Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please, tell me why you hate PVP so much. I just don't understand.

Comments

• Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by steamtank

what is the issue with you wanting to FORCE other players to play your way...

With all due respect, stop this nonsense. There has never been a mmorpg that forces you to fight. More over no mmorpg player has ever been "forced" to fight. You have a choice. 

I would say nowadays, with wow-type mmos, ttk is probably too low to have a choice whether you get ganked or not.

• Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Dragim

The reason I dislike PvP?  The elitists.  The power hungry capslock screamers.  The name callers, the bad attitudes.

Sorry about snipping you post it's a good one. 

Now, this can be said about the PvE crowd. In my opinion even more so. What ever you do DO NOT wipe a dungeon party. In PvE players can and will deny you from attempting content. The worst part, is that this is based on a glance at gear.

Join a guild, PVP and PVE problems solved.

• WololoWololo Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Sinella

I never PvP because I don't like the feeling that I'm causing anger or loss for someone else. I hate to win in a PvP match even more than to lose.

I totally hate forced PvP games, because they attract the biggest a-holes in the gaming world. I don't like to spend my free time with psychopats. I'm not saying all PvPers are like that, most of them not, but some rotten apples can ruin the whole basket.

I get this, I really do. I have those feelings at times too. For lack of better terms it can be awkward. 

The are no "Forces PvP games" you are never forced to fight. At the same time griefers should be punished, as long as there is a way to do that, within reason, I really don't have an issue.

Killing for the sake of killing with no risk gets old quick for everyone. If that one social path just can't get enough arrest him, and put him on time out. 

Not true, please find evidence for this.

The word you were looking for is 'Sociopath'

That is assuming the game has a system in place to do that. *HINT* THAT IS A VERY LARGE ASSUMPTION

The fact that most games do not give the tools to jail others for crimes, is the reason I do not endorse FFA Full loot open world PvP.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Because it simply isn't fun. I've never found any type of PvP to be fun. You're just going around killing players. Woo-hoo. To me it's about as exciting as grinding mobs for exp.

Smile

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867
    Originally posted by jonesing22

The reason I dislike PvP?  The elitists.  The power hungry capslock screamers.  The name callers, the bad attitudes.

Now, this can be said about the PvE crowd. In my opinion even more so. What ever you do DO NOT wipe a dungeon party. In PvE players can and will deny you from attempting content. The worst part, is that this is based on a glance at gear.

I have...and they tend to get annoyed with me.  My attempts to include everyone...have fun...annoy some people.

Then they want me to "be loyal" and "do everything they say"...when I just wanna...poke fun..and have fun...

That is why I join those mockeryguilds...or make my own (Promiscuous Underpants Gnomes) or (PuG) (see what I did there?) :-P...

I just hate being yelled at and having people get so angry at me lol, i play the game to have fun.... I have a job I go to every day (granted it is a liquor store and is fun too) but I dont play games to have another job.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

I love PVP, when i get to choose when to participate. i spent hours upon hours defending my Realm in DAOC, spend hours upon hours in battlegrounds on Rift and i have spent hours upon hours in WvW in GW2. i've put hours and hours into games like League, Smite and multiple shooters.

PVP is a lot of fun for me, however if i don't feel like PVPIng i don't have the need or desire to have to watch my back anytime i step inside the game world.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

To much adrenalin?

It makes you angry?

PvP'rs are mean?

Pretty much sums it up right there. Typical PvPers are downright mean spirited. look at these forums. They're no different from the people addicted to generic FPS death matching. Nothing but trash talking and cursing. It may be fun for you and others, but thats not for everyone.

Typical PvPers always use twisted logic thinking that calling someone a carebear will get them to pvp. All they know are insults and that's all they'll use. They make fun of who ever isn't good at a game and actually think that being about to press a few keys/buttons gives them a useful life skill. It's pretty ridiculous that PvPers would even question why a lot of people don't like PvP. Some people actually prefer to be around pleasant company online

• Originally posted by Dragim
    Originally posted by jonesing22

I have...and they tend to get annoyed with me.  My attempts to include everyone...have fun...annoy some people.

Then they want me to "be loyal" and "do everything they say"...when I just wanna...poke fun..and have fun...

That is why I join those mockeryguilds...or make my own (Promiscuous Underpants Gnomes) or (PuG) (see what I did there?) :-P...

I just hate being yelled at and having people get so angry at me lol, i play the game to have fun.... I have a job I go to every day (granted it is a liquor store and is fun too) but I dont play games to have another job.

Lol, yeah guess I should have said join a good/decent guild lol

• Originally posted by jinxxed0

To much adrenalin?

It makes you angry?

PvP'rs are mean?

Pretty much sums it up right there. Typical PvPers are downright mean spirited. look at these forums. They're no different from the people addicted to generic FPS death matching. Nothing but trash talking and cursing. It may be fun for you and others, but thats not for everyone.

