Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fanbois vs. Trolls - which group is more annoying?

2»

Comments

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

Fanboys by far. Trolls are tongue in cheek, whether they mean to be or not. You can pretty much tell a troll doesn't believe half the stuff they say, only the purpose of it, which is to get a reaction and attention.

Fanboys, however, are downright pathological. Part of me wonders if somewhere deep down inside, they agree with the criticisms, so they go that extra mile to post positive things about their game in some delusional hope that sending positive energy out there will make the badness go away. The fact that they're so personally invested in the object of their adoration and lack the objective reality to realize just how ridiculous they're acting is probably one of the most pathetic things you ever see in gaming communities.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Margulis

So folks, in the wonderful world of mmo forums, who do you find more annoying? 

How about those trolls, who love to post negative and bashing comments on games that they have decided they don't like, for whatever reason.  Do they play them?  No!!!  But they still love to take time out of their day to post about how crappy a certain game is that they don't play anyway.  Usually there are no constructive or objective arguments, but childish insults and generic "this game will fail!" comments. 

Or is it the head-in-the-sand fanbois?!  You know them well folks, there isn't a single argument or critique you could make of their favorite game, no matter how well presented or on the money, that won't have a rebuttal claiming it just isn't true!  Nothing is more important to them than the idea of their "perfect game" whose image they must uphold at all costs!!!  Defending their sacred game of choice endlessly, they are apt to turn a blind eye to anything that could tarnish the image of their savior..... ahem... game.  Favorite quote:  "haters gonna hate"

"Trolls" is an ambigious word. It is true that haters often are trolls, but not all trolls are haters.

In general haters are more annoying to me. I find it hard to understand how seeing that some people really love a game can be very annoying. It is annoying when haters just want to do damage and spread negativity even if it doesn't concern them (they don't play and never will).

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by jonrd463

Fanboys by far. Trolls are tongue in cheek, whether they mean to be or not. You can pretty much tell a troll doesn't believe half the stuff they say, only the purpose of it, which is to get a reaction and attention.

Fanboys, however, are downright pathological. Part of me wonders if somewhere deep down inside, they agree with the criticisms, so they go that extra mile to post positive things about their game in some delusional hope that sending positive energy out there will make the badness go away. The fact that they're so personally invested in the object of their adoration and lack the objective reality to realize just how ridiculous they're acting is probably one of the most pathetic things you ever see in gaming communities.

lol, so very well said.  I believe fanbois find a sense of false safety and security  in whatever it is that they are currently worshipping and see as perfect.  Similar to religion, to admit it may not be true or that there could be fault in it would shake their foundation to the very core - so they must deny deny DENY at all costs.  And you're right, it's like none of them can see how ridiculous they are behaving or acting at times, or how absurd some of their arguments are that no one but themselves and other fanbois could ever believe.  Blind, unfaltering loyalty.  And as others have posted, a large collection of fanbois can really do damage to a game as they will defend en masse even the biggest issues and problems of a game, resulting in it not getting addressed as the developers are presented with this army of "we don't care everything is fine!" outcry from the fanbois that overshadows the regular gamers.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Nobody is immune to be being a troll or a fanboi.
  • DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

I voted both. 

I find fanbois are more annoying pre-launch to a game by hyping it up so much. 

Trolls are annoying after the game is launched because they constantly point out "I told you so". 

6 months after the game launched neither care about the game and have moved onto the next. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

The way i see it is if your a fanboy you have no rights however if your a troll your glorified, especially on these forums, i am most likely going to get another warning as i did the last time i said a vast mojority on these forums are plaguing the mmo community but meh i'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

The 2  differences i find are Fanboys like to promote there game in the hopes they can find a game that will actually succeed where trolls will rubbish it be it they have first hand experience or not, Trolls are nothing other than asshats that think they are tough over the internet and in a way are bullying others where fanboys do nothing other than express how much they are usually looking forward to there game when it releases. Yes Fanboys have extremist which also make false claims e.t.c but it is usually in the hopes that there game will be the shit that everyone talks about.

I don't see how they fall on camparison grounds as one has good hopes for something where the other has nothing usually intelligent to say as all they have in mind is to drive people away from something that could have the potential to be great.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Nobody is immune to be being a troll or a fanboi.

I believe everyone has had their moments at some point, but you have to admit, there's a few standout cases out there that go above and beyond your run of the mill fandom (or trolldom).

I was thinking about the opposite of a fanboy, and I'm not sure if they could be considered trolls or haters (btw, I don't really like the word "hater" in the context its used nowadays. People throw that out even over the most simple and harmless disagreements and it dilutes the meaning. Sort of how people like to throw around "racist").

I call them anti-fanboys. They pick a game and make their entire online existence a crusade to talk about just how deeply and thoroughly a particular game sucks. More often than not, all you have to do to bring them out of the woodwork is mention WoW. These same types will usually call anyone who even hints that WoW isn't a completely terrible game a fanboy.

