Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What mechanics from EQ1 would you like to see in EQN?

Comments

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I definitely want dark scary nights where all you can see is the very area around your character and vaguely into the distance... I think it should be like this on all races as well for fairness.
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Hell levels!

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

Honestly I really think everyone needs to get past a 14 year old MMORPG game mechanics and start coming to terms with the reality that Everquest Next is going to be something entirely different in a parallel universe so to speak...

Why would SOE bring EQ1 or EQ2 gameplay into Everquest Next if they envision these titles to continue on their f2p models peoeple currently subscribe to?

Personally I wonder why they don't rehash EQ1 with upgraded graphics and a new engine as many people want to jump in the time machine and go back to the good ol days...

Project 1999 anyone?

I really hope they completely break with the unspoken sacred trust with their previous fanbase with Everquest Next and make it so revolutionary that the only thing remotely recognizeable from the past is lore, landscape layout, and MOB types...everything else should be scrapped except for a bit of nostalgia which would be so easy to impliment here and there for players to reminesce...

That has kind of been the problem with a lot of games today. They're so watered down, a lot of standard options in the past, are unheard of these days. Player Housing, good luck finding that, armor dyes, some are starting to bring it back, more character customization, lol, games are removing it more and more these days.

Especially if EQN is suppose to be a sandbox like game, there needs to be a lot of choices and variety. A lot of the older games weren't considered themeparks, nor sandboxes because they had variety, a lot of sandbox elements.

I loved being able to progress my character further with extra skills in EQ, or pvp in daoc and get extra abilities. I loved being able to dye my armor at will, add trophies of monsters I hunted to my house. Set up shop with my wares, play the trading game and rake in the platinum. Create a taxi service.

So many people today don't even know about the old standard mechanics that added depth and flavor to the game that if they were to add in all those things from games like eq, daoc, ao, ac, eve, people would think it was revolutionary because they haven't seen any of it in the last 10 years!

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Racial abilities (More along the lines of night vision, slam, regen and not +5 poison resist) 

Alcohol tolerance, Bind Wounds, and other fun (if not useful) skills.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

I miss going into a new dungeon and not having a single clue about it. Like Blackburrow after the first few low level gnolls are taken out.... "Hey, what's in this hollow tree here" "AAAAAAHAHHHHHH!!!!" You fall quite far into some much higher level gnolls and have to either fight the mobs that saw you, then gate out.....or try to figure out how to get back through the maze-like underbelly back to the surface.

Or the dungeons with slippery ice and cliffs. So many interesting variations for the time. They could do wonders now. Not the cheap usual floor spike that other games use too much now. 

Also being able to level up your beer tolerance by drinking and getting smashed. I remember having drunken races with spectators. Your whole screen moving drastically from side to side with every step and screen getting blurry.

Foraging up some tasty food to eat. Tracking down enemies with the tracking skill. Using spirit of the eagle to float from peak to peak of some zones high above enemies.

Using a level 1 spell to continually taunt a huge giant I had snared in the Plane of Power while my dps friends would chase after doing damage for quite a while before the huge guy finally died. I think that was in Plane of Tactics close to the entry.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Corpse runs

Gear without level restrictions(until raid gear)

Mob Camps

Taking an eternity to reach max level.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Great lists above.

How about eq1's day/night cycle?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by greenblood82

- trains

- corpse runs

- camping mobs for items

- no auction house

- classes should not be totally balanced for soloing

- no pok teleporters

- some rare low level items should still be valuable for highlevels

- no instances

This +

-No maps

-Factions like in EQ1

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Would love to have the classes intertwine with each other like they did in EQ1. I was a part of some not very traditional groups because the group mechanics allowed it. None of this strict Tank + heals + DPS thing. DPS was a luxury in that game and took a back seat to everything else really. You needed utility before DPS, if you could squeeze all your utility out of the first 4 or 5 people in your group, then you could afford to bring on some heavy pure dpsers. Always loved that about it.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Out of group and longer lasting buffs. This is the way to go with buffs. I remember my guild hanging out a the entrances to cities and offering free buffs to newbies to allow them to level faster. Great way to build communities. Buffs needs to be able to be cast out of group and last for longer periods, like in EQ1, based on the spell level/quality.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Great lists above.