Typical PvPers always use twisted logic thinking that calling someone a carebear will get them to pvp. All they know are insults and that's all they'll use. They make fun of who ever isn't good at a game and actually think that being about to press a few keys/buttons gives them a useful life skill. It's pretty ridiculous that PvPers would even question why a lot of people don't like PvP. Some people actually prefer to be around pleasant company online

This is so true. Maybe not for 100% of pvpers but this is the majority that is representing you.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

PVP is great, when done well.

But sadly seems most people do not PVP unless they have the clear advantage such as being way higher level, or outnumbering the people 2-1 or more.

Maybe its the douches sitting in starter zones at max level picking off new characters or people dieing before the even load up the screen . ect...

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

Update - Top reasons

Lack of time

Mean player/ Nasty attitudes 

OBSERVATION - Every scenario given by those against PvP involves being the person that gets killed. Check it out for yourself. 

There's some really good stuff in here Thank you to those who are giving their time.

Your observation is wrong. You read my post, even replied to it and I wrote:

"I never PvP because I don't like the feeling that I'm causing anger or loss for someone else. I hate to win in a PvP match even more than to lose."

That  involves being the person that kills. One of my reasons to avoid PvP is that I hate to kill others, it makes me feel really  bad.  Looting them makes it worse, whenever I killed someone I always gave their stuffs back lol.

Try to get over your preconceptions if you really want to understand why other players dislike PvP. If you only want to prove your prejudices then of course go ahead and read selectively :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Wololo

I never PvP because I don't like the feeling that I'm causing anger or loss for someone else. I hate to win in a PvP match even more than to lose.

I totally hate forced PvP games, because they attract the biggest a-holes in the gaming world. I don't like to spend my free time with psychopats. I'm not saying all PvPers are like that, most of them not, but some rotten apples can ruin the whole basket.

I get this, I really do. I have those feelings at times too. For lack of better terms it can be awkward. 

The are no "Forces PvP games" you are never forced to fight. At the same time griefers should be punished, as long as there is a way to do that, within reason, I really don't have an issue.

Killing for the sake of killing with no risk gets old quick for everyone. If that one social path just can't get enough arrest him, and put him on time out. 

Not true, please find evidence for this.

The word you were looking for is 'Sociopath'

That is assuming the game has a system in place to do that. *HINT* THAT IS A VERY LARGE ASSUMPTION

The fact that most games do not give the tools to jail others for crimes, is the reason I do not endorse FFA Full loot open world PvP.

I'm typo king... so what?

Some do, if it's ffa game w/o it's bad design. it it's an open world pvp game w/o, it's bad design imo.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by evilized
    nobody that says shadowbane was awful has any right to comment on pvp.

That can go the opposite way and be all, "Nobody that says Shadowbane was a great game has any right to comment on gaming."

Shadowbane was not the best game to ever slice bread, it was fun though, for the most part.

Shadowbane was crap...period. You can have fun with crap all you want. I see crap for what it is. I wanted PvP then and saw that they could not do it and have not done it well since either. My idea of PvP comes from FPS games though...so I may expecting too much.

As to the topic? Seems like a troll to me. From the OP's name to the biased basis of the whole post. Luring into arguing with others of completely different play styles FTW! You ARE NOT carebear if you want to play the content laid out for you. Whether it's PvE or not. It's a friggin game after all. YOU ARE carebear if that all you do in life is PvP and gloat, grief on a PC/console without ever experience it IRL. You want PvP, box or do MMA, join the military, become a cop, whatever....just stop bragging because your pixels are better than others.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

In PvP you never win.  Simple as that.  That's why I never understand why people say some games are Pay2Win.  In PvP you will lose...everyone always loses.  In PvE you can win a lot more than you lose in most games.  I don't like being a loser, if you want to be a loser, go play PvP.

Edit: I've had games in BF3 were I go 36-2 or 3, and I still feel like I lost, because of those 2 or 3 deaths.  In PvE I can run a dungeon and feel very successful for not dying once.

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446

It's not PvP in todays games.

I play Darkfall, and MO and other games of PvP mindsets and I rarely ever see a PvP fight.

It's 5 against 1...or 7 vs. 2 or 20 vs. 3.  That is not PvP, I've many many times engaged 1 on  1.  I don't call for back-up and wait...I engage...I often lose becasue I suck at games, but in almost all PvP content, it's not PvP anymore, it's gank for the mightly out-numbered.

So you can probable see the reason yourself why people don't like PvP now-a-days. 

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Because it simply isn't fun. I've never found any type of PvP to be fun. You're just going around killing players. Woo-hoo. To me it's about as exciting as grinding mobs for exp.

Definitely to each their own!  I don't dislike non-pvpers by any means, we all play games and enjoy them how we like )

----

My reason for quoting though...is "Just going around killing players...woohooo".

---

I have played mmos where...that is all you do...no objectives...no rewards.  I want a progression system like PvE. (pvp levels, pvp loot)

---

Most importantly, "my pvp" involves big open spaces, capturable objectives, and reasons to capture and hold said objectives.  (realm buffs, "pvp points to unlock items)...or....which can be really cool and super duper aggrivating....the ability to build your own towns/destroy them.  (Shadowbane)... it is the ultimate goal...go collect wood/stone to build your castle/town...only to have ti be destroyed later...(granted this isnt always fun...but it is the carrot! the carrot on the stick...something grand to work toward...something to make you feel like you are making a difference!)