It's interesting how the dichotomy is so black and white with no allowance for gray of any shade in between with certain people.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

Originally posted by charlizd

The way i see it is if your a fanboy you have no rights however if your a troll your glorified, especially on these forums, i am most likely going to get another warning as i did the last time i said a vast mojority on these forums are plaguing the mmo community but meh i'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

The 2  differences i find are Fanboys like to promote there game in the hopes they can find a game that will actually succeed where trolls will rubbish it be it they have first hand experience or not, Trolls are nothing other than asshats that think they are tough over the internet and in a way are bullying others where fanboys do nothing other than express how much they are usually looking forward to there game when it releases. Yes Fanboys have extremist which also make false claims e.t.c but it is usually in the hopes that there game will be the shit that everyone talks about.

I don't see how they fall on camparison grounds as one has good hopes for something where the other has nothing usually intelligent to say as all they have in mind is to drive people away from something that could have the potential to be great.

Fanboys don't just try to promote hope. Fanboys are COMPLETELY intolerant of any sort of criticism, even if the criticism is offered with the hope and intent of instigating improvements to the game. There's a difference between having a positive outlook and being downright blind of even the most glaring of faults. They're like the black knight from Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail, except even the knight is self-aware enough to acknowledge that he's got a wound of some type when he gets his arms lopped off. A fanboy in that case would be like "NO! YOU'RE JUST A HATER! I still have my arms, quit lying!"

Originally posted by charlizd

Fanboys don't just try to promote hope. Fanboys are COMPLETELY intolerant of any sort of criticism, even if the criticism is offered with the hope and intent of instigating improvements to the game. There's a difference between having a positive outlook and being downright blind of even the most glaring of faults. They're like the black knight from Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail, except even the knight is self-aware enough to acknowledge that he's got a wound of some type when he gets his arms lopped off. A fanboy in that case would be like "NO! YOU'RE JUST A HATER! I still have my arms, quit lying!"

And the trolls are different how? If somebody has something good to say about something WHY do the haters/trolls/naysayers have to try and prove them wrong, it is there opinion? and you could say the same about the others they are just saying there opinion but the difference is that the haters/trolls e.t.c whatever ppl want other than to be an asshole, but the people that like the game are trying to make something positive with the hopes of recruiting a decent community to play the game they love, and this is what MMO's today lack there communities absolutely suck with the exception of a few games out there, and they are usually the dieing ones. Trolls/haters/ what ever the fuck there called do nothing for the MMO genre other than bring grief to not only the community but the the companies developing the games.

Tell me one positive thing these haters bring to this genre of video games? or any video game for that matter?

I can guarantee that the reason why most games fail these days iss not purely because the game failed to deliver but moreso because of the community that brings the game down, if a game has no community it has no staying power, and yes polish and features are a main factor i know but they are worth a pinch of shit if you have no one playing.

Why do you think no one is trying to re-invent the wheel with MMO's? why are we seeing the same rubbish game being made over and over again? it is only now that alot of companies are trying to go the sandbox route as most of the haters are usually attention depraved morons and hopefully by getting some good sanbox games out we will once again start seeing a community get a hold on what could be a great thing, MMO's today are nothing more than a visual bullying centre, you dont even need to play an mmorpg to see this look at FPS games, some of the people you get in these games you want to just reach through the screen and punch them in the face for being an absolute waste of fucking air, MMO's are now suffering from this kind of shit in game and out, most notably on here, and i'm not saying that to bash MMORPG.COM but because it is one of if not the most popular forum sites for this genre.

But like i said what is wrong with people wanting something to succeed for once?

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

They're not the same? go figure.

As of my vote (fanboi) was 62 votes in. reads as follows...

Fanboi - 30%

Troll - 29%

Equal - 40%

Seems they are the same thing.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

It's interesting how the dichotomy is so black and white with no allowance for gray of any shade in between with certain people.

You can thank the labels. Once you've decided a label applies to (personx), you're not arguing with him any more. You're arguing with others of the same class, a sort of general collection of all of their combined flaws.

Honestly, I don't remember when moderators started finding "Fanboy" an acceptable insult. You can't use the N-word, or that other (WWII) N-word...  But fanboy? That's ok to use. A politically correct direct insult, only a D- on the flaming scale.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    They're both annoying, but trolls are more annoying since they're usually the one causing a scene.  Fanbois just happen to like a game a lot.
    i guess you could read them as a positive troll and a negative troll....either way who gives a shit lol.
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

It all comes down to the inability to accept that others may have a different take on it than you do.

That goes for both haters (how can anyone possibly defend this?!) and fanboysandgirls (how can anyone possibly whine this much?).

I'm guilty at being both, as are you.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Trolls are the worst

They start more flame wars than anyone else.

They remind me of those people who focus on logic and the "proper" way to debate. They will dismiss anything you say, even it they know its true, all because you didn't "properly" format your argument.

Its a sick game that only losers play.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Depends if the game is one you're rooting for or not. :p
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Trolls dont bother me as much because they don't cost me any money...Now what is annoying is when people start spewing off how great such and such game is, then you buy it and realize you've wasted your money on garbage....
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This is not appropriate.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.