Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next to perfect MMORPG?

ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

Every game so far has its faults, and most of them have more faults than good things about them sadly.

Imagine an MMORPG with best of all worlds:

Combat and movement fluidity of GW2

Combat at the level of TERA

Story as good as World of Warcraft (pre cataclysm)

Depth of game as deep as EVE

PvP at the level of original Guild Wars

Massive scale battle areas of Warhammer Online (or if GW2 had done WvW correctly)

Freedom of character customization from Aion

Crafting at the level Star Wars Galaxies (maybe a bit more streamlined?)

Housing of ArcheAge(?)

Cutscenes at the level of Blade & Soul

Vanity customization levels of GW2

Character progression of Age of Wushu

Dungeon and Raid experience of World of Warcraft (before the game started catering for casuals, pre Cataclysm/WotLK)

Exploration at the level of GW2 (not too much, not too little, but tons of variety)

I personally wouldnt mind having one giant game that monopolizes the entire of MMORPG industry by being so good that other games could not stand a chance in comparison to it.

Just think of all the great things of every game you loved put in to one game, but thats just my list so feel free to share your ideals =)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    I agree with you on many of the points of interest (especially the GW1 pvp highlight), although I would choose Lotro story over WoW anyday, I pretty much agree with everything said. I actually like where current mmorpg's are at aside from odd cash shops and models. But yes, I'd love to see a game with the best of the best into one.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    My perfect MMO would be Asheron's Call with Neverwinter's Combat and Elder Scrolls Online Skill tree system.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    I'd personally like to see the CGI team from Blizzard do the cutscenes for the MMO. Between them and Blurr Studios are the best artists in the industry for that type of work.

Blizzard's animated cutscenes are second to none, yes. But the cutscenes rendered with ingame engine are the best in Blade & Soul in my opinion.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by ichihaifu

Imagine a game with best of all worlds:

no ty. TERA has a good combat idea, but very badly excecuted with slow animation locks and no freedom whatsoever. The only thing that i found very well done about Teras combat was the impact of the weapon on your enemy's body and that is because of the colition detection, not the combat itself. Zero action / player skill at all due to the limitations in that combat because they tried tomake an action combat mechanic with the system of a shooter game.

Change this point to - Combat at the level of Bayonetta or God of War, and then i will agree 100% with your entire post.

Originally posted by rojo6934

no ty. TERA has a good combat idea, but very badly excecuted with slow animation locks and no freedom whatsoever. The only thing that i found very well done about Teras combat was the impact of the weapon on your enemy's body and that is because of the colition detection, not the combat itself. Zero action / player skill at all due to the limitations in that combat.

Change this point to - Combat at the level of Bayonetta or God of War, and then i will agree 100% with your entire post.

They are not MMORPG's, and I cannot imagine MMO being able to handle such sophisticated combat systems on such a large scale. And by no means I meant Combat of TERA, but at the level of TERA with fluidity of GW2 (combine 1 and 2)

no ty. TERA has a good combat idea, but very badly excecuted with slow animation locks and no freedom whatsoever. The only thing that i found very well done about Teras combat was the impact of the weapon on your enemy's body and that is because of the colition detection, not the combat itself. Zero action / player skill at all due to the limitations in that combat.

They are not MMORPG's, and I cannot imagine MMO being able to handle such sophisticated combat systems on such a large scale. And by no means I meant Combat of TERA, but at the level of TERA with fluidity of GW2 (combine 1 and 2)

when i played the korean beta of Blade & Soul i was astonished with its superior combat compared to Tera (and even the downed mechanic from GW2 in place but you could crawl a bit). Of course this one is personal preference.

no ty. TERA has a good combat idea, but very badly excecuted with slow animation locks and no freedom whatsoever. The only thing that i found very well done about Teras combat was the impact of the weapon on your enemy's body and that is because of the colition detection, not the combat itself. Zero action / player skill at all due to the limitations in that combat because they tried tomake an action combat mechanic with the system of a shooter game.

I personally believe that TERA has some of the best combat mechanics than any other MMO currently. Unlike Guild Wars 2 the weapons the characters actually look like they're swinging a weighted sword and while yes you might be rooted but lets go back to reality. You're nothing going to see someone swinging a claymore that's longer than their own body while running around at full speed without any issues at all.

I agree Tera did that well, and along with colition detection made the combat more bearable to me because it felt more real in that specific aspect. But i got to a point where the flaws overcame the goods and i had to stop. Like i said in other comment, I feel that Blade & soul is achieving with its combat what Tera didnt. But thats my personal opinion too.

I personally believe that TERA has some of the best combat mechanics than any other MMO currently. Unlike Guild Wars 2 the weapons the characters actually look like they're swinging a weighted sword and while yes you might be rooted but lets go back to reality. You're nothing going to see someone swinging a claymore that's longer than their own body while running around at full speed without any issues at all.

I agree, but I dont know how far you have dabbled in to GW2 as what you seem to describe doesnt exactly match what I see in game. True enough some greatsword skills are mind boggling in terms of how realistic they are, however most of them (except asuras) execute skills quite realistically. If you do a combo of multiple strikes in succession you are rooted in place, you can move but the attack will be interrupted. If you spin your character leans backwards to counter the weight of the blade. If you spin with 2 weapons your character takes point of focus in order to not lose balance.

Just small details no-one pays attention to, but they are in place.

I agree Tera did that well, and along with colition detection made the combat more bearable to me because it felt more real in that specific aspect. But i got to a point where the flaws overcame the goods and i had to stop. Like i said in other comment, I feel that Blade & soul is achieving with its combat what Tera didnt. But thats my personal opinion too.

