Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Diablo 3: Toying with the PS3 Version at E3

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Diablo 3 will be making its debut on the PlayStation 3 later this year. During E3, we had the chance to check out the console version. See what we thought before heading to the comments to talk about it.

But what’s different about this version, aside from those two bigger details?  Well, for starters the UI has been overhauled to better fit the PS3.  You can see in the screens below that instead of dominating the lower portion of your screen, the health and hotbar sit off the lower left.  If there are two or more players playing on the same screen, one hotbar and health bar goes into each corner to help the screen from getting too crowded.  Similarly, when playing with multiple folks, the screen zooms in and out based on how far you are from each other.  If a friend goes AFK, they’ll be dragged along with you for a while, so you don’t have to wait for them.  If you portal to a new area, they may be left behind but when they return from their potty break they can easily portal back to you.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Diablo 3: Toying with the PS3 Version at E3.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ajcohen63ajcohen63 Member Posts: 8
    I think this game will be quite fun in an xbox live party
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I cant wait for this either. I am actually already feeling overwhelmed. FF ARR, D3, and next gen consoles right around the corner.

I might actually play warrior on ps3 like I wanted to on pc but was just to annoyed with the movement. Having a controller will make smashing enemies with my warrior more enjoyable.

Welcome to the diversification of mmorpg.com btw. It's good to see this embrace in change. It probably isnt to hard to embrace consoles though after the past couple years of pc titles , payments models, and just the overall instability of the pc world. Factor in all the hype, population, great titles and the ability to play mmorpgs on consoles finally and change is good.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

The argument about always on-line is beyond ridiculous. I haven't seen a computer NOT hooked up to the internet in decade(s). I'm surprised there wasn't an uprising because the game required a mouse and keyboard as well. /sigh

I hope the PS3 version does well. I won't buy it because I have the PC version. But if I did...I'd play it on on-line mode...because I have internet and don't play my PS3 on a nuclear submarine, out in a cabin with no electricity, or other extreme stupid arguments people use.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    But.. will those of us who own it on PC be able to log on and play / download it on the Xbox/PS without buying a new version? I guess not, but that would be great and a nice reward to those who put up with the previous versions issues :)

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

I have it for pc too, but I just sold my pc last night ( for a profit I might add :-) hehe) before the masses sell thiers off too. I will buy another pc in 2015-2016 timeframe. Really wish I wasnt facingso many buy the same game twice situations. We got ps3 vversions and ps4 versions and pcversions..... it's not just diablo3 either
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    I have it for pc too, but I just sold my pc last night ( for a profit I might add :-) hehe) before the masses sell thiers off too. I will buy another pc in 2015-2016 timeframe. Really wish I wasnt facingso many buy the same game twice situations. We got ps3 vversions and ps4 versions and pcversions..... it's not just diablo3 either

Wow, why would someone buy a used PC for more than it's worth? lol

Originally posted by Fendel84M

Wow, why would someone buy a used PC for more than it's worth? lol

And he still owns his D3 PC copy. Just log into battle.net when he get's a new PC and download the client...

I been flipping pc's on ebay - you can get some really good deals and turn them for small profits but that is all about to change due to the consoles. My beef is why cant I just use my pc license of d3 on my ps3 or when I get a ps4 will my ps3 version be visually better ? This is not just a d3 thing. I know d3 is one of the games I have identified as worth buying for another platform, just wish blizz or ps3 would honor the game license I already own more so blizz
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

"a whole new team took the base code of the PC game and developed it separately from the main PC version. This is why you have a dodge, no RMAH, and offline play. This is also why the console versions have less trash loot, and much more high quality loot geared specifically towards the character you’re playing"

Nope. This is a complete and utter lie (on blizz's part but still, the writer shouldn't feed it directly to his readers). All these changes have been made after the rightful and deserved shitstorm they got after the horrible pc designs. Those are some of the biggest issues on pc that has yet to be fixed.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    I been flipping pc's on ebay - you can get some really good deals and turn them for small profits but that is all about to change due to the consoles. My beef is why cant I just use my pc license of d3 on my ps3 or when I get a ps4 will my ps3 version be visually better ? This is not just a d3 thing. I know d3 is one of the games I have identified as worth buying for another platform, just wish blizz or ps3 would honor the game license I already own more so blizz

It's a little much to expect Sony to honor the licence you have for Diablo 3 on PC. Although I do see where you are coming from. Perhaps in the near future we will have some type of offer such as this. Where you are able to access your games that are cross platformed whenever you wish..

But for now, you have to see these as two seperate purchases. Sony surely has no control over Blizzard directly and how they choose to charge for purchases. Sony won't even have control over the rights when the game comes to PS3 that will still be in Blizzards hands as to any changes and updates are made.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Opapanax

It's a little much to expect Song to honor the licence you have for Diablo 3 on PC. Although I do see where you are coming from. Perhaps in the near future we will have some type of offer such as this. Where you are able to access your games that are cross platformed whenever you wish..

But for now, you have to see these as two seperate purchases. Sony surely has no control over Blizzard directly and how they choose to charge for purchases. Sony won't even have control over the rights when the game comes to PS3 that will still be in Blizzards hands as to any changes and updates are made.