And the rain that came out of no where with a sudden flash of lightning and thunder, making it harder to see

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by fyerwall
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Great lists above.

And the rain that came out of no where with a sudden flash of lightning and thunder, making it harder to see

Doh! That too!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I wish they'd bring back the need for specific classes. Like say, a necromancer for corpse summons, rogues for corpse dragging, a wizard/druid for porting, monk/bard/SK for pulling, etc etc. The need for specific classes creates a more dynamic social atmosphere for sure and helps steer players away from overplayed classes. I miss the feeling of being an essential part of my group/guild/raid because of my "special" abilities, unlike GW2 where everyone is essentially the same. That may be an over generalization, sure, but to me, GW2 definitely left out the roleplay in MMO"R"PG and made me miss one of the things that made EQ1 so great.
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by ace80k
    I wish they'd bring back the need for specific classes. Like say, a necromancer for corpse summons, rogues for corpse dragging, a wizard/druid for porting, monk/bard/SK for pulling, etc etc. The need for specific classes creates a more dynamic social atmosphere for sure and helps steer players away from overplayed classes. I miss the feeling of being an essential part of my group/guild/raid because of my "special" abilities, unlike GW2 where everyone is essentially the same. That may be an over generalization, sure, but to me, GW2 definitely left out the roleplay in MMO"R"PG and made me miss one of the things that made EQ1 so great.

With this too I hope they make a diverse world where you absolutely need X and Y class or else you're sitting on your ass. Kite groups viable in open areas, AOE groups in lesser dungeons perhaps, classes other than Cleric viable in a healing situation. Things that I can't think of but implement because they're good.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    I want some impact on the world.  Games currently have you dicking around with no impact on the world.......
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Trains. Train to zone. Move it or lose it!

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• Kw22Kw22 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Brodan

There are a lot of things from EQ1 I'd like to see make a return in EQN - and MMOs in general.

- The sense of danger. Huge level ranges and variety for zones / areas. Wandering, dangerous mobs.

- The sense of adventure, and a need to explore. I am opposed to most forms of fast travel if the game is built well enough to offer a sense of adventure while traveling. Where traveling is part of playing the game, and not something you have to do to play the game. The world has to be immersive.

- Mob difficulty. If you are fighting an even level normal mob, that mob should actually be able to kill you if you aren't paying attention. I'm tired of games with no challenge outside of bleeding edge raid content, where you can pull half a dozen mobs your level and mindlessly mow them down solo.

- Class dynamics / high skill ceiling. Make it rewarding to know your class and to be a good player. Bards were a good example of this. You were in a group and had respawn / patrol / wall aggro adds thinking your group was going to wipe. Then the bard charms one, puts it on another mob to tie two up, starts a mez cycle on the other four, calls out the kill order, and saves the group. All because they knew their class and were good at it.

- Make strategy and tactics count again. Bring back the importance of crowd control mechanics, and pulling / splitting /peeling mechanics. It doesn't matter how many abilities classes have if the game is easy enough to mass pull in dungeons and mindlessly AoE everything in sight with very little danger.

- Long leveling experience. I don't want to end up max level within 2 weeks, which is what happens most of the time with modern MMOs. If this game does end up having levels I would like to see it take several months for even hardcore players to reach max level. But the game has to support that with enough engaging content to where it doesn't feel like a mindless grind.

- Alternate Advancement. One of the later additions to EQ1 that I do really like. A good, complex AA system can really add a lot to the game.

- Meaningful item upgrades. It's hard to really care about gear these days when it's handed out like candy, and you've gone through 100 pieces by the time you're level 30. I remember working my ass off on my first character in EQ just to get a full suit of no-stat bronze armor by the time I was in my 20s. It was very satisfying because it wasn't just given to me.