I can not tell because I have yet to get the feeling of Blade & Soul. Combat is something no videos and screenshots can cover, so I can not really recommend or compare it to TERA yet myself. I would put B&S to replace TERA without a doubt, but I need to know what it is like first.

I thoroughly played Guild Wars 2 for a very long time and if it wasn't for the fact that someone over in China still has access to my account while Arena Net is going on their 3rd week without getting a response from my ticket. I however do have a two handed Charr warrior, a two handed human Mesmer, a necromancer, all of which are level 80. I've also dabbled with the other classes but overall the game feels like there's little to no rooting as far as realism is concerned for combat.

I admit that GW2 combat is not the most realistic you can come across but I personally have nothing against it and mostly love every aspect of it. Even I have some things I wish to have fixed but they mostly concern elementalist's and I can live with them.

But fluidity and realism are also two different things for me, responsiveness plays probably the biggest part in fluidity and I cannot get that responsiveness from my character in TERA that I get in GW2 and even WoW (to some degree) because of the rooting factor.

I thoroughly played Guild Wars 2 for a very long time and if it wasn't for the fact that someone over in China still has access to my account while Arena Net is going on their 3rd week without getting a response from my ticket. I however do have a two handed Charr warrior, a two handed human Mesmer, a necromancer, all of which are level 80. I've also dabbled with the other classes but overall the game feels like there's little to no rooting as far as realism is concerned for combat.

i think both GW2 and Tera suffers from this. GW2 has no rooting, and TERA has beyond rooting. In order to make it more realistic they should allow movement while fighting, but at a reduced speed. Neverwinter did that with the wizard in their very first beta i think and then they screwed everything and rooted the crap out of it lol.

Now that we discussing all this i noticed that while Melee combat like you say feels more real in Tera due to the pointes already discussed, Magicians feels more real in GW2 because of the fluidity of the casting even while moving. In Tera is just one dancing animation that cuts abruptly to start a second animation for another spell.

EDIT: oh and just remembered the Azura in GW2 feels pretty real since its a tiny race they kind of fight a bit off balance, i loved that but didnt feel that with bigger races at all. So at least the Azuras nailed the weapon weight a bit lol

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189

Your list of perfect still has fault for my standard. Here's my list:

• Combat and movement fluidity of Guild Wars 2.
    • Skills and character progression of EVE Online.
    • Freedom of character customization of EVE Online, APB.
    • Housing of Rift dimension, Neverwinter's Foundry, Second Life.
    • Vanity customization of LOTRO, APB.
    • Player driven economy of EVE Online.
    • Massive scale battle of PlanetSide 2.
    • Player create mission/quest in form of Contract in EVE Online.
    • Playable virtual instruments and other role-playing toys from LOTRO.
    • Exploration at level of Guild Wars 2, The Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim).
    • NPC AI decision of Civilization series.
    • Resources gathering and farming of Minecraft, FarmVille.
    • One server, single history timeline, of EVE Online.
    Plus:
    • Daily / Weekly GM hosted events.
    • Dynamic open dungeons and raids, no instance.
    • World change like a persistence real-time strategy game.
    • Scale of lore at equal or exceed detail level of Tolkien works.
    • Present and future world story / history shape up by players action.

EDIT: oh and just remembered the Azura in GW2 feels pretty real since its a tiny race they kind of fight a bit off balance, i loved that but didnt feel that with bigger races at all. So at least the Azuras nailed the weapon weight a bit lol

Heh, weapon weight put aside they are as unrealistic as can be. Hundred blades takes your character in air and then throws the blade all around you. I found it slightly amusing when I first saw it. Not that I have anything against it either.

Let me add to this topic as whole, I personally don't want realism in my games. They can go over the top as long as it feels good and is fun. Sure realistic games are fun once in a while too, but I can mostly get enough realism from my daily life and its stresses.

Originally posted by Divona

• Exploration at level of Guild Wars 2, The Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim).
    Plus:

THis sound like a game i would definitelly play even it its a 100GB download. However, I would totally change the Neverwinter foundry for the Skyrim Creation Kit. I would prefer to have player generated world content and not only the quest / dungeons NW foundry offers. The Skyrim modding community has almost enough content already to to fill an entire virtual world.

Originally posted by Divona

Plus:

That is a nice list. Its somewhat similar to mine, but you have taken elements from other game types in to it and you seem to put some value on instanced areas. My list is strictly formed of MMORPG's and I put all of my value on single world.

That also reminds me, I need to update my Planetside 2 because I just got the feeling that I want to play it for a bit =)

Heh, weapon weight put aside they are as unrealistic as can be. Hundred blades takes your character in air and then throws the blade all around you. I found it slightly amusing when I first saw it. Not that I have anything against it either.

Let me add to this topic as whole, I personally don't want realism in my games. They can go over the top as long as it feels good and is fun. Sure realistic games are fun once in a while too, but I can mostly get enough realism from my daily life and its stresses.

yupp, i should have specified Azura's standard swings, not actual skills lol. Im on the same boat, i think the only mmorpg i tolerate level of realism that almost mirrors real life close quarter combat is Age of Conan, and i dont play it because i prefer stylized graphics in mmos and the fantasy that comes with it (and that includes combat).

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
     "Massive scale battle areas of Warhammer Online (or if GW2 had done WvW correctly)" . There is only one game to consider--Dark Age of Camelot.THE best faction vs faction game ever made.
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    My perfect MMO would be everything early FFXI represented with TERA's combat more or less, and the looks of FFXIV:ARR. Simply.