Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Marvel Heroes: MMO-lite

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Marvel Heroes Online has been a game that many Marvel fans and MMO fans together have looked forward to playing. Released in early June, we've been putting our superheroes through their paces since then to offer up our official review. See what we discovered and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

I’ll tell you the truth, I’m still not entirely sure how to classify this game. It bills itself as an MMORPG, but I don’t think that’s an accurate label. While it certainly is online and there are certainly a multitude of people playing at any given moment, it feels far more like a solo game with some occasional cooperative situations. I also don’t consider this an RPG. While there is a definite story and each player character is technically a part of that story, with so many copies of the same characters running around the landscape, neither of those things ring true.

Read more of Lisa Jonte's Marvel Heroes: MMO-Lite.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    It Diablo 3 an MMORPG? Neither is Marvel Heroes.

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    I have been playing the game since early beta.  I still play it.  Its more like Diablo II as an mmo with superheroes/marvel locations pasted over them.  Hulk=Barbarian, Captain America=Paladin or Monk, etc. I see more similarities with Diablo II or Diablo III (but done better than Diablo III).  Its just on a larger scale.  Its the same kind of mindless fun. In Diablo II/III all the characters are the same, just with slightly different appearances, so each Barbarian was like the other Barbarians, so its like that in this one.  Only difference is you use a single costume to stand apart from the others in Marvel Heroes.  All in all, I would have given it a higher score, though its not really a true MMO, its more of an ARPG, like Diablo, II, III. 
  • TimassinTimassin Member Posts: 14
    This has more build options then mmorpgs. You can skill how ever you in what ever trees. Mmorpgs are 95% have 2 builds per char that everyone puts the same points in.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    It is a very nice game but i am waiting for more heroes be released, especially i am hoping for Gambit or Nightcrawler as my time in the beta did not really give me a strong desire to re-run the game several times.

This have been a good conversation

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I have been playing it for the past few days. If my MMO was a meal, MH would be the snack to tie me over till I got my supper. For what it is, I may keep playing and chuck them a few bucks now and then. I really am having some mindless fun.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    my main issue is once u finish story mode there is no point in playing anymore. I finished at lvl 28 and the lvl max is 60. whats the point of playing anymore? no dungeons or instances to run. no raids. dailies r just little "instances" that u already ran during story mode just harder. there is no reason to acquire better gear when there is no use for it. grinding the same handful of dailies to get better gear to more easily grind the same dailies is pointless to me. as stated in the article the gear doesn't change ur look and the dailies were done in story mode so when u finish story mode the game pretty much dies at that point. nothing new to see or do.  

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

yeah, it is pretty much Diablo with shared maps and auto grouped boss levels but it is fun and it is the game that I might have hoped D3 could have been.

I have been playing it in between FFXIV beta weekends. If you want some quick fun that doesn't take a lot out of out then this is a  decent enough game.

All die, so die well.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

"I’ll tell you the truth, I’m still not entirely sure how to classify this game. It bills itself as an MMORPG, but I don’t think that’s an accurate label. While it certainly is online and there are certainly a multitude of people playing at any given moment, it feels far more like a solo game with some occasional cooperative situations. I also don’t consider this an RPG. While there is a definite story and each player character is technically a part of that story, with so many copies of the same characters running around the landscape, neither of those things ring true."

You just described almost every MMO released in the last what, 7 years!?!?!?!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

You just described almost every MMO released in the last what, 7 years!!!!

As I was reading, that's exactly what I was thinking.

They have never called themselves an mmorpg as far as I know. They've always said they're game is an mmoArpg. MH is a typical arpg with multiplayer areas.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

To those who keep comparing this game to Diablo III, it is not Diablo III.  Imagine Diablo III with like 50 people in the same area taking down a boss.  That is the biggest difference.

What does this game have that Diablo III does not?  A Cow Level... 'nuff said.