Having said all of that, while I did love EQ1 in the early days, and after playing dozens of MMOs it is still my favorite experience, I certainly don't think it was perfect. One thing in particular was the crafting system. I'm really hoping that EQN takes inspiration from SWG, Vanguard, and EQ2 and has a robust crafting system on steroids.

I'm trying to wait as patiently as I can till Aug 2nd to see if they can pull off something great.

This guy's post wins.  Had I seen this thread earlier i'd have made a mirror post.  His eight points are the absolute highlights of what Everquest offered.  However i'll comment/add in a few ideas:

- No level requirement on 95% of items, excluding raid gear.  "Twinking" was one of my favorite things to do, experiencing the game a second time on a fresh class.  It bolsters lower level zone population and helps players potentially explore areas they may have missed the first time through.  

- Down with the Bazaar (No auction house).  The Commonlands Tunnel was our tradehub and promoted community more than anything.  It defined exactly what these games used to be about...  INTERACTING with other players.  It was a place to meet friends, find groups, buff lowbies, you could sit there all day buying/selling/buffing for plat.   If they insist on having an auction house i want there to be a horrendous fee (50% increased cost for buying, take 20-30% of the sellers total profit).  Promote player interaction.

-Group Play.  This should be the core of the game.  I can't recall a single Everquest memory that starts with "when i was running around by myself X______X", but i could give you 100 stories of memorable moments I had playing while in a group.  Grouping should be the efficient and prefered way to play.  It promotes more "supportive" classes instead of everyone worrying about how much damage they can do.  People made clerics, bards, enchanters, warriors, etc specifically for group play... people like to feel needed, bringing something specific and vital to a party.    I have no beef with people who enjoy soloing, I don't believe they should be able to do it with every class in the game.  Play a summoner if thats your prefered way to play a Multiplayer game.  

Probably a massively long post with his quote, i apologize.  To be continued if this thread stays active. 

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

I forgot about some of these things.

I was in huge demand for group ports to and from all places. Also single and group spirit of the wolf, thorn coat, skin like X, strength, regen, removing disease, and buff to all resists.

All of these were for random people, some donated, some I just did for free, some I /ooc'd my abilities for a small fee.

Was always fun times.

Then came the POK and suddenly a large chunk of my ports weren't making money anymore. I could still make profit for combo buff packages for groups and such which was ok. But the POK hurt my pocketbook a little. Made me go deeper into the game and get more difficult portals. Then I could still charge a bit.

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

I'd like there not to be any tasks that grant xp beyond level 20 or so. I'm ok with tasks that give some kind of physical reward... like a crafting component, a spell, a piece of "starter" equipment, but not xp. Quests should be few, far between, extensive and extremely rewarding (and voice acted imo).

Forced class interdependence in a vast majority of content. I want those required roles from EQ1, so sue me. I do think, however, that there should be more legitimate tanks than just warrior, and more healers than just cleric... and more support/crowd control than just enchanter.

I'd also like a lack of instant travel. Bring back boats, rafts, druid portals and that sense of wonder. Perhaps also allow some classes (if it makes sense to the class) to lay beacons anywhere in the world, and teleport themselves or groups to those beacons. Maybe a wealthy or powerful druid can construct a druid ring somewhere in the wild, then he (and possibly any other druid) can teleport to that ring.

Epic quests from the get go! I don't necessarily think epics should be weapons, as weapons are too quickly exchanged or upgraded. Epics could be helmets, or boots, or jewelry... or perhaps a whole item slot created specifically for them... and once you have them, some easily identifiable particle effect is added to your character... or maybe the epic is just a powerful spell or ability (think Ice Comet or Lifeburn) you can only acquire once you complete the quest.

/tgb on! Being able to buff other characters not in your group... and buffs lasting legitimate durations. I debate the idea of very high level buffs effecting low level characters, but in the end, I think perhaps if the duration is reduced exponentially, it's ok... as in, I think if, in 10 years, a level 100 is trying to power level a level 1, he should be able to if he is accompanying the level 1, reapplying buffs constantly, but he shouldn't simply be able to buff him once and that's it.

