Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 is a success no matter how you feel about it.

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Lets face it GW2 is the rare gem that manage to break the WOW mold and made it B2P with monthly updates far more worthy than the traditional pay to use/sub model.

Yes I know some people dont enjoy GW2 and thats perfectly fine thats just human nature, we all can't enjoy the same thing that would be absurb, but you cant say GW2 i not a success in MMORPG industry.

Is GW2 success such a bad thing in grand scheme of it all?

I dont think so, GW2 made a dent that WoW clones are not the absolute in MMO there are rooms for changes and improvements.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Would someone really argue against this?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

Yes... Becuase thats what were all losing sleep about, GW2 being a potential success...

no one cares, go outside..

---

• OnecrazyguyOnecrazyguy Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Lets face it GW2 is the rare gem that manage to break the WOW mold and made it B2P with monthly updates far more worthy than the traditional pay to use/sub model.

Yes I know some people dont enjoy GW2 and thats perfectly fine thats just human nature, we all can't enjoy the same thing that would be absurb, but you cant say GW2 i not a success in MMORPG industry.

I dont think so, GW2 made a dent that WoW clones are not the absolute in MMO there are rooms for changes and improvements.

Depends on how you measure success. If it's in terms of gameplay, some would disagree violently with you. If it's in terms of fiscally, you'd be wrong. If it's in terms of being unique and having a decent following, I'd agree that you are correct.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Of course. You could find people who argue against anything. But that should not matter. But if you want to argue with them anyway,  you only need a thread like the OP created to lure them out :p

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

If you have read the boards for the past 6 months then yes there are people who argue about it.

Originally posted by godpuppet

Yes... Becuase thats what were all losing sleep about, GW2 being a potential success...

You seems to care when you took the time to post in this thread.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Depends on what you measure as success.
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Depends on what you measure as success.

How do you measure it?

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

Well, call it an objection of riduculousness to your statement.

it doesnt matter how people feel about it, if arena net made profit, it was a success..

what a few flamers say on an internet forum isnt going to change whats currently in their bank account..

---

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95

most people here live to argue against this nowadays.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Game got too boring for me and haven't played it since January :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Well, call it an objection of riduculousness to your statement.

it doesnt matter how people feel about it, if arena net made profit, it was a success..

what a few flamers say on an internet forum isnt going to change whats currently in their bank account..

Ok.

• PorkNailsPorkNails Member UncommonPosts: 65

this isn't the first post I see saying this, and its indeed true. But the success of guild wars was to be a game meant for casuals, pure casuals. 

My background is not WOW, as it was an easy game for my taste at the time. I played GW1 (first mmo i played, when i was 11 years old), then i went to Lineage 2, a really hardcore game, but i havent played a single game where it felt so good to finally craft my dagger and noticing that damage increase. It felt awsome, a real reward for the time and effort.

GW2 has very good mecanics (combat, lore, world feeling wise) but there are things that make it just too easy for players that play every day. Getting the best armor/weapon in the game its easy and from there its just the same until you get bored and make another character. And after the 6th character i already know the maps, the "dynamic" events, the vistas, everything... You can run a dungeons hundreds of times and never see a good drop. And even if you get an exotic, you already have your gear, what use does it have?

I love the way arena net keeps updating.. new content every month, very rare in a B2P. But then i get into a dungeon and i have to play super mario to complete it. Look at the bosses in this new dungeon, just like playing Jack & Dexter back in ps2.

I'm still waiting for that mmo that keeps me playing for years, never getting to the boring and mythic end game. And GW2 ain't it. 

EDIT:

Conclusion, it is a success because NCsoft made profit and its one of the best mmo's right now, which worries me a bit.

• PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

The game is good. It's made other games that have the point and click movements or stand still and use a skill gameplay seem obsolete now.

If a game has those systems in it I'm already bored of it because it feels clunky and old. 

But I haven't honestly played gw2 much other than the weekly wvw resets with my guild. Mainly because after going through the pve once I don't have a reason to redo it. Making other characters feels like a chore. If we could have WvW separate from PVE level progression I'd be playing it a lot more I think. But I really don't want to try another character and grind it up to 80 to be relevant in wvw situations. 

