Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else think that "Everquest Next" is a stupid name?

Comments

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Any project they do has a "-Next" suffix attached to it while in development.  The version of EQ after this one will also someday be called "EQ Next".

Actual release title is yet to be announced.

Everquest Next is the official name

https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson

scroll down a few tweets

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I'll agree that it sound like very little effort was put into the name. Although better than that random title years ago called DawnTide or some other two detergents together.

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Seliri

totally a complete, out of touch fail if it goes forward like this

not going to be promising if they can't understand EverQuest is a game name that doesn't have mainstream marketing appeal

I heard the end is near; also heard the new beginning is just around the corner...so why don't you take a peek and enlighten us all :)

As far as the name goes I thought the same thing about the Karate Kid movie, as it was obviously KungFu so why not the KungFu kid.

You build upon success as we have seen in sequels, prequels, series, remakes, etc...aren't we all more sentimenal then we care to believe?

Originally posted by Kuanshu

totally a complete, out of touch fail if it goes forward like this

not going to be promising if they can't understand EverQuest is a game name that doesn't have mainstream marketing appeal

I heard the end is near; also heard the new beginning is just around the corner...so why don't you take a peek and enlighten us all :)

As far as the name goes I thought the same thing about the Karate Kid movie, as it was obviously Kung Fu so why not the Kung Fu kid.

You build upon success as we have seen in sequels, prequels, series, remakes, etc...aren't we all more sentimenal then we care to believe?

Tapping into the EverQuest veterans isn't the question or the goal, it's a given. O_o

Wasn't World of Warcraft the Everquest killer so to speak? How long were players clammering for the next WoW Killer to emerge? WoW isn't even a factor to even consider anymore as its day is done. This goes for Everquest as well yet why would anyone want to recreate all that lore, all the lands, all the beasties, etc...from scratch...ugh...why not just use it and carry the name over from a revolution that started back in 1999?

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by BrucyBonus
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Sad to say... Everquest Next was just something to call it that sounded catchy. Now its snowballed so much I am not sure they can name it something else. No one would know what it was lol. 6 years of trying to come up with the next Everquest game and you think they could have come up with something better. Even the name Everquest 2 lacks something. Besides in 8 years from now when they are making Everquest 4, it wont be next any more.

They could name the Everquest after next Everquest: Next Next

I still know what you did last Everquest

After Everquest: Next Next they can call it Everquest: Next One.

Haha, good one

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Sad to say... Everquest Next was just something to call it that sounded catchy. Now its snowballed so much I am not sure they can name it something else. No one would know what it was lol. 6 years of trying to come up with the next Everquest game and you think they could have come up with something better. Even the name Everquest 2 lacks something. Besides in 8 years from now when they are making Everquest 4, it wont be next any more.

Haha, good one

More likely, "Everquest The Game After the Last One". ETGATLO rolls right off the tongue.

I like the name.  It conveys the idea that it's next generation, which 20 million MMO players have been looking for.

The proposal that they could name it anything and EQ players would play it regardless clearly explains why I am currently playing Dragon's Prophet and DC Online... wait, never mind.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Much better than World of Everquest.  I mean seriously?  WOE?

1woe

interjection ?w?

Definition of WOE

—used to express grief, regret, or distress

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

I think what they were going for here was a play on the Next Gen game term.

Basically it's the next next....

So we are basically getting one of the first ever 3rd generation games here with Everquest Next.

Also if you named it Everquest Dawn Breaking or something, you make it sound like a regular EQ expansion.

The Everquest Ultra sounds like a new video card or a new beer....bud not an RpG.

However, if EQ came out with a good tasting beer named EQ Ultra, I would definately try it.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Acidon

Odd, the name for sounds perfectly logical for being the Next offering in the EQ series.

Besides, let's all be very happy that "Unchained" wasn't in the cards.

Given that logic, what will the EverQuest game after "EverQuest Next" be called?  "EverQuest After"?

Actually, "EverQuest After" is better than "EverQuest Next."  And you can still derive logic from its meaning.  It comes After the other offerings in the series, right!?

I agree with the OP.  EQ "Next" is lame.  I would rather have just plain old "EverQuest 3"

I really hope it's just a working title!

Haha, good one

Actually this one had it right...instead of calling it Everquest Next, call it:

After Everquest

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by gigat
    Originally posted by Acidon

Odd, the name for sounds perfectly logical for being the Next offering in the EQ series.

