Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most exciting news for years is that LOTRO will not add any more group-content. Is this the trig

Mr_CMr_C Member Posts: 112

LOTRO (Turbine) has stated that the majority of their playerbase is not interested in group-content, and because of this they will not focus on adding more group-content to the game. Which I find absolutely fantastic!

Could this be the trigger that will change the whole genre with many other games to follow the same example?

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    How do you know the majority don't want group content ?
  • DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

The rest of the genre? There's already a genre aimed at people playing alone... it's called an rpg. 

I don't see the point of playing a mmo if you don't want to be in groups at all. 

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Don't feed the trolls !
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by DamonVile

While the OP didn't provide a link, he did state the Turbine made that particular claim, not himself. And if the claim is true and Turbine did in fact state that the majority of their players do not want group content, it's very likely that tracking data is showing them that their players do not engage in group content.

A lot of people fault developers for "caving" in to players and not staying true to their vision, but this is in line with what Blizzard did. Track what the players do and if no one or almost no one does something, you either make it more attractive to do so, or you stop devoting resources towards developing it further.

It's not a question of right or wrong, good or bad; but one of time management for developers. Why build content for people who don't want it? And so you get this scenario in which some players get upset that they no longer get that content not realizing that they are part of the minority. And yes, it sucks getting overruled, but it happens.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Mr_C

LOTRO (Turbine) has stated that the majority of their playerbase is not interested in group-content, and because of this they will not focus on adding more group-content to the game. Which I find absolutely fantastic!

Could this be the trigger that will change the whole genre with many other games to follow the same example?

Yes soon we have:

MSORPG=MASSIVE SOLO ONLINE ROLE PLAYING GAME

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

The rest of the genre? There's already a genre aimed at people playing alone... it's called an rpg. 

I don't see the point of playing a mmo if you don't want to be in groups at all. 

Maybe the knowledge of knowing others also running around in same world you are or for trade some chat or other interaction but quest or grind solo.

Some also wanne solo but from time to time doing group events or play with friend.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

Maybe the knowledge of knowing others also running around in same world you are or for trade some chat or other interaction but quest or grind solo.

Some also wanne solo but from time to time doing group events or play with friend.

That's pretty much me in a nutshell.

However, I do enjoy gruoping with guild members.

Having said that, I think mmo's should have group content. Part of the problem is that these games might have one quest where people group and then disband afterwards. LOTRO is guilty of this.

It's more of a pain in the neck to get a group for one 15 minute quest. There should be large quest chains that are group only which offer different rewards and of course challenges.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    we are going to stop devlelopment on our failure of a wow rip-off set in middle earth..  A sure sign of an amazing future to come??
  • daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

no new group content to me says the game will have no more content added. a mmorpg is a group game. they are meant to be played with other people. I mean that might be my own opinion but massive MULTIPLAYER online role playing game.  Can't really be multiplayer if your not gonna have group content. If more games decide to not add group content it is just the end of mmorpgs in general. 

A lot of mmos try to use oh will leveling is game content. To me I think thats bullshit. More and more mmorpg devs are beginning to realize thats truth. MMORPGS don't truely begin until you reach skill cap / level cap. To do the raids, the hard modes, the heroics, the massive pvp. These are things most people enjoy in mmos and its why most cryptic games have more nd game content than anythying else and why you can level from 1-cap in no time. The point of leveling is 2 things. Set a story, and to teach the player their class and game mechanics. To prepare them for end game. END GAME, is THE GAME. 

No additional group content is death. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Rusque

While the OP didn't provide a link, he did state the Turbine made that particular claim, not himself.

It's not a question of right or wrong, good or bad; but one of time management for developers. Why build content for people who don't want it? And so you get this scenario in which some players get upset that they no longer get that content not realizing that they are part of the minority. And yes, it sucks getting overruled, but it happens.

Agreed. A link would've been a nice addition to this "most exciting news" indeed...

And agreed the latter part as well, it's not good or bad, simply a fact. (that's why I don't get the "news" part...) It's on forum threads since the two-stepped release of Isengard and later Rohan. But even with those threads around, I've never seen a statement of "we won't add any more group content", the furthest was something like an acknowledment that only a minority are interested in raiding nowadays.