If the pve was harder, like it was in the betas, then it might be interesting. But they dumbed it down quite a bit because a lot of people were finding it hard to adjust to the new gameplay style. I remember AC in the betas. That was tough.. now it's easy :. 

Still a great game that hopefully changes the mold of others. I would be quite interested in other games developed by them in the future. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

A+. 

The OP was expressing an opinion by starting the thread. No one should shun him. What's worse is he tarnished the good fellow by telling him to go outside! Blah, hopefully he doesn't live in Phoenix. where it's suppose to go up to 115 degrees today. To gaming nerds like us, that could boil our blood in mere seconds.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Searias
    Game got too boring for me and haven't played it since January :P.

The topic of discussion is it's success. He didn't say 100% successful! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• kichwaskichwas Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by pedruzorro

this isn't the first post I see saying this, and its indeed true. But the success of guild wars was to be a game meant for casuals, pure casuals.

Either I misread you or you imply this is a bad thing.

If WoW is for the 10 million who are the 1% that are hardcore, maybe Guild Wars can be for the 2 million who are among the 99% that play things a little less obsessively. ;)

(Or maybe WoW isn't so hardcore... Just addictive... )

The again... what do these terms 'hardcore' and 'casual' actually mean. I'd wager nothing. Nothing more than an indicator of what the typist of them dislikes or likes.

Whether or not one likes GW2 or WoW or neither or both... it is VERY GOOD for MMOs in general, and even for these two, that there are now two successful MMOs in North America, and not just one.

- That gives upcoming MMOs some breathing room to innovate more, and to convince investors that its worth trying.

- It gives us a chance to have the next MMO not just be a port of something 7 years old from China, Japan, or Korea.

Guild Wars 2 is a great success. Its not a WoW killer - but it is a success. And these are both good things. Frankly a WoW killer would be a bad thing for the hobby - it would just replace one company's stagnant vision with another. Much better to have multiple games making profit and sporting healthy communities.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

It is completely meaningless to me how commercially successful a game is if I do not end up playing it.

If knowing a game has more people playing it than another grants you more security and a better feeling of purpose then so be it. I however make my own decisions and control my own destiny. Some people run with the lemmings while others aren't afraid to take new paths.

You stay sassy!

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

I don't play it, I have played it, but I don't really like it. With that said I glad it's a success because I want games that I don't play to be successful. I can't play them all and if the successful games were limited to the ones I play we would have a wopping 3 successful games a year.

Games I do play yes I want them to be even more successful, but that doesn't mean I need to bash on games I don't play. So kudos to gw2 and grats on being successful.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

If you have read the boards for the past 6 months then yes there are people who argue about it.

6 months ? " this game failed" has been going strong here since 2004. Go to the wow forums. People call that game a failure all the time.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

I don't care how successful any particular game is since I don't work for the company, I think GW2 brought a lot of innovation that is needed to this genre, but in the end i just got bored, it's way too casual oriented and your personal story is terrible and the renown heart/ Dynamic event system eventually just became like busy work that had no meaning to me. Game levels too fast, crafting is not that helpful , the economy is broken until you get into end game. So I don't dislike the game but it just didn't hold my attention. 

The title of this thread is just to try and start arguments.....why bother.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Tamanous

It is completely meaningless to me how commercially successful a game is if I do not end up playing it.

If knowing a game has more people playing it than another grants you more security and a better feeling of purpose then so be it. I however make my own decisions and control my own destiny. Some people run with the lemmings while others aren't afraid to take new paths.

So you don't play any MMORPG's ?

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Tuchaka

I don't care how successful any particular game is since I don't work for the company, I think GW2 brought a lot of innovation that is needed to this genre, but in the end i just got bored, it's way too casual oriented and your personal story is terrible and the renown heart/ Dynamic event system eventually just became like busy work that had no meaning to me. Game levels too fast, crafting is not that helpful , the economy is broken until you get into end game. So I don't dislike the game but it just didn't hold my attention. 

The title of this thread is just to try and start arguments.....why bother.

And you took the time to post because .......your bored ,it's too casual or you didn't understand the crafting ?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Yes indeed that is he single most important thing for MMOS.... a healthy population.

I have no idea what are you even trying to say here? that you like empty MMOS or MMOS which have very less players? image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DekahnDekahn Member UncommonPosts: 90
    another reassuring thread?