• JigawattsJigawatts Member UncommonPosts: 48

I agree with just about everything in this thread.

Only thing I can think to add that hasnt been mentioned yet (unless I accidently missed it), I want an event akin to The Sleeper. I want it to be insanely hard (like nearly, but not completely, impossible), and doable only once, then its gone forever. I want it hidden in the game at launch and I want one such event in every expansion.

• FascinezFascinez Member Posts: 12

Kiting, trains, feign death and pet pulling, slow leveling, camps, non-instanced dungeons that are so complex you can get lost in them (like lower guk, etc.,) truly massive world boss fights, wandering random epic mobs, trinity based group play....

I could go on and on.  I miss old everquest.

• mhoward48mhoward48 Member UncommonPosts: 99

I love the original EQ Quests. No big yellow question marks, saying look here a quest. there were many quest never found they say? I kind of like the mystery of finding them. It was fun.

I forget what it was called, but there was one  I made good money off of. Giving wisps to some gypsys,and getting a spell book to sell. I think that was how it went. There were many fun quest there.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

1. Trains

2. a stiffer death penalty than WOW   (it doesnt have be as harsh as EQ1)

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

One mechanic I want to see in EQN is:

"Put in work and time for your skills.  Get rid of the 'one coin buys all!' merchants."

The term 'learn a skill' is dwarfed by a single merchant providing all abilities to you for just some plat/gold.  I want to have abilities be special - only available to people who have put the time and thought into how to discover them.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Brodan

There are a lot of things from EQ1 I'd like to see make a return in EQN - and MMOs in general.

- The sense of danger. Huge level ranges and variety for zones / areas. Wandering, dangerous mobs.

- The sense of adventure, and a need to explore. I am opposed to most forms of fast travel if the game is built well enough to offer a sense of adventure while traveling. Where traveling is part of playing the game, and not something you have to do to play the game. The world has to be immersive.

- Mob difficulty. If you are fighting an even level normal mob, that mob should actually be able to kill you if you aren't paying attention. I'm tired of games with no challenge outside of bleeding edge raid content, where you can pull half a dozen mobs your level and mindlessly mow them down solo.

- Class dynamics / high skill ceiling. Make it rewarding to know your class and to be a good player. Bards were a good example of this. You were in a group and had respawn / patrol / wall aggro adds thinking your group was going to wipe. Then the bard charms one, puts it on another mob to tie two up, starts a mez cycle on the other four, calls out the kill order, and saves the group. All because they knew their class and were good at it.

- Make strategy and tactics count again. Bring back the importance of crowd control mechanics, and pulling / splitting /peeling mechanics. It doesn't matter how many abilities classes have if the game is easy enough to mass pull in dungeons and mindlessly AoE everything in sight with very little danger.

- Long leveling experience. I don't want to end up max level within 2 weeks, which is what happens most of the time with modern MMOs. If this game does end up having levels I would like to see it take several months for even hardcore players to reach max level. But the game has to support that with enough engaging content to where it doesn't feel like a mindless grind.

- Alternate Advancement. One of the later additions to EQ1 that I do really like. A good, complex AA system can really add a lot to the game.

- Meaningful item upgrades. It's hard to really care about gear these days when it's handed out like candy, and you've gone through 100 pieces by the time you're level 30. I remember working my ass off on my first character in EQ just to get a full suit of no-stat bronze armor by the time I was in my 20s. It was very satisfying because it wasn't just given to me.

Having said all of that, while I did love EQ1 in the early days, and after playing dozens of MMOs it is still my favorite experience, I certainly don't think it was perfect. One thing in particular was the crafting system. I'm really hoping that EQN takes inspiration from SWG, Vanguard, and EQ2 and has a robust crafting system on steroids.

I'm trying to wait as patiently as I can till Aug 2nd to see if they can pull off something great.

Love this post  <3