Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call me.. Impressed.

ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

Snatched up The Secret World from that Steam sale...

10 hrs in ... and very impressed.

So far it feels a bit solo player; and while in most MMOs I would quit for that alone, TSW has a wonderful vibe that I actually dont even notice or mind. Its atmosphere rivals the best single player RPG i've played. Very well done. The music, the writing - pretty darn good for a video game. and as someone who gets paid to review books for a living, thats not idle praise.

I must confess that I'm bit of a fantasy geek and dont stray too far from that setting in my videogames, but every fantasy themed MMO right now... hmmm, sucks balls - I think the kids say?

Even without the sale price, The Secret World is worth it. Very refreshing and I find myself drinking more coffee than I should and bought a notebook to keep notes in.

gg,

sincerely, a former funcom hater

Comments

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Indeed..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    It's easily the best mmo I've played over the last quite a few years - and a breath of fresh air.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

yep it´s good, really good,

recently honored it by moving it to my SSD where only my most played games reside

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

When you say single playerish is it hard to quest as a group, like to they make doing so painful ?

And how is the combat .I always hear the story is great but the combat sucks. As someone who is enjoying it and new ( and hated funcom :P ) how would you rate it.

I've been looking at it on sale and considering :)

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151

best lobby game (in the end ) you will find...have fun with that :)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Reehay
    Snatched up The Secret World from that Steam sale...10 hrs in ... and very impressed.So far it feels a bit solo player; and while in most MMOs I would quit for that alone, TSW has a wonderful vibe that I actually dont even notice or mind. Its atmosphere rivals the best single player RPG i've played. Very well done. The music, the writing - pretty darn good for a video game. and as someone who gets paid to review books for a living, thats not idle praise.I must confess that I'm bit of a fantasy geek and dont stray too far from that setting in my videogames, but every fantasy themed MMO right now... hmmm, sucks balls - I think the kids say?Even without the sale price, The Secret World is worth it. Very refreshing and I find myself drinking more coffee than I should and bought a notebook to keep notes in.gg,sincerely, a former funcom hater

I love how people say how wonderful the game is....After they pay like $10 for it now.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by DamonVile

When you say single playerish is it hard to quest as a group, like to they make doing so painful ?

And how is the combat .I always hear the story is great but the combat sucks. As someone who is enjoying it and new ( and hated funcom :P ) how would you rate it.

I've been looking at it on sale and considering :)

the combat system is what YOU make of it.

the combinations can be set up in a skill wheel, you can mess it up completely so your combat sucks, or you can have a great combination / any number of different combinations and switch around like you want and have fantastic combat.

the combinations of skills/weapons types are endless and as varied as you make them.

If you use the same setup all the time, or your setup is inefficient - yes, your combat may suck. The game does not hold your hand, in many aspects it feels quite sandboxy. If your combat sucks, change your experience yourself

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    i agree, the "no autoattack" is something i wish they would all adopt...i can say wildstar is an advocate of this...whether or not this gets me banned...that game has the best combat ive ever seen...think godfowar ;)
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I agree with the OP.  The game is one of the best to come out in years.  The atmosphere is top notch, and the missions are the best in the genre.  The skill tree allows for a number of useful builds, and the combat is very good.

Great game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• I agree with most posters in regards to the things they like about the game. No need to reiterate those points.

What I do wish to add is the reasons it did not hold my attention long term. All of it is related to end game. So if the purchase price suits your wallet, do not let the following stop you from trying and enjoying the game pre-endgame.

The lack of unique gear when it comes to stats and upgrades was a huge let down. I also found it ridiculously hard to get in a dungeon group at endgame. When I tried to use chat in Agartha to find a group the chat scrolled so ridiculously fast that it seemed next to impossible.

I also found it quite difficult to find a cabal to join. I did not see many advertising recruitment.

If you can find a cabal that has a very good number of active players, I am guessing that it will substantially increase the likelihood of sticking with the game long term.

I liked that the statistical gear was separate from the visual gear. However the lack of unique statistical gear was a turn off. Also at end game you would just marginally incrementally increase the quality of the gear you already had. Just didn't appeal to me.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I'd say its as single player as any MMO out today, really.
  • minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Welcome aboard! TSW is easily the best MMO of the last 5 years or so (granted, that's a low bar to set, but still) - it's a shame more people aren't willing to give it the chance it deserves. 
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Deznts

I agree with most posters in regards to the things they like about the game. No need to reiterate those points.

What I do wish to add is the reasons it did not hold my attention long term. All of it is related to end game. So if the purchase price suits your wallet, do not let the following stop you from trying and enjoying the game pre-endgame.

The lack of unique gear when it comes to stats and upgrades was a huge let down. I also found it ridiculously hard to get in a dungeon group at endgame. When I tried to use chat in Agartha to find a group the chat scrolled so ridiculously fast that it seemed next to impossible.

I also found it quite difficult to find a cabal to join. I did not see many advertising recruitment.

If you can find a cabal that has a very good number of active players, I am guessing that it will substantially increase the likelihood of sticking with the game long term.

I liked that the statistical gear was separate from the visual gear. However the lack of unique statistical gear was a turn off. Also at end game you would just marginally incrementally increase the quality of the gear you already had. Just didn't appeal to me.

I loved this game and I still consider it fun and full of potential. What eventually killed it for me is that it just turns into a dungeon grind about half way through.  Most of the community refuses to help new players who want to get into the instances as well, as there is a lot of elitism from those in the higher tiers.  I wish someone would make a game like this a hybrid.. actually it sounds like World of Darkness may just be that game, should it ever actually release.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

I also picked this up through the origin sale as filler until either Archeage or EQN come around.  I am in the same boat as OP, hate mmos that feel like a single player rpg but this game works enough that you kinda "need" that feel at the start I think to bring you into the whole zombie vibe.  I have to say one thing though, on the Asus 144hz 3d monitor and 3d vision 2 this is hands down the best looking game in 3d Ive seen to date.

I feel like right behind my screen is a 3d version of a TSW adapted episode of Robot Chicken and I am the main star, my wife is not a gamer at all and she put on the glasses and wouldn't get out of my damn computer chair for an hour running around with pistols shooting up zombies.  I wish all mmo's had the same 3d feel as Secret World.

really there is little to no complaints I have about the game other than having the darndest time picking out a set of weapons I like together.  Right now Sword and Blood feel the most natural to me, but I keep one character slot for the deletion and recreation of toons because I can't settle on one half way through km.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I agree with most posters in regards to the things they like about the game. No need to reiterate those points.

I loved this game and I still consider it fun and full of potential. What eventually killed it for me is that it just turns into a dungeon grind about half way through.  Most of the community refuses to help new players who want to get into the instances as well, as there is a lot of elitism from those in the higher tiers.  I wish someone would make a game like this a hybrid.. actually it sounds like World of Darkness may just be that game, should it ever actually release.

I am sorry but I disagreed here,comunity is very friendly,

true in agarthal you ll hear almost only elitist assholes but out are nice peoples too,most  of them their are in cabals where helping new players  in any instance(normal,elite,nm).

just ask for active cabal there are many,it is an MMO game all is about players interactions,if ignore it & going to play as solo centric game you missing  gameplay concept of TSW. It is MMORPG.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    It is a good game which i play in long breaks. I go back only when new episode releases and then forget about it for months. It is the best single player MMORPG experince i ever had though.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• plutosamsplutosams Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Welcome to the game.  It is still my favorite MMO at the moment.  The end game is a bit rough; however there are a few options to help there (Noobmares chat channel and cabals).  This game really brought me in with the atmosphere, questing and some of the best/most interesting dungeons I have ever done.  Now that I am at endgame I will disappear for a month or so, but always come back for every issue.  Great game.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I am sorry but I disagreed here,comunity is very friendly,

true in agarthal you ll hear almost only elitist assholes but out are nice peoples too,most  of them their are in cabals where helping new players  in any instance(normal,elite,nm).

just ask for active cabal there are many,it is an MMO game all is about players interactions,if ignore it & going to play as solo centric game you missing  gameplay concept of TSW. It is MMORPG.

I agree.  Overall, I've found that TSW has one of the better overall communities within the MMO genre.  Of course, every game has its jerks, but this community is pretty good from my experience.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

The game is the best MMO out there right now but is not for everybody

the FPS crowd won't like the combat. Some people say combat is bad but combat is something that cannot please all at same time. It is not bad it's not for you perhaps.

there is people that like it faster there is people that like it slower and people that like it focused on "monkey skill" (reflex) and people that like it focused on a more "brain skill" (strategy), people that like it focused on group people that like it focused on 1vs1

and because combat is what games are mainly based on...  difference type of game exist!

thats why FPS exist and thats why RTS and why Turn game exist they are different

The combat in TSW is focused on group and strategy so if you are a 1vs1 type or a "monkey skill no target mouse turning godness" you probably wont appreciate his depth.

The only real problem that i admit ruin it for many is the fact that without level they didnt sucesfully find a way to separate new player form veteran, and this ruin the fun for many people that start the game and try PVP and they can be litterally be killed 5noobs by 1 veteran alone (the veteran finishing them with still 80% of his health bar)

this is why many new player scream "PVP sucks" but actually pvp doesnt sux but funcom mix NBA player with the elemntary school team

do you think does kids would like basked if they face everytime that they play an NBA team?

Facing "the right challenge" is one of the most important part of PVP and TSW is not capable to do that right now

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Am I the only one who thinks the controls are a little clunky

• Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

u can shoot while running

u can shoot while circle strafing

u can shoot while going backwards

nothing u shoot stop your movement and lock you in place

most of the skill are instant (not all but in PVP u see 75% of the skill used are instant skill)

there is not invisibility or any sort of stealth

there are yes a lot of impair and silence but the built that can lock you in place and kill you are very weak in group fight

but yes they should add an immunity system one like in SWTOR would be cool

i dont see how is cluncky

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Yep OP, Ragnar should be making movies or making books for the best sellers list. A truly brilliant writer.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I think I am one by rare players who don't care for story in TSW, just love game setting,world ,atmosphere & MMOrpg gameplay .
  • mikelafalcemikelafalce Member Posts: 13
    Theme, story, looks, A+.  Cobat can be repetetive, but overall satisfying.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    TSW is definitely a game that people either seem to love or hate...There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground with it.