Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Return to DCUO.

maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I've returned to DCUO a few days ago to see what was new.  Its been a while since I've played, but I still remember the reasons I left:

• Rampant glitching
  • Consistent FOTM builds
  • Poor choices when changing powers (especially in the nature set)
  • Dwindling populations on servers

Upon my return, instead of checking the FTP route they've created, I instead opted to subscribe and start from scratch.   

I was pleased to see some new sets.  
  • The Earth Set
  • The Light Set (green/yellow lantern)
  • The Electricity set
  • The quantum set (brand new set)
  • and the new Shield weapon
As usual, I rolled on a the (mega) PvP server - because lets face it, its really the only way to play an action MMORPG like DCUO.

Immediately I remembered why I liked DCUO.  The combat is unparalleled.  I've gone back and forth with GW2 for months, and  still, nothing holds a candle to the fluidity of movement, the unpredictability of the flow of combat, and the overall dexterity and skill it requires to be accomplished in DCUO's combat.

I rolled the new Quantum set,  and was immediately impressed with how powerful I felt by level 6.  Though I was a bit rusty, I often found myself able to defeat or survive for quite a while against other players who were nearly double my level.

I was also excited to see a lot of the changes they've made to the game.
  • PvP ring war events happen in Gotham and Metropolis consistently
  • Secret Hideouts were added as well as what appears to be crafting (R&D)
  • New PvE and Story events have been added
  • The US PC PVP server is really busy.  The questing areas always have a good number of heroes and villains, so there is always that sense of danger.

Overall, after my 3 day return, I'm gladly going to play throughout the month, and maybe sub for a few more months depending on how many new powersets I decide to level.

Some issues I did find were:

• The interface is still truly designed for a 360 controller (on PC).
  • I have been queued for Legends matches for hours and never received a pop. I guess legends isn't that popular anymore?
  • Some maxed out tank builds just seem unrealistically tough to defeat.  This has always been the case, but the new earth build seems to be exceptionally tough in comparison to the fire tanks.
  • I did see some minor bugs when changing character costumes.. sometimes the visuals reset to wearing nothing at all.
  • Level 30s will still troll level 6 areas.  Not really an issue, just an annoyance.
  • It seems the top level content is all based around Combat Rated gear now.  Not really my thing, but I guess progression is progression.
  • The missions are pretty much the same kill and collect type missions -- BUT the combat is much more fun then in every other game I've played, and it seems they've upped the difficulty on some mobs.  I found more enemies blocking, block breaking, and doing combos then I remember.

If you haven't played this game, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. 

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I agree having played mmo's for years, and even though im not a fan of 'action mmos' the combat in DCUO is the most fluid and enjoyable I have ever played.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Wow, you were gone for a while if all of that was new to you. Glad to see you having fun in there again and maybe The Boilerman will check back in as well.  image

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Wow, you were gone for a while if all of that was new to you. Glad to see you having fun in there again and maybe The Boilerman will check back in as well.  image

Some of the stuff was in the pipeline when I was on my way out.  The PvP imbalance was really what did it for me -- the glitching mostly. I'm happy to say I haven't experienced anything remotely close to that since I've been back.     Back when I was still playing the ring war was already available in Metropolis, but they didn't have on in Gotham yet.

Secret Hideouts were rumor, as were secret identities.. not sure what happened to those, but I was glad to get my hideout.

All of the powersets I mentioned were new, I only played with the originals for the first 3 or 4 months when the game first came out.  

I also didn't mention that they added a TON of new Legends characters.. because I have YET TO PLAY A LEGENDS MATCH!  Those were some of my favorite games!  I'm really interested to play Bizarro or Dr. Fate in Legends.. if I could only get some matches so I could buy them. (I won't pay extra for legends characters)

The only thing I'm missing is a League.. or some people to play with, so if you do end up getting back in game, perhaps we can team up some :)

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200

I recently returned as well.  I haven't found a game with such a fun combat mechanic.  Sometimes, it's just so satisfying to combo hoards of gangsters surrounding you :)

That said,..I remember hating the UI last time,..and I still hate it,..and the map , and the journal,vendor,.ehh,..this game needs a huge 'Quality of Life' overhaul, imho.

but the game is so darn fun I overlook that, tbh.