So yep, OP provide a link please or it didn't happened :)

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

Give me more games with actually difficult goals, which are also group content.  If I want solo play, I'll play the solo games I own.

I think people have never, truly gotten past the addiction of chat rooms (and obviously b-boards) of the early Internet.  Nothing like a cozy chat window for quipping. Just give these players a chat room channel for their solo games.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by daydreamerxx

no new group content to me says the game will have no more content added. a mmorpg is a group game. they are meant to be played with other people. I mean that might be my own opinion but massive MULTIPLAYER online role playing game.  Can't really be multiplayer if your not gonna have group content. If more games decide to not add group content it is just the end of mmorpgs in general. 

A lot of mmos try to use oh will leveling is game content. To me I think thats bullshit. More and more mmorpg devs are beginning to realize thats truth. MMORPGS don't truely begin until you reach skill cap / level cap. To do the raids, the hard modes, the heroics, the massive pvp. These are things most people enjoy in mmos and its why most cryptic games have more nd game content than anythying else and why you can level from 1-cap in no time. The point of leveling is 2 things. Set a story, and to teach the player their class and game mechanics. To prepare them for end game. END GAME, is THE GAME. 

No additional group content is death. 

IMO you are completely wrong, totally off base.  Leveling is the majority of content in these games, or rather progression is.There is typically less to do at end game and it is far far more repetetive.  The majority of players, yes even in wow, never even get to end game, never do the raids, never do the hard modes and only engage in pvp occasionally.

Leveling/progressing their characters is what the majority enjoy doing in MMO's.

The end game is literally the end, the waiting period just filled with a few things to keep people playing and paying till the next expansion.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

So they are just adding raid content then? 

But on the more serious side, LoTRO has seemed to be heading that way (toward mostly solo play) for a while now.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I tried to find  any trace of where they said this and have come up empty handed.  A link from the OP would be nice.

Steam: Neph

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Don't believe unverified stories. Unless he links to an official Turbine source it isn't true. I quickly checked the lotro forums and didn't see anything about it.  http://forums.lotro.com/ 

While the OP didn't provide a link, he did state the Turbine made that particular claim, not himself. And if the claim is true and Turbine did in fact state that the majority of their players do not want group content, it's very likely that tracking data is showing them that their players do not engage in group content.

A lot of people fault developers for "caving" in to players and not staying true to their vision, but this is in line with what Blizzard did. Track what the players do and if no one or almost no one does something, you either make it more attractive to do so, or you stop devoting resources towards developing it further.

Ah makes sense. You see so many ppl come here and put words in devs mouths you tend to question any statment that doesn't come with evidence.

The guild I'm part of has a large following in lotr and they have lots of static groups that only play together so from my perspective it doesn't ring true that most don't want group content. All I ever see in that games voice coms room is groups of people playing together. But my experience is only a very small sample of the playe rbase.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

The majority of players, yes even in wow, never even get to end game, never do the raids, never do the hard modes and only engage in pvp occasionally.

Leveling/progressing their characters is what the majority enjoy doing in MMO's.

Unless you've got some facts I've never seen I don't knwo where you get this. In TBC blizzard said they wanted to open up raiding to the player base because lvling was only about 5% of the gaming experience. That was why the focus of raiding went from 40 man to 25/10 man raiding and hard modes were added so normal 5 man dungeons became more accessable to people.

By the end of tbc they said the raiding population went from less than 5% to over 40% They never listed any stats for 5 mans that I saw but I don't know of many long time players that never did them.

Experiences may vary from mmo to mmo but I've never seen anything that states the majority don't get to end game unless maybe you include people who only play a month and quit. but anyone that sets their focus on development that includes people who quit in the first month as things players like to do deserves to fail.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Some of my best memories in mmo's are giant player interactions. 

WoW raiding, battlegrounds etc

Lineage 2 castle sieges

Really the only time I soloed in an mmo was to level when I wasn't sure how long I would be playing. Anytime I knew I had 1+ hours to play I would play in group content. 