Marvel Heroes is a fun game.  It is always a blast to see a purple item drop and wonder what it is, or isn't I suppose.

If they added a more robust Supergroup functionality, player/guild housing and some other... nice things, it would be far far more fun than it is already. 

Is this a game where you will spend 3 months digging into and going nuts in? No.  But it is one where you can play for a day or two, or 15 minutes to say "hey that was pretty fun". 

Since it is "free", you can technically play the game without spending a dime and get characters and costumes as drops.   Which brings up the replayability if you do not pay anything.

• XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by Timassin

This has more build options then mmorpgs. You can skill how ever you in what ever trees. Mmorpgs are 95% have 2 builds per char that everyone puts the same points in.

You obviously have not played a variety of mmorpgs. Just to name one, Rift, has a huge amount different builds for each class. Marvel Heroes is probably one of the farthest down the totem pole for variety of builds.

• LionShardLionShard Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Doesn't stand a chance against Path of Exile in MMO ARPG category and does not stand a chance against DCUO in superhero MMO cathegory.
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

As far as build options go there are only a few powers that are worth leveling.  Plus you are very limited in power points, so every hero who has some knowledge of the game is pretty much the same as any other.

Its fun the first time you play in a mindless sort of way, but since alts will be doing the same areas/missions is gets old fast.

Marvel should be ashamed for putting its name on this pile of crap.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    the game is really really really boring. There is no special feel when playing.. everything just feels MEH
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    A year of hype for a 5.6, not really a MMO, we need more names for the variety of online games out there. I think there are browser games out there that are better, I am a comics fan myself but would not play this.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I'm a Marvel fan and hate this game... I'm pretty sure most Marvel fans do. There are of course some out there who don't, and good for you, but I wanted to see a fully realized Marvel Universe in 3D... This game feels like a reskinned Diablo game.

Smile

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

It is fun if you just jump in once and a while and play casually.  I play twice a week for an hour with my five year old on my lap pressing the special attack buttons.  It can be a nice diversion from games where you have to think like Eve.

Overall, I agree that there is little to hold anyone for an extended period of time.  Most people finish all the content before level 35 and there is no end-game.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    this game is in no way shape or form an MMO. You guys will slap that tag on everything nowadays. Give me a break.

Joined - July 2004

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    This isn't anywhere near as good as D3. It's embarrassing to even have it compared to D3. It's not as polished, it's not as fun it's not...anything as good or better than D3.
  • davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Path Of exile FTW
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Originally posted by remyburke

this game is in no way shape or form an MMO. You guys will slap that tag on everything nowadays. Give me a break.

They slapped it on themselves. We didn't give it to them.

This is from their website's about the game section.

Game Overview

Marvel Heroes is a FREE-TO-PLAY action-packed massively multiplayer online game created by David Brevik, the visionary behind Diablo and Diablo 2. Set in the iconic Marvel Universe, Marvel Heroes combines the core game-play style of Action RPGs and MMOs with the expansive library of heroes from the Marvel Universe. In the game, players can collect and play as their favorite Marvel Superheroes (including Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider Man, Captain America and many others). Team up with friends and try to stop Doctor Doom from devastating the world with the power of the Cosmic Cube in a story written by Marvel comic super-scribe Brian Michael Bendis

https://marvelheroes.com/about/game-info

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

a marvel diablo-like should have been a no brainer. How did everything go so wrong??

(hint: david brevik wink wink)

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    If this title lasts more than 12 months, I'd be very surprised. It's about as deep as a hotel ash tray and just about as fun to play. Marvel Ultimate Alliance had far more interactive environments and interesting game play. This game is just Diablo 2 with all the fun removed and a Marvel skin thrown on for IP recognition. As much of a disappointment to me as the original release of SWTOR.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

What a dumb article. Who ever said this is supposed to be an MMORPG?

Its an action rpg like diablo, all of those games are just mindless fun, not much depth and you can never create your own character in those either. You just pick a class.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!