Besides, let's all be very happy that "Unchained" wasn't in the cards.

Given that logic, what will the EverQuest game after "EverQuest Next" be called?  "EverQuest After"?

Actually, "EverQuest After" is better than "EverQuest Next."  And you can still derive logic from its meaning.  It comes After the other offerings in the series, right!?

I agree with the OP.  EQ "Next" is lame.  I would rather have just plain old "EverQuest 3"

I really hope it's just a working title!

Read the "38b.) ROBUST MARKETING - EverQuest 3 SHOULD NOT be named 'EverQuest Next'" section in the LOTPENSAB linked in my signature to see that it, sadly, is indeed the official game name... ;|

(((eyeroll))) 

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Name of the game does not matter, it is the content that counts.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Vidir
    Name of the game does not matter, it is the content that counts.

This^^^^^^^^^^

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    I actually think it is a great title.
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Stupid name for stupid game ha ha! Hope not but we cant expect much from SOE

Wrong.

Product name can be >EXTREMELY< important in marketing to a wider aspect of the intended demographic.

What's a Kleenex?

What's EBay?

What's a Samsung?

Name of a product matters less when building a brand.  What matters more is the content of such product.  That's what will build brand recognition and name.  If EQ Next is the best game you've ever played, that name will mean a lot more than it does now.  And you will see it in a much better light.

I personally don't think I'd tell a babe I was "courting" that I've played EQ2 unless it was obvious that she was an open video gamer herself.

LOL I think calling her a babe might be worse for your chances of "courting."

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Well fortunately the average MMO gamer is close to 30, more than old enough to be comfortable with what they do and who they are even when talking to others. If not that's a pshycological issue on thier end and not SoE's problem.

Although other possibilities were there the official announcment signals that the ball is already rolling on box art and promotional posters, stands, etc. it's a done deal and if anything people will vaguely remember the name EverQuest even if they can't place why. It's a recognition tigger.
  • SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

I hate the name. 

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I disagree with calling it something without Everquest in it, you have a name recognition, you use it.  Next was just a place holder, but it had gotten its own recognition, so I imagine that is why they chose to roll with it.

I could care less if they call it Stinky Turd Dungeon, and you had to go ask people if they got STD yet :)  I care what the game is, not its name.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Everquest Eruption

Everquest Times

Everquest sandbox

Everquest Destiny

Everquest rite of passage 

Everquest gold

Everquest emerald

Everquest ever

Everquest quest

Everquest epic

Everquest axe sword bow dagger and staff

everquest mission

everquest identity

Everquest new

everquest after

everquest never before

everquest bacon

everquest anime 

Everquest the story

Everquest saga

everquest genesis

everquest station

everquest box

everquest joy

everquest high

everquest tree

everquest rock

everquest master

everquest journey

everquest XP

everquest horizon

i was trying to think of cheesy ones but some are not that bad. Especially bacon.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Originally posted by Incomparable

Everquest Eruption

Everquest Times

Everquest sandbox

Everquest Destiny

Everquest rite of passage 

Everquest gold

Everquest emerald

Everquest ever

Everquest quest

Everquest epic

Everquest axe sword bow dagger and staff

everquest mission

everquest identity

Everquest new

everquest after

everquest never before

everquest bacon

everquest anime 

Everquest the story

Everquest saga

everquest genesis

everquest station

everquest box

everquest joy

everquest high

everquest tree

everquest rock

everquest master

everquest journey

everquest XP

everquest horizon

i was trying to think of cheesy ones but some are not that bad. Especially bacon.

<3 Everquest Bacon

side note - I thought Everquest Horizons was a good name back before we found out 'Next' was going to stand as the name. 

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

Haha, good one

Actually this one had it right...instead of calling it Everquest Next, call it:

After Everquest

And the one following will be named

4EverQuest

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

Planetside 2 was called Planetside:Next right up until SOE Live... maybe a bit before. 

I would not be shocked to hear that it is changed. Either way who cares what it is called. 

On a side note, I will never understand the people that feel the need to spam a bunch of potential names for things. Why?

Must be what the people with "Marketing" degrees do since they can never find a job in their field.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I do not have a problem with the name, as "Everquest: Revolution" or "Everquest: <insert EQ related name here>"  makes it sound like an expansion for Everquest 1. It is a more thoughtful than just Everquest 3

or they could call it Star Wars Galaxies 2 image  or maybe Everquest Galaxies considering it is meant to be a sandbox like SWG was