I don't think group playing should be forced at all times, but I also don't think they should abandon group content. I personally like a nice mix of both and one of the reasons that sets mmo's apart from other game genres. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I can't seem to find any indication that Turbine will no longer make group content.

My sense it that it's one of several possible misunderstandings:

1, Turbine will no longer create Main Storylines that solely require group content

2, Turbine will no longer create singular quests that require groups.

or the other possible explanation, the OP read/heard something a dev said and just created this conclusion.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think this more or less shows Turbine is trying to slack off on content creation by alienating and focusing only on one area.To say "majority" never means all and of course they would know that.

I could write a long article as to the many reasons why this is a bad decision but bottom line is it makes it look like Turbine doesn't know what they are doing so they are going to choose one easy approach and focusing the blame on the players for wanting it.

There are other forms of content than just questing,which i am pretty sure what this is all about.

I don't agree with the current trend of auto grouping but it does seem to be a success in EVERY game.If Turbine is paying attention at all to what is working in games,then you would think this a no brainer.Create some good content that would bring players together,even if they are hermits,i bet with auto grouping they would enjoy good content that way.

Alliance book burns in FFXI=working

Wow instance dungeons are group content=working

Besieged in FFXi=working VERY well and after many years

Rifts=working

Fate system FFXIV=working

Defiance has their system that i don't remember what it is called but also working..Arkfalls?

I am sure there are many other group content and systems that are working in games.

So in other words HELLO Turbine are you awake?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Not engaging in group content could also mean Turbine does not create good content because in my other post i have proven that group content if done well DOES work and imo it ALWAYS works if it is decent content.

The ONLY complaints i have ever heard on quality group content is time restrictions and making it too hard,example need a large group of 30 elite with all day to spend on one fight or too laggy,all of which can be remedied.If content is easy to get to and easy to form a group,example auto grouping and the content is fun,i would say 95% will enjoy it and would prove Turbine is either outright lying to make it easier on them self or they just don`t have a clue.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I have a mixed feeling about this. I've done group content in LOTRO before and enjoyed it and I know there are large guilds that do dungeons together and other events.  An MMO feels like it should have group content.  I still want to be able to level if I am solo, but I see nothing wrong with adding some group content in the game.  For the longest time I always preferred playing in groups but over the years my feeling has changed on this topic.  Sometimes I log in for half an hour or so and want to just harvest or do a quest or two.  I might not want the frustration of trying to get a group with tank, healer, dps etc.  (This is where GW2 shines!).  Anyway, I'll continue playing and probably enjoy it. 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

the question I need to ask is since when LOTRO ever was used to as bringing something new to genre? most of people on't even care.

so sorry I don't think LOTRO are important enough for most people even notice this kind of news

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Mr_C

Trigger no, but it does make sense.   They went to a business model that focuses on moentizing an individual, and it makes more sense to push their development of new content in that direction.  However, I am surprised that they would be developing anything at all, since their IP ends at the end of the year. 

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

the question I need to ask is since when LOTRO ever was used to as bringing something new to genre? most of people on't even care.

so sorry I don't think LOTRO are important enough for most people even notice this kind of news

Their cosmetic wardrobe system was groundbreaking and innovative when released.  Their scalable skirmish technology was definitely something new and pretty cool.  Monster play, their approach to pvp, is also really innovative and cool.  How about their implementation of player music and being able to play ABC files in the game?  They have a very robust emote system as well and have done a few things with emotes that most (or all) games don't (e.g. consumable emotes).  The original dread system was also rather innovative and interesting.

The problem with your most people (which is obviously code for you) is that they obviously didn't think for themselves if they thought at all.  They just spouted some mindless gamer diatribe to sound cool without actually thinking it through.  The game has a lot of problems, but you didn't really hit on any of them.

I would need to see a link to prove the OPs point before I'll buy into that.

and did any MMO copy that? again I don't think LOTRO is important in this genre  to bring anything new or make others devs do "oh I should do that" sorry Lotro is a niche game and like most Niche games its under radar and hardly bring new things, even if he do make a new thing groundbreaking if that don't make the number raise for that only new thing it will change nothing.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
This discussion has been closed.