I don't know if I'd say it's too much. I mean they've got a system that's already in place to handle games that were pre-purchased (like online passes, etc) so there's really no reason that it couldn't be used in the same way here. Heck, I might even purchase a $10 or $15 pass to unlock it for PS3, but I'm not motivated at all to buy it at full retail price. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Opapanax

It's a little much to expect Song to honor the licence you have for Diablo 3 on PC. Although I do see where you are coming from. Perhaps in the near future we will have some type of offer such as this. Where you are able to access your games that are cross platformed whenever you wish..

I don't know if I'd say it's too much. I mean they've got a system that's already in place to handle games that were pre-purchased (like online passes, etc) so there's really no reason that it couldn't be used in the same way here. Heck, I might even purchase a $10 or $15 pass to unlock it for PS3, but I'm not motivated at all to buy it at full retail price. 

I think your impression of this would be a little stronger to opinion if Sony and Blizzard actually had history like in regards to the Diablo series and Playstation . Besides the very first Diablo game on PSX, the Blizzard IP has not been seen in any range of home consoles. It is just now we are seeing this common work between the two pick up and I have a feeling it won't be the last game we see crossover. Expect Starcraft to be another title that may jump on one of the home consoles. Some might of played Starcraft on the N64 way back like myself. The game "worked" very well back then; so in thinknig with improved design and technology of home systems this could easily be achieved today and may garner such priase as RUSE by Ubisoft did on PS3 for next-gen systems.

It's most likely one of the big reasons holding something like your premise back. LoL Basically the money.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Playing with my wife on the couch. Ouch.
    Originally posted by sportsfan
    Playing with my wife on the couch. Ouch.

Sounds like a cool wife. Pretty sure every gamer would like a gamer spouse.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I still prefer the original Diablo on the PS1. Why? Couch Co-op.

It is so much more fun when you can punch the other person in the arm when they get a great item, heh.

btw co-op in action (in case someone missed it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fo_5R0mruU4#at=121

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

The argument about always on-line is beyond ridiculous. I haven't seen a computer NOT hooked up to the internet in decade(s). I'm surprised there wasn't an uprising because the game required a mouse and keyboard as well. /sigh

I hope the PS3 version does well. I won't buy it because I have the PC version. But if I did...I'd play it on on-line mode...because I have internet and don't play my PS3 on a nuclear submarine, out in a cabin with no electricity, or other extreme stupid arguments people use.

i personally find it more stupid to pretend everyone has 100% perfect internet connection 24/7 forever and ever that will never go out, thus preventing them form playing the game they purchased just because it cant be played while offline. For stupid comments like that one Adam Orr got fired from Microsoft..... and now MS it self reverted the crap out of the XB One becuse they know they were not living a reality. The future is not limited to only always online, the real future is both always online and offline in case something goes wrong. Accept it or walk away silently.

Originally posted by rojo6934

i personally find it more stupid to pretend everyone has 100% perfect internet connection 24/7 forever and ever that will never go out, thus preventing them form playing the game they purchased just because it cant be played while offline. For stupid comments like that one Adam Orr got fired from Microsoft..... and now MS it self reverted the crap out of the XB One becuse they know they were not living a reality. The future is not limited to only always online, the real future is both always online and offline in case something goes wrong. Accept it or walk away silently.

What I accept is some games, such as MMO's, require internet and other games do not. The consumer can decide which he will buy. But the developer can make whatever requirement they feel is right for their games. If they feel their game needs internet access to achieve their vision of the game, then that's what it is. 

For those that are stuck with unreliable internet, then they just have to play something else. Sucks but that's life. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Give MMOs with offline mode too then?? If you have problems with your internet just fix them or get a more reliable provider. I never understood the outcry about D3 being always online. Did anyone play D2 offline anyway? Really? Why would I play offline when my char on battlenet is a different one. And please don't suggest that stupid system that TL2 has. TL2 is crap cause it doesn't have private servers lol.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• gwwwwarrriorgwwwwarrrior Member Posts: 2
    Best console game !
  • daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95

I think you would find this statistic very surprising, that one in three people in the US alone don't have broadband internet:

http://kotaku.com/5937300/digital-distribution-gets-bigger-every-year-but-a-third-of-the-us-still-doesnt-have-broadband-internet

I can tell when people post comments saying always online is totally acceptable that they live sheltered city lives.  A very large number of people in this country either don't have internet, or have very poor internet, and I am not just talking cabins in the woods.  I am currently staying with my in-laws while I wait for my house to finish getting built and they get .9 Mbps down when the internet is actually working (thank goodness for Steam offline mode).  Once you start to drive outside the major cities and hit more rural areas internet dries up.  Shoot even inside the city in lower income areas a lot of people don't buy it for financial reasons. 

I can certainly understand that if you don't have internet you avoid games that require internet, but fans were rightly upset that D3 required it since D2 was a single player game with bnet access.  And let's be frank here, D3 is not an MMO.  There is no persistant world, heck there isn't even a public chat lobby with avatars like D2.  D3 is a single-player/co-op game that requires a constant connection.  I am glad Blizzard is finally doing something right with the game and getting rid of the ridiculous always online component for the console.