---

So yes...pvp can be exceptionally boring if it is just a field where people run around and kill each other.  But properly done..with proper incentive and interaction...PvP..to me...is the ultimate fun in a MMO.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I play games for entertainment, relaxation and as an escape from the 'dog eat dog' of real life.  The last thing I want is to emulate real life BS into my entertainment.  I want a stress free gaming environment and that is why I rarely pvp or raid.  It's also why I don't care much for twitch style combat or games with harsh penalties.

I am not at all surprised by the reasoning you used in your post Bcbully, your moniker is aptly chosen and so very representative of the sociopathic tendencies of the hardcore pvp segment of the gaming population.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

Being ganked by a high lvl ranger from a distance where you cant even see him when you are trying to get a quest.

Being ganked while at half hp when fighting a mob.

Getting ganked while out trying to get mats for my crafting.

Need i go on ?

PVP is not the problem its the way idiots do it just to pick on the weak.

I had a idea for EQN for pvp is every class like old eq have there own faction .Well if we all start with neutral faction to all races but the sec that you kill something of the other faction then you become kos to that faction meaning you basically lock yourself from lots of city and zones making your life very hard.

Then if they make getting back to good faction a very hard thing but also give you bonus to your own faction then that would hopefully cut down on the ganking.

But in saying that it should be kept to a pvp server and let us that enjoy pve only should have our own server.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

It's not like you die IRL. It's a game sometimes you win sometimes you lose.  Is it because -

You lose a lot?

You can't get better?

It's scary?

To much adrenalin? 

It makes you angry?

PvP'rs are mean?

Outside of "I just don't like it" which is not an explanation, this is what I ask myself when I hear someone say "I wish there was no pvp" 

I mean to me PVP is the pinnacle off multiplayer gaming. You test your skills against mine. We use what we found in the world and see if it works. 

Why, please tell me. Maybe developers have done studies and stuff, but I haven't, I really don't get it.

Update - Top reasons

Lack of time

OBSERVATION - Every scenario given by those against PvP involves being the person that gets killed. Check it out for yourself. 

There's some really good stuff in here Thank you to those who are giving their time.

in reference to the big red bit, why would i inflict something i don't like on someone else? i don't like being killed while messing around, why should i go out and kill some random person when we can just as easily, y'know, not fight? the problem wi pvp games and the pvp mindset is the "v." it doesn't have to be versus. it's an option but why's it the only one? so i guess i could respond to this whole thread by asking why pvpers demand perpetual conflict?

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

It's pretty ridiculous that PvPers would even question why a lot of people don't like PvP. Some people actually prefer to be around pleasant company online

This is probably the best answer you will ever find to the question.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I think the bigger questions are :

Why some people can't accept that different people like different things and have different wants and goals?

Why some people think there is only one correct way to make a MMORPG and everyone has to accept and like their chosen game types?

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Originally posted by Geeky
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

It's pretty ridiculous that PvPers would even question why a lot of people don't like PvP. Some people actually prefer to be around pleasant company online

This is probably the best answer you will ever find to the question.

That's very true. I prefer a gaming world where another player is not a potential enemy but a potential friend. When I'm out in the forest cutting wood or fishing and another player is coming I don't want to get ready to run or to fight, i want  to be glad to get some company and to get ready to greet him/her friendly. I'm a social/cooperative player and a non-consensual PvP environment kills that playstyle.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Update - Top reasons

Lack of time

"I never PvP because I don't like the feeling that I'm causing anger or loss for someone else. I hate to win in a PvP match even more than to lose."

That  involves being the person that kills. One of my reasons to avoid PvP is that I hate to kill others, it makes me feel really  bad.  Looting them makes it worse, whenever I killed someone I always gave their stuffs back lol.

Try to get over your preconceptions if you really want to understand why other players dislike PvP. If you only want to prove your prejudices then of course go ahead and read selectively :)

Whoa whoa whoa, I bolded scenario while thinking about your post., because of you post.  I had even put "except one" () but thought you would notice the bold, and it would serve. 

I remember running my first "real race" 4th grade field day. I was dusting everyone. I pulled up 10 yrds before the line and let someone else win. It was so noticeable that people where asking me why. I think about that to this day. I felt bad beating them bad.

I feel that way now with senseless killing.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Update - Top reasons

Lack of time

Whoa whoa whoa, I bolded scenario while thinking about your post., because of you post.  I had even put "except one" () but thought you would notice the bold, and it would serve. 

I remember running my first "real race" 4th grade field day. I was dusting everyone. I pulled up 10 yrds before the line and let someone else win. It was so noticeable that people where asking me why. I think about that to this day. I felt bad beating them bad.

I feel that way now with senseless killing.

Most people feel that way about senseless killing. It's what sets you apart from sociopaths...Realizing the person you kill is a human with emotions, aspirations, family, loved ones, dreams ect ect.....

Otherwise you deserve to be sanctioned.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB