Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: A Korean Info Burst

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Suddenly lots of new information has been forthcoming from the Korean version of ArcheAge. In our latest AA column, we take a look at the new stuff and offer a few thoughts. See what we've discovered before adding your voice to the discussion in the comments.

While a drought of information exists on the Western adaptation of ArcheAge, it seems there’s been quite a bit of activity on the Korean side of things.  Jumping off from Bill Murphy’s E3 exposure to ArcheAge, let’s go and and explore some developments, including information on the free-to-play revenue model shift of ArcheAge, an English-speaking gamer’s review of sorts for ArcheAge, and some stirrings of player-created factions for folks who spend their time on the PVP continent of the game.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s ArcheAge: A Korean Info Burst.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    There was a thread on here about importing images into the game.  There were screenshots of Coca ads and Starbucks etc.   I would hate this in game.  I forsee even advertisers paying to get their ads in the game.  Also, I generally dislike this Eastern game translated for a Western audience business. I don't feel it ever works out well.  I am looking for a Western game to do this well.  Hoping EQ Next is that game, if not maybe some other developer. 
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by flizzer
    There was a thread on here about importing images into the game.  There were screenshots of Coca ads and Starbucks etc.  

Wouldn't really be new though, you can upload images for your guild icon in Tera.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Actually good to know. Another reason to say I dislike Tera now. 
  • faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    er you can hardly see the uploaded pictures in Tera lol.
  • Informer80Informer80 Member Posts: 91

Yeah, Fido is the man.

Best and most legit source for AA information!

Trion should hire him, but i don´t know if he´d like to join ^^

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    nvm
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Dear Archeage developers,

Please give us opportunity to empty our wallets into Archeage. We would like to fork over as much money as we can afford. Please give us scaling benefits that get exponentially higher as we spend more money. I would personally like to see the ability to craft epic items for hundreds of dollars.

Also, players should be encouraged to pay for continued services, so please expense them for armor repairs, weapon repair, and other trivial things to be sure that they contribute to this wonderful game. Make us feel like we are paying for real services that someone is working hard to provide, and we will feel more immersed. Please take a look at how other games handle these mandatory costs, and copy them accordingly. This is what we want, and this can't be made more clear than when you look at how many games use this payment model. Cloning these models is the future of MMO gaming.

Thank you for listening. I would be honored if you charged me a small fee to submit my feedback.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    hmm so i'm the only one who feels like the game is not what I hoped for ever since I heard about the changes for the F2P?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    hmm so i'm the only one who feels like the game is not what I hoped for ever since I heard about the changes for the F2P?

I'm afraid that its' not what I hoped for when I learned (aside from this article) that it was a "quest-heavy, alternate activity-filled, team-conducive, “medieval steampunk-fantasy.”

well the parts in yellow.

Still, an interesting article.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    While the game remains 'on my radar', with each news burst I lose another shred of interest. Not 100% sure why but....its occurring.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    There was a thread on here about importing images into the game.  There were screenshots of Coca ads and Starbucks etc.  

Wouldn't really be new though, you can upload images for your guild icon in Tera.

City of heroes had it as well on billboards.

This game is coming close to falling off my radar...

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Guild emblems and wanton plastering of the same images all over the game world are two totally different things.  If it becomes as rampant as it looks like it is in Korea, then that would be a shame, and I'd be gone.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I don't know why people are so insanely excited over this game.  It is just another asian grinder from asia town.  This reminds me of Aion all those years ago.  When it was about to get brought over here everybody was like OMFG!!!!! YES!!! AION!!! BEST GAME EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN FLY!!!

Then it bombed hard in asian land and launched here and bombed hard after a few weeks.  Why? Because it was just another asian grinder wow clone themepark.  Everything I've read on Archage just shows me the same thing, it is not a sandbox.  Sandboxes don't have shiny ! quest givers.  It does have flying thougH!!! OMFG!!! FLYING YES!!!!

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by bingbongbros
    I don't know why people are so insanely excited over this game.  It is just another asian grinder from asia town.  This reminds me of Aion all those years ago.  When it was about to get brought over here everybody was like OMFG!!!!! YES!!! AION!!! BEST GAME EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN FLY!!! Then it bombed hard in asian land and launched here and bombed hard after a few weeks.  Why? Because it was just another asian grinder wow clone themepark.  Everything I've read on Archage just shows me the same thing, it is not a sandbox.  Sandboxes don't have shiny ! quest givers.  It does have flying thougH!!! OMFG!!! FLYING YES!!!!

You seem angry, how about a nice warm hug Archeage style

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    OP thanks for the article.Since all relates to Korea....I'll just have to wait to see what TRION does...once they start paying attention to the game.
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

I already have this game off my list of games to try. 

I'm sticking with FFXIV now, then try Elder scrolls online and then EQ next. 

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

So F2P with standard in-game currency blah blah. We just added some sort of benefit to people who go to our cafes. Kudos for cafe attendees.

Player run factions sound fun and political trappings of that should be entertaining.

All and all sounds good but I am now a little edgy about this business model. Sounds like those shell out cash will have a better lot in life then those who don't. I hope they keep it balanced.

I just got a bad feeling from reading all this.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    I don't understand how so many people are crossing the game off just based on info from other countries? At least wait until the game is out over here and we have definitive answer on what features will be in game. The cultural difference between NA and Korea is too wide, I doubt that all of that will be in the NA version of the game. Even if it is, I suggest waiting until things are announced, hold off on lighting those torches and put down the pitchforks.
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

I don't know why people are so insanely excited over this game.  It is just another asian grinder from asia town.  This reminds me of Aion all those years ago.  When it was about to get brought over here everybody was like OMFG!!!!! YES!!! AION!!! BEST GAME EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN FLY!!!

Then it bombed hard in asian land and launched here and bombed hard after a few weeks.  Why? Because it was just another asian grinder wow clone themepark.  Everything I've read on Archage just shows me the same thing, it is not a sandbox.  Sandboxes don't have shiny ! quest givers.  It does have flying thougH!!! OMFG!!! FLYING YES!!!!

Because people can be excited over any game they want. Go be excited over your western games and get over it.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1
    I don't understand how so many people are crossing the game off just based on info from other countries? At least wait until the game is out over here and we have definitive answer on what features will be in game. The cultural difference between NA and Korea is too wide, I doubt that all of that will be in the NA version of the game. Even if it is, I suggest waiting until things are announced, hold off on lighting those torches and put down the pitchforks.

Based on historical evidence on Asian crossover games, we have every right to be extremely skeptical.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1

Based on historical evidence on Asian crossover games, we have every right to be extremely skeptical.

Nah, it;s just the traditional way on this site to turn on whatever they've hyped up in the heavens previously.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

"Also... you can have My Little Pony-emblazoned ships. HOO-AH!"

That had to send a shiver through any true gamer anywhere. It does show that what they say is true, even when it comes to sandbox you can have too much of a good thing.

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47

Hello guys,

I'm the writer of the review. First of all many thanks to MMORPG.com for mentioning me! I hope you had a good read with my terrible writing skills! :)

Now, to some of the comments:

I really wished you would read my whole review. Yes, I am disappointed that it is quest heavy and also disappointed that it is not a 100% sandbox, but I am also surprised how sandboxy the game feels if you just let it be. Once you are high enough in lvl you don't have to touch a quest ever again, I lvld both my Lv50 chars mainly through crafting/grinding/etc to 50 after I reached a certain lvl(43~44). This is something I did not mention, but should. This weekend I will add a new section called "The Future of ArcheAge", explaining what XLGames promised to bring into the game and I will also get more detailed with some of the information I have written(such as leveling and the sandbox feeling).

Trading, Piracy and all the stuff happening around it make the game a truly unique experience and I hope you guys give the game at least a chance.

Also, the only reason why ArcheAge is doing bad in korea is that XLGames does not know what Koreans want; they didn't bring VERY important updates(sieges, factions) for a long time and some of them are still not there, and the F2P change already brought a LOT of annoying bots and so koreans left. I did talk a bit about that in my review, but this is another topic I can cover thanks to Fido:

http://archeage-online.de/forum/showthread.php?1426-Aktuelle-News-aus-der-Releaseversion&p=38143&viewfull=1#post38143 (For anyone using google translate).

So yeah, I hope that some of you will read the review and change their mind, because thats why I decided to write it in the first place: I was horribly disappointed at first, but had a HUGE surprise after playing it. I wanted to show you guys why. It's not perfect, but I'll be damned if I didn't play the game for the past 3 months straight without even THINKING about stopping.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I think AA looks like a good game. It's pretty much what it was promised to be like. Then again, I guess some people are always disappointed when the devs deliver exactly what was promised and not what the players in question imagined to be promised.

Also, thanks for the info dump, KeksX. It's a good one.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I'm not expecting much from this after watching vids of it on youtube.....Nothing special about the way it looks and the gameplay looked pretty easy, at least from what I saw....I think its just your typical way overhyped MMO that is nothing special trying to ge tpeople to dump alot of money into.