Welcome back!

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    It is an excellent game and i can't help but recommend it every single time someone posts asking for a new game to play. lol

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

Originally posted by Tabloid42

I recently returned as well.  I haven't found a game with such a fun combat mechanic.  Sometimes, it's just so satisfying to combo hoards of gangsters surrounding you :)

That said,..I remember hating the UI last time,..and I still hate it,..and the map , and the journal,vendor,.ehh,..this game needs a huge 'Quality of Life' overhaul, imho.

but the game is so darn fun I overlook that, tbh.

Welcome back!

TY

There was a minor learning curve to the new way to apply for alerts and PvP.  Now you have like.. 3 steps in most cases just to queue for a scenario....  Add the scenario to the list, then queue, select your role or character, then click okay... and as far as I've seen you have to reset this after EVERY MATCH.

It is seriously a big mess from what it was like before, where you just selected what you wanted and queue'd for it.  This change was confusing and unnecessary.  The UI still needs help.

Otherwise, I've been having a great time.  I've gotten into some great battles, and I'm finally getting back into the swing of things.  I did end up catching a few legends matches today, and it looks like they've rebalanced a lot of the characters which is great, simply because last time around Bane, Robin, Harley and Catwoman were the only characters you'd ever see.  Eventhough I still see those characters more often then others, their specials were really toned down a lot.

Overall I'm having a great time and kind of disappointed I'll be out of town for two weeks and not get to play lol.

• I find the combat to be the one thing that keeps me from playing DCUO again. Really poorly executed and repetitive action combat. Liked most every other aspect of the game.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I liked the combat.  It was a good back and forth.  But back at launch, I was dealing with just launch annoyances.  Same ol' stuff.

Some of the stuff Masked mentioned sounded interesting so I'm loading up now.  It'll get a month from me and we'll see.

Originally posted by Deznts
    I find the combat to be the one thing that keeps me from playing DCUO again. Really poorly executed and repetitive action combat. Liked most every other aspect of the game.

I find this comment interesting.  Not to derail my own thread here , but what MMO combat do you prefer?

I found the DCUO combat to be the most versatile combat.  No prepared macros are an instant win button, no single build is the end all of builds, and each fight is different.   With the increase in difficulty, even some trash mobs can become dangerous very quickly.

I would also say that the thought they put into the weapon sets is really great.  Everyone has a different idea of what sets are the best, and the type of combos you can string together with some of them are really impressive.  Some of my favorite combos are with the dual pistols and the shield now.  

A little tip on creating a new character... when you start the new character, they added an area by the stun machine where they give you  3 sets of monsters,  lungers, blockers, and channelers.   On the lungers,  don't block them immediately  just target lock them and hit them repeatedly until you get the 100 combo feat.  Best to get that out of the way early :)

• dregjdregj Member Posts: 12

have been away myself

and was curious as to how the game had changed in the intervening time since i got totally bored and ditched it

must say the game has added nothing new at all.

Plenty of powers that should have been in the basic package have eventually been added ,with great fan fare.

"look at us everyone were finally doing what we should have done 2 years years ago hooray"

everything  added is for the paying members

f2p get absolutely nothing after all these years later

new cities ??not really a few miserable streets of central city

new raids ?plenty but boring as hell

upgraded character maker?no of course not dont be silly

our basic cookie cutter works perfectly

I have played several other MMOs in the intervening time and every single one gave more to free player than this

money hungry travesty

i think ill play something else that actually respects its users

Originally posted by dregj

have been away myself

and was curious as to how the game had changed in the intervening time since i got totally bored and ditched it

must say the game has added nothing new at all.

Plenty of powers that should have been in the basic package have eventually been added ,with great fan fare.

