wrong with disliking pvp because you are bad or are not competitive, just know that sandboxes are the future of MMOs, and sandboxes generally entail non-consensual pvp. So start practicing!

The next generation of sandboxes look to fix all that. Games leading in this field of research are Day Z(I know the mod is like, the worst example, but I am referring to what they are trying to achieve), Embers of Caerus and Trials of Ascension. Maybe EQ next will have something innovate as well.

As for the methods of culling the heard of griefers, my personal favorites are player factions/reputations and single character servers, which also ties in to reputation. Both of which will be in ToA, fortunately.. not sure about EoC. Though my all-time favorite is permadeath, another feature of ToA. It will benefit trolls greatly, but also be their bane. Only the most pathetic of bastards will sit there grinding in a hardcore difficult game, gathering loot and gear all for the sake of risking his character to gank people, so you only need worry about bandits, which is a legitimate gameplay style.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I like PvP. In PvP games. Where the game was designed from ground up around the PvP. I like PvP in games like EVE Online for example.

I hate PvP in my PvE games. Where PvP is basically grinding the same battleground over and over again or where "Open world PvP" is added to the world by simply allowing players to attack each other in a PvE enviroment (I am at you AoC!).

Hell, i even liked PvP in Anarchy online, but that was only because of the fact gear was not level locked there and getting decent gear on your character required real planning - not grinding.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    I will say I find it amazing that they locked my satirical thread about this one, but have yet to lock this most obvious troll thread. This site's moderation is as always quite stellar.
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I like the way TERA have done their world pvp. Not a gank fest but still need to be smart when you flag yourself.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    I will say I find it amazing that they locked my satirical thread about this one, but have yet to lock this most obvious troll thread. This site's moderation is as always quite stellar.

Well if OP's intention was to make use fall in love with PVP then well so far it is just making people hate it even more. image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MalagarrMalagarr Member Posts: 13

There have been a lot of replies on this thread, and I do not doubt that my own opinions have been espoused by others here already.  But I'll state them anyway.

I don't hate PvP.  There are times I really enjoy it.  But there are times when I just want to roll through PvE content or go do my own thing.  Hence, I am very hesitant to play any game in which PvP is non consensual.  Having some PvP servers is fine.  But requiring everyone to participate in PvP all of the time is just poor business, since there are times when many of us want to take a slight break from the adrenaline rush that is PvP.

Now, every game is different.  Some games are designed as pure PvP games.  For those games, I log in knowing I am playing a PvP game (MWO, for instance).  If I don't want that rush, I don't log in to that game.

My gripe is when a game is constantly changing its mechanics (nerfing/buffing) across the board to make up for flaws in their PvP system.  That was what drove me to quit WoW years ago.  I'd spend tons of time and gold getting new gear and gemming/enchanting it.  I'd finally be set to really contribute on raids.  Then Blizzard would hit us with the nerf bat and I would have to go and re-gem/re-enchant all of my gear.  All because they were trying to balance for Arenas.

Things like that tend to create a lot of animosity towards people who push for PvP content in new MMOs.  Most of us enjoy PvP and like having it as an option in our MMOs.  What we don't like is when the devs cater to the PvP crowd at the expense of the PvE crowd.  I think most of us would be quite happy being able to drop in a PvP match without any regard for balance.  So a rogue stun locks us?  So what?  So a chanter mezzes us?  Big deal.  If we are with a group and trying to stick together, odds are someone will step up to help us out.  Why nerf the rogue and the chanter?  All that does is screw them over in PvE.  And that's what most devs seem to fail to realize.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

I'm truly sorry that is all you've gotten from this thread. 

For me it's been very informative. I know understand, empathize with the majority of posters here. 

Developers can do better. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"