Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lead Game Designer on Everquest Next Debunks Non-Consent PVP

KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

First off there were too many PvP and PvE threads fighting over what Everquest Next is going to be, so instead of answering each one, I made my own thread.

So I grew slighty concerned as well as some of my guild-mates about the idea of the EQ IP being changed from a PvE Centric game to a Non Consensual PVP game.

I opted to Ask a number of the Developers.

The Lead Game Designer  answered, and here it is:

So there you have it folks a Bad design decision. Now this most likely means that PvP will continue to be all the rage on the PvP Servers(as it has ALWAYS been) and PvE'ers will continue to be safe from torment while enjoying their gaming experience.

Comments

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Not much really said at all.......You can read that 100's different ways.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Those SOE guys should definately consider a political career. Say something without saying really anything. ;)
  • KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by TheJoda

It can only be read in the context of the question being answered. That is will it be forced on players who do not want it. The answer, That would be a poor design decision.

I understand people want to live in their little world of believing they are right, but that gets old when the truth hammer hits you and they still deny it.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Agreed, but from a business perspective, you can read into it that non-consent pvp means players will quit. It's that simple. That's not good for business.

However, open world pvp, means you can have it anywhere, but with a flag system like SWG had it limit the amount of players down to those that consent to being pvp'd, and also offers a carrot to those that does not consent because they always will have the opportunity to attack a pvp player,  (first strike) which may bring more into pvp, atleast, if only temporary but if the carrot tastes good then they may go for it again. :)

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Obviously the dev considered something in the post he replied to "bad game design".  The original post made no mention of bad game design, only concerns.
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Probably just means they will have a large safe zone, and an optional wilderness with open pvp that players will want to go to for whatever reason.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Saryhl

First off there were too many PvP and PvE threads fighting over what Everquest Next is going to be, so instead of answering each one, I made my own thread.

So I grew slighty concerned as well as some of my guild-mates about the idea of the EQ IP being changed from a PvE Centric game to a Non Consensual PVP game.

I opted to Ask a number of the Developers.

The Lead Game Designer  answered, and here it is:

So there you have it folks a Bad design decision. Now this most likely means that PvP will continue to be all the rage on the PvP Servers(as it has ALWAYS been) and PvE'ers will continue to be safe from torment while enjoying their gaming experience.

That's the way it should be. Myself, I like pvp servers preferably RP-Pvp servers. I like the pvp and pve server approach. That way i can play on a pvp server and enjoy, and those that prefer not to be bothered with pvp can play on their pve servers and enjoy. I don't see why people gripe about it. Perhaps because they can't force someone who doesn't like and/or isn't good at pvp to be ganked by them continuously. It's usually s%$#y pvp'er that whine about not being able to gank people.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Anthur
    Those SOE guys should definately consider a political career. Say something without saying really anything. ;)

LOL i was thinking the same thing.

we can bet a dollar to a doughnut that we will see PVP and PVE servers as always.  (though we may even see PVP FFA, PVP Faction and PVE servers) 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You kidding right?

"We avoid bad decisions"

Thank god they will not listen to you people who want another themepark with housing, in a world with no risk reward, where you are safe to insult act an ass and not get touched because you don't consent.

that's what that statement means to me.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

You kidding right?

"We avoid bad decisions"

Thank god they will not listen to you people who want another themepark with housing, in a world with no risk reward, where you are safe to insult act an ass and not get touched because you don't consent.

LOL!

Of course it does... image

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

I read that as "non-consensual PVP" = "bad design decision"

That's not what I read.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Smedley is being channeled by everyone else on the team now. They aren't saying anything specific at all, and people are free to interpret what they say nearly any way they want.

This could mean they aren't going to implement non-consensual PvP, or it could mean they are going to implement it, but in a way that avoids what they see as bad design decisions.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Did anyone really believe the trolls who were pushing their full nonconsensual pvp game?  EQ devs aren't stupid.  Hell just go watch Evercracked and see what the original devs on EQ1 thought of pvp...and they were right then as the current devs are right now...it is a bad game design decision.
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Why cant we just have a flagging system like SWG was?  All those people wanting the pvp excitement can have it.  That would cut out the killing of level 2 people in starter areas though which is perhaps the real goal. 

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    ...I wasn't aware so many people had crystal balls at home.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

Originally posted by adderVXI
    Why cant we just have a flagging system like SWG was?  All those people wanting the pvp excitement can have it.  That would cut out the killing of level 2 people in starter areas though which is perhaps the real goal. 

I've been trying to make ppl listen by suggesting the same thing, just look on the first page and in other threads.

That system is the best possible one, that will make most ppl happy, and it's the closest we will get to open world pvp.

The problem is that nobody listens. lol

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

You kidding right?

"We avoid bad decisions"

Why are you so upset? Have you played EQ and know what this game is about? EQN should be new EQ, not Age of Wushu or whatever in EQ skin. To able to gank people was never a core part of EQ.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

I've been trying to make ppl listen by suggesting the same thing, just look on the first page and in other threads.

That system is the best possible one, that will make most ppl happy, and it's the closest we will get to open world pvp.

Your right, the only people that could be unhappy with that set up is the aholes that want to gank pve'ers over and over. 

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Everquest was never and will never be mainly about pvp. I gotta ask why are you pvpers not just all over the Camelot boards where you belong? Or playing Wushu or Darkfall?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• FaarmMercyFaarmMercy Member Posts: 32

EVE doesn't have FFA PVP, either. Most people stay in high-sec.

Personally, I wouldn't mind it if most of the players stayed around the racial starter cities (assuming they have those, ala EQ1). You'd have thriving economies built around the likes of Freeport, Qeynos, Kelethin, et. all.

Want to build your own city and empire with your guildmates? Well, there should be some risk involved. Risk vs. Reward is a good way to balance it.

Originally posted by Maquiame
    Everquest was never and will never be mainly about pvp. I gotta ask why are you pvpers not just all over the Camelot boards where you belong? Or playing Wushu or Darkfall?

I am playing Darkfall, but that shouldn't curb my excitement for EQN, should it?

Your right, the only people that could be unhappy with that set up is the aholes that want to gank pve'ers over and over. 

Exactly! :)

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I'm sure every time someone wants to destroy something they will go through a series of honor duels.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

You kidding right?

"We avoid bad decisions"

Lol, i'm going to enjoy reading your rage come the 2/8/13, seriously if you think EQN is going to be tuned into some PVP love fest then you are mistaken. EQN will have PVP but it will be on PVP severs or, this is how it's always been. Forget about EQN being something we have never seen before, that's all well and good but that doesn't effect how they split the servers.

The problem that you have is if they split the servers then it means that the game is not built around PVP. Smed turning the EQ IP into a PVP IP is like you never wanting to play a PVP game again.

• DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112

The flagging system of SWG is actually better than full open world pvp in my opinion. There was nothing more fun than going into Coronet flagged on my jedi or main and walking around all the other players too afraid to go overt and attack me because they didn't want to die and  become flagged for pvp themselves.