Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Dragon's Prophet: Review in Progress #3

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As we wind down our series of Review in Progress articles for Dragon's Prophet, we find ourselves nearing the end of our discovery process on the way to offering our final conclusions. In this week's article, Bill offers his thoughts on communication and much much more. Read on before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

I’m fairly certain that this will be the last Review In Progress piece for Dragon’s Prophet before we assign the game a score next week. Quite simply, with what I’ve experienced in the game so far, I’ve gone from an initial hopeful player, to one who just can’t wait to put the thing down and give the developers time to apply significant polish. In the weeks since the “open beta” launch, there has been one minor patch. The three starting zones have gone from filled with chatter and players to empty as the bulk of the devoted base is already at the level cap waiting on new content.  I know the fine folks at SOE and Runewaker are working hard, but judging by the lack of any new players coming in, and the lack of real communication as to what’s happening to many issues behind the scenes? Open Beta or not, Dragon’s Prophet launched a bit too early, and it’s going to have a tough time recovering.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Dragon's Prophet Review in Progress #3.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

After playing the FF 14 beta this past weekend, I have no desire to log into DP. I am sitting here waiting for the next phase of beta to start. Everything in DP revolves around grinding and a horrible RNG. Once you hit 60 the only thing you can do is grind out the level 60 instance in hopes of getting the blue armor sets, that does not seem to drop for your armor class.

The difficult levels on the dungeons are suppose to be for groups, but players have found away around that and are able to solo the 3 man, 5 man, and survival difficulties. Oh and let's not forget about the grind for the super rare dragon that is suppose to appear in one of the three dungeons in Leadis. Some people have gotten it within a few tries, while others have spent countless hours and 1000s of runs and still have not gotten it.

I gave up on this game after spending an entire day trying to get a blue helm to complete my blue armor set. Dragon's prophet is a real unrewarding experience, and randomized stats on gear doesn't help this game either. Most of the time you will end up with stats that are completely useless to you, and everybody else. Dragon taming is a grind as well, since you have to spend hours taming several dragons just to get the skills that you want. Since that are all random as well.

Last thing in my rant, if you want a really cool looking drake. That's a four legged flying dragon, be prepared to dump all of your points in charisma as well as buying a cash shop item to help you catch that dragon, because they are all considered ancients. Of course there is always the flying chickens which there seems to be an unlimited supply of.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

It's funny, but I picked up this game not long after launch, and never once saw the chat filled with chatter. The game seemed dead from the get go for me.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    This article is exactly how I feel. I had such high hopes but I'm basically in wait and see mode now.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

FRAPS works in DP if your video drivers are up to date.  It's not a FRAPS or driver issue, but rather a wonky DP issue.

As for the leveling issue, I guess I got lucky. Normally I can't make it to mid level without being bored to tears  leveling in an MMO. I also level slow compared to most players because I'm always going off on every side route and diversion there is. I still do that in DP, but I've got a 42  and a 30 currently  -  and that's with a lot of low level play because my son is still only level 8.

Those things aside, I think you're pretty spot on as to the average user's experience with the game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    This was much the same as my experience.  The areas felt dead very quickly and the leveling process was simply tedious.  I didn't play for long. 
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

I went back to a starter zone to work on the achievement to get a different pet instead of the chicken, and it was a very less populated experience than earlier in closed beta and early open beta.

Companies will learn over time, but by the time they do the sandbox craze will be over and we'll all want something else, and the market will be saturated with sandbox mmorpg's.  Anyone have a time machine, please?

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Haven't logged in for a few weeks the game just got boring the combat doesn't make up for the grind.  Should of known it would be a stupid grind fest like most games from asia.

With EQN, AA, ESO, Wild Star coming in the next year or 2 this game cannot compete if this were to come out 7 years ago maybe it would of had a chance.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I had high hopes for this game but it was a complete disappointment. It was extremely grindy and repetitive. Plus the RNG is terrible.

Smile

Anyone else feel kinda bad for the game that nobody has come to it's defense? I mean, even Darkfall has it's defenders. Hell, Mortal Online has it's diehard fans. Poor Dragon's Prophet...nobody loves you.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Ya  I thought this game would be better, but alas, uninstalled .  On a plus note, feels like you have the whole server to yourself.
  • urriel1970urriel1970 Member UncommonPosts: 120

this game went into obt way to soon..its a unfinished or unpolished product ..only reason they went in obt was money...the translations arent even finished..areas are not complete...the crafting sucks..the skill tree nees to be made over...the action is boring..and the game is dying ...but runewaker and sony dont care...post a negative thread ..they ban or take it down....they say they want your feed back..bullshit.....this game need's to go back to the drawing board..period!

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Another play-and-throw-away gimmick MMO. When will developers understand that long term commercial success and long term playability go together?
  • LanceKnightLanceKnight Member UncommonPosts: 5
    wow what an honest review.  the game does work like shit. and the publisher and developer's past is very questionable in the least. I'll agree that the game has some interesting concepts, BUT when its optimization is 3 times worse than their other game runes of magic (which came out almost 5 years ago ), that's just a deal breaker
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Anyone else feel kinda bad for the game that nobody has come to it's defense? I mean, even Darkfall has it's defenders. Hell, Mortal Online has it's diehard fans. Poor Dragon's Prophet...nobody loves you.

I like the game.  Bill already covered the good and bad parts.  It was a fair assessment.  I don't really feel like the SoE DP team really gives a rip about their customers.  They did a cash grab with founders packs, with no apology or regret.  I like the game, but why would I defend them?

If you play any other SoE game, or if you plan to play EQNext, it wasn't really a rip, was actually just discount Station Cash to spend on other games.

The game does need a lot of work, it does have potential though.

Crafting system = good.  Amount of space for crafting materials = bad.

Combat system = good.  Grind which makes you hate the combat = bad.

With a few tweaks it could be a real F2P gem. They just need to work on it. Maybe 6 months in it might be polished enough to bother with. Although EQN will probably be out by then, and no one will.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I like the game.  Bill already covered the good and bad parts.  It was a fair assessment.  I don't really feel like the SoE DP team really gives a rip about their customers.  They did a cash grab with founders packs, with no apology or regret.  I like the game, but why would I defend them?

I never said anyone should defend them. I just pointed out that even the most terrible games have it's defenders. So far it seems Dragon's Prophet has none.

• dammyboydammyboy Member UncommonPosts: 8
    well i myself am enjoying my trip in DP, sure the optimization sucks but i rly like the combat and most of all i just love the Dragon tame feature. Just caught my first ancient drake and i cant stop looking at it... it just look so amazing =)). Being able to fly on it and fight alongside it makes it a bomb ;)