"look at us everyone were finally doing what we should have done 2 years years ago hooray"

everything  added is for the paying members

f2p get absolutely nothing after all these years later

new cities ??not really a few miserable streets of central city

new raids ?plenty but boring as hell

upgraded character maker?no of course not dont be silly

our basic cookie cutter works perfectly

I have played several other MMOs in the intervening time and every single one gave more to free player than this

money hungry travesty

i think ill play something else that actually respects its users

Uh, yeah subscribers will get all the benefits, those that pay piece by piece get what they pay for, and those that pay nothing get what they pay for.  That sounds like a good deal.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your time in other games, but in my opinion, they aren't as fun to play -- this game is the only one with combat like this in the MMO space, and the visual progression and skill point hunting are available to everyone.  Free players can still play most of the original content, get to max level, and even get top gear and iconic gear without paying a thing.

As for the new content, there is quite a bit of new stuff that I haven't played.  More top tier raids, a few new missions in the middle,  lots of new Duos and challenges, new PvP maps, new seasonal content just opened up yesterday.  I've actually let my sub renew for the first time in over a couple years for an MMO.... that says a lot coming from me.

And personally, if you're complaining this much about a game, then its obviously good enough to complain about.. just sub for the month instead of hoping for a hand out from the developers.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

I just cannot get the past how bad the UI is on PC, and the fact EU PC servers seem very dead.

And the fact that most content at max level is locked away behind some kindda rating where you have to grind gear for ages to even get to play i annoys me aswell.

This is my view, maybe theres an easier way to obtain gear to actually play that content, but I have not found it.

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Game is loads of fun.  Glad I came back after the rocky launch. I love feeling super evil.  Game is fun and everyone should give it a try on the ps3. I tried the computer and the game just seemed to clunky. 
  • JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I recently came back and renewed my subscription. At launch I really enjoyed the game but there wasn't enough for me to stay. I am having loads of fun now!
  • JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75
    A month has almost passed and now I'm feeling it... >.<
  • TadianTadian Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by NeoGen85
    A month has almost passed and now I'm feeling it... >.<

Feels good or bad?

I started playing again a couple days ago and so far i'm enjoying it. Buyed the Fight for the Light DLC so I got premium and the only thing that bothers me atm is the money restriction. 2000 feels so damn low.

Got level 30 yesterday so I didn't get much into endgame :D

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Just recently started back in DCUO after a couple of years and having fun once again with this title. A lot has changed since I last played on the pc pvp server and love the fact we only have one server now.

There are many new power sets since I last played and the server looks pretty active every time I log in. If you haven't played DCUO in awhile, probably is the best time to try it out now if you never played it.

• SpytedSpyted Member Posts: 108

Likewise I have just returned after a similar absence to your own and am very impressed by the progress. There is no other mmo combat system I have experienced that delivers the same sense of immediacy, control and genuine impact that DCUO somehow manages - and in skirmishes it seems everyone gets a fair crack of the action - brilliant!

Bases/lairs was an unexpected addition and seems one of the best add on packs for those wanting to be frugal. The new powers I have yet to sample but Quantum is high on my list and may fuel my first hero character (if only to see the other side of the stories). I still love the levelling experience and bemoan how short it is, yes the missions do repeat in terms of function but the rich world and environment goes a long way to compensate and some of the voice acting and characterisation is a joy.

I have no real interest in Legend pvp so cannot comment on the queue issue, but by and large the game feels more active and busier than ever - long may it be so!

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I've always played on and off, I have spent cash to get to premium, but I'm not sure if I should sub for it. I'm considering coming back (again haha), but I just have a few questions.

Subscription

Because I know I am not the type to sub for a long period, especially if my friends aren't playing the game. Do you think it is worth it? I'm not really getting any of DLC on a permanent basis, so if I stop, I'll have to sub again to play my characters (with the premium powers) yea? And I am really interested in the new powers, Light, Electricity, Quantum, Earth. Should I just get the DLC instead you think?

I have a main ice tank so I will probably keep that and my robin-esque alt, so I can probably play the new powers, without the sub.

Tiered gears

I think I was on only tier 1 and starting tier 2 (whichever the one with the superman shield on it from ), is it still terribly grindy to get up there? I want to play, but not to the point of sitting 2+ hours per day just to get gear.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

dcuo is well fun, im a new player, only lvl 16 but I find it very fun,

not subed yet but I might do soon, we shall see, having a lot of fun at the moment with a fire build